'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Long Haul- Ok I know most has been covered double checking Myself

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-09 12:41 PM
29 replies, 5767 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-07-23 10:49 AM (#45266 - in reply to #45081)
Subject: RE: Long Haul- Ok I know most has been covered double checking Myself

Veteran

This is mostly for TrueColours but thought that most folks would find it interesting. And the reason we are doing the trip ourselves. When you bring in a horse from Canada it is basically a simple thing. The kicker come from the details. If you are bring the horse across and you own the horse there is no Vet charge. And you do not have to pay a broker fee. If you use a shipper then they add costs, 40 dollars US for the Vet and 80 dollars for the broker fees. Other thing is that if you have paid GST in Canada for the horse you need to stop at the Canadian customs and get the bill of sale stamped to get your GST back. This alone for us adds 25% to the cost of shipping. If it is only one horse then we ship to Langley, drive up, load up the horse and come back through. The major thing to worry about and you need to check with the folks at US Customs is do they have a Vet at that crossing. No Vet, you are not coming through, and it can vary from day to day.

Truecolors, Kilroywashere0 says Hi
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 8:53 AM (#46264 - in reply to #45081)

Veteran

Well, we did not do the long run I thought. Just ran over and up into Canada and back about three hundred miles total. No problems and just the one horse on the way back.

Side note about when we were heading up I-5 to Canada. We were running up the road and coming up on a weight station. Washington now has reader boards telling which trucks to pull over. Low and behold we were one. For us no big deal as empty we are way under any limit with this setup. But if you are or close to the max limit for your combo it could be a problem. Or perhaps f you do not have the correct license for your combo.

Oh, and I don't know if there is any thing to it. But after we pulled through we had a State Patrol car go by us. Wonder if they keep them around to go after some one who does not pull in. Have seen them waiting in the lots before.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-09 11:37 AM (#46287 - in reply to #45081)

Elite Veteran

I have been by that weigh station many times with loaded and empty trailers, they always say pull in and I dont.Never been stoped once in 20 years.I think it is the height that triggers the sign not weight cause even empty it says to pull in.I was told once it was only for commercial trucks and I didn't have to stop.

So anyway I have been either damn lucky or what  I was told is true.

So how bout it any DOT experts out there.I don't want to hear "hearsay" I want it from the horses mouth, so to speak. 

Did you pull in ? and what did they say ?

inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-08-09 12:05 PM (#46292 - in reply to #45081)

Veteran

We pulled in and just got waved through. Just was not going to take a chance. Figured better safe than sorry.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-09 12:41 PM (#46295 - in reply to #45081)

Elite Veteran

Yup, good deal. Happyness is a wave!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'