'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trail Safety/Stayin' Alive

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-31 6:27 PM
29 replies, 10230 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-15 3:45 AM (#74436)
Subject: Trail Safety/Stayin' Alive

Expert

With the heightened sense of crimes committed in the great outdoors because of the recent tragic deaths of hiker Meridith Emerson and others,I've thought a lot about safety on the trail for riders.

I read an excellent article in the Gainsville,GA times written by Debbie Gilbert. it is http://www.gainsvilletimes.com/news/article/2551/ and is called "Safe Hiking: Trust Your Instincts."

Basically the same rules would apply for trail riders and campers as for hikers.

"Be aware of your surroundings,and have a plan in the back of your mind.If you come upon a situation where you are uncomfortable,try to hike out with other people if you can."

"Do not hike (ride) alone." "If you get hurt out there,you'll need someone with you who can go for help."

"Guns are not allowed in state parks.Some women carry mace,but that's not a cure-all.And a dog is not protection,either.Having a cell phone is a good idea,except that it's difficult to get reception signals.Technology is fallible.The best advice is to go with your gut feeling.Always question the intentions of people you encounter."Gilbert was quoting David Foot,superintendent of Vogel State Park where Emerson was hiking on the day she disappeared.

If you sense something is not right about a person,don't ignore the feeling.It's best not to ride alone,but if you are by yourself and meet a suspicious person,say that you are with a group that is behind you and move on quickly if you have to.Don't disclose where you are going,or where you are parked.Don't carry valuables.Tell someone at home your itinerary and when you expect to return.Make a plan for what they should do if you are not back on time.If there is a register at the trailhead,sign in using your real name.If you have a trail "nickname" be sure your family and friends know it.Report any suspicious person to park rangers or to other local authorities.

These common sense rules are taken from the article by Gilbert.She also referred to a book written after 2 women were murdered near the  Appalachian Trail in 1996.The book is called "Trail Safe" and subtitled "averting threatening human behavior in the outdoors." It was written by Michael Bane and sold online.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-01-16 6:13 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-15 7:31 AM (#74445 - in reply to #74436)
Subject: RE: Trail Safety/Stayin' Alive

Elite Veteran

Good advise. Thanks.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-15 1:26 PM (#74463 - in reply to #74445)

Expert

You're welcome.I feel that it is important information for us that trail ride,because a lot of women ride alone or in pairs,and I've ridden in areas before with just myself and my husband where I have for some reason felt uncomfortable.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-01-16 11:27 AM (#74549 - in reply to #74436)

Extreme Veteran

I do ride alone. In fact, I love the peace of not having to hold a conversation all the time, and I especially love the bond it forges with my horse. However, I also realize the risks it involves. I take a 1st aid kit, cell phone, compass, etc. etc.etc. When I get a weird feeling about someone I encounter on the trail, I tell them to watch for other riders behind me. Who knows...Maybe someone will come along? When I have my dog with me, I very nervously say "Be nice, be nice. Good girl." Even if the person is used to dogs, they usually back off, and that makes my friendly, tail wagging, puppy-dog get a little stand-offish. Keep safe and ALWAYS trust your gut!

Gosh, in re-reading this it sounds like I'm totally anti-social! I ride with friends alot too...I just appreciate riding alone sometimes.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-16 12:36 PM (#74555 - in reply to #74549)

Expert

I have ridden the roads here alone,and will do so again.You are savvy in your actions and precautions,and since I have read and re-read the news stories about Gary Hilton and the way he managed to get close enough to 4 trail hikers and kill them (they believe now he has killed all 4,and maybe a 5th) I have just been thinking it over.THe important thing is: you have a plan,and you follow through,and you don't get too friendly with a stranger on the trail.Sounds like you are enjoying yourself and being sure you will continue to do so.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-16 2:08 PM (#74558 - in reply to #74436)

