'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailering ( Chad's Questions)

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-18 11:57 AM
31 replies, 8956 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-09 12:25 PM (#89383)
Subject: Trailering ( Chad's Questions)

Expert

Chad asked me some basic questions about trailering. At first I considered them simple to answer, then I realized they may answer some of the many questions, newcomers to the forum have been consistently placing. I thought a new thread would be apropos.

"Gard, perhaps this post belongs in my other thread.  You have posted a well written response but I have a few questions if you dont mind. 

First, did I read correctly that you say a GN is easier to hook up than a BP?  Seems like they are the same to me, with the exception of the tailgate being involved with the GN.

Second,  Ive never experienced any greater problems with the wind hauling a 2H BP than a GN?  To include hauling said trailer with the Trailblazer.

Third,  my BP puts my truck at basically 50%/50% front to rear weight distribution.  With my FIL's GN the trailer is heavier and more weight is put on the rear axle making the truck slightly rear heavy........not a big deal either way.  I dont understand your "the truck is better balanced than with a BP" statement."

1) When I hook up a bumper pull trailer, I don't use an optical or mechanical assist to locate the truck ball relative to the trailer's coupler. My guesstimates as to the exact placement of the two items are historically poor. My best attempt was a two round trip process. A round trip consists of backing as close as I dare to the trailer's hitch, without smashing the bumper or plate, or awaiting the next crunch. Then I get out of the cab, walk to the back of the truck, observe how far away the two components are, reenter the cab and try again. On my worse day, it took eleven attempts as I changed religions a few times, and my neighbours heard items only the Irish can bless.

Even with a titanium plate holding things together and most of my neck vertebrae fused, I can still look out of the back window of my super cab and see the ball in the middle of the bed. To hook up either GN trailer, I drop my tail gate, back the ball under the GN coupler, get out and lower the trailer onto the ball and I'm there. It's a done deal, no misses. Much easier indeed.

2) All my trailering comments will be based on a three horse BP and GN trailers, both of which I have owned, and I can accurately compare. The stability of a trailer is determined by a few factors. The trim, which is developed by the placement of the various weighting, the length of the wheel base and  the width of the track. The aerodynamics, which involve the shape of the trailer hull, and include the height and the amount of frontal area. The suspension has a great affect, depending on the type, springs vs torsion etc. The tires will effect ride and tracking, differing between bias ply and radial constructions.

My three horse BP trailer had an 18' box and with the hitch, was aprox 21' overall. My three horse GN has an 18' box, and a 7 1/2' goose with an overall length of aprox 25 1/2'. The wheel base on the BP, from the coupler to the centre of the forward wheel was aprox 11'. The wheel base on my GN from the coupler to the centre line of the forward tire is aprox 16 1/2', almost 5 feet longer.

A BP trailer depends on a light amount of tongue weight for stability,(10% -15%) while its main carrying is balanced on the two axles. This balance is critical, and with differing loads, can change radically, effecting the tracking. Any owner has experienced the various affects of weight shifting, when their horses have moved within the trailer. If the weight shifts rearward and the tongue unloads, the trailer will fishtail. If the load shifts forward and the hitch lowers, the load will shift to the trailer's front axle and the trailer will fishtail. The center of gravity is finite, based slightly behind the front axle.

A Gn trailer has two points of actual support, one at either extreme. It is less dependent on loading fluctuations, and is inherinttly more stable as a result. The loading can vary greatly with  less adverse affect

It's a crap shoot on whether a GN or BP trailer is more aerodynamic. The truck's windshield and roof directs some of the air to the top part of the goose area while affording some protection to the lower frontal areas. The low pressure area behind the truck's rear window, and the space between the window and trailer's nose, will pull the air down onto the front of a BP trailer, creating a great deal of turbulence and drag.

To summarize, a GN trailer has a longer wheelbase for the same length box; it benefits somewhat from an aerodynamic affect afforded by the truck's cab; and it has a more stable load carrying capability.

