'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse Market Decline article...long but very well written.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-12-06 7:37 PM
37 replies, 8982 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

heavyhorse
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-01 11:40 PM (#72226)
Subject: Horse Market Decline article...long but very well written.

Nov 2007 http://www.corralonline.com/articles/article060406190644.htm

Edited by heavyhorse 2007-12-01 11:50 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-12-02 7:36 AM (#72233 - in reply to #72226)
Subject: RE: Horse Market Decline article...long but very well written.

Veteran

That was a very well written article....thanks for sharing. I have witnessed some of the phenomenon mentioned first hand at the Billings, Montana, horse auction, one the largest on the North American continent. I also follow the monthly sales report via a newsletter and online. Finished pleasure horses......many times grade, bring a minimum of $5,000. Many go for 7K and much higher. Many baby boomers, such as myself, perfer a finished horse, as the article pointed out. In last month's newsletter, the owner of the Billings sale put out a nationwide plea to contact members of state legislatures nationwide to bring back slaughter. He poignantly pointed out that is much better to have the horses going to U.S. slaughter plants, with controls in place, vs. a terrible trip and slaughter in Mexico. Unbrokes at the sale, with respectable papers are going for $50 - $100. Some are being bought and left behind at the sale barn. I suppose the dealers buy, then take the best, and leave the rest. At those prices, it can be done.  I was talking with an acquaintance last weekend who told me (I do not have any verification) that horse slaughter is now occurring off shore, in international waters. Can you imagine the last trip for some of these horses, if in fact, this is true? The old adage "the cheapest price you pay for a horse is the purchase price" is so true. "Free" horses are not free. While seasoned horse folks understand this, newbies, many times, do not. Too bad folks don't take the time to add up hay, grain, board, vet bills, emergency vet bills, equipment, etc., before taking the plunge. Many of these "free" horses will probably be passed on as "free" if they are lucky. It also sounds as if the tax structure needs changed to benefit trainers.  

Brenda     

heavyhorse
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-02 10:30 AM (#72247 - in reply to #72226)

We personally just "gifted" a nice, sound, sane well broke gelding. No one was interested in buying. We gave him to a nice home after paying $2800 for him. Everyone is unloading them here in FL for sure. We even had people looking at our free horse before looking at another free horse! Sad.
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-12-02 11:01 AM (#72249 - in reply to #72226)

Veteran

Yep, well written I agree. 

Another thing I have noticed in my area is with how the economy has been, not many people have a whole lot of extra money to spend either.  As a trainer, the past 2 yrs I have had an increase in people asking for trades in exchange for training. Quite a few of them too have alot of young unbroke horses.  Alot of them also ask about payments or want to have their horse here for a very short time.  I have gotten requests to get a horse started under saddle in 2 wks.

As far as buying horses, many people in my area don't want to pay much  and they don't care if they have a brand name.  From what I have seen the avg horse owner in my area doesn't want to spend on their horses.  Alot of them try to get by cheap.  Sometimes they are so cheap that they are endangering themselves, horses with bad quality horses, tack, equip. 

I have been debating about breeding my mare who is a daughter of a leading top 5 sire app.  I had gotten it thrown in when I bought her that I could get a breeding off a stallion that the seller has.  He is a nice stud but not necessarily a brand name.  The question I guess one has to ask themselves is are you breeding to sell or are you breeding to keep.  If you breeding to keep, make sure it is something that you will want.  Actually, for resale value, what one should do is breed her to the top leading sire.    

The way the horse market is going is part of the reason I went back to school for nursing.  This way I can train horses but I still have the nursing job as a back up. 

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-12-02 10:49 PM (#72278 - in reply to #72226)

Expert

I guess the dressage market is more insulated...

Lower level horse prices are very steady and the upper level horses are still rising in cost...

Also, imports are still occurring at a fairly brisk clip...

Training fees are still fairly secure...highly variable based on skill level...currently anywhere from $35/hr to $150/hr

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-12-02 10:52 PM
heavyhorse
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-03 12:30 AM (#72293 - in reply to #72226)

Not in FL...dressage market is not booming. Maybe the NW is having good luck, but the average 1st, 2nd level horse market here has tanked. Clinic attendance is down. Not sure on show attendance. I'm sure USDF would have the numbers. I guess there will always be a buyer for a good schoolmaster, but I guess that market could flood as well too. I guess most dressage riders don't keep a string, but only one or two and that is the highest income per capita equine activity. It would be the last to recede I assume? Horses are selling..just for a lot less. Buyers market for sure.
heavyhorse
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-03 1:03 AM (#72294 - in reply to #72226)

Guess it isn't just horses...horse trailer sales down 40% and stock trailers 59% 3rd quarter. http://www.natda.org/News.asp?article=18

Edited by heavyhorse 2007-12-03 1:08 AM
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-12-03 5:40 AM (#72297 - in reply to #72294)

Elite Veteran

I'm not taking sides with slaughter. I can understand the reasoning behind both sides but now that it's banned, why do we allow them to be hauled out of the country? In my opinion there are strings dangling which are associated with the ban that apparently weren't addressed.

