'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
4500 chevy

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-23 12:12 AM
35 replies, 5981 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-06-22 1:29 PM (#43454 - in reply to #43160)
Subject: RE: 4500 chevy

Expert

Originally written by 3yrHitch2Bumper on 2006-06-17 1:22 PM

Some people might not like what I am about to say,but here it goes......

A couple years ago when these trucks came out,they were the greatest thing going....alittle bigger than a 3500...more braking power...crew cab...companies doing nice conversions...$65-$75,000 list prices...dvd...air seats...hauler bed...leather trim.. etc..etc..etc... it was a great idea by GM to put these trucks out...but since then the market has not been good to them.....as of today....trade in values are very low.....they are not holding there value.....I have dealt with people who have traded their C4500 in with less than 10,000 miles & are taking $15,000/$20,000 hits.....This is true....NO BS.....to be very frank....the truck is nothing more than a over sized dually.....Your dealers are making alot of $$ on the consumer....but the consumer is not getting it back on the back end......It is true....

Read this one Mr. Truck for the M2/IH sales literature requotes. Then you can read the other thread and see where Mr. 3 yr. has PM'd hav2ride about the M2/IH. Original post by hav2 is asking for imput on the GM 4500. If Mr. 3yr. is such a great sales rep I think he would have been a registered user of this site for more than 12 days. Probley can back up 12 days and see who stopped useing the site to find out who he was before then. When someone is on here asking for imput from someone who uses the truck, that's what they want. They don't need some dealer trying to sell them a different kind of truck. If someone else wants to say they are happy with the other brands that's fine. I don't want to pick a fight here, but just like your trailer reviews, I have read the last three and they all sounded like a paid endorsement of the manufactures involved, thats what you get paid for I quess. Hav2 was looking for a real user of the GM 4500 and she(I think) had one with TX Vaquero, then ole 3yr. jumps in and starts spewing sales rederick from the pages of M2 product catalogs. He got called out on it from three users Me, Reg and Tx. Vaquero that's all. And by the way I am in no way speaking for the other two.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-22 2:13 PM (#43458 - in reply to #43136)

Elite Veteran

That's the post that got my attention and why I posted. I wanted a more fair view of what the C4500 was and why in a latter post I say it's not a fair comparison putting class 4 trucks against class 6 trucks. I think hav2ride was also in other posts asking about M2's trying to decide between the two. So the two trucks do get talked about together often. We're not consumer reports here. My trailer reviews do show the unique points of those trailers. I report what most folks don't get the chance to see as the trailers are being built. With trucks you can compare 5 truck brands and pick a winner. How do you accurately compare 150 trailer brands? We do the best we can. I write for magazines also and show me the truck review in any of the major truck magazines from any writer that is harsh on the truck manufacture. We are civilized. Large forums on the other hand can have a vocal small group that likes to bash dealers and manufactures. We haven't been strict on enforcing kindness here like most large forums end up doing. I've learned in my life that being negative never works. Something I learned from Zig Zigglar. Doesn't work with kids, spouses, bankers, horses.

HWB I am glad you read my last three reviews. You can read them all and the truck and accessory reviews at http://www.towingreview.com/ . In my Hart review last month at the beginning I asked for comments about what folks wanted to see in the reviews. I didn't get any suggestions from your there. It's not an easy task. But we try.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-22 4:15 PM (#43467 - in reply to #43136)

I'm going to give ya'll one more on this deal and you won't hear from me on it again. In April my buddies with the FL 60, SportinChassis and I pulled out of the Rose Palace, George Strait's arena north of San Antonio, at about 4 pm. We drove to another buddies place west of El Paso and let the ponies frolic for about an hour and a half, then drove to Phoenix, stopping once to get rid of the beer we drank while the ponies played, and pulled into Phoenix at 8am. The trailers all weighed within about 500 lbs. of each other, all had 3 horses. We all filled up when we got there and there wasn't $10 difference in what we all burned. You can do the math on how we drove, but we didn't waste much time. I change the oil/filter about 3,000 miles, whenever I can get it shut down long enough, fuel filter every other oil change, trans fluid/filter and differential about 25,000 miles. Will this truck last 400,000 like I drove my FL 60? Maybe not, but the Duramax is not a throw away engine either. There may be a difference in ride in the trucks, all have airride, but I can't tell much, especially when loaded. I don't have all the geewhiz stuff the SportinChassis has, but the dog doesn't mind much and the horses don't seem to notice. I did add a bypass oil filter kit and a deep sump trans. pan to the truck. May help in the long haul. I think somebody stuck Truck Trader with a lemon or else he also is trying desperately to sell another brand of truck. Either that or he was trying to call me a liar, which certainly wouldn't be a very Christian thing to do. Adios.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-22 5:20 PM (#43471 - in reply to #43136)

