'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What is the safest way to stop a trailer in an emergency?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-31 9:14 PM
30 replies, 7050 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-01-30 12:07 PM (#75605)
Subject: What is the safest way to stop a trailer in an emergency?

Regular

Hi Everyone,

Last week on the way to 4h I came upone a fellow who had just hit a deer and had put his vehicle (just a car) quite far into the ditch. I stopped to see if he was alright (he was okay, and the deer had been killed instantly). This happened on one of the country roads that I regularly drive down. All of our range roads in our area are paved (thanks to the rich Alberta economy), however, they are not terribly wide. My observation is that most people drive TOO FAST regardless of whether they are hauling a trailer or just driving a single vehicle. I'm sure that speed must have contributed to this collision.

I started to wonder what the appropriate course of action would be should I ever need to stop my trailer quickly. Having grown up in a rural area my driving habits have always (well, okay, from about age 25) been very cautious. I don't speed and I leave at least three car lengths between my vehicle and the next. When I am pulling my loaded trailer  I am extra careful especially when going down those range road that are heavily treed on both sides. We also have moose out here and I have seen firsthand what happens to individuals who survive those collisions (they usually have spinal injuries). So my question is this: Even when driving cautiously there might be situations when you have to stop your trailer asap. I've heard (but thankfully not experienced firsthand) that if you slam on the brakes too hard the trailer will jacknife. Is there a safe way to stop a trailer quickly? Should the trailer brakes be adjusted in that situation. Of course, I am assuming that there would be enough time to do that, which might not be the case.

With regards to animals jumping in front of the vehicle, I was always taught to just hit it straight on and not try and stop first. My dad worked highway patrol for many years and said that he had come across many bad accidents caused by people who swerved suddenly to avoid hitting a rabbit and rolled their vehicle. He also said that if you brake before you hit a deer the front of the vehicle will lower and you will literally scoop the deer up and put it right through your windshield. Not sure if this is always the case, and I hope to never find out. However, it helps to rehearse the response before the event occurs.

Regards,

Jodie

Edited by trailer/truck newbie 2008-01-30 12:11 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-01-30 1:07 PM (#75608 - in reply to #75605)
Subject: RE: What is the safest way to stop a trailer in an emergency?

Extreme Veteran

apply the brakes

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-01-30 1:17 PM (#75612 - in reply to #75605)

Extreme Veteran

I would try to avoid swerving, you're going to be more likely to jack knife or even roll over, if you do swerve don't over correct to get back on the road, I've seen lots of wrecks from that.

I've always figured I would try and stay as straight as possible and and use the brakes pretty hard.... the trailer brakes should be doing their part which will minimize the jack knife problem if everything is working right. My rig is large, 35,000+ lbs, so whatever jumps out in front of me is going to get hit, I just want to stay upright.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-01-30 2:38 PM (#75622 - in reply to #75605)

Elite Veteran

I got an email on this very topic this morning from Millenium Trailers. I have deleted it, but I bet it's on their website, which I believe is just milleniumtrailers.com

I recieved it as a newsletter update. It addressed how to compensate for being passed by a semi, which way to turn your wheels in certain "for instances"; very helpful.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-01-30 2:54 PM (#75625 - in reply to #75622)

Expert

Originally written by terri s on 2008-01-30 2:38 PM

I got an email on this very topic this morning from Millenium Trailers. I have deleted it, but I bet it's on their website, which I believe is just milleniumtrailers.com

I recieved it as a newsletter update. It addressed how to compensate for being passed by a semi, which way to turn your wheels in certain "for instances"; very helpful.

?????

http://www.milltrailers.com/horse-trailers/tips/dec-2007.asp

Edited by chadsalt 2008-01-30 2:57 PM
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-30 3:01 PM (#75627 - in reply to #75605)

Veteran

The safest way to panic stop a trailer is to be prepared for it before you ever start rolling. Most modern vehicles have ABS brakes. If you've prepared your rig properly and are driving at a safe speed for the conditions, if/when you have to slam on the brakes the trailer will not jacknife and the truck will not slide out of control unless there is ice on the road. Being prepared means to use an appropriate tow vehicle for the size of trailer you tow, use a quality brake controller, make sure the controller is adjusted properly, make sure the load is balanced, know your route as well as possible, drive defensively, and leave as large buffer around the vehicle as possible.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-30 6:15 PM (#75645 - in reply to #75627)

Expert

Originally written by Towfoo on 2008-01-30 3:01 AM

The safest way to panic stop a trailer is to be prepared for it before you ever start rolling. Most modern vehicles have ABS brakes. If you've prepared your rig properly and are driving at a safe speed for the conditions, if/when you have to slam on the brakes the trailer will not jacknife and the truck will not slide out of control unless there is ice on the road. Being prepared means to use an appropriate tow vehicle for the size of trailer you tow, use a quality brake controller, make sure the controller is adjusted properly, make sure the load is balanced, know your route as well as possible, drive defensively, and leave as large buffer around the vehicle as possible.