Long read but a good one.

Edited by Gone 2007-12-03 5:51 AM
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-12-03 7:25 AM (#72306 - in reply to #72226)

Extreme Veteran

I do believe bringing back slaughter would help balance the market again.  But I also believe there needs to be cut backs on breeding.  It is ironic, I hear stallion owners blaming mare owners, yet when those mare owners call up and say I have cash in hand, the stallion owners don't turn them down.  It takes two to reproduce.  Yet nobody wants to slow the flow. 

I suggest we bring back slaughter, work on better humane euthenasia and enforcement.  As it is we are all hurting by this now.

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-12-03 7:29 AM (#72307 - in reply to #72226)

Veteran

I can understand lesser people wanting to buy trailers.  I have been looking at getting a different one.  Because the price of metal the trailer I have been looking at has been increasing aleast 4% in price every yr.  They are getting quite pricey when you try to figure out how you are going to make payments on one.  I was going sell my present one but it appears too that no one wants to pay much for it.  So then you figure that it is easier to just keep what you have.

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-12-03 7:42 AM (#72309 - in reply to #72226)

Veteran

Good article and so true.  Where I am at things are not good at all.  Horse prices are down and so are housing and real estate.  Have two horses-one is a throughbred-horse racing is big business and that is having its problems.  CANTER and other places taking unwanted horses in are full up and many other horses are on a waiting list.  About two weeks ago I was at a hay auction and one guy said that in Kentucky horses are running loose since people can not take care of them.  Horse staughter-nobody wants-but I think it should be brought back.  My other horse is a paint-to register him cost us a small fortune.  No breeding this year or next year.  Just waiting things out and until things get a little better.   
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-12-03 10:17 AM (#72329 - in reply to #72226)

Elite Veteran

The next thing we need to worry about according the the notification I got from AQHA, is Senete Bill 311. The way I am understanding it is one senator wants to make it illegal to haul horses for ANY reason. You can go to AQHA.com to read it. They are asking us to contact our congressmen. This is going way to far! I would post it, but not saavy enough to know how. Help on that would be appreciated.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-12-03 10:33 AM (#72332 - in reply to #72226)

Elite Veteran

From: AQHA@aqha.comDate: November 28, 2007 11:33:32 PM CSTTo: (American Quarter Horse Association)Subject: AQHA Action Alert SB311Reply-To: (American Quarter Horse Association)?
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-12-03 3:23 PM (#72347 - in reply to #72226)

Veteran

Horse hauling?  What a joke.  Are they also gonna to illegalize hauling other livestock and animals then?  I haven't read the article but it sounds like the people who are pushing it are for animal rights.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-12-03 6:09 PM (#72356 - in reply to #72226)

Expert

This one's for you GeneBob...

http://www.aqha.com/email/ActionAlertSB311.html

AQHA ACTION ALERT - SENATE BILL 311

Dear AQHA Member:

TRANSPORTING ANY HORSE FOR ANY ACTIVITY MAY BE AT RISK!

Senator Mary Landrieu (D)-Louisiana, has succeeded in scheduling Senate Bill 311 for a floor vote. You may recall this bill reads “To amend the Horse Protection Act to prohibit the shipping, transporting, moving, delivering, receiving, possessing, purchasing, selling, or donation of horses and other equines to be slaughtered for human consumption, and for other purposes.

Senator Landrieu has offered the following amendment to this bill:

Section 3 of the Horse Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 1822) is amended to add the following:

`(1) horses and other equines play a vital role in the collective experience of the United States and deserve protection and compassion;
`(2) horses and other equines are domestic animals that are used primarily for recreation, pleasure, and sport;
`(3) unlike cows, pigs, and many other animals, horses and other equines are not raised for the purpose of being slaughtered for human consumption;
`(4) individuals selling horses or other equines at auctions are seldom aware that the animals may be bought for the purpose of being slaughtered for human consumption;
`(5) the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of the Department of Agriculture has found that horses and other equines cannot be safely and humanely transported in double deck trailers;'; and
(3) by striking paragraph (8) (as redesignated by paragraph (1)) and inserting the following:
`(8) the movement, showing, exhibition, or sale of sore horses in intrastate commerce, and the shipping, transporting, moving, delivering, receiving, possessing, purchasing, selling, or donation in intrastate commerce of horses and other equines to be slaughtered for human consumption, adversely affect and burden interstate and foreign commerce;'.

