'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Riding in Utah Questions

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-27 6:14 PM
30 replies, 7480 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-02-10 8:09 AM (#99149 - in reply to #99133)
Subject: RE: Riding in Utah Questions

Expert

ridingarocky.  NM requires a coggins along with a health cert and proof of ownership.   You'd have to call the livestock inspector to get the travel permit when you get here.   Where are you planning on coming into NM at?  I can check with the ag office and see if I can find the inspector for that area and get the contact info for you.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-02-10 11:58 AM (#99164 - in reply to #98129)

Elite Veteran

I'm thinking August or September..I don't know how hot it will be in August or how cool it may be in September.. Any suggestions?   I guess I didn't think to type in coggins..  I have those, of course, but I was worried about the other stuff, especially since my new mare is an unreg "freebie".. Actually I'll have a handwritten "bill of sale" on her, but I realize that it means next to nothing to officials.

Thanks for reminding me... I'll call TX livestock inspection or my vet today to see what I need to do besides coggins and health cert. to be able to cross western state lines. I have plenty of time to get something figured out..I know the health cert is only good for 30 days so I don't need to have it all together until just before I leave..

NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-02-10 1:56 PM (#99170 - in reply to #99133)

Regular

ridingarocky, if you are planning during that time period going to Ft Stanton, Labor day weekend is especally pricy as it is the All American Quarter Horse race in Rudioso, just a few miles away.  Its great fun to go there, finding a place to stay can be quiet difficult, rooms or rv hook up go for a premium for miles around.  As for weather depending on how the monsoon season goes it can be rainy in the afternoons to down right beautiful weather, changing to 60mph winds.  NM weather can change quickly like today we actually had snow this morning enough for the kids to have snow ball fights.  This afternoon it has all melted but still blistery cold with the wind chill factor at 25 deg.  Tomorrow is expected high of 60. go figure.  Check about wildlife I know bears have been sighted in fact my step-sister has one come to their cabin/home weekly when they are in residence in Rudioso. 
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-02-11 3:47 PM (#99283 - in reply to #98129)

Elite Veteran

maybe August would be a better time then?  I was planning on rough camping with a tent.... I'd planned on getting a Big Buddy heater that runs off of those propane bottles that you use for the cookstove..It should be safe enough as long as we have the "windows" cracked for ventilation.  I would like to go in June, but I am planning to go to Bandera for a Ranch Heritage Weekend which takes place April 24-26, which will neccesitate my taking that weekend off... I hate to ask for 2 weekends off so close together, not to mention probably not getting both off..

I called the US dept of agriculture today to ask about brand inspection certificates.. I had to explain to 3 different people what I was trying to do.  I never get around to explaining that my concern was that one of my horses was unregistered and that a coggins certificate with microchip number was the only proof of ownership that I had for her.... i finally got SOME information..as where to call next for help... I guess I'll keep on calling until I get what I need...as they pass me to different offices all over the state

Edited by ridingarocky 2009-02-11 3:52 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-02-15 7:38 PM (#99515 - in reply to #99283)

Expert

I sent you the number to our livestock inspector.  Give her a call and she should be able to let you what you need and how to get it.
SarahR
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-02-27 6:14 PM (#100323 - in reply to #98129)

I have a bunch of trail reports on my favorite area in SE Utah here:

http://www.fourcornerstrails.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=314

Mostly they are mine and Paintedhorse's.

I'd love to be hired as a guide, ha ha :)

Sarah

www.fourcornerstrails.com

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World