3) The balance of a truck varies greatly depending on if the hitch is in the bed or receiver mounted. Torque is the product of moment times arm length. I have a SD Ford, and the top of the receiver ball is 5' aft of the rear axle centerline. If I have a 3000# BP trailer with a proper tongue weight, the weight on the ball should be 300 -450LBS. The moment of 300 LBS times the arm length of five (5) feet equals 1500 FT LBS of torque. This would be the equivalent amount of weight you would be placing above the axle in the bed of the truck.

To put it more graphically, consider the rear axle the pivot point of a teeter totter. One end would be supporting the trailer tongue, the other the front of the truck. When additional weight is added to one end, the other ends tends to lift. Trailer tongue down, truck front up. This is why so many BP hitches need load equalization accessories. Without adequate rear truck leveling, the trailer's tongue will lower. This puts more weight on the trailer's front axle, causing an instability and the dreaded fishtailing.

To compound the equation, consider a truck's rear suspension. Basically the axle is supported in the middle of a spring, suspended and located on each end by shackle bolts. What is the rear most attachments of your suspension? Two shackle bolts, one on each of the rearward most points of your suspension. On my truck, this point is 2 1/2' ahead of the ball, meaning with 300#s on the ball, I have an effective loading of 750#. If I had a tongue weight of 1000#s, it would result in 2500#'s on the two bolts.

By having the weight suspended behind the suspension, all the stresses are placed on the most rearward parts of the suspension.

My 25 1/2' trailer weighs about 5600#s empty, with a tongue weight of aprox 1400#s. Even though this trailer weighs almost 2000#s more than the bumper pull, the effective weight on the rear axle of the truck, is actually 100#s less than the 300# tongue weight of the BP. More over, instead of all the weight being concentrated on the rear most shackle bolts, it is shared by the forward spring shackles as well. These attach points are aprox 2 1/2' feet ahead of the axle, which places some of the loading onto the forward part of the frame and its front suspension. The entire loading is now contained within the frame assembly, supported on four points. Instead of the rear loading trying to lift the front end, the weight load is being partially shared by the front suspension, and the truck is better balanced.

Hope this clarifies my statements.

Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-08-09 2:56 PM (#89392 - in reply to #89383)
Subject: RE: Trailering ( Chad's Questions)

Expert

Thanks.

On 1)  Yes I could see how some people would find a GN easier to 'align' than a BP.  Fair enough.

2)  I suspected you were referring to your 3H BP.  A 3H BP is a whole different (and usually annoying) animal when compared to a 2H.  My 2H has a 15' box and the coupler to front axle is nearly 11'........axle placement does make a huge difference in handling.  Wheelbase is good, but the biggest factor is how much rear overhang is on the trailer.  Basically a 2H will have little to no rear overhang compared to a 3H.  That overhang is what can cause the sway/fishtail problems.  It allows "load" to be placed behind the axles, and provides sort of a moment arm for the trailer to begin its bad habits.....such as being affected by the wind.  Load 1 horse in the rearmost stall on my 2H and I still have 11% tongue weight.  Load 1 horse in the rearmost stall of a 3H and you could have little to no tongue weight.

3)  I see we simply had a different definition of "balance".  Your example of a 300# tongue adding 1500# to the rear axle is incorrect however.  Torque measurements and actual weight transfer are two different things.

The formula for weight transfer is;  

(tongue weight * (truck overhang + truck wheelbase)) / truck wheelbase 

On my truck the 900# tongue adds ~1200# to the rear axle and removes ~300# from the front.  Verified by the scales.

Good info though, maybe someone will find it useful.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-13 9:31 AM (#89634 - in reply to #89383)

Expert

Partly/mostly true.

The location of the C of G should actually be AHEAD of the front axle, a popular misconception is that it should be slightly behind the front axle, but that is almost impossible with most designs if an acceptable tongue weight is to be achieved. It would in any case lead to instability, since the weight would be "teeter-totter balanced" over the axles.

