'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ Do's Dont's & Must Have

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2024-06-29 8:36 AM
29 replies, 11270 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lottarate
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-03-21 11:02 AM (#150698)
Subject: LQ Do's Dont's & Must Have

I am the new owner of used Silverlite LQ Trailer and am wanting to know the ins & outs of maintenence ~ must dos ~ secrets etc
I live in NE California so it is very cold in the Winter & 100 in the Summer. Currently trailer is winterized / blown out ~ going to take 1st short trip this weekend. Horse area is perfect condition, tires are great, batteries new, propane filled. No on board generator I have a Honda 2000 ~ considering getting another 2000 (I have read generator thread below) OH and electric or hydro is definately on the list !!
I have cleaning to do (it sat all Winter) What do you leave in LQ all the time What mistakes do some make~~
Do most travel with full water or fill when get there. favorite chemicals ? RV tp a must ?
Sorry to ramble, just a lot excited about the maiden voyage & future trips AND saving on hotel rooms !!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2013-03-21 1:19 PM (#150701 - in reply to #150698)
Subject: RE: LQ Do's Dont's & Must Have

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations on your new trailer and safe travels! I live in PA where we get cold weather too so winterization is important. I do not leave anything in the trailer over winter that can freeze. I clean the LQ out when we are done with it for the winter and it makes cleaning that much easier in the spring. I do have a small handheld Shark vacuum that stores nicely in my small LQ and makes cleaning easy. I stock the trailer with anything I use at home on a regular basis that will make my life camping easier. Our biggest purchase in the past few years had been quality outdoor chairs for relaxing after rides. We started out with the everyday "bag" chair which gets uncomfortable for long periods of hanging out under the awning and then went to a higher quality folding outdoor chair with a metal frame. We went the Cabelas reclining chairs last year and they are the bomb!
lottarate
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-03-21 1:55 PM (#150702 - in reply to #150698)

Thanks~ I will check out the shark hand held....
I was thrilled to learn my camping chairs fit in the 1st manger storage, with the water buckets.
Thanks again for the reply~ I don't have to worry about winterizing for awhile~ Does anyone recommend drainging clean water if going to sit parked for a couple weeks in hot weather ?

dkhunter04
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2013-03-21 2:00 PM (#150703 - in reply to #150698)

Regular

Purchase a small ceramic heater for use in cold weather when shore power is available.  Very efficient & quiet, and you're already paying for the electric so save on propane.  Be sure to get one with a thermostat that shuts off when a set temp is reached.
Saddleup
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2013-03-21 5:06 PM (#150704 - in reply to #150698)

Regular

I do not travel with a full tank of water unless absolutely necessary. I do put in a couple of gallons at start of trip, just enough to flush if necessary. We fill tanks at or near destination if at all possible. The weight in the tanks is hard on the mounting straps.. ie 40 gal water tank is 400 lbs weight, not to mention extra overall trailer weight.  I use T-5 toilet chemical, as not formaldehyde in this chemical and it doesn't smell all that bad. Definitely use rv  t-paper, as it decomposes better than regular tissue. If you have a horse water tank, and a finicky drinking horse, I would suggest filling tank partially full at home so horse will drink on arrival or enroute to destination, thus will be drinking water they are used to. For this time of year, take some extra reading material, or hobby item if possible, as the days are a lot shorter now than summer, and it makes for long evening with something to do. If you can, change out your bulbs in the living quarters of your trailer to LED bulbs, preferably the 120 led per bulb ones, you only need to change out the ones you anticipate the most usage from, for starters. These bulbs can be expensive, however only use 1/10th the amperage use compared to an incandescent bulb, ultimately longer life from your batteries.

enjoy your first ride and camp...

lottarate
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-03-21 11:50 PM (#150713 - in reply to #150698)

Thanks, ceramic heater is a good idea, easy to store, small & I have a new one!
Thanks also for chemical & insider info on the led lights. Partially filling tanks makes sense to me, but was surprised how many people travel full.
All these a are very helpful hints!
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2013-03-22 2:25 AM (#150714 - in reply to #150698)

Veteran

I have a 105 gallon fresh water tank.  I like to have 10-15 gallons so we can flush and wash hands and make a fast snake on the road.  I once took about 75 gallons with me over the road and I could feel it sloshing around as I drove, that gets old on mountain roads very fast.

