'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need info on riding in Colorado

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-24 10:19 PM
32 replies, 9756 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-11-26 10:23 AM (#51914)
Subject: Need info on riding in Colorado

Veteran

We're thinking about going out to Colorado next year to camp and ride for a couple of weeks. Would like to know where would be some good places that we should go and hoping some of you guys that have been there done that can help me out. We have a fairly big trailer with L/Q so we're limited  to where we can get in. I've found a few places that sound good so I'll list them and if you guys have been to them give me the good, bad and ugly on them.

In southwest there's Echo Basin at Manco's, Granite Peaks at Bayfield, sportsman's lodge at Pagosa Springs and Hideaway at Pagosa Springs.

then theres MlazyC near Colorado Springs and Jacks Creek near Fort collins.

When's the best time of year to go and if you have any other idea's let me hear them. Thanks for any info.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-11-26 4:14 PM (#51927 - in reply to #51914)
Subject: RE: Need info on riding in Colorado

Expert

I guess it depends on what you want to see.  I've riden a lot in South Western & Western Colorado. Mostly at Competitive Trail Rides.  These rides will put on at primative camps. Not formal camp grounds. Just park on BLM or Forest Service land.

Several of the rides are held in the area near Durango.  We actually rode in and around the Purgatory Ski Resort. This is high elevation and would be a good spot to ride June through Sept. There are some steeper grades here. But the trails were well used and easy to follow.

On the Grand Mesa near Grand Junction, it's flatter terrain. You are on a large flat mesa top. Lots of water and pine trees.

West of Grand Junction along I-70 is mostly BLM and is deseret type of country. It's lower elevation ( 3000 to 5000 foot) I have riden this a lot in the spring and fall. This is a lot of Red Rock country. You ride along bluffs overlooking the Colorado River. The trail of time is in an area famous for dinosour fossils.

I have not riden along the front range. So don't have any suggestion there.

As far as timing. Colorado has lots of mountain area. These area have snow in the winter and remain wet and muddy at higher elevation as the snow melts. Rides above 8000 feet probably need to wait until June.  The lower elevations and South facing mountains can be rode ealier in the year as they melt off faster and dry out. As the summer proceeds, you will seek out the higher elevatiosn to get away from the heat.

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-11-27 6:01 PM (#51970 - in reply to #51914)

Veteran

Painted Horse thanks for the info. I would really like to go tothe Durango area I think. Have you ridden the Pine River trail? How rocky are trails in general? I expect to have some but would like to avoid trails that are just terrible rocky and have lots of ledge riding. Is there trails at Mesa Verde?   
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-11-27 9:11 PM (#51978 - in reply to #51914)

Veteran

We did the M lazy C and had a great time, plenty of room for the big trailer and lots of great trails, what more can I say
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-27 9:39 PM (#51981 - in reply to #51914)

Regular

Hi Pooperscooper, I am not familiar with those exact spots, but I can give you a little bit of info. on your other questions. We mostly go to the Wilderness areas and some National Forests. There are books available on trails in Colorado, go to Amazon or even eBay and do some research there.

The Flat Tops (Meeker/Rifle/Western Slope) is a nice place to go. We usually stay at Trapper's Lake campground (about 50 miles due east of Meeker), plenty of room for large trailers. It has been a few years since we were last there though, I think they still allow horses, but best to double check before you you head that way. There are pretty places to go near Yampa and then Steamboat also in that same part of Colorado. The area around Gould has some nice spots.

Ft. Collins has become another Denver and you will run into more people there. Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park is pretty, typically we haul up to Estes Park and park near the McGregor Ranch and ride in for day trips. You could call or write the Chamber at Estes to find out about where to camp and ride in. You can also ride into the park from Allenspark. There are also many other trails in that area that are nice that don't go into the Park.

Heading south from Denver about 90 mins. on Hwy. 285 you can ride the Colorado Trail at Kenosha Pass, just before dropping down into South Park. Nice camping right off of the highway, on either side. Also down into South Park is Jefferson and Willow Springs. Both nice places to go, but it gets cold at night even in the middle of summer. Then you can head toward Hwy. 24 and Buena Vista and the Collegiate Peaks will tower in front of you. Beautiful if you've never been at the base of any of the 14'ers before. There are places tucked into the high mountains, and if you choose you can continue through BV and over what I would consider a medium difficulty pass to drop down into Taylor Park. Nice lakeside camping and trails abound there. But your truck needs to be in peak condition (incl. brakes) as there are some turns and fairly steep grades. And your horses should be conditioned also. Some of this riding can top 11,000 ft. so you too should be mindful of health at altitude issues.