Expert

I like CRG above, ride alone...... a great deal.  I live next to a 160,000 acre wildlife management area, where I ride often.  I am a volunteer firefighter, and carry a police radio, which can make people nervous !  I very much enjoy riding alone, but do put some thought into it.  There is a GPS on the mule, who, absoLUTEly knows the way home, so a backtrack along that route would find my helpless self, I wear a helmet, I carry serious protection, for which I have a permit, and it is legal where I ride.  I have a serious dog, who is not inclined to like people anyway.  I ride with others often, as well, who all rely on the fact that   "SHE will guard us"  .... but each one of us needs to watch around us, and trust our instincts.  Anyone lurking and hiding in the shrubbery would certainly be noted by our riding animals, so we need to keep an eye on our mounts as well.... for what they "spot" as well as might booger from.  Altho I suspect a serious attacker would take a more friendly engaging approach. I encourage all the other ladies (gents too, for that matter) to take a concealed carry firearms class, and learn more about self awareness and protection regardless of if you carry a firearm or not.  You will be pleased to be well received and learn a good deal...

Have a reasonable working knowledge of your vehicle, keep a jiffy-jack to make quick work of changing a trailer tire, and know how.  Keep your vehicle, trailer and tack in safe shape.  Part of not being a victim is to not be kept out in a potentially bad area by equipment failure.  It certainly pays to think about, and thanks to the OP for bringing it up to us all.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-01-16 2:58 PM (#74561 - in reply to #74436)

Elite Veteran

Down here in the hills there have been numerous women go missing... I don't ride off our place alone anymore. I think anyone who rides in the wilderness areas of this country should probably apply for a concealed carry permit and get a lethal weapon. You do not have to be a "gun-nut" to want to stay alive in a situation, and you shouldn't have to alter your lifestyle, lock the doors and pull the curtains to stay safe...Right now is a great time to lose some weight,get buff, and be ready if you face a challenging situation out on the trail...
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-01-16 5:02 PM (#74573 - in reply to #74436)

Extreme Veteran

Slightly off topic...I just remembered an "event" that happened years ago regarding a "hidden" attacker...Still makes me laugh! I was riding alone, at dusk, and decided I'd go up what I knew was an old dead-end utility pole lookout road, then head home. When I got nearly up to the top my horse suddenly got really antsy. I looked around for the cause, and lo and behold there was a real nice pot farm set-up. My guess is that there were 500+ plants, watering jugs, fertilizer, etc. I KNEW the "farmer" must be hidden somewhere nearby and that's why my great horse was nervous. I also knew these guys are sometimes heavily armed to protect their "investment" and not at all afraid to use their weapons. I was stuck. If I acted like I saw the plants, who knows what would have happened? So, being the quick thinker I am...I acted like a total air-head, dingbat! I talked a blue streak to my horse LOUDLY about the view, about how pretty he was, about going home right away, about him being the best horse alive (which is absolutely true, until he died at 26!). The idea being that if I talked like that, there's no way I would embarrass myself by doing it in FRONT of somebody, so I obviously hadn't seen anything. Anyway, it worked and I'm still here....Oh, and the whole operation was gone by the time the police got there a couple days later. I guess my lunacy scared him off.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-16 6:19 PM (#74579 - in reply to #74573)

Expert

Once again,smart thinking.Those guys/gals in the weed/meth business are probably the most dangerous to encounter next to serial killers,or,could even be worse.

I also read a book several yrs ago entitled "Survival" by a Hugh McDonald.He was former LA county sheriff and had been a Green Beret instructor.He presented several cases of homicides and then rewrote the senarios pointing out what the folks could have done/NOT done that may have saved their lives.I always remember that he talked about thinking out our actions beforehand and imagining what we might do if anything were to occur.I know it puts a damper on ordinary things like just going to the mall,but anymore,that's not considered as safe as it once was.Point is: after thinking it through,it will become "second nature" so if something does occur you will be ready.

I mispelled the link in my OP and have corrected it so that the article will come up.It may be archived and might be viewed by searching "Safe Hiking: Trust Your Instincts." The link is http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/article/2551/ hope this will work,and apologies to those from that city!

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-16 6:25 PM (#74580 - in reply to #74561)

Expert

Originally written by calamityj on 2008-01-16 2:58 PM

I think anyone who rides in the wilderness areas of this country should probably apply for a concealed carry permit and get a lethal weapon.

This is a good idea if you want to keep it in your trailer,or even in your backpack.However,remember that pistols/handguns are notoriously dangerous and can be accidently discharged,so,I'd want a revolver,I think.ALso remember that: if you're going to carry a gun while horseback riding that you might remotely think you would fire,be DARNED sure you can fire it from your horse's back without being thrown off.If you survived,you would have just given your attacker the one thing he wants,and the other thing he needs: a victim AND a weapon.