Untied horses will often tend to migrate towards the rear of the trailer, I've seen this so many times on the camera. I believe it is a natural tendency to go back or get back closer to where they're being moved from.
Anyway, the point is that this will unload the tongue a LOT.
The design center for weight distribution is based on the assumption that horses carry 60% of their weight on the fore legs, so moving that back 5 or 6ft can have a dramatic effect on the stability of a lightweight stock trailer.

My own observation is that a 4 horse gooseneck trailer with 4 horses returns about the same fuel mileage as a 2 horse B/P with 2 horses in HIGHWAY driving. {Same truck, same driver, similar trip, similar conditions}. I attribute this to the "better" aerodynamics of the gooseneck offsetting the greater load, i.e. the gooseneck configuration more closely represents a single body being pushed through the air, the B/P more closely represents two separate bodies being pushed through the air. The same is not true "around town", where mass determines fuel use more than aerodynamics.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-08-13 9:52 AM (#89638 - in reply to #89383)

Expert

Welcome back Reg, were ya been?
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-08-13 10:25 AM (#89639 - in reply to #89383)

Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2008-08-09 12:25 PM

Even with a titanium plate holding things together and most of my neck vertebrae fused, I can still look out of the back window of my super cab and see the ball in the middle of the bed.

I WISH!  Are you 7' tall and is this a long-bed truck?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-13 10:56 AM (#89644 - in reply to #89383)

Expert

I was 5'11'' now I'm 5'9" and yes it's an 8' bed.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-13 11:41 AM (#89648 - in reply to #89639)

Expert

Originally written by Sharon on 2008-08-13 10:25 AM

Originally written by gard on 2008-08-09 12:25 PM

Even with a titanium plate holding things together and most of my neck vertebrae fused, I can still look out of the back window of my super cab and see the ball in the middle of the bed.

I WISH!  Are you 7' tall and is this a long-bed truck?

You have a MUCH better chance of centering it if you use the rear view mirror.
It "looks down" onto the bed from a steeper angle than most of us could get and it is centered (should be).
B'sides, it avoids all the other problems of back/neck strain, slipping off the pedals and not seeing where the truck fenders are going.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-08-13 12:11 PM (#89651 - in reply to #89383)

Expert

Aside from checking make-up, I have never been able to use the mirrors for backing up or hooking up the trailer. At 5'2", I have learned to brace my right foot on the center part, under the dash board,sit WAAAYYY up twist around and line up the hitch to the ball. Sounds wierd and you'd have to be there to understand the process but it works.

Also- after reading this thread, I must admit to my eyes gazing over. I never DREAMED hooking up or pulling a trailer can be made to be so complicated, dry and boring.lets go back to something that wakes you up before the thread gets frozen.........

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-08-13 12:17 PM (#89652 - in reply to #89651)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-08-13 1:11 PM

Aside from checking make-up, I have never been able to use the mirrors for backing up or hooking up the trailer. At 5'2", I have learned to brace my right foot on the center part, under the dash board,sit WAAAYYY up twist around and line up the hitch to the ball. Sounds wierd and you'd have to be there to understand the process but it works.

Also- after reading this thread, I must admit to my eyes gazing over. I never DREAMED hooking up or pulling a trailer can be made to be so complicated, dry and boring.lets go back to something that wakes you up before the thread gets frozen.........

WELL! I guess you could sit and watch this!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAydLXmXaXs

This may have been headed to HWBar's for an extreme makeover!!

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-13 5:39 PM (#89667 - in reply to #89651)

Expert

At 5'2", I have learned to brace my right foot on the center part, under the dash board,sit WAAAYYY up twist around and line up the hitch to the ball. Sounds wierd and you'd have to be there to understand the process but it works.

Ah HA!! Then you need my deluxe GN hooker-upper-thing-a-majiggie...   For a mere $2.50 you TOO can own one...

go to a good hardware store and buy a clamp like this:http://toolclip.thomasnet.com/item/tool-clips/finger-grip-adjustable-clips/2-b?&seo=110

You might only be able to find up to 1 1/4" ... which will work. They usually come 2 or 3 to a packet...

