'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
truck tires vs trailer tires

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-06-28 6:56 PM
33 replies, 31712 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-06-27 9:25 AM (#145150 - in reply to #144359)
Subject: RE: truck tires vs trailer tires

Expert

You can lead a horse to water, but................
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2012-06-27 11:31 AM (#145154 - in reply to #145149)

Veteran

Hi - that doesn't help me understand the reason folks are advocating for LT tires on trailers.  Replacing tires every 3-4 years regardless of tread wear is a common practice for any tire.  So going with LT's isn't really getting me out of replacing tires any less frequently.   LTs are usually less expensive than ST's.  Is that why they're recommended, because they're cheaper? 

I chose the STs because their stiffer walls are supposed to help reduce trailer sway.  I protect them with RV wheel covers, which were pretty cheap at Wal-Mart.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2012-06-27 12:50 PM (#145157 - in reply to #144359)

Expert

Good idea on the part of covering the wheels... I just bought a 30' Proline flatbed trailer for hauling hay, trailer came equipped with 10 ply/LR-E  ST235/80-16 Trail Express "power touring" radials. They are rated at 3520# at 80 psi, at 65 mph.... Now I got to ask, where do you get your info on ST tires having a stiffer sidewall?? These Trail Express lr-E tires have a 2 ply polyester sidewall!!! I got 80 psi in the tires, and they look like a mashed chocolate doughnut. 6 tons of hay on the trailer and I would be afraid to pull it down my driveway to the mailbox and back... No doubt I would have at least one or two flats before I could make that mile run (probably while trying to turn around by ripping the sidewall out when turning). Trailer #2 is a 30' Proline, it has probably 7.5 tons on it, it has Michelin XPS-Rib LT235-85R16 radials rated at 3042# at 80 psi with a speed rating of 99 mph. These tires are six years old, rated at about 500# less per tire than the trail Express tires, but they are all steel construction.... Sitting there loaded at 80 psi there is hardly any squat, they stand tall, square and solid, trailer doesn't sway and pulls smooth when loaded or empty, wouldn't be afraid to strike out most anywhere with it loaded. Trailer #3 is a 25' Proline with 215-75R-17.5 rated at 4805# at 125 psi.... You can't look at the tires and tell if the trailer is loaded or not.... Probably should have them on all of the flat bed trailers, wear like iron and are tough as nails, all steel regroovable all steel casing. That would probably survive a mine field!!!

Read that link in the previous post I made..  http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.dos  That should tell you anything you would ever want to know about "ST" tires. Light Truck tires are just plain better... Ever wonder why the ST tire has "For Trailer Use Only" stamped into the sidewall? Don't believe I would want an ST tire on the front of my pickup coming down Black Mountain loaded heavy!! Never seen any restrictions stamped on an LT tire, think about it!!

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XPS%20RIB

http://www.easternmarine.com/hercules-215-75r-175-lt-heavy-duty-tire-load-range-h

Running these on the horse trailers now... http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/truck/line.cfm?prodline=160007

What did you have to pay for the new Carlisles you bought ??? $400.0 for a set of four?

Good tires ain't cheap, Cheap tires ain't good!!!

You'll never live long enough to make me believe any of thse statements, specially the last one!!...  

Why Use An "ST" Tire
  • "ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
  • The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
  • The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
  • "ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2012-06-27 2:22 PM (#145158 - in reply to #144359)

Veteran

The info I got is from Karen Chaton's blog:  http://enduranceridestuff.com/blog/2010/10/horse-trailer-tires-2/  but most of what she documented was copied from other sources.   It is exactly the same info I got from the Discount Tire sales rep.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2012-06-27 3:54 PM (#145162 - in reply to #145158)

Expert

Originally written by Hillview on 2012-06-27 2:22 PM

The info I got is from Karen Chaton's blog:  http://enduranceridestuff.com/blog/2010/10/horse-trailer-tires-2/  but most of what she documented was copied from other sources.   It is exactly the same info I got from the Discount Tire sales rep.

....... That info was supplied to Discount Tire from the Carlisle Tire Company... What would you guess that Discount Tire would recommend?? Their website is full of Carlisle products.. Buy and use what you want. A cheap poor quality tire will give you poor service. Doesn't matter if it's a "P", "ST", "LT", etc... A poorly cared for (under inflated, overloaded, curb bruised, improper aligned, etc)  top of the line Quality tire will fare no better.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-06-27 5:04 PM (#145168 - in reply to #144359)

Expert

If you go to Carlisle's web site, their products are advertised as being the greatest gift there is to man kind. If you read the voluminous reports, of many of the victims of their products that are continually posted within these forums, you will find many present and past unhappy Carlisle owners.

There are too many to be coincidentally accident prone, or to suffer unnecessary multiple blow outs.

I recently purchased a trailer that had almost new Carlisle tires installed. They lasted the trip home and one further day until the next morning, when I was able to have an appointment at the tire dealership for their exchange. There is no way I am ready to endanger the health and well being of my family and animals, on a product that is documented by many, to be poor in quality and hazarderous to own.

When I am aware of a potentially dangerous situation, and take no action to restrict my vulnerability, then I would be a fool. With the continual recommendations of many previous owners, relating their incidents with these products, I would definately be a fool to disregard their collective experiences.

FYI, I have never had a trailer blow out whilst using LT tires. I have never had a stability problem, nor any other tire related problem, with the usage of this equipment.

That is my unequivocal statement about this subject.

Daisey
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2012-06-27 11:25 PM (#145185 - in reply to #144359)

The new 2013 Cimarron I got a quote has Goodyear ST235/80 R 16 Load Range E tires for 3 horse slant/10 shortwall. Opinions PLEASE. I'm ready to buy!
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2012-06-28 3:57 AM (#145186 - in reply to #145185)

Expert

Originally written by Daisey on 2012-06-27 11:25 PM

The new 2013 Cimarron I got a quote has Goodyear ST235/80 R 16 Load Range E tires for 3 horse slant/10 shortwall. Opinions PLEASE. I'm ready to buy!

Probably going to be these tires...  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Marathon+Radial&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=38R6MARV3&tab=Sizes

Remember, this tire has a speed rating of 65 mph... Here's a way around that, don't know if I like it but here it is anyway. 

Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load.
o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the
maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.
o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the
maximum load of the tire.

Now, if you do increase the pressure by 10 psi, you must reduce the load.....

Myself, I would rather have either of these all steel tires, they cost alot more but I feel they are well worth it... http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/truck/line.cfm?prodline=160007      http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XPS%20RIB

Daisey
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2012-06-28 6:56 PM (#145204 - in reply to #144359)

Thanks!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World