'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck and Trailer Question

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-11-07 8:17 PM
29 replies, 7575 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-10-23 11:18 PM (#112308 - in reply to #112298)
Subject: RE: Truck and Trailer Question

Expert

Originally written by Rose66 on 2009-10-23 6:02 PM

Originally written by Paul D on 2009-10-23 7:49 AM

Rose,

What is probably happening is the electronic controls that lock your transmissions torque converter into a direct drive type of connection are going on/off rapidly which causes the jerking sensation you are experiencing. This problem can be caused by several different conditions. One of those conditions is the rear anti-lock brakes. This is something that is not apparent to most people and some technicans included. The rear axle sends a signal to the anti-lock brake controller that must match up with the signals from the front wheels. When the signals don't match the anti-lock brake controller sends a signal to the transmission controller that unlocks the locking torque converter. When this happens under normal circumstances you never feel anything. When the transmission controller receives inconsistant signals the locking torque converter is going on/off which can cause the jerking you are feeling while under load but when you release the accelerator the condition disappears because no load is being applied to the torque converter.

However in your case the problem could be caused by the solenoid (or whatever they want to call it) in the transmission that actually locks the torque converter. These do go bad and they can cause the jerking you are experiencing or if they stick in the on position when you come to a stop sign and apply the brakes you will kill the engine. Some repair shops would rebuild your transmission and send you on your way. I personally would only replace the defective solenoid and see if that fixes the problem.

Paul, I don't know much about trucks but what you describe actually makes sense and sounds likely. I'm going to print out your post and show it to the Ford dealership to see what they say. If it were my solenoid in my transmission going bad, is it common for them to go bad in less than 10,000 miles? Or could there be something else wrong that made the solenoid go bad? Thanks!

Rose, I have been dealing with these type trucks for some years now and the first thing you will notice if the problem is what Paul has talked about is the OD or TOW/HAUL light will flash on and off and or your abs light will come on as well.  You can confirm this with 99% of the folks that works on Ford stuff.  Yes, these solenoids in the transmission do work along with the abs sensors like Paul said.  But this is something you would notice unloaded also, not just when you had a trailer hooked up.

So please do not go spend good money after bad on the transmission again.  Go see Don and pull a couple of trailers and I think you will find that you might need to add some type of rear helper springs, air bags or even try the hitch deal.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul D
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-10-24 10:17 AM (#112318 - in reply to #112298)

Regular

Rose,

After reading the last response posted by 'hogtownboss' I realized the post I made that mentioned having the solenoid replaced was probably not clear as to what I wanted to convey in my message. I was trying to say that it is not likely you need another transmission replacement and the solenoid was an example of something that could fail prematurely. I am still convinced that if you pulled the trailer without experiencing any problems for the first 10K miles after the transmission was rebuilt that the transmission is what is causing the jerking. I mentioned several items that could be part of the problem and I still believe a good transmission shop would be the best place to go to solve your problem. Keep us posted as to what finally cures the problem. And make sure the TSB #07-6-9 has been addressed by your repair shop or Ford dealer.

Paul

Edited by Paul D 2009-10-24 10:19 AM
Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-11-07 7:31 PM (#112898 - in reply to #111920)

Veteran

Thought I would let ya'll know that we decided to just get another truck rather than spend more time and money trying to find the problem and then repair it on the Ford I had. So this past Wednesday, I bought a 2006 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab dual rear wheels. I haven't pulled anything with it yet because it needs a brake controller but I'm praying it pulls my trailers good. I greatly appreciate all the help offered on my truck problem though.
Paul D
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-11-07 7:41 PM (#112900 - in reply to #112898)

Regular

Great idea, I am a died in the wool Ford man, but I drive a 2001 Dodge 2500 QC 4 x 4 with a Cummins and a 6 speed manual. I am at 270K plus miles and still on the original clutch, transmission, transfer case, etc, etc. Really never had a wrench on the truck for anything other than routine maintenence.

Good Luck, Paul

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-11-07 8:17 PM (#112902 - in reply to #112898)

Expert

Originally written by Rose66 on 2009-11-07 7:31 PM

Thought I would let ya'll know that we decided to just get another truck rather than spend more time and money trying to find the problem and then repair it on the Ford I had. So this past Wednesday, I bought a 2006 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab dual rear wheels. I haven't pulled anything with it yet because it needs a brake controller but I'm praying it pulls my trailers good. I greatly appreciate all the help offered on my truck problem though.

Thats great Rose, you will love that Dodge.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)