Then, a yardstick or similar sized piece of wood. 1/4" thick.

A 1/8" diameter, 1 1/2" bolt with a screw head.

several nuts and washers that fit the bolt.

Drill a hole about 1/2" up from one end of the yardstick. No more than 5/8" from the end, the hole diameter should be just a hair larger than the 1/8" bolt.  (so 5/32nds or 3/16th drill bit)

Insert the bolt with one washer, through the clamp from front to back. Attach a washer and nut and tighten. Add several more washers and nuts until there is about 3/8" of the bolt left. Insert the bolt through the hole in the yard stick. Apply another washer and nut. TIGHTEN EVERYTHING.

Now. Get in the bed of the truck and clamp the yardstick to the "waist" of the ball of the GN hitch so that the yardstick is between the ball and the cab of the truck and sticking straight up. no tilting allowed. Get into the cab and back the truck up to the trailer. Watch in your inside rearview mirror to align left-right on the trailer coupler.  Ease back slowly. When the coupler tips the yardstick over, you are ON target. : )  The yardstick falls over and clear of the ball.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-08-13 7:38 PM (#89671 - in reply to #89667)

Expert

Originally written by gabz on 2008-08-13 6:39 PM

At 5'2", I have learned to brace my right foot on the center part, under the dash board,sit WAAAYYY up twist around and line up the hitch to the ball. Sounds wierd and you'd have to be there to understand the process but it works.

Ah HA!! Then you need my deluxe GN hooker-upper-thing-a-majiggie...   For a mere $2.50 you TOO can own one...

go to a good hardware store and buy a clamp like this:http://toolclip.thomasnet.com/item/tool-clips/finger-grip-adjustable-clips/2-b?&seo=110

You might only be able to find up to 1 1/4" ... which will work. They usually come 2 or 3 to a packet...

Then, a yardstick or similar sized piece of wood. 1/4" thick.

A 1/8" diameter, 1 1/2" bolt with a screw head.

several nuts and washers that fit the bolt.

Drill a hole about 1/2" up from one end of the yardstick. No more than 5/8" from the end, the hole diameter should be just a hair larger than the 1/8" bolt.  (so 5/32nds or 3/16th drill bit)

Insert the bolt with one washer, through the clamp from front to back. Attach a washer and nut and tighten. Add several more washers and nuts until there is about 3/8" of the bolt left. Insert the bolt through the hole in the yard stick. Apply another washer and nut. TIGHTEN EVERYTHING.

Now. Get in the bed of the truck and clamp the yardstick to the "waist" of the ball of the GN hitch so that the yardstick is between the ball and the cab of the truck and sticking straight up. no tilting allowed. Get into the cab and back the truck up to the trailer. Watch in your inside rearview mirror to align left-right on the trailer coupler.  Ease back slowly. When the coupler tips the yardstick over, you are ON target. : )  The yardstick falls over and clear of the ball.

Wow Gabz,  that is way too high tech for this old redneck.  What happened to the old standby toilet plunger on the GN ball???????  Although I tend not to miss anyway after about 8 million times of hooking up assorted trailers over the years. 

Jellbelle
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-08-13 9:11 PM (#89675 - in reply to #89383)

That's it--I'm getting myself a toilet plunger tomorrow as that sounds like the best solution yet!  Any recommendations on type?
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-14 8:36 AM (#89688 - in reply to #89383)

Use a bungee cord across the bed from the two middle stake pockets. Put a peice of tape centered over the ball and when you back up, go the bungee cord and stop when you touch it. The rollback on mine is the right amount to hit dead center. You don't have to climb in to set it up...in fact, I leave it up when hauling. The only time I take it off is when I am hauling something that is taller than the bed of the truck.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-14 1:25 PM (#89709 - in reply to #89671)

Expert

Originally written by chadsalt on 2008-08-13 8:38 PM

Wow Gabz,  that is way too high tech for this old redneck.  What happened to the old standby toilet plunger on the GN ball???????  Although I tend not to miss anyway after about 8 million times of hooking up assorted trailers over the years. 

