'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping in Missouri

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-30 11:03 AM
32 replies, 12379 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2011-03-01 7:01 PM (#130957)
Subject: Camping in Missouri

Extreme Veteran

Where in Missouri would you camp if you had to drive from Florida to get there?  We are planning a trip at the end of the month and thought Missouri would be a good place to go (providing the weather will be reasonable). Which are your favorite places?  We like all types of riding.  Hook-ups would be nice but not necessary. 

Edited by randemtam 2011-03-01 7:02 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
DEBBIEW
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2011-03-01 11:50 PM (#130975 - in reply to #130957)
Subject: RE: Camping in Missouri

New User

I live in Missouri and often go to Slabtown Trailrides, since it is only a few miles from home.  It is located in south-central missouri, part of the Paddy Creek Wilderness trails.  They have trailer hookups, shower house, bathroom, and stalls.  Check out their website slabtowntrailrides.com.  There are also numerous others in the area, 4-J, Cross-Country, Big Creek, Brushy Creek, etch
DEBBIEW
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2011-03-01 11:51 PM (#130976 - in reply to #130957)

New User

I live in Missouri and often go to Slabtown Trailrides, since it is only a few miles from home.  It is located in south-central missouri, part of the Paddy Creek Wilderness trails.  They have trailer hookups, shower house, bathroom, and stalls.  Check out their website slabtowntrailrides.com.  There are also numerous others in the area, 4-J, Cross-Country, Big Creek, Brushy Creek, etch
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-03-02 9:32 AM (#130993 - in reply to #130957)

Expert

We love www.HuckleberryStables.com  they have stunning trails and fabulous hosts......a smaller outfit with personal care, hookups, pens, stalls, very clean bathroom/shower house.....love 'em, they are in southwest MO in the Ozarks...
longearsruletwo
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2011-03-02 10:14 AM (#130999 - in reply to #130993)

Regular

I have to second that on Huckleberry.  Great place, great hosts and great riding.  Don't think you could go wrong there.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-03-02 1:57 PM (#131015 - in reply to #130957)

Extreme Veteran

How much trail is at Huckleberry Stables? Is it marked? Is there a map> Anyone been to Elk Valley at Pineville? What can you tell about it?
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-03-02 9:51 PM (#131048 - in reply to #130957)

Expert

There are tons of trails, days of riding at Huckleberry, it joins the Huckleberry State Park, in the Mark Twain (I think) Ntl Forest.  Have not ridden at Elk River, but have ridden through the trails and forest over to there..........That camp is owned and run by the son of the Huckleberry owners, so horse riding/camp hosting is in the blood!  If you get lucky and ride in there around April....the dogwoods blooming through the woods are stunning..lots of rock creek and beautiful formations and caves.......just gorgeous!
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2011-03-03 7:25 AM (#131060 - in reply to #131048)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for your info! I'm looking into Huckleberry. It's quite a hike over there but might be worth it from what you have said. How about Brushy Creek? Has anyone been there? Someone mentioned to me that they liked it.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-03-03 8:25 AM (#131062 - in reply to #130957)

Elite Veteran

Huckleberry Stables owners are the nicest people in the world, but if you have a very large rig you may have to primitive camp off K hwy about half mile SE of them... there are loads of trails, some nice overlooks, some pretty steep hills, and points of interest. Eminence is the "big" ride over here but the camps are pretty tired..Brushy Creek is pretty good, the trails are no big woo. Just south of Branson about an hour is the best riding on the planet (Buffalo Natl River), but you won't ever wanna leave.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-03-03 10:06 AM (#131070 - in reply to #130957)

Extreme Veteran

So where do you camp for Buffalo Nat River and do tell about trails, maps, etc. Looking for someplace to go for a week this summer. Was thinking Big South Fork but have decided that from east Texas thats too far a hike with diesel so high. Pineville would be a straight shot for us up 59 to Texarkana and then 71 through Ft Smith and onto 530 and up. Not a bad drive at all. We have a ride at Dover Arkansas in April just below the Buffalo Nat River at Macks Pines camp.
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2011-03-03 10:07 AM (#131071 - in reply to #130957)

