'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Spouses who hate Horses..Do you have one??

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-11-19 1:11 PM
32 replies, 8497 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

YoungBuck
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 8:19 AM (#32101)
Subject: Spouses who hate Horses..Do you have one??

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a spouse who hates/non-tolerate of horses?? In the beginning it was fine and dandy, my spouse helped me out with the horses. Now she says..."where you going...always feeding them damn horses,...... always riding them damn horses." Sometimes I wonder if I should cull her...not the horse!! Women need to understand the we don't want sit in the house and watch Lifetime (the man hating station) all day. Men need to have healthy hobbies (like horseriding,golf, fishing, Nintendo), if we don't have health hobbies we will develop un-healthy hobbies (like drinking, strip clubs, bar hopping). My family lacks nothing, I spend time with my boy (12 months),no problem of infidelity, financially we are comfortable....so whats the damn problem??? Sorry folks just venting.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-21 8:37 AM (#32103 - in reply to #32101)
Subject: RE: Spouses who hate Horses..Do you have one??

Extreme Veteran

It is sort of a jealousy thing with women. We think you don't want to spend time with us and would rather be out riding or hunting or fishing. We also get pissy thinking you are having more fun than we are and we are the ones always taking care of the kids and cleaning the house and making your meals, while you are out having fun with your healthy hobbies. Your wife needs to get over it!!! I used to be like that with my hubby in our first year or so of marriage. I soon learned to deal with the fact that my husband needs these outlets and I would rather him be up at camp or out on the lake fishing than going to the bar with buddies. My husband isn't in to the horse thing too much and yet , he doesn't nag me when I am off to a show or out riding. He knows my horses are my escape and make me happy just like his hunting takes his mind off of work.

Does she like horses? Buy her a horse and get her involved!

santelikk
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 9:13 AM (#32104 - in reply to #32101)

Regular

Buck,  From my observations you are in the minority.  Usually it is the wife that has the horses and the husband who does the nagging.  I guess its too late to say look around at the show for some of the ladies there who wish the could find a guy interested in horses.  Ask her what she would like to do for a relaxing time.  Offer to watch the little one for the night and let her go out with her friends.  This might be all she needs.  Also make her feel special.  Shock her and bring her home flowers one evening.  I found Walmart has some good choices for less than $5. These are some of the things I found that work for myself. 

Good Luck. Kevin

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-21 9:35 AM (#32105 - in reply to #32101)

Expert

The question is for you...

Why did you marry her?  It was your choice!

YoungBuck
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 10:16 AM (#32107 - in reply to #32105)

"Why did you marry her" Huummmmm Well, because I was in-love. They say Love is Blind....but marriage opens your EYES. She doesn't want a horse for herself. When I go out-of-town (job), I have to pay my buddies to feed my animals (Dogs & horses). My wife knew I was animal hobbyist before we got married. She knew I majored in Animal Science, so it wasn't an idea that pop into my head one mourning...."hey honey I guess I'll be a horseman today".
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-21 10:18 AM (#32108 - in reply to #32104)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by santelikk on 2005-10-21 6:13 AM

Usually it is the wife that has the horses and the husband who does the nagging. 

It's like that in my house. Especially when I "had" to buy a new Dodge, new horse trailer. And the farrier bill is here, vet has to come out, time for shots and worming. Don't forget when "we" have to buck 12-15 tons of hay in 95 degree heat. He is always quick to point out how much we spend on them. Then I am quick to point out that I had horses BEFORE i knew him and married him. My horses and I were a package deal! Granted, I only had 1 horse when I met him, but since then, I had to buy 3 more to keep the others company. I have showed him how easy it was to get an elk out deep in the woods. I'm getting him involved more (it's been 10 years) and it is getting a bit better. Like someone else said, try and get her involved with the fun side of horses, not the poop scooping part...that can come later.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 10:24 AM (#32109 - in reply to #32105)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by huntseat on 2005-10-21 9:35 AM

The question is for you...

