'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need info on riding in Colorado

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-24 10:19 PM
32 replies, 9755 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-07-23 10:46 AM (#64270 - in reply to #51914)
Subject: RE: Need info on riding in Colorado

Veteran

Cloud 9,

Hope you guys have a great trip. Wonder if you could find any hay in Kansas? Be sure and give us a trip report when you get back. We leave for MLAZYC in 4 weeks. Luckily we don't have to have certified hay there. Just hope the riding is good. Happy Trails!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bcranch
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2007-07-23 6:49 PM (#64298 - in reply to #51914)

Just got back from M Lazy C and Jacks Gulch.  Great riding in both but could not find any certified hay for Jacks Gulch.  Stayed there a week and talked with people camping of only 1 had certified and no one has ever been checked.  If you can find it fine but if not I would not worry.  Be sure to ask how to get to the plane crash site and also be sure to ride "Fish Creek Trail" to Sky Ranch.  That is one great ride. 

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-07-23 9:20 PM (#64306 - in reply to #51914)

Veteran

BCRanch, Tell me more about MLAZYC's trails. Did you find water on the trails? Someone else told me that they had to ride back to camp to water the horses but I thought there was a river. Did you just ride there or did you trailer out to any of the other trails in the area? Thanks for the info.

bcranch
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2007-07-23 9:35 PM (#64308 - in reply to #51914)

We just rode out but there are plenty of trails that go far from the ranch.  They are not well marked and map provided was little help but use the fences as a guide.  Area seems to be fenced into blocks for cattle although all is national forest.  You must go through gates to enter the different blocks and also use the moutain with with the radio towers as a reference.   There are many ATV trails which are quite busy on weekends so you may want to save those for weekdays. No need to worry about water, we saw no creeks but because of the cattle there are many water troughs scattered throughout the area.  The wild flowers were incredible but Ed who is the camp host advised us that most are toxic to horses so do not let them eat.  Tell Ed hello for us as he was very helpful and will attend to any of your questions--- tell him the couple from Mississippi with 1 too many beers and a very big truck and he will remember us.  
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-08-23 3:45 PM (#90251 - in reply to #51914)

Veteran

I'd like suggestions on places to ride in the southern Colorado area? Are there any campgrounds that have RV hookups and horse pens and you can ride out of the camp? Even if it's a private ranch that offers this, I'd like suggestions. What about the Salida and Bueno Vista area?

Edited by barrelsnpcs 2008-08-23 3:50 PM
SarahR
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-08-24 12:27 PM (#90291 - in reply to #90251)

Originally written by barrelsnpcs on 2008-08-23 3:45 PM

I'd like suggestions on places to ride in the southern Colorado area? Are there any campgrounds that have RV hookups and horse pens and you can ride out of the camp? Even if it's a private ranch that offers this, I'd like suggestions. What about the Salida and Bueno Vista area?

I live in Southwestern Colorado and have posted a bunch of trail reports here

I know of a few Forest service campgrounds with corrals, but not hook ups, and one private campground that allows horses but no corrals or hook ups. Granite Peaks ranco offers corrals and RV space (not sure if they have full hookups, though): http://www.granitepeaksranch.net/

If I can be of any help, please let me know.

Sarah in Durango

Edited by SarahR 2008-08-24 12:37 PM
lindszo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-24 12:39 PM (#90292 - in reply to #90251)

Veteran

I checked my horse camping books and don't show anything in the Salida Buena Vista area with hookups.  There are 4 good trailheads.  You can contact San Isabel national forest, Salida range district.  They suggest shoes and it is all over 8000 feet in elevation so keep that in mind. If you have another specific area I would be glad to look it up.
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-08-24 10:19 PM (#90303 - in reply to #90292)

Veteran

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure where we want to go yet. I've seen some of the post on Sarah's website that are just awesome. I would like to ride in the flat area between mountain scenery. I'm sure our horses are not ready for much rock climbing! There's not many mountains in central TX. But I love that country up there. Seems camping is very different in the mountain parks than it is here. Here it's almost "resort" like. Hookups, showers, barns and pens.  I'm just researching what's available in your area. I don't have to have all the amenities. Just want to know what to expect.

Edited by barrelsnpcs 2008-08-24 10:26 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)