Gee... I must not be as old as I thought. I didn't know about the plunger... I like my little stick thingy. : )   Hi tech? hardly.

There is no way I can twist around in the driver's seat to see the ball in the bed of the truck. Tried it. Besides, I prefer using my mirrors. 

Oh... now that I have a little gas mizer car, I can leave the truck and trailer hooked up more often. :) that works good too.

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-08-14 3:02 PM (#89719 - in reply to #89383)

Extreme Veteran

I second the bungee cord method. Only difference is that I place a cable tie (nylon tie sometimes refered to as twisty tie) in the center of the bungee cord that points up. Simply back up until the cable tie hits the neck of the hitch and waaalaaa you are set. If you have a tool box in the bed of your truck you will need to use and extra long cable tie so you can see it beyond the tool box.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-08-14 6:39 PM (#89732 - in reply to #89383)

Extreme Veteran

I don't use anything to help guide for a GN or a bumper pull. Practice makes perfect and yes sometimes if I am having a bad day it will take 3 tries. A spotter with good hand signals is about the best thing but I am always alone like most.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-15 8:04 AM (#89750 - in reply to #89383)

Absolutely agree that practice does make perfect. I can usually hit it first time without the bungee cord...sometimes...getting back in and backing up just a little more. With the bungee...I have never had to get back in the truck and move it. I guess you can call it a lazy man's perfect....
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-15 12:02 PM (#89765 - in reply to #89383)

Expert

My problem is the front-back distance. With the stinking tall sides on the bed and tailgate of the Ford pickup, and a spare tire on the jack wall, there is little room for error when backing under the trailer.  With the tailgate down there is not enough room to bend over to release the latch on the jack to raise the foot.

With nearly perfect level ground, it's also VERY easy to align - but if the ground is slightly or grossly uneven... it gets a little more tricky (as in parked in camping areas).

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-15 5:51 PM (#89788 - in reply to #89765)

Expert

Originally written by gabz on 2008-08-15 12:02 PM

My problem is the front-back distance. With the stinking tall sides on the bed and tailgate of the Ford pickup, and a spare tire on the jack wall, there is little room for error when backing under the trailer.  With the tailgate down there is not enough room to bend over to release the latch on the jack to raise the foot.

With nearly perfect level ground, it's also VERY easy to align - but if the ground is slightly or grossly uneven... it gets a little more tricky (as in parked in camping areas).

Campgrounds ?
Right as you get under the coupler one rear wheel mounts a bump and now you're 3 inches off to one side - THAT sort of campground problem ?

This might work;
A couple of short lengths of 2 x 4, maybe 3ft long.
Drill a hole near each end, say 3/4 or 1 inch around and 4 inches from the end.
When you unhook and BEFORE you drive the truck away, place one behind your truck's left rear tire and one beside it (touching). Drive tent pegs through the holes. This is where you need to come back to and this is how far you need to come back. Paint 'em orange to look "OFFICIAL" if you like.
{patent pending}
(-:
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-16 9:36 AM (#89806 - in reply to #89634)

Expert

Originally written by Reg on 2008-08-13 10:31 AM

Partly/mostly true. The location of the C of G should actually be AHEAD of the front axle, a popular misconception is that it should be slightly behind the front axle, but that is almost impossible with most designs if an acceptable tongue weight is to be achieved. It would in any case lead to instability, since the weight would be "teeter-totter balanced" over the axles. .

If the CG were ahead of the front axle of a three horse BP, several things would occur: The tongue weight would drastically change when the trailer is fully loaded, something that would be critical on many bumper hitch installations. If the hitch had a 300#-400# empty weight and a load of three horses increased it by the same amount ( 10% -15% of 3000#), if would exceed the capabilities of many towing vehicles including SUVs.

It would also cause the front axle to be excessively loaded compared to the rear axle. This would result in a towing instability, and eventually the front tires would wear faster than the rear.