First, let me state that I am NOT a dealer. I went to a dealer in TN that advertises here on this website that had all of the trucks mention, ie...FL 60, FL 70, M2, IH, mini pete, the Ford Supercruizer and new GMC 4500. I sat in them all and drove most of them. First I bought the FL 60. I liked it so much, I later went back and bought the M2..... This is 100% fact .  I ,like most folks, had seen almost all these trucks at the QH Congress and the AQHA World shows. I knew I wanted better visability and better braking. I really thought I was going to buy the GMC until after I drove it. I was disappointed with it to say the least. I wanted this choice to be the last trailer pulling truck I was going to have to buy. I decided on the "million mile" truck. At the time, there was only $33 K between the well dressed GMC 4500 with the duramax and the M2 Sportchassis with the Cat. I own a GMC 1 ton with the Duramax and have had very good service out of it so I was not brand specific. I researched , studied, talked to everyone I could that had a medium duty truck. I wanted the truck to last since my hubby will be retiring in about 7 years and I did not want to have to buy another closer to or after retirement. I figured that when we get too old to ride, it can pull a really nice travel trailer. I also wanted something that was going to keep a good resale value so when we no longer needed it, it would find a good home without having to "give" it away. I also took in consideration that Freightliner has 24H 7daya week service in every major city. I saw that as a very big plus. I know Peterbuilt also offers it but I thought the mini pete rode rough and drove like a truck drivers truck.  Anyway, that is why I picked the M2 over all the others.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-22 6:32 PM (#43474 - in reply to #43136)

Are you seeking absolution for spending your hubby's hard earned money and your kid's inheritance, or what? I miss the point of your last post, but I'm kinda slow, just a cowboy.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-22 7:09 PM (#43476 - in reply to #43136)

No, TxV....I am giving an HONEST account of my experience of medium truck shopping from a middle age female's perspective. I am simply sharing MY rationale for MY choice. It is a proven fact that most women want alot of creature comforts that most men consider unnecessary. More women haul the kids to shows and trailrides than men. I am sure alot of women reading this thread can relate to that. Women also are bigger on preventive maintenance and prefer  to haul their horses down the road without having to worry about potenial breakdowns and not getting the tool kit out. I am not trying to turn this into women vs men. But, some of you guys are intend in trying to overpower others opinions. I answered this post because more women ARE going to the larger trucks for pulling their LQ trailers and I thought they would be interested in how I arrived at MY choice.  

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-22 7:35 PM (#43477 - in reply to #43136)

Now I understand, thanks.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-22 8:06 PM (#43479 - in reply to #43136)

Expert

The DURAMAX engine is NOT a Medium DUTY RATED engine.Its a LIGHT duty.Ratings are given by hours between overhauls etc at max continous run torgue.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-22 8:53 PM (#43480 - in reply to #43479)

Expert

Originally written by hounddog on 2006-06-22 8:06 PM

The DURAMAX engine is NOT a Medium DUTY RATED engine.Its a LIGHT duty.Ratings are given by hours between overhauls etc at max continous run torgue.

...and your source for that statement is ?

or

Did GM tell Ya that ?
If not then who ?
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-06-22 9:12 PM (#43484 - in reply to #43136)

Expert

Diesel sites and FROM G.M. Read the G.M ads.They state its  rated as a LIGHT duty.So is the 6.0.That why the optinal engine in a 650 series Fords is a B series Cummin.Both of those I believe  is a 250k overhaul and the B series is 350.They can and will go longer in pickups as they are  not in  a continous run at max rpm application.Now that 4500 with a CAT and a REAL Allison would be worth looking at.

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-23 12:12 AM (#43490 - in reply to #43136)

Elite Veteran

As I said in my original post in this thread, GM rates the Duramax lower horsepower and torque in the C4500/5500 vrs. HD 2500/3500. This was common on 2 ton trucks in the past and you will see this with a gas engine in a 1/2 ton verses the same gas engine in a 3/4 ton. The reason given by GM management as well as a common practice in the past was because the larger class 4 and above cab & chassis trucks where designed to be loaded or towing 90% of the time verces 10% of the time for a pickup truck. Detuning the engine was to increase life.

Ford and GM rates their diesels in class 2 and 3 trucks at 250,000 miles life expectency and Dodge rates their diesels in class 2 and 3 trucks at 300,000 miles. As is a published press release from the manufactures. The real question with modern diesel trucks isn't how long will the engine last but how long will the transmission last. Allisons have an edge there. Cat is pushing their auto tranny in RV's this year. We'll see how well the new 6 speed auto from Dodge does this fall.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)