Regular

I must be the odd one. I was not impressed with Huckleberry.  The trails were nice but as for the campsite I wasnt impressed.  I did like their sons place much better.  Brushy Creek is nice but I feel overpriced for the area of the state it is in. That area was hit by an inland hurricane and is still recooperating from it.  Lots of trees down and just a mess, though Brushy has done a lot of work with the help of Back Country Horsemen to get their trails up and going again.  Cross Country is just a very worn out campground.  Beautiful area to ride, but worn out such a shame.  I really like Slabtown Trailrides as someone else mentioned.  Tons of trails to ride.  Tons of things to see, beautiful scenery. Different levels of trail difficulty. Greg the owner is wonderful to work with and makes sure you are happy and have everythign you need. Plus he is great at sending you on some nice rides. If you say easy he will map you an easy route, you want difficult he can give it to you, want scenic you got it.  He will also ride out with you.  Accomadations are wonderful and the price cant be beat. the grounds are always clean and well kept, bath house/restroom are very clean, stalls are nice and he keeps them in good repair. if something is broke he fixes it quickly.  he also does a fish fry on Saturday nights all you have to do is bring a side.  Very nice meal.  I find this part of our state much prettier than Huckleberry area.  We are planning a trip to ride the Buffalo River area, keep hearing such great things about that area.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-03-03 12:39 PM (#131083 - in reply to #130957)

Elite Veteran

If I were coming from FL -  I would go to Illinois and check out Shawnee National Forest. This is the prettiest place I have ever been too. Trails are well marked now, Forest Service has done an excellent job marking and maintaining trails. All kinds of neat things to see watefalls, hidden canyons, bluffs, river etc. We've stayed at Hayes Canyon and Circle B. Prefer Hayes, just ask for the covered stalls near the entrance of the camp, the others need some repair. Also heard that High Knob is under new owners and new stalls are being built. High Knob trails go to Garden of the Gods which is spectacular. We hiked some of these trails.

My vote for Missouri is Big Creek Trail Rides. Nice camp, safe stalls, and large enough to accomodate any size trailer. Food during organized rides is very good. No maps though. We use our GPS and since this camp is near Current River, we just use the Current River National Park load as reference for trail points. Trails along the Current River are outstanding!

I like Huckleberry Stables as this is close to my home. It can be a challenge getting a big rig in, but we manage. Best to visit here during the week if you are bringing in a big rig so you can turn around. Trails are not too welll marked here either, but Rick does provide a map that correlates to the Forrest Service Roads. Once again GPS helps here as the forest service roads are marked. Scenary is not as varied as Big Creek, but a nice trip. I don't feel that there is weeks worth of riding if you go long distances (16-20 miles a day) on gaited horses.

As far as caming along the Buffalo River in AR we have been there once. We camped at Steele Creek which is part of the National Park. I WOULD NOT take a large LQ trailer down to Steele Creek. Road is very steep, jutty with sharp turns. WHile we stayed there two people had issues navigating down in large trailers. One burned up their brakes and the other actually slide off the road. We camped in small 5 foot shortwall, 3 horse trailer. I will not take my big LQ there. Scenary at the Buffalo is AWESOME! That is why we are going back this year.

I'm planning a trip back to Buffalo this year and have inquired about Buffalo River Ranch or Center Point Horse Camp. BRR has indoor stalls and hook-ups, but you have to ride about an hour to get to the trails. Center Point has 6 sites, but open stalls or picket line. Hook-ups here too and the trail head is across the road. Hoping someone can comment on my thread about Center Point.

Check out this webpage for other trails: www.horseandmuletrails.com

And this site for reviews: http://www.horsetraildirectory.com/

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-03-03 12:47 PM (#131084 - in reply to #131083)

Elite Veteran

If I were coming from FL -  I would go to Illinois and check out Shawnee National Forest. This is the prettiest place I have ever been too. Trails are well marked now, Forest Service has done an excellent job marking and maintaining trails. All kinds of neat things to see watefalls, hidden canyons, bluffs, river etc. We've stayed at Hayes Canyon and Circle B. Prefer Hayes, just ask for the covered stalls near the entrance of the camp, the others need some repair. Also heard that High Knob is under new owners and new stalls are being built. High Knob trails go to Garden of the Gods which is spectacular. We hiked some of these trails.

My vote for Missouri is Big Creek Trail Rides. Nice camp, safe stalls, and large enough to accomodate any size trailer. Food during organized rides is very good. No maps though. We use our GPS and since this camp is near Current River, we just use the Current River National Park load as reference for trail points. Trails along the Current River are outstanding!

I like Huckleberry Stables as this is close to my home. It can be a challenge getting a big rig in, but we manage. Best to visit here during the week if you are bringing in a big rig so you can turn around. Trails are not too welll marked here either, but Rick does provide a map that correlates to the Forrest Service Roads. Once again GPS helps here as the forest service roads are marked. Scenary is not as varied and interesting as Big Creek and definately not as nice as Shawnee. I don't feel that there is weeks worth of riding if you go long distances (16-20 miles a day) on gaited horses. Lots of hills, so horses need to be somewhat in condition.