And know exactly where your "oh s**t" button/lever/switch is on the controler.  That way when the idiot in the little car jumps out in front of you, in your buffer zone, and decides you can stop and make way for him you don't run over the top of him.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-01-30 6:28 PM (#75647 - in reply to #75645)

Expert

Originally written by Terri on 2008-01-30 7:15 PM

And know exactly where your "oh s**t" button/lever/switch is on the controler.  That way when the idiot in the little car jumps out in front of you, in your buffer zone, and decides you can stop and make way for him you don't run over the top of him.

May I suggest changing controllers to a Prodigy or equal?  With a proportional controller there is never any reason to use the manual button other than pre-trip brake checks.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-01-30 6:44 PM (#75648 - in reply to #75605)

Expert

Originally written by trailer/truck newbie on 2008-01-30 1:07 PM

So my question is this: Even when driving cautiously there might be situations when you have to stop your trailer asap. I've heard (but thankfully not experienced firsthand) that if you slam on the brakes too hard the trailer will jacknife. Is there a safe way to stop a trailer quickly? Should the trailer brakes be adjusted in that situation. Of course, I am assuming that there would be enough time to do that, which might not be the case.

This is not correct.  There is no reason to jackknife at full brake, assuming properly setup equipment.  Jackknifes are typically cause by three things:

A.  Locked trailer brakes cause the trailer to come out of line with the truck.  This should not happen with proper trailer brake adjustment and a quality proportional brake controller.

B.  Lack of trailer brakes cause the trailer to push the truck out of line.  Again, this should not happen with proper trailer brake adjustment and a quality proportional brake controller.

C.  A swerve induced jackknife.  This is caused by, and can only be prevented by the driver.  Once this type of jackknife is underway you dont generally recover from it.

No the trailer brakes/controller should not be adjusted during a braking event.......there will not be time and I sure wont be taking my hands off the steering wheel.  A Prodigy, or equal, controller will apply full power to the trailer brakes in a full power stop without any additional input from the driver.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-30 7:17 PM (#75654 - in reply to #75605)

Expert

It's one thing to proclaim that taking precautions before an incident occurs, will prevent one from happening. It's quite another to experience the event and know that the only thing that saved your life, was your involuntary reflex actions.

I've had two incidents that could have been serious, that resulted in no injuries.

I was on a six lane highway, three lanes in each direction, in the center lane. The car in front of me was at least the length of two football fields ahead of me; the road was dry, the day clear. I was driving a large SUV pulling a BP three horse combo. Suddenly across my left front fender, a passing car cut in front of me, trying to make the exit we were passing. In one instant the clear roadway I had been enjoying, was filled with almost the whole side of a car.

At almost 70 mph I swerved to the right and within a fraction of a second later, hit the brakes as I saw the car going under my engine hood. Somehow he cleared the front of my SUV as he went across three lanes of traffic. My problems were just beginning.

My vehicle and trailer were now in a strong curve to the right and the trailer was pushing the back end hard to the left. As I hit the brakes, this action increased these forces and I was unable to steer to the left. I let off the brakes and the Suv slowly started to turn in the opposite direction. By now I was in the right hand side of the right hand lane almost to the shoulder. With the vehicle now steering to the left and the brakes again applied, my course was reversed as I headed uncontrollably towards the center lane, with my trailer pushing me in a large arc. Again I let off the brakes and was able to start steering to the right and the center lane.

I was able to reach the manual override on the trailer brake controller and pushed it full on with the vehicle brakes off. This broke the pushing problem on the back of the suv and allowed me to straighten the rig out. When it was straight, I put on the vehicle brakes and went safely to the shoulder. I spent many minutes sitting and reflecting on my good fortune. For almost 3/4 of a mile I had had little or no control of my rig. I had uncontrollably crossed two lanes of traffic, twice. My trailer had wagged the dog.