Why did you marry her?  It was your choice!

Wow, that's bit harsh...

I experienced what you described about three year ago with my husband.
I changed my behavior. Focused more on him when we were together, gave
up a little horse time now & then to just sit around with him. It made
an amazing difference. He even shows some interest in how I'm getting along
with my horses and actully helped me pay for my current horse!!
Well worth the small effort on my part.

-Betty
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 10:26 AM (#32110 - in reply to #32108)

Expert

It's like that in my house. Especially when I "had" to buy a new Dodge, new horse trailer. And the farrier bill is here, vet has to come out, time for shots and worming. Don't forget when "we" have to buck 12-15 tons of hay in 95 degree heat. He is always quick to point out how much we spend on them. Then I am quick to point out that I had horses BEFORE i knew him and married him. My horses and I were a package deal! Granted, I only had 1 horse when I met him, but since then, I had to buy 3 more to keep the others company. I have showed him how easy it was to get an elk out deep in the woods. I'm getting him involved more (it's been 10 years) and it is getting a bit better. Like someone else said, try and get her involved with the fun side of horses, not the poop scooping part...that can come later.

That sounds very familiar.  I think I hear it about once a month. 

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-21 10:27 AM (#32111 - in reply to #32101)

Expert

If you have to pay your buddies to come over to your house and feed your DOGS when she's sitting at home, I'd tell her like it is!  That's just pure STUPID!  You let her get away with it now she'll have you cleaning house next.

I'm a chick and gals like that piss me off, can ya tell?

You'd better get that little girl to GROW UP!  Does her mother know she's snotty like that?

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 11:36 AM (#32117 - in reply to #32101)

Veteran

Geez Youngbuck, I feel for ya, but maybe she has a few reasons for being "snotty".
I made my husband pass the horse test on our first date! Yep, we went riding! He was a decent rider, and liked it, so he passed. That was 18 years ago, and we both love riding equally. I wouldn't have married any man that didn't like horses or any animal for that matter.
However, for your wife's sake, maybe try a little harder not to talk horse stuff all the time? (I know, it's darn near impossible!). If you love her like you say, then she's worth it. Maybe you could try to slowly get her hooked on horses? When she says "those damn horses", don't get defensive, but maybe ask her why do you say that? Surely she has hobbies, do you trash them? You might explain to her how important your horses are to you, and you don't appreciate her remarks. If you are going out of town for work, then I would think that she would be able to do chores, after all it's her place too. Marriage is not easy, and sometimes you have to work at things!
My brother and his wife had totally separate interests. He rode Harley's and she rode Horses! They never fought about it, and he (even though he didn't ride) bailed the hay and even seemed to like spending time with the horses sometimes. (we grew up raising and boarding horses)
It's hard to have something that you feel so strongly about when your spouse is so dead set against it. If your marriage is strong enough, and you love her, then it's worth trying to keep it going!
Best of luck,
Diane
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-21 11:37 AM (#32118 - in reply to #32101)

Extreme Veteran

So why in the beginning was it all "fine and dandy"? Was that during the courting stage and she felt in order for you to fall in love with her she had to show an interest in your horses?

So what happened to the "fine and dandy"? I still feel she is jealous of your time spent with your 4-legged friends.

But obviously if "mama ain't happy, no one's happy"!

YoungBuck
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 12:17 PM (#32127 - in reply to #32117)

My wifes not snooty. She's a down-to-earth country girl, but the country is not in her. SHe waw raise by a single mom who didn't allow her to have animals, they barely have enough food to eat. She doesn't have any hobbies but Lifetime. My riding buddies always tease me saying "you got punk"(MTVshow). I have dreams of becoming a True Horseman like Richard Shrake or Dennis Reis one day, but I see my dreams slowly diminish with her in the picture. If I'm having problems now, I know once I start growing has a horseman the problems will grow too?? Every man gots to have to Dream!!!
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-21 12:33 PM (#32128 - in reply to #32101)

Expert

Someone above posted that things were like during their first year of marriage.  I'm hoping you got married before children came into the picture.  SO that puts you outside that window of 12 months.