As far as caming along the Buffalo River in AR we have been there once. We camped at Steele Creek which is part of the National Park. I WOULD NOT take a large LQ trailer down to Steele Creek. Road is very steep, jutty with sharp turns. WHile we stayed there two people had issues navigating down in large trailers. One burned up their brakes and the other actually slide off the road. We camped in small 5 foot shortwall, 3 horse trailer. I will not take my big LQ there. Scenary at the Buffalo is AWESOME! No hook-ups at Steele Creek. There is a community water spigot to water horses, you'll need several (at least 4 100') long hoses if you want to fill your water holding tanks. Picket line only and you need to bring it with you.

I'm planning a trip back to Buffalo this year and have inquired about Buffalo River Ranch or Center Point Horse Camp. BRR has indoor stalls and hook-ups, but you have to ride about an hour to get to the trails. Center Point has 6 sites, but open stalls or picket line. Hook-ups here too and the trail head is across the road. Hoping someone can comment on my thread about Center Point.

Check out this webpage for other trails: http://www.horseandmuletrails.com/

And this site for reviews: http://www.horsetraildirectory.com/

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-03-03 1:48 PM (#131089 - in reply to #130957)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the info. What are you calling a big rig to get into Huckleberry's? We have a 3 horse 10 ft shortwall, 8 wide and 7-6 tall. What is the low water crossing like? Is it too much of a dip for the plumbing underneath?
And ponytammy, I cant resist. Why do you need a gaited horse to do 16 to 20 miles a day? haha big smile
TwoBucksRanch
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-03-03 2:24 PM (#131092 - in reply to #131071)

Originally written by onemileatatime on 2011-03-03 10:07 AM

I must be the odd one. I was not impressed with Huckleberry.  The trails were nice but as for the campsite I wasnt impressed.  I did like their sons place much better.  Brushy Creek is nice but I feel overpriced for the area of the state it is in. That area was hit by an inland hurricane and is still recooperating from it.  Lots of trees down and just a mess, though Brushy has done a lot of work with the help of Back Country Horsemen to get their trails up and going again.  Cross Country is just a very worn out campground.  Beautiful area to ride, but worn out such a shame.  I really like Slabtown Trailrides as someone else mentioned.  Tons of trails to ride.  Tons of things to see, beautiful scenery. Different levels of trail difficulty. Greg the owner is wonderful to work with and makes sure you are happy and have everythign you need. Plus he is great at sending you on some nice rides. If you say easy he will map you an easy route, you want difficult he can give it to you, want scenic you got it.  He will also ride out with you.  Accomadations are wonderful and the price cant be beat. the grounds are always clean and well kept, bath house/restroom are very clean, stalls are nice and he keeps them in good repair. if something is broke he fixes it quickly.  he also does a fish fry on Saturday nights all you have to do is bring a side.  Very nice meal.  I find this part of our state much prettier than Huckleberry area.  We are planning a trip to ride the Buffalo River area, keep hearing such great things about that area.

TwoBucksRanch
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-03-03 2:31 PM (#131094 - in reply to #131071)

I'm with you onemileatatime.  Huckleberry is fine and Rick the host is very nice, but the campground is small and there is no privacy, nowhere to really make a fire by your rig.  Alot of people crammed into a small area.  Plus it is right along a busy road and not what I would call peaceful.

His son's place is a big field with electric hookups, no trees, no shade, no privacy and trailers are VERY close to each other. I think you can camp around the perimeter of the field and there are some trees, but that is the rough camping. 

Having said that, the trails were alot of fun although we rode them in about 2 days.  Those trails do not join the Mark Twain National Forest.

I live in Missouri and have heard very good things about Slabtown and Brushy Creek.  I am going to Brushy Creek this weekend for the first time. 

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-03-03 4:29 PM (#131101 - in reply to #130957)

Expert

We got in to the Steele Creek, and also to Huckleberry, with a 8'wide 3h with 10' shortwall LQ, pulled by a F350 supercab with 9' flatbed.....no problems......the road is all paved to Huckleberry.  We did use 4WD low range to get in and out of Steele creek, and going slow makes it so much easier, and the 4W low gave us traction and also saving on the brakes... the gravel road is wide, but does have some steep and some curves.   We do always try to get to a camp in the daylightm, it just makes everything seem easier when you can see!
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-03-03 4:43 PM (#131105 - in reply to #131101)

Elite Veteran

Big to me is 30 foot trailer or more. I've pulled in to Ricks several times and was able to park when other trailers were not there. We have 16 foot shortwall, 2 horse 8 Wide trailer. And my gaited comment was most gaited horses usually cover a lot a ground in a shorter amount of time than non-gaited like Quarter Horses. We use to ride Arabs, but nothing like gliding down the trail on a MFT. Ha!