(c) Prohibition- Section 5 of the Horse Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 1824) is amended--

(1) by redesignating paragraphs (8) through (11) as paragraphs (9) through (12), respectively; and
(2) by inserting after paragraph 7 the following:
`(8) The shipping, transporting, moving, delivering, receiving, possessing, purchasing, selling, or donation of any horse or other equine to be slaughtered for human consumption.'.

(d) Authority To Detain- Section 6(e) of the Horse Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 1825(e)) is amended--

(1) by striking the first sentence of paragraph (1);
(2) by redesignating paragraphs (1) and (2) and as paragraphs (2) and (3), respectively; and
(3) by inserting before paragraph (2) (as redesignated by paragraph (2)) the following:

`(1) The Secretary may detain for examination, testing, or the taking of evidence--

`(A) any horse at any horse show, horse exhibition, or horse sale or auction that is sore or that the Secretary has probable cause to believe is sore; and
`(B) any horse or other equine that the Secretary has probable cause to believe is being shipped, transported, moved, delivered, received, possessed, purchased, sold, or donated in violation of section 5(8).'.

(e) Authorization of Appropriations- Section 12 of the Horse Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 1831) is amended by striking `$500,000' and inserting `$5,000,000'.

This bill may have far-reaching effects on our members and their ability to buy and sell horses. Members may sell horses unaware of the buyer's intent with the animal and to where it may be transported, possibly resulting in legal ramifications for the seller. This legislation is vague and ambiguous and its passage could have far-reaching consequences. We urge you to contact the senators of your state and voice your opposition to this legislation and the funding to enact it. To contact your senator, telephone (202) 224-3121 and ask to be transferred to your senators' offices. When speaking with your Senators' office, please tell them you are opposed to Senate Bill 311 as written.

Congress resumes business on Monday, December 3rd. Please do your part and call on Monday!

AQHA PUBLIC POLICY COMMITTEE

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-12-03 6:10 PM
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-12-03 9:14 PM (#72368 - in reply to #72226)

Elite Veteran

Wow!.....
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-12-03 9:56 PM (#72372 - in reply to #72226)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Paul!!!!!!!So how do you post from your email?
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-12-04 6:54 AM (#72379 - in reply to #72372)

Expert

Originally written by genebob on 2007-12-03 9:56 PM

Thanks Paul!!!!!!!So how do you post from your email?

Just copy the lines you want...open a post/reply on this site and paste...

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-12-04 10:28 AM (#72387 - in reply to #72226)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Paul. I appreciate your help.
rk&g
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-05 12:13 PM (#72449 - in reply to #72226)

New User

Is AQHA for slaughter ? - is it so they can breed without limitation and receive financial benefit without responsibility? EUTHANASIA not slaughter, but then one would have to pay some dollars(euthanasia/rendering) for over breeding versus getting paid for it. S.311 bill is about protecting America's horses from slaughter by "no transport for human consumption".... not transporting horses to shows or transporting to sell horses to legitimate owners. Challenge: Anyone to spend a day at one of the horse slaughter plants and tell us about how bringing back slaughter would be an acceptable option for any horse. Because “any” horse is what goes to slaughter; young, old, well-trained, wild/feral, a favorite pony, church camp horses, schoolmasters, sick, injured, show horses with confirmation and abilities for bright futures (documented and seen being transported to or at slaughter facilities). Anyone who has seen horses slaughtered, see the horses experience extreme fear before they are hit with the dead bolt gun which electrically drives a four inch nail into the horse's skull, splitting it, optimally causing a cerebral hemorrhage, rendering the horse not dead but unconscious before it is bled out and limbs removed. Many times, the horse is still conscious when it is bled, and its legs removed. And the horses shot with the captive dead bolt actually got up from the floor of the knock box at least once, if not twice, and violently flayed around, trying to climb over the sides before the second or third hit took them down. It is absolutely incorrect that the captive dead bolt gun is a quick, instantaneous death. That anyone should have sympathy for operations which breed "hundreds of horses each year" - and don't have the money for euthanasia and carcass removal. It goes with the territory. If you can afford to own, show or breed horses, you can afford to euthanize them whenever necessary. This expense is no more than two sets of shoes or a colic call. An owner's responsibility does not end with the usefulness of the horse. Slaughter rewards rampant over breeding and irresponsible horse ownership. Once the Senate bill passes, there won't be anymore horses getting through the borders (legally) to Canada or Mexico for slaughter. Please contact your senator and support S. 311 which will help protect America’s horses from a one-way trip to a horrendous inhumane death.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-12-05 12:41 PM (#72451 - in reply to #72226)