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't a country girl by definition have the country in them?  Her not caring for your animals is her saying, I'm not pitching in for your things.  If she won't care for them now that might be your warning of things to come.

The choice was/is always yours.  Have you talked with her regarding these matters and what they mean to you?

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-10-21 12:58 PM (#32130 - in reply to #32127)

Expert

She doesn't have any hobbies but Lifetime.

Maybe thats the problem. My husband calls that the man haters channel.  And I agree with him.  Try to take her out and get her interested in something.  I was raised in a childrens home where we were not allowed to have animals and after highschool I didn't have enough to eat for a while, but that doesn't mean my husband can't have outside hobbies/interests.   Sometimes it drives me nuts paying $40 for a concert ticket for him or holding dinner so he can stay after work and lift weights with his friends, but on the other hand, I'm sure I drive him nuts when I buy stuff for the horses or when he keeps our youngest so I can go on a overnite/weekend trailride.  It's a trade off.  I don't like concerts so I keep the kids, and when I ride (with the 9 yr old) he keeps the 3yr old.  There has got to be some "give" or it just won't work.

Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 1:51 PM (#32136 - in reply to #32101)

Veteran

My wife developed the horse hobby about 15 years ago.  I though she was spending too much time and money on them, but it seemed to please her so I let it go. Tried to get her interested in fishing, hunting, competive shooting....no luck...so guess what?   I got a horse and we camp & ride all the time now. I love it....and when I want to go hunting for a few days....now its OK.  Find something you both like and spend some time together, the horse will be there when you get back.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-21 3:18 PM (#32145 - in reply to #32136)

Expert

Originally written by Ike on 2005-10-21 12:51 PM

My wife developed the horse hobby about 15 years ago.  I though she was spending too much time and money on them, but it seemed to please her so I let it go. Tried to get her interested in fishing, hunting, competive shooting....no luck...so guess what?   I got a horse and we camp & ride all the time now. I love it....and when I want to go hunting for a few days....now its OK.  Find something you both like and spend some time together, the horse will be there when you get back.

I could have written this almost verbatim as my story.  Hundreds of thousands of dollars later, I love living on acreage, with a tractor, horses, truck & trailer, camping & riding... in that order. Our marriage is strong because of horses.

Youngbuck.. I hope something happens as good, for you & your wife.

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-21 5:23 PM (#32148 - in reply to #32101)

Extreme Veteran

That's a different spin on the usual problem.  Usually it is the husband who is not interested in horses.  I'd be leary of a women who doesn't like horses, that's almost unnatural.  It sounds like you married a couch potato.  What a waste of life, to sit indoors watching daytime TV. That's my version of hell. Show me someone who doesn't like horses and I'll show someone who doesn't know a thing about horses or the lifestyle.   

It boils down too this, if she LOVES you, she will understand that horses are critically important to you, and would be understanding, this is especially true if you were horse crazy before marriage.  You are in tough situation, but she needs to be understanding. Maybe it's not the horses, kind of sounds like she is just unhappy in general.  People, especially family members, that seem to get upset when you are enjoying yourself or having fun, are just unhappy with thier life.  So when they see you having fun, they resent you.  My wifes mother is like this.  She has had the easiest life, her husband, my father-in-law, is a millionaire, they have been married for over 40 years.  She lacks nothing and has never had to work (in the traditional sense) and gets everything she wants.  She can go anywhere and do anything.  What does she do... she sits at home and complains about how tired she is, just a waste of life.  Anyways, because she is so unhappy, she resents it when she sees her daughter happy.  She will never babysit for her so she can work with the horses (working horses makes my wife happy), we have to hire a babysitter. She wouldn't babysit for us so we could go away for our 10 year wedding anniversary (because she might have fun), we had to hire a babysitter.  It's really sad.  But the point is, unhappy people will always be unhappy and critcal of you when ever you are living and enjoying your life, because they are jealous and would rather you be miserable too. 