None of these events occured in the tens of thousands of miles of towing and fifteen years of my ownership of our trailer. I pulled our trailer with three vehicles, two different trucks and a SUV. I never had a tracking problem, and when properly loaded, the trailer didn't appreciably have an increased tongue weight. This would have been readily apparent when using the SUV. While it had the optional factory towing package, suspension and tires, it had no automatic or auxiliary load leveling capabilities. It was sprung for comfort, not for a maximum amount of load carrying capability. Loaded or empty, the trailer had little effect on the ride height of the SUV.

Except for a minimal amount of tongue weight, necessary for proper tracking, a 3 horse bumper pull trailer does in fact, balance on the two axles. This is why the loading is so critical. By having the CG slightly behind the front axle, the tongue is weighted and any loads are still shared by the two axles.

The placement of the axles is absolutely critical in this installation. We have read postings about owners of a couple brands of trailers, that had improperly located axles. Tracking problems occurred, and one owner had to return her trailer, so the manufacturer could modify the axle placements.

Both axles have to carry the load, not just the front.

Gard

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-16 11:17 AM (#89811 - in reply to #89383)

Expert

Nope.
The tongue load is about the only way most of us have of figuring where the C of G actually is. The farther forward the more stable the trailer will be, having the C of G closer to the "middle" of the support triangle is the reason. Thinking it needs to be "kinda spread over the load carrying axles" is a common mistake. Moving the C of G farther to the base of that triangle (too far back) leads to instability. I agree that too much tongue load (for the particular tow vehicle) can lead to vagueness in the steering, but that is a tow vehicle problem, not a trailer problem. Load re-distributing hitches more or less solve that issue.
Unless you go to EXTREMES there will be no significant difference in tire wear between front and rear tires, in any case raising the ball will reduce the load on the front axle - and all will again be well.
You can measure your trailer, measure the tongue load, weigh everything, get out an old lo skool fysiks text book, open it to "Levers", do the somewhat trivial arithmetic.
Again, horses carry ~60% of their weight on the fore and 40% about 7ft farther back. Say 1200 lbs almost directly under the chest bars and 800 lbs about a foot inside of the rear door/ramp for a typical 2 horse B/P with 2 nominal 1,000 lb horses in it.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-08-17 8:05 AM (#89850 - in reply to #89383)

Expert

I bought a 24' pontoon last year in Knoxville Tn. about 4 hours from my house, it didn't have a trailer so I borrowed my nieghbors fairly new, name brand, tandem axle trailer designed for a 24' pontoon. I get to the dealer and they put the pontoon on the trailer, all looked well. The pontoon I bought has an inboard(read heavy) and as I head down the road I start to feel the trailer lifting up on the ball when I would hit a bump, so I go back to the dealer and we adjust the front stop as far as we could scoot the boat forward another 2' and off I go. The problem was better but still when I hit a bump I would feel the trailer lifting on the ball. I didn't like this feeling as I am a believer in tongue weight. So I proceed down the road doing 50 mph all the way home with a very uncomfortable feeling about all of this. Every bump I would hit you would feel the trailer unload and it would sway very badly, I finally got it home and put the boat in the water, where I left it all summer. During this time I built(converted an older) trailer. On the new trailer I set the wheels(tandem) back 3 feet further than where my neighbors are. After the summer was over I loaded the pontoon on my "new" trailer, the trailer has a good amount of tongue weight(I drive a 3/4 ton, so it's not an issue) but it pulls like a dream. I have the ball set at just about 1" higher than level, you can run 70mph all day with the boat and the trailer pulls like a dream, never sways or wiggles. So I agree with Reg that the CG has to be forward of the front axle or it will pull terrible. There has to be enough tongue weight to prevent this tetter-totter effect, I don't know how to explain it in engineering terms( leave that to Reg) but the CG has to be in front of the front axle or the trailer will not pull correctly. 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-17 9:53 AM (#89851 - in reply to #89383)

Expert

Well I've got my 3 horse BP trailer and it's hooked up to my SUV, already to go. The trailer and SUV look good there, sitting level, and enough static tongue weight is present to easily pull the trailer safely at any highway speed.

