'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Two pics from this weekends ride.....

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-23 9:24 PM
33 replies, 8737 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-22 5:22 PM (#87939 - in reply to #87083)
Subject: RE: Two pics from this weekends ride.....

Extreme Veteran

Yeh for the Limousine!!!   That's all we raise is Purebred Limousine and you're right the market is deifnately wanting black calves.  People think I'm crazy when I say we have both cows and horses, but I tell them that those calves I sell every year pay for the hay we buy every year.  Its a great way to offset the cost of having horses.  It's the way I support my horse habit for me and my kids.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-22 7:12 PM (#87951 - in reply to #87936)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by flyinghfarm on 2008-07-22 3:05 PM

Ha!  and I forgot to mention we are running a herd of black limousine cross cows with a brangus bull and last cow calved yesterday, and I take care of them 90% of the time, and did not have to pull a calf this season!  Yea!  There is one longhorn cow for decoration, and she had a solid black calf, and the one other colored cow, a Santa Gertrudis, (who is as calm and kind as could possibly be) has a solid black bull at side, so the calf crop this year is miraculously all black, which has the best market around here.

And here:

http://www.findmespot.com/ExploreSPOT/HowItWorks/Check-in.aspx

Yup, that's me too! 90% of the time if not a few more percentile more! LOL!!! But we raise Angus/Angus cross. In fact you can see the thread on "look what we came home to from our campout..." that's what is in my backyard now! I was 7 months pregnant with my son during our calving of our heifers, I had to pull a calf in the rain while my belly kept me sunk down in the mud!It was quite a sight if you can imagine.....

Crowley,

Too funny! Can you make up flyers for us with, beware of these two ladies on them!!!!!! 

Terri J
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-07-22 7:20 PM (#87954 - in reply to #87838)

tom-tom
Ya know it is great to hear people say that. Last year I borrowed a dead broke little pony instead of riding my some times "mare'ish" mare just to take my 2 almost 3 year old on a ride with me. I got everything from "how cute" to " I can't belive she has that baby with her" to "that is child endangerment". I didn't have to touch the reins the whole way. The little pony took care of the both of us with out a mis-step. This year we have a great gelding that we can throw the buddy seat on to take him with. Which, by the way, he absolutely loves! Next year it will hopefully be our son(4) and daughter(1) riding along with us. This is the only thing we do and enjoy as a family, well besides supper but that can get a little testy too sometimes :)

Edited by Terri J 2008-07-22 7:22 PM
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-22 7:43 PM (#87956 - in reply to #87083)

Extreme Veteran

I can't imagine having to pull a calf when pregnant - but then again I have twins so most of the cow stuff my husband did then.  Been lucky this yr and haven't had to pull one yet but  the vet taught my husband to reach in and grab a leg and pull last yr at my dad's farm.  He was not raised with cows and she thought it was really fun!!  It's good to hear that other folks enjoy the simple (but not always clean) things in life.
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 7:52 PM (#87959 - in reply to #87954)

Veteran

Terri - That is really cool. I have been riding since before I can remember so I know my mom did the same with me. I have been wondering when I get ready for children how far into my pregnancy I can ride and then how quickly I'll be able to take the little one with me. One person told me the kids have to be 8 or so before they can go. I just couldn't believe that.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-22 9:12 PM (#87974 - in reply to #87083)

Extreme Veteran

Ah, I was riding up until 6 months, as because I pinched my sciatic nerve and riding didn't help it. So I did alot of ranch work that I would normally do on the horse on foot! That included chasing cattle out of the fields and in to vax, or whatever it may be! Sitting and balancing in the saddle was just murder on that nerve. Then I had a c-section and rode 3 weeks later with Cody in a little front pappose thing while I was sorting cattle in the corrals. When he needed a diaper change I rode by the panels and passed him off to my husband, and then he would pass him back when done! I know that sounds pretty funny, but that's how we did it. My doctor freaked when I told her I was already riding, she goes...."you've had a major abdomnial surgery, you need to heal, no bouncing, and climbing!" Yeah, right!!!!!!!!!

Edited by cowpony01 2008-07-22 9:13 PM
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-22 9:40 PM (#87977 - in reply to #87083)

Extreme Veteran

I don't know any OBGYN that would advise a patient to ride after a C-Section.  Some things I wouldn't tell.  I do admit that I wish I was that tough.  Unfornately I didn't get my first horse until the twins were 3 yr old.  But they were riding trails with me by the time they were 5 yr old.  I did have an injury last year and my ortho told me to not ride for at least 3 months so my injured joint could heal.  Yeh right!  I went for my 6 wk followup to start physical therapy and he just knew I had been riding.  I don't lie well so I might as well just tell the truth and I did.  He told me how I would end up in surgery with a bad joint, but it never happened.  I regained full flexion in my arm and I think throwing hay bales and riding horses was some of the best therapy I could have.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-23 11:02 AM (#88056 - in reply to #87951)

Expert

Originally written by cowpony01 on 2008-07-22 7:12 PM

Crowley,

Too funny! Can you make up flyers for us with, beware of these two ladies on them!!!!!! 

Might not be a bad idea,"Be on the lookout,these two are armed and dangerous."

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-23 9:24 PM (#88133 - in reply to #87083)

Expert

how 'bout..........I have PMS, and I carry a gun.   Any questions? 

hee hee

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)