Horses are a good thing, as long as you're keeping your life in balance, do your thing and ignore her.   

Edited by RichB 2005-10-21 5:27 PM
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-10-21 6:14 PM (#32150 - in reply to #32101)

Elite Veteran

Even if she does'nt like animals she should not begrudge you because you  like them.  It is hard to find someone who is passionate about horses.  Good luck.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-10-21 6:58 PM (#32151 - in reply to #32101)

Extreme Veteran

RichB

You hit it right on the nail. Well said.

Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-10-22 6:15 PM (#32173 - in reply to #32101)

Veteran

Buck,

Please understand that you are a male, your wife is female. You will never be able to do anything right! Just get used to it!!!
ajs01
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-22 11:20 PM (#32177 - in reply to #32101)

Regular

Listen the first time around my wife killed me about my horse. The second time around I married my riding partner and there is never a question about the horses. I have my two old guys who are retired and my current ride all in the back yard with her palimino. Now they are no longer mine and hers, but they are ours!!!
PaintGal
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-10-23 12:54 PM (#32190 - in reply to #32101)

Regular

I've gotta chime in!

My hubby is not horsey at all and his greatest fear is for me to buy another horse & expect him to ride with me.  LOL!   I'm not working so try to ride during the week when he's at work.  I have been on a few weekend rides and gone from Friday to Sunday and feel just a little guilty...but not enough NOT to go. ;)

It's a balancing act but it sounds like your scales are way off. To pay someone to care for your animals when your wife is home & watching TV is too much!  I've never watched Lifetime or whatever... I'm an RFD watcher when I'm in the house.  

I'm sorry you're in this position because life is too short to be unhappy.  I hope you can find a way to get your wife to accept your love for horses.

Good Luck!

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-10-23 1:05 PM (#32191 - in reply to #32101)

Expert

this is tough since we are only getting your side of the story. I have no idea how your whole family life is. Suffice it to say, my guess this has alot more to do with than just horses. There is more to this than your telling us ( willingly or unwillingly) My husband is not a horsey guy- I know this and accept this, I cannot change him. For 23 years we have been married, I have had horses about 19 of them. But the family has always come first. I would never set my kids up to live without their father, in a divorce situation. I'd give up the horses before I would let that happen. My childrens home is too important. if your willing to dump the wife and set your child up to live in a broken family just because of a HORSE, then there is something wrong with you. Your first obligation is to your family. Maybe its time you too see a counselor and get to the bottom of this.

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-10-24 3:13 PM (#32244 - in reply to #32101)

Veteran

I can sympathize......I have a non-horsey husband. I would love to have him involved in horses but it's just not his thing. I sometimes feel guilty for being gone all day to ride, but we understand we both need our "individual" time. When I'm out riding, he's doing his gardening / landscaping and we plan something for "us" later in the day. We try to make the most of the time we do spend together but respect each other's need to have some space. Have you sat down with your wife and discussed it? Perhaps if both of you came to a mutual agreement on what days or times you both can enjoy your "individual" time, there would be less resentment on her part when you do spend time riding. It sounds like she thinks the horses are more important to you than she is.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2005-10-24 8:58 PM (#32264 - in reply to #32244)

Elite Veteran

Wow-do I feel lucky after reading all these! Myhusband is the non-horsey type but has never said a word when I, too, "had" to have a truck, trailer and a younger horse because the one I had when we got married was too old to show (and one-eyed to boot). When we were engaged my best friend's husband made her sell her horse and I told him then that he and I were never going to have that conversation because the horse had been around longer than he had. I'm not sure who cried harder when we had to put him down last November-him or me.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)