Last summer I was in my truck pulling a three horse GN trailer. We had just passed a tractor trailer, we were in the left lane going about 65 mph, the cruise was on, the pavement was dry in the evening.

A large explosion hit us, the front of the truck literally jumped into the air. When we came down, the truck immediately pivoted to the left and the front of the trailer went into the right lane. The truck was sliding sideways and headed for the median when I hit the brakes. I could not effect any steering, the wheel was locked. As soon as the brakes were applied, the truck and trailer straightened out and I was straddling the center line. I let off the brakes in an effort to steer and immediately the truck again spun uncontrollably to the left. My wife was able to look out her side window as the pavement and grass came at her as we slid sideways towards the median.

I hit the brakes and again the rig straightened out. By using the brake pedal, I directed the truck towards the median and was able to stop half on the shoulder and median, off of the passing lane.

The cause of the accident was the left front tire which had failed. The carcass was wrapped around the suspension and it destroyed most of the wheel well, and the enclosed mechanics.

I was prepared for these events in that my brake controller, vehicle and trailer brakes, and drive train components were all in good repair. In the beginning of each incident, I had no time to evaluate what I was going to do. I initially reacted only on instinct, and shortly later was able to form a plan based on how the vehicle was reacting to the conditions. Each circumstance was different as was the solution. In  one case the trailer exasperated the problem; in both cases it was the trailer's brakes that saved the day.

You can read all about the preferred manor in which to react to an event, but until it happens to you, you cannot predict what course of action you will use. Only your previous experiences and skills will enable you to do what is proper. What is the best course of action for another event, may not be the best for your involvement. You are the only one there when it happens.

Bol  Gard

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-30 7:37 PM (#75656 - in reply to #75605)

Expert

Same thing happened to my husband pulling a cargo BP trailer.  I was following in a double cab dually pulling a 40' 5th wheel camper.  As his trailer began to take over the truck, the rear tires of the truck would become airborne.  He attempted twice, each way to correct by steering into the skid....the trailer was by this short time taking him from shoulder to shoulder via the rear WD hitch.  He also reached down and applied full pressure to the brake controller while letting off of the truck brakes.  The trailer braked, jerking the truck back inline with it and just that quickly, the incident was over.  This occured on a dry daylight straight pavement.  A half ton truck pulling a 14' long 8' wide cargo trailer loaded with various supplies.  He was using a receiver hitch with properly adjusted weight distributing hitch.  I had the unpleasant advantage of witnessing all of this from my vantage point aprox 100 yards to the rear.  YMMV, just relating one witnessed incident.  Another, a nice TB 2 horse being pulled by a 4 door Blazer 4WD, WDH also.  A bee flew in, the driver wobbled in his attempts to swish the bee away from his daughter, and at 35 mph the trailer took over, and wound up on it's side in the ditch with the horse inside.  He never even got the chance to put his foot on the brake.  The trailer wound up demolished and the horse suffered burns from the molten metal from the cutting torch used to cut him out, but recovered well.  These things can happen with any rig, just seems they happen more when the trailer wheelbase and weight are equal to or more than the tow rig.
jackofalltrades
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-30 8:00 PM (#75660 - in reply to #75605)

New User

TO answer your first question you should not swerve to miss an animal in that situation.I have been a truck driver for 14 years and have learned one thing that very few situations are the same.sounds like you have good driving habits.the amount of brake pressure should depend on the road conditions.its ok to tighten on your trailer brakes when dry.but should reconize when the road is wet you should adjust your trailer brakes lower.there are so many veribles to what tension should be run on a trailer.loaded are empty,wet are dry.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-30 8:28 PM (#75666 - in reply to #75654)

Expert

I don't drive 65-70 mph when I'm going down the road to the store,much less when I've got a trailer with horses loaded towing behind.that has saved me from several scrapes.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-30 8:41 PM (#75670 - in reply to #75605)

Expert

Very true, and good advice!!!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-30 9:11 PM (#75673 - in reply to #75605)

Expert

Okay ... My experience...

Doesn't matter if you're going below the speed limit...

Doesn't matter if you're leaving a lot of space between you and the vehicle ahead...

Doesn't matter if you're a safe driver...

You can't control what other people or animals do...(from another post...)  "stuff" happens.  That reminds me of the trip coming home from Boone. 