Our horses themselves are our greatest weapon if we encounter someone on foot in the woods or on an open trail.It's not easy to drag somebody off of a horse that has some basic neck reining and can be maneuvered around a person.Just act like you're in some yellowjackets or something,and get the H out of there.!!

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-01-16 8:10 PM (#74584 - in reply to #74436)

CRG Thanks for reminding us all to be aware.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-01-17 8:40 AM (#74608 - in reply to #74436)

Extreme Veteran

Carrying a gun sounds like a good plan but even if I knew how to use one my horse would dump me and take off!   When I conditioned for endurance I rode mostly by myself and in some pretty isolated areas.  my saddles all have a gerber knife in a holder, altho it's doubtful I could get it out in time in a threatening situation...  I always carry a crop on the trail. don't need it for the horse but I've heard if someone comes at you to hit them as hard as you can w/ the crop and don't let them get hold of the reins.  

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-17 8:54 AM (#74612 - in reply to #74608)

Expert

Yes,that is a good idea.

It's proven that it takes a huge amount of mental conditioning and nerve and "chutzpa" for a man or woman not trained to do so,to point and fire a weapon at a person for the first time.Even police officers will tell you this.I know that we all think,'Well,just let me run into somebody threatening me and we'll see what I'll do!" Yes,I think in a situation such as: someone forcing the door open on your trailer or breaking down the door to your house would probably push me enough to,(at the last second after verbally warning them and they go ahead and break in on me anyway,) shoot to protect my life.But in a situation such as on the trail when we might encounter someone they depend on the element of surprise to work in their favor.I'm sure that Gary Hilton was coming across to Meridith Emerson and the elderly couple,ect.as a "real nice guy who is out for a hike,too" until the last second and they realized too late that his intentions were to KILL them for their ATM cards and whatever other sick excuses he had.

So for me,I'd rather not go places if I think I might have to carry a gun on my horse with me.I'd rather take the precautions mentioned in the article,and use my gut instinct and either not get into threatening situations or if so,know how to get out as quickly as possible.Besides,believe it or not,it takes a lot of practice to  fire a handgun from either a horse or standing position and accurately hit a target.We might think,"Well,it will scare the crap out of them!" More than likely it will scare the crap out of us and our horse and cause a whole different set of problems.

Besides,we can't go about our everyday lives armed with guns every time we go to the store,WalMart,ect.Most women and men for that matter just don't live like that unless we're running with a gang on the streets.So for me,I'd rather use street sense anyway and know what to do to safely extricate myself from a dangerous situation.

Sorry I have gone on about this like I have.I never expected my thread to get such response and I'm glad.Hey,it would make my day if someone were to tell me someday that they read the article and followed the tip and saved their own life.That's what it is about,we have to look out for "# 1" in trail riding or activities that we undertake daily in a sense.

But yeah,that riding crop idea is a good one.Barring that,even a broken off limb would work in a pinch.Just be sure you make the first whack a really good one.THEN get the H out of there!!! 

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-01-17 8:57 AM
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-01-23 7:23 PM (#75177 - in reply to #74612)

Extreme Veteran

This is a great post. It is unfortunate that we have to talk about these things...One of the trail magazines (either Trail Blazer or The Trail Rider, I can't remember which one) ran a great article or two on trail safety last year. One thing that could really help you is not letting someone pet your horse. This could easily allow them to gain control of your animal. This nearly happened to a girl nearby as she was riding alone along a canal. A man approached her and tried to grab her horse's tack. She was, fortunately, able to ride away. This may sound perfectly logical but how many times have you wanted to present riders in a good light and let someone pet your horse? I wish I could remember the other great tips they had but I have CRS so I'll just leave it as I can remember it.

Happy, safe trails out there!