Expert

RK&G, You can be for the well being of horses all you want, but anti-slaughter folks have cause way more problems than I think they were bargaining for. Horses being left on public property to starve, we have folks here in Kentucky that have rented pastures for a month just to load the pasture up with horses and walk away. Not everyone wants to dispose of the carcus of a dead horse, not everyone can even make the call to a vet to have a horse put down. This is not to even mention the fact that all of us as horse owners have lost money on our animals due to the overpopulation of horses that we have already seen. That problem is just going to get worse. So Mr. animal rights I hope you have some very deep pockets to deal with the problems that have been created. I did call my Congressman and Senators and let them know my feelings, thank you for reminding me.

Edited by HWBar 2007-12-05 12:45 PM
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-12-05 2:03 PM (#72455 - in reply to #72226)

Elite Veteran

rk- If you had read the article, the main point was that Ms. Louisana senator wants to make it illegal to transport any horse that appears to be lame, whether at a show, auction or anywhere else. Yes I've seen horses, cattle, hogs, and sheep put down for slaughter. None of them are a pretty sight to see. But neither is a starving horse, whether it be by neglect or from illness. Have you ever watched someone you love die of cancer? Not a pretty sight either. And, for the record, AQHA has not taken a stance on the horse slaughter issue.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-12-05 2:45 PM (#72460 - in reply to #72226)

Extreme Veteran

rk

Many vets will NOT euthenize a healthy horse, even if the horse is considered a danger.

Also, there are far less rendering companies now than ever, you have to pay at least $200-300 for them to pick up a horse because they have to come so far now and with high fuel costs.

So is it better for them to be turned loose and fend for themselves, thus endangering wildlife and humans when they cross a road?  These horses are domesticated, they don't have the wherewithal that the mustangs have.  Many don't have the immunity built up as the mustangs do.

We are seeing more and more neglect cases BECAUSE the horses are not going to slaughter in the USA.  Thanks to bleeding hearts like yourself, they are in for WORSE torture in Mexico. 

By the way how many hundred have you taken in?????  I have gotten emails, letters, even phone calls from animal rescues pleading for money because they can't take care of the unending surge of horses coming in.

Trust me, there are folks out there taking pictures of the horses getting turned loose, of the rise in neglect cases all...thanks to folks like you.

I don't believe folks are breeding for meat.  There may be a minor few who do, but the bulk do not.  What happens isn't the big breeders, it is the backyard breeders who breed unregistered stud to swayback mare because of "convenience" and because they want a cutesy foal.  Then the foal grows up, has no manners, hurts someone and wham..ends up at auction.

Sometimes there are horses that are born downright mean, and nobody can change them for the better.

We don't live in a perfect world.  There is always going to be things that go on we don't care for. 

I would much rather see a horse go the way of captive bolt vs a slow agonizing death.   The rescues out there are so overburdened.  They are turning horses away.  Where are all the bleeding hearts?  You got your vote, now where is YOUR action in this situation to provide for these animals you want rescued????

I don't see you buying them at auction, I don't see you at the kill pens bringing them home.  I went to the sale two weeks ago and prices are the lowest I have ever seen in my entire life.

You want to do right by the horses, get the senators to amend the bill and get slaughter back.  At least it is a heck of alot better than seeing horses wasting away in a field. 

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-12-05 7:09 PM (#72478 - in reply to #72226)

Expert

Many well read well reasoned opinions here.  Agree with the poster above, as well.

Just a side note, the bolt gun has put down 1000's of animals at the commercial meat (not horse) company I am acquainted with.  These animals go down instantly... their skulls are quite a bit thicker than a horse's.  Not saying this is perfect, but 99% of the time is very very effective, there is not a perfect system, but certainly animals dying of infestation, colic, wounds and starvation is much less humane.  And, if you read that bill thoroughly, I would like to know the legal provision in there for hauling a sore or lame horse to ... the vet?  One would then also be breaking the law...  I too, will be in contact with my representatives, telling them that common sense must prevail, and that bill be defeated in that it represents an emotional response, and not a reasoned one.

Edited by flyinghfarm 2007-12-05 7:10 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-12-05 8:01 PM (#72485 - in reply to #72226)

RK

How many horses have you taken in?  How many crippled ponies have you taken in?  How many miles have you driven to pick up a crippled pony?  Or unwanted colt?  How many horses do you have buried in your land?

It appears that you are regurgitating something from an animal rights site and that the info is out of date.  There is only one slaughter plant for horses in the US and it is in IL.  That is the problem;  there should be a slaughter facility in every state. That way it would be unnecessary to haul slaughter bound horses any distance.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)