It was two lanes of heavy traffic in each direction.  I had left plenty of space between me and the car ahead.  The opposite lane had stopped because of folks waiting to turn left to the Blue Ridge Parkway entrance.  When I about got there, several cars decided to use my ahead space to make the turn.   Only problem was for the last car, the entrance traffic suddenly stopped.  The last car was now blocked from going forward and the traffic was flowing behind him.  He was stuck in MY lane!  I couldn't move left because of the moving traffic and cars were in front of him blocking his movement or mine to the right.  He was about to get hit! While I stomped the brakes, blew the horn, I locked eyes with the right back seat passenger.  At the last moment, the path cleared and the car pulled forward and out of our path.  

Afterward, I thought hard about what almost happened.  ... I came to the conclusion that a straight ahead collision is the best choice of a lot of poor choices.  The engine and air bags will help protect me from the initial collision.  And, the bed and rear of the truck will protect us from the trailer if only it doesn't over ride the truck.  The horses are also best protected in a frontal collision.  Anything that overturns the trailer or impacts the sides are worse for them.  Side impact to the truck is especially dangerous to people.  Head injuries from the rebound kills a lot of people.  That's why side air bags are getting to be standard equipment.

So ... Jodie 

My plan and advice to you is :  Brake hard and hold the rig straight.

Edited by hosspuller 2008-01-30 9:12 PM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-30 9:25 PM (#75674 - in reply to #75605)

Expert

Also very good advice!

A trailer can ride up into the truck, brother in law got rear ended.  He was stopped at a stop sign, drunk driver rear ended him at 80.  B in L was pulling a 30' flatbed gooseneck loaded with hay.  Ball snapped off and the hitch went through the toolbox behind the cab and came on into the cab, but nobody (included the drunk driver!) was hurt really.  Amazing.  Anything can happen, can't keep ya from doing what you need to do, just keep your equipment up and pay attention...prepare for the worst but hope for the best!!

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-31 8:42 AM (#75697 - in reply to #75673)

Expert

Keep posting these horror stories,and I won't even get on the road this year at all in our trailer!!!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-31 8:51 AM (#75699 - in reply to #75666)

Expert

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-01-30 9:28 PM

I don't drive 65-70 mph when I'm going down the road to the store

crowleysridgegirl

When I go to the store, I use one of my cars and go the posted speed limit which is 35mph.

Gard

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-01-31 9:47 AM (#75705 - in reply to #75605)

Elite Veteran

A vet tech I know insists that NO ONE should get a driver's license before they've been required to pull a trailer themselves. Then maybe they'd understand and quit being the little car who just couldn't wait and pulled ahead, or the one who passed, etc.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-31 9:55 AM (#75707 - in reply to #75699)

Expert

I have to walk because my husband has got the wagon and team to drive to work.

ha ha ha.very funny,gard.

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-01-31 8:37 PM (#75780 - in reply to #75612)

Regular

Greyhorse,

Thanks for the tips. I guess overcorrecting would be a natural response sometimes, but as you said, a deadly one. With a rig as big as yours I'll bet a moose woud be flattened into a pancake!

Regards,

Jodie

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-01-31 8:41 PM (#75781 - in reply to #75627)

Regular

Thank you Towfo, that is good advice. I guess I'm a little paranoid about the possibility of jacknifing. I thought it happened as a function of applying the brakes hard, but I'm glad to hear that is not the case.

Regards,

Jodie

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-01-31 8:44 PM (#75782 - in reply to #75647)

Regular

Hi Chadsalt,

The proportional controller sounds like a much safer alternative to the manual one. I'm not sure which one mine is I will have to check for the manul and look.

Thanks,

Jodie

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-01-31 8:53 PM (#75784 - in reply to #75654)

Regular

Hi Gard,

Wow, if either of those incidents had happened to an unseasoned driver I'll bet the outcomes would have been disastrous. You really know what you are doing....  Were you able to determine why the front tire blew out in the second accident? It scares the beejeepers out me to think about how the heck I would manage in that situation as I have very little experience and my skills are (hmm, I guess I would say a work in progress).

Regards,

Jodie

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-01-31 8:55 PM (#75785 - in reply to #75656)

Regular

Did I mention that the mere thougth of driving ANYTHING on a six lane highway is scary? Wow, I have never driven on anything like that. That would be pretty indimidating. You must have to plan your exits to the off ramps well in advance even if you aren't hauling anything.

Regards,

Jodie

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World