Now with that said, I would be hesitant going down into Steele Creek with our trailer. If they have widened the road since 2001, then maybe it's not so bad. That was the last time we were there. We have a F350 Dually with soon to be installed Exhaust Brake, so maybe I might try it again someday. Just know the last time we went, my knuckles were white from hanging on and the passenger side brake didn't work.... never does.:)

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2011-03-03 8:45 PM (#131115 - in reply to #131094)

Extreme Veteran

TwoBucksRanch,

Perhaps you can let us know how Brushy Creek was when you return. I hope you have a wonderful time. Shawnee is another place I would love to visit. We have a fairly large rig, 3H 12ft SW (27' on the floor) w/ a crew cab Chevy. I've had my trailers in some interesting predicaments and try to avoid them when possible :)  I'm really looking forward to this trip. I wish fuel prices would quit going up though :(

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-03-03 9:43 PM (#131119 - in reply to #130957)

Elite Veteran

Huckleberry is small. A 23' on the box ought to get in ok... We go primitive because we are 33' on the box, pulled by a 25' Showhauler, but we CAN get down Erbie Cuttoff Road to the Erbie campground at the Buffalo.. PS; they have a nice pit toilet, about 13 primitive sites with lamp poles and some picnic tables, and you can fill water barrels around the corner at the people camp by the canoe put in.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-03-04 8:30 AM (#131130 - in reply to #130957)

Expert

Forgot to mention ours is 32 on the floor box of the trailer, it that give any helpful reference....one thing about it, there is so much good riding here in the Ouachitas and Ozarks, you could stay and ride all summer, visiting different sites!
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2011-03-04 8:41 AM (#131132 - in reply to #130957)

Veteran

Some of the best scenery in Missouri is at Eminence. There are a couple of private camps instead of going to the CCTR ride. There is tons of trails but early in the year the rivers can get to high to cross and that would really limit the riding.

We've been to Brushy Creek a couple of times as it is pretty close for us. The campground is clean and the sites are fairly level with lots of shade, picnic tables and firerings. They gave us free firewood and free sawdust for the stalls which are very good stalls. They are close to the sites so you can see your horses from your camp. There is many trails there and all are well marked and maintained and there's several ways to make loops so you don't have to ride the same trails back to camp. Creek crossings and some pretty big hills to climb. Scenery is decent, maybe not as great as some places but not boring. Sadly they did have a tornado a couple of years ago that practically destroyed parts of the area and they have done a fantastic job of clearing the trails again. There's lots of things to go and see in the area if you want to take a day off. Elephant rocks park, Johnson's shut ins, and there's a mill all within probably 30 to 45 min. drive. The trails there won't get muddy if there's been alot of rain which is a plus this time of year. Hope this info helps.   

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2011-03-04 8:49 AM (#131134 - in reply to #130957)

Veteran

Heres a few pics from Brushy Creek

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2011-03-04 3:16 PM (#131171 - in reply to #131134)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks pooperscooper! Those are lovely photos. We met some people from Mo that were staying at the Coldwater Rec area in Fl on one of our campouts and they had mentioned that they liked Brushy Creek. You all are very helpful when it comes to making decisions about these long trips. Thanks very much.
tango
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-03-16 10:12 PM (#131743 - in reply to #130957)

Golden Hills Resort in Raymondville, Mo. The owners, Chuck and Kay are great! Definitely a family type, relaxing atmosphere. No shenanigans or unsafe riding allowed on property. The place is HUGE and offers hundreds of sites with water and electric to hookup. Very easy to pull large trailers into. There is also a dump station. They have outdoor runs of pipe fencing or stalls, they are close to each other so you can do both if you wish. They sell hay and pine shavings on site for the horses. There is an outdoor pool. BIG outdoor riding arena, round pens, convenience store and gift shop at the front of the ranch. Never feels crowded because of the size of the property.Maps of trails are available. If you prefer they also have miles of gravel roads that run through the property. We hardly ever see a car on them, its a horse community so everyone is respectful.The road to the property is wide and flat. Easy to get to.Town is only 15 minutes away with a super Walmart, gas, and a good steakhouse (fastfood places also).Beautiful place.We live in Missouri and go there 3 or 4 times a year.goldenhills.com
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)