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-23 7:52 PM (#75181 - in reply to #75177)

Expert

Another great tip from a poster,YAAA! This is good.I've read that,also,and I remember the article or one similar in "Trail Rider" magazine.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-01-23 10:56 PM (#75191 - in reply to #74436)

Extreme Veteran

OK, I give up Randemtam...What's CRS??? I think I have it too if it's memory loss!
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-24 7:36 AM (#75195 - in reply to #74436)

Expert

it means " Can't Remember Sh*t" !!!
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-01-24 8:10 AM (#75199 - in reply to #75195)

Extreme Veteran

Bingo!!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-01-24 9:48 AM (#75204 - in reply to #74436)

oh my, I must have CRS.....thought it was brain clouds.....

Anyway there is an article in the new Equus magazine about trail safety.

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-01-26 10:39 PM (#75352 - in reply to #74436)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks guys! Now I know what to call my ailment...And it sounds so official with the initials and all!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-27 4:44 PM (#75392 - in reply to #74436)

Expert

For those who might be interested in viewing it,there is a guest book for Meredith Emerson online with over 2000 entries at this time.

http://www.legacy.com/Atlanta/obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonID=100869042

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-01-27 4:46 PM
djkrash
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-01-28 1:07 PM (#75448 - in reply to #74436)

Back on topic, one of the best devices around is the good ole pepper spray. Useful against human and animal(read bear, dog) alike. A gun unless you know how to use it and your mount is conditioned to it is just as dangerous to you. The NRA offers many good learning programs for men and women. The best thing is the "buddy sytem" and let somebody you trust know where you are and when you expect to be back. Then check in when you are off the trail and safe.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-28 5:39 PM (#75470 - in reply to #74436)

Elite Veteran

I never let any one pet my horse .  I tell them that it might bite.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-28 8:38 PM (#75485 - in reply to #74436)

Expert

Hey, most of us are certainly well enough mounted that if the would be attacker does not have hold of the tack, mount, or you...........well, running away is a great escape! 

Any deterrent, firearm, whip, pepper spray, mace, claw hammer  (just kiddin) does need to be able to be utilized while on your mount.  A self defense class is a very good idea for whatever protection you use, awareness of your surroundings, a good seat and obedient mount are probably your most necessary defenses.  Growing up in a target shooting and hunting family within a circle of law enforcement and military family, as well as multiple self defense classes and firearms safety classes, is an advantage, I admit.  Your best "weapon" is an educated, prepared, and ready mentality.  Anyone close enough to pat your horse is close enough to grab your leg... if your horse does not stand quietly while you try to beat your attacker with a ?.. when the horse jumps, whether from your efforts or the effects of being attacked, your attacker will drag you off.  Self defense educators do not recommend to pick a fight, but awareness and a "look them in the eye" affect are deterrents..

Invest in self defense classes, as much for the little things you will learn as much as for the additional wisdom and confidence.  Keep your equipment solid and safe, perhaps do some slow motion role acting to prepare your mount to be obedient should you find yourself in this unusual situation.... sort of a spin off of a trail class..!  Enjoy your rides, yes, all these suggestions are useful....  really, primarily be aware of your surroundings.  Your horse usually is a good barometer if something is "off" about someone....listen to your instincts, and your mount's.

trailridinladee
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-29 9:10 PM (#75564 - in reply to #74436)

In regards to trail safety, there was a an article in the Trail Blazer with Scott Hansen who is an ex Mounted Police officer.  He does clinics on trail safety and has videos out that you can purchase.  I was able to go to one of his Clinics here is Washington state and it was very helpful.  First of all do NOT use a crop on someone, all they have to do is get a hold of it and pull you off the horse,  he demonstrated this and was able to pull the rider, who was even prepared for it, right off her horse.  Also use your horse as a weapon,  turn the rear end around at the person, most people do not know if the horse will kick, but they do not want to take the chance.  I could go on and on, but there is an article at www.bayequest.info/unbridled/unbridlednews-selfdefense.htm, and Scots website is www.horsethink.com he has a lot of information to share and is very helpful.  My husband wanted me to carry a gun when I rode and had me take 3 gun classes, the first class is all about the legalities and moral issues and responsibilities.  As someone previously said, if you carry it you should know how to use it.  We actually practiced with both hands individually and you have to get your horse used to the gunfire.  If you know of anyone doing cowboy mounted shooting, that would be a great way to get your horse used to it.  Also what if you are out riding during hunting season and someone starts shooting.  Anyway God Bless and keep you safe.  Happy Trails...

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)