My 1100# horse is being loaded now, but I just read that it should be placed into the forward stall. " The farther forward, the more stable the trailer will be". Accordingly, the weight should be "between the front axle and the hitch" for the "best satiability". The horse is standing in his appointed stall, and as I exit the trailer and look towards the SUV, I notice something wrong.

The back end of the Suv and the tongue of the trailer are only a few inches off the ground, no longer level, sitting on the wheel of the jack. Lets see, the directions say that if this happens, I will have to relocate and raise the hitch height. "Raising the ball will reduce the load and all will again be well." Ok, that's done and now the trailer is once again level. But my SUV still is sagging in the rear, and more importantly, I am now exceeding the factory weight rating for my receiver hitch.

I'm not going far, so I'll try things out anyway. The directions were correct, I definitely have "vagueness in the steering".  At every bump the rear axle is hitting the stops with a crashing noise, the first turn resulted in a series of "S" turns, and as I tried to accelerate to highway speeds, the trailer starts to fishtail. If it were nighttime, my headlights would be blinding tractor trailer operators. But it's ok, because my instructions say this is a "tow vehicle problem, not a trailer problem." Boy I'm relieved to know that!

Now that my vehicle is incapable of driving any distance safely, I have to correct the problems. There are a few: My hitch is overloaded, the tow vehicle's handling is drastically compromised, my trailer is not tracking well, and the rig is unstable at highway speeds. What should I do?

Lets go back to the beginning. The trailer was designed to sit on two axles and their placements were carefully considered, to allow a minimum amount of tongue weight to allow perfect tracking, without any auxiliary weight distribution or swaying aids being installed.

This time when I load the single horse, I'll put it in the center stall, the one which is just about at the balance point of the trailer over the two axles, with a slight forward bias. What happened to the hitch? Well, the SUV and the trailer settled down a couple of inches, but both are level. My hitch weight is now within specifications, and the headlights will actually illuminate the road.

As I pull away, the steering feels normal, and the rear axle doesn't bottom out as we pass over the curb. The first turn is rapidly approaching, as I hold on for the sudden swaying that's sure to follow. We're though it, with no adverse affects. The tracking was normal, the trailer followed the vehicle's path well. As we accelerate to the highway speed limit, there is no hint of fishtailing, and as I engage the cruise control, the prospect of a comfortable, safe ride is a pleasant thought.

The latter scenario using my 3 horse BP trailer, was enjoyed by me for a decade and a half, with three different tow vehicles and thousands of miles of travel. I had the gratification of excellent tracking and stability, never experienced a trailer blow out and was very pleased with my ownership.

I consistently broke the rule  ("kinda spread over the load carrying axles is a common mistake",) of putting the load over the CG, and furthermore, when I again use that type of trailer, I plan to further commit this infraction. Tongue weight is mandatory for proper tracking. More than necessary is detrimental and can be dangerous to yourself and your equipment.

Gard

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-17 9:59 AM (#89852 - in reply to #89383)

Expert

I don't DO slant load trailers (different subject), but I think there have been more than a few threads here suggesting/recommending that 2 horses in a 3 horse slant should go in the front two stalls with the heaviest one at the front, same for 3 in a 4 horse trailer, heaviest as far forward as possible, empty stall at the back.

Some day I'll do a more or less full write up of my trailer building experience.
Short version;
Design really SHOULD precede implementation.
You KNOW when there is negative tongue weight when you can't get the coupler off the ball, however the nail pulling (claw) end of a hammer can get it off.
It is a BIG mistake to be standing astride the tongue when the coupler does let go, I was "lifted up" and not in a spiritual sense.

Edited by Reg 2008-08-17 10:00 AM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-08-17 10:42 AM (#89855 - in reply to #89383)

Expert

Let's simplify:

Tongue weight good................except when overdone.

Tetter-Totter no so good.............bumps will increase the not so good.

Arse heavy, terrible................bumps will increase the terrible.

Remember don't straddle arse heavy trailer when unhooking.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)