OH for Pete's sake, I could go on and on. If you would like to PM me, I can fill you in on specific areas of the state. I am a 4th gen. Coloradoan and have been riding here all of my adult life. We have been all over but there are still so many places to see.

In my humble opinion, the very best time of year to visit the Rockies weatherwise is from late August until mid Sept. It can still be bloody hot, esp. in the SW part of the state much before then. Then you'll get to enjoy the changing aspen set against the Divide and the bluest sky you can imagine. Unless an unusual early snow hits, the weather is mild (60-70s) during the day, and can get a little chilly at night depending on what altitude you are camping at. So, bring blankets for your horses just in case. And make sure your heating system in your LQ is working! Take plenty of water, the very dry air will suck moisture out of you without realizing it.

Again, I'm sure everyone else is thinking this is a novel, if you want to discuss more, just PM me.

Happy trails.

lisa in colorado
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-27 9:43 PM (#51982 - in reply to #51927)

Regular

Painted Horse... you rode El Jinete! Did you like it? It's one of my very favorite Region 3 rides! The Ancells (that used to manage it) are the nicest people!

Front Range is okay, but getting too full of mtn. bikers... which in itself isn't bad. The vast majority are polite and understand trail etiquette. Until one of them crashes into the back of your horse then screams at you because you didn't get out of the way.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-11-28 6:52 AM (#51988 - in reply to #51914)

Expert

In fact I stayed a night at the Ancell's house on one of my trips over to El Jinete. Since it's a 10-12 hour drive home, we spent Sunday night there and drove home on Monday.  I know Steve and his wife very well.

I enjoyed El Jinete, But the flies about drove my poor horse crazy. The worst I've ever seen.

Edited by Painted Horse 2006-11-28 6:55 AM
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-28 8:45 AM (#51994 - in reply to #51988)

Regular

Gee, I haven't seen them in years. But probably will again now that my daughter is about ready to start riding in NATRC and I have a new horse to start soon also.

The flies have come with the drought unfortunately. They never used to be so bad, but with everything so dry they have really proliferated.

Small world.

lisa.
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-11-30 1:37 PM (#52062 - in reply to #51914)

Veteran

Western Sky, Thanks for all the info. I will start checking out some of those areas. Gee, can't imagine living out there and getting to ride so many beautiful places. Thanks for the altitude advice. We've ridden alot in the Black Hills and even there it is amazing how much more water that you and the horses will drink.

Rostrenga, Tell me more about M Lazy C. I emailed them but never got a reply. How much do they charge for campsites and horse pens? Is it mountain riding? Do they have creeks and water to cross? We like to have water on trails for the horses. Is there a week or so riding? Thanks and sorry to ask so many questions.

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-11-30 2:33 PM (#52064 - in reply to #52062)

Extreme Veteran

We are planning a week long trip to Winding River Resort http://www.windingriverresort.com/ this coming July. It's in Grand Lake and right on the border of Rocky Mountain NP. Looks like a great place and am looking forward to checking it out.

WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-30 6:42 PM (#52074 - in reply to #52064)

Regular

Pretty there. Don't forget to bring your fishing stuff and good camera gear. Grand Lake (i.e. Spirit Lake) has an interesting (though tragic) Native American story behind it. Some consider it haunted. And don't forget to drive over Trail Ridge Road (no trailer allowed) over to Estes. Outstanding views of the Never Summer Mtns. on a clear day!

Are you bringing horses or using theirs? The Park restricts some horse access on certain trails (more now than ever). The people you are staying with should know the details though.

Enjoy,

lisa.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-12-01 11:42 AM (#52093 - in reply to #51914)

Extreme Veteran

Good info. We've got Colorado on our radar for 2007. But don't have a final destination. thanks for sharing
birdsong
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-12-19 8:34 PM (#52665 - in reply to #51914)

I spent 4 months in Co. from Fl...What a beautiful time it was!!  I rode the areas in the Northern portion...camped at Jack's Gulch and rode up from there. ..also toward the Red feather Lakes area. I rode along with the Larimer Horsemens Assoc who knew all of the wonderful places to go...and they were great people!!  If you go to their webb site you will see a photo of my horse and me near the rocks and again in the Aspens, on the Jack's Gulch page. 

The best time to ride IMO wuld be summer and fall...the Aspens were incredible. 

Web site http://www.angelfire.com/co3/larimerhorseman/recent.html

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-12-20 7:04 PM (#52703 - in reply to #51914)

Veteran

Birdsong thanks for the info and website. Jack's Gulch looks like a nice campground. How much riding is there? Can 2 trailers park at one site? Is it crowded? Thanks again.
birdsong
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-12-21 11:26 AM (#52730 - in reply to #51914)

Many trails and miles and miles of riding from Jack's Gulch. There are are 4 equestrian campsites that house 4 horses per site with corrals. Its best to make reservations . Most used those sites but I, myself, with another family chose to go just a bit further and camped in a beautiful spot away from the hub bub of the campsites but still within walking distance. It was truly like we were alone with the trees whispering above us and beautiful vistas in all directions. I highly recommend doing that if you don't have to have a restroom closeby. Yes, I believe that 2 trailers were allowed per site too.

