'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
choosing a truck

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-09 4:40 PM
30 replies, 10202 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-10-08 7:47 PM (#111654 - in reply to #111383)
Subject: Attention HogTownBoss

Veteran

Originally written by Rose66 on 2009-10-02 5:58 PM

Originally written by hogtownboss on 2009-10-01 9:53 PM

"so when lookiing at a newer Dodge unless you wish to spend another $1000.00 to $1500.00 (like I did) make sure you get a truck with the 5.9L CUMMINS!  Mine is a 6.7L Cummins and we love it NOW, but we use it mainly as a tow vehicle!  Kinda say that you have to spend so much for a new truck, then have to spend more to make it run right! 

"

HTB, what do you mean by this quote? Is there something wrong with the 6.7L Cummins engine that has to be repaired aftermarket? I'm starting to look for a used truck and just wondering. Thanks!

Hey HTB, still want to know what you meant by your quote regarding the 6.7 engine so I can either avoid it or at least be prepared for it if I buy one. Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walbern1
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-10-08 9:35 PM (#111659 - in reply to #109961)
Subject: RE: choosing a truck

Just Google - 6.7 dodge diesel problems - you will have hours of reading. Please don't think it is just Dodge though, GM and Ford have had their fair share of problems lately too. It all revolves around new pollution control systems that the Federal Government mandated. They are getting things figured out...slowly.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-10-08 10:44 PM (#111660 - in reply to #111383)

Expert

Originally written by Rose66 on 2009-10-02 5:58 PM

Originally written by hogtownboss on 2009-10-01 9:53 PM "so when lookiing at a newer Dodge unless you wish to spend another $1000.00 to $1500.00 (like I did) make sure you get a truck with the 5.9L CUMMINS!  Mine is a 6.7L Cummins and we love it NOW, but we use it mainly as a tow vehicle!  Kinda say that you have to spend so much for a new truck, then have to spend more to make it run right! 

" HTB, what do you mean by this quote? Is there something wrong with the 6.7L Cummins engine that has to be repaired aftermarket? I'm starting to look for a used truck and just wondering. Thanks!

Well here goes.

The 07 and newer Dodge trucks with the 6.7L engines has what they call a DPF and egr system installed on them which regenerates the exhaust gases back thru the engine.  Which is BAD for the engine (check the oil on one right after you change it) and kills the fuel mileage.  They do run well, but with the work I did to mine it runs BETTER and my oil is staying cleaner between oil changes.  The 09's and 10's have more of the bugs worked out, but there is still some 07.5's and 08's that have had some issues with the DPF being stopped up even with low miles.  Diesel trucks are made to be stopped up with the egr mess that the epa has put on them and is cutting the life span of the engines. 

On the other hand the new 6 speed automatic and factory exhaust brake is perfect for any type of towing.

My opinion if I was looking for a USED truck I would look for a 07 BACK with the 5.9L CUMMINS, then if I was looking for mileage I would look on back to early 04 and older 5.9L Cummins trucks.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-10-08 10:58 PM (#111662 - in reply to #111654)
Subject: RE: Attention HogTownBoss

Expert

Originally written by Rose66 on 2009-10-08 7:47 PM

" HTB, what do you mean by this quote? Is there something wrong with the 6.7L Cummins engine that has to be repaired aftermarket? I'm starting to look for a used truck and just wondering. Thanks! Hey HTB, still want to know what you meant by your quote regarding the 6.7 engine so I can either avoid it or at least be prepared for it if I buy one. Thanks!

It comes down to the Feds.  They have no clue what does and does NOT work on vehicles, MAINLY DIESELS!  The newer trucks are OK, but can be GREAT if you can work around the extra "un needed in my opinion" stuff they have added to them.

Just take mine, it would pull fine loaded, but POOR fuel mileage even unloaded.  I spent around $1300. and now it runs GREAT and BETTER fuel mileage loaded and unloaded.  I installed an S&B intake kit (is legal) an H&S XRT delete kit (is not really) which deletes the DPF on the exhaust unplugs and turns off the egr system then reprograms the pcm for the adjustments.  What I ended up with is a heavy duty 1-ton truck that I get almost 18 mpg out of unloaded while driving right and around 14 LOADED with the trailer shown in my picture and now I do not have to drive with the tow/haul mode on while towing I can leave it in regular drive unless I am running in the mountains (haven't seen them here in Texas)

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-10-09 12:56 AM (#111665 - in reply to #111662)
Subject: RE: Attention HogTownBoss

Expert

Originally written by hogtownboss on 2009-10-08 11:58 PM

Originally written by Rose66 on 2009-10-08 7:47 PM

" HTB, what do you mean by this quote? Is there something wrong with the 6.7L Cummins engine that has to be repaired aftermarket? I'm starting to look for a used truck and just wondering. Thanks!
Hey HTB, still want to know what you meant by your quote regarding the 6.7 engine so I can either avoid it or at least be prepared for it if I buy one. Thanks!

It comes down to the Feds.  They have no clue what does and does NOT work on vehicles, MAINLY DIESELS!  The newer trucks are OK, but can be GREAT if you can work around the extra "un needed in my opinion" stuff they have added to them.

Just take mine, it would pull fine loaded, but POOR fuel mileage even unloaded.  I spent around $1300. and now it runs GREAT and BETTER fuel mileage loaded and unloaded.  I installed an S&B intake kit (is legal) an H&S XRT delete kit (is not really) which deletes the DPF on the exhaust unplugs and turns off the egr system then reprograms the pcm for the adjustments.  What I ended up with is a heavy duty 1-ton truck that I get almost 18 mpg out of unloaded while driving right and around 14 LOADED with the trailer shown in my picture and now I do not have to drive with the tow/haul mode on while towing I can leave it in regular drive unless I am running in the mountains (haven't seen them here in Texas)

If they ever go to emission testing in your neck of the woods...you will be dinged for having disabled the emissions crap...New England inspects that junk...

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-10-09 4:40 PM (#111686 - in reply to #109961)

Expert

I'm sure the time will come for testing here, but for now I'm going to keep my truck running how the manufacture should have made it run. The good thing about the stuff I installed is I kept the old stuff and it takes me and 1 buddy less than an hour to return the truck to stock. So when that time comes or if I need to "bother" the so-called service department I can and will be legal. The last time I had to see the dealer for service he did ask me how I my oil is staying so clean..... I just told a little white lie and told him I change it once a month...

That is the major downfall to the new grap the epa has put on the diesels, it regens the exhaust gases back into the engine and fills the turbo and DPF full of soot!  Before I did the work on mine I change the air filter at 10-k miles when I installed the S&B INTAKE and the factory intake and hose was full of black soot, no it is not......

Edited by hogtownboss 2009-10-09 4:44 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)