We also have dedicated pots and pans for the trailer along with dishes and flat wear, that way there is nothing to forget.

I load the trailer with the heaviest items as low as I can get them.  Bottled water, can goods and the like go low and lighter stuff goes up high.  Sometime we rearrange things when we get to camp but for driving a low center of gravity is a big plus.

My wife and I keep our clothes in the nose above our bed and we keep our daughters stuff where we can get to it easy, as 4 year olds need to change more often.  

We keep a rope in the horse area to use as a clothes line to dry towels

We made blackout curtains for all the window, they are a must if you want to sleep past sunrise.  We also made a curtain that blocks the bed off from the rest of the trailer to keep the AC from blowing into the sleeping area to hard but still keep us cool.

I added a smoke detector that has an escape light.  We had the furnace overheat when the battery got low and the blower could not keep the thing cool so the trailer filled with smoke.  When the alarm went off I could not find my flashlight nor a light switch.

Get a small broom and dust pan to clean the floor right before everyone gets ready for bed.  Small rocks and thorns have a way of coming inside and are best found with tender feet.

And for your questions, we don’t use RV toilet paper nor do we put chemicals in our black or gray tanks.  At the end of a trip or if we dumped and will tow in hot weather I will add a cup or so of Pine Sol is the black tank to keep the stink down.

rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2013-03-22 5:25 AM (#150715 - in reply to #150698)

Extreme Veteran

A crock pot is a must. I prepare the meal the night before. Then in morning put everything in crock pot,plug it in, and saddle up. 4 hours later when we get back to camp, unsaddle, square away horses & tack, sit back under the the awning and smell the aroma while nursing a couple Moose Heads, and next thing you know dinner is ready. Always fill it to the top, you'll have lunch tomorrow.

I also have a combo convection/microwave oven. Nothing like fresh bisquits in the morning or hot apple pie at suppertime.

lottarate
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-03-22 6:17 AM (#150716 - in reply to #150698)

Once again great tips. Closet low for the 4 year old great idea, I thought I'd let her (my 4yr old) have an upper closet, but makes more sense to keep it lower compared to her grubby body getting up in bed area a few times a day.I love the crock-pot idea!All the replies are exactly what I was looking for, Thanks Again
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2013-03-22 6:30 AM (#150717 - in reply to #150698)

Veteran

It seems like you will constantly be looking for a flashlight.  I just bought one of those small LED flashlights that plug into an outlet.  I leave it in the trailer that is plugged into shore power when parked so it stays charged up.  Also,  my trustworthy local repairman,  Bob Jones,  told me to not run the AC on a 20 amp circuit,  it will shorten the life of your Air Conditioner,  make sure you are plugged into a proper RV 30 amp outlet.  Inspect your sky lights carefully to look for any cracks that will appear after a couple years.  Only buy American made tires.  And for gosh sake,  don't let you husband use it if at all possible !

cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2013-03-22 6:52 AM (#150719 - in reply to #150698)

Elite Veteran

I agree with RR a combo convection/microwave is a must. Also my wife has a set of towels, wash clothes, etc that are a different color from the ones used in the house so that when she does the laundry she knows where they go.
RidnClyde
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2013-03-22 7:41 AM (#150721 - in reply to #150698)

Regular

Don't leave anything in it that will freeze or melt - seems like an obvious "don't do" but this winter I had a "solid wick" airfreshener that froze and leeked blue liquid all over the countertop top.  LOL  Also, I have a key rack inside the door where I hang a small flashlight and hand size wiskbroom/dust pan.  Very handy and used often.

Edited by RidnClyde 2013-03-22 7:44 AM
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2013-03-22 8:28 AM (#150722 - in reply to #150713)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by lottarate on 2013-03-21 11:50 PM

Partially filling tanks makes sense to me, but was