Not sure the level of difficulty you are accustomed to but though very different from flat Fl we did very well. JG is about 7500' and we rode up to around 10,500. It was my most favorite place!! If I ever dreamed of the perfect time with my horse I actually experienced it there.

Hope this helps
Philippa
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-12-28 9:36 PM (#52989 - in reply to #51914)

M Lazy C is really nice, best time to go is the end of August - beginning of September when it gets quiet there. I have been there 3 times and it gets cold in the night, some times it freezes. I always bring winter blankets for the horses since the stalls are uncovered. Great views on the trails.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-01-03 2:26 PM (#53248 - in reply to #52074)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the info Lisa.

We intend on bringing our own. We stayed in Salida a few years back in a B&B that was set up to keep our horses. Loved it there so we are interested in going somewhere else in Colorado and this placed looked great. Right next to RMNP and the Arapaho National Forest. It'll take us 2 full day s to get there and a 2 days I figure to acclimate. We look to spend about a week and a half there.

Looking forward to it.

WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-11 9:44 AM (#53698 - in reply to #53248)

Regular

Excellent maccwall. Always great to have horse people coming out here. Be sure to sign any and all trailhead registers PLEASE. The forest service monitors the type of uses and we need all horse people to follow through in support of continued horse use... this applies country-wide actually.

One other thing to consider. You will need to bring certified weed-free hay for most areas, or you can call ahead and pick it up when traveling in. Also, make sure your animals are fed weed-free a few days before arriving so they aren't pooping noxious weed seeds and spreading weeds (according to public land officials).

Take care!

lisa in colorado
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-01-18 5:39 PM (#54065 - in reply to #51914)

Elite Veteran

I used to ride and explore the area around Dovecreek and an area called Squawpoint.There is a canyon there called Cross canyon that we used to ride down into. Beautiful country!
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-02-13 7:58 AM (#55473 - in reply to #51914)

Veteran

Thanks everybody for all the info. With so many great places in Colorado it was hard to make a decision but we have decided to stay at MLazyC west of Colorado Springs. Looks like they should have alot of riding and are close to alot of other things also. They said we can trailer to Lost Creek Wilderness and Mueller State park to ride also if we want. So if any of you guys have ridden in those areas tell me about those trails. 
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-02-18 11:33 AM (#55774 - in reply to #51914)

What kind of ownership proof do we need for Colorado and Wyoming?  What do we have to do about the "brand inspection"?

We have current coggins and will have 30 day health papers.

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-02-19 3:47 PM (#55854 - in reply to #55774)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Rose,

You can check here for the info needed to enter the states:
http://www.horsetrip.com/requirements.html
or: http://www.horsetravels.com/Interstate%20Requirements.htm
and uno mas: http://www.usstablingguide.com/State.html

Edited by maccwall 2007-02-19 3:52 PM
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-02-20 7:40 AM (#55899 - in reply to #51914)

Veteran

Here is the info on getting a brand inspection. We get ours going into the BI area by setting up a meeting place with a brand inspector. You can get a life time one for about $10. Otherwise it runs about $1 per head for that time only. (Plus travel expenses for BI.)

http://www.horseandmuletrails.com/brandinspection.htm

j&j
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-06-13 11:37 AM (#62253 - in reply to #55899)

Extreme Veteran

It looks like Jacks Gulch is on our radar in August. This thread has been priceless. What great information.

We located a feed store in Fort Collins, Ranch-way Feeds, that sells certified weed-free hay for $9.50 a bale. Other folks have told me that's a good deal as it's more like $12.50 elsewhere.

You folks in Colorado may know better.

Thanks.

Ron
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-07-23 10:24 AM (#64267 - in reply to #62253)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Cloud9 on 2007-06-13 11:37 AM

It looks like Jacks Gulch is on our radar in August. This thread has been priceless. What great information.

We located a feed store in Fort Collins, Ranch-way Feeds, that sells certified weed-free hay for $9.50 a bale. Other folks have told me that's a good deal as it's more like $12.50 elsewhere.

You folks in Colorado may know better.

Thanks.

Ron

As of yesterday, I called Ranch Way Feeds and they DO NOT have any Certified hay. We found some from a grower near Longmont. Seems like it isn't a good year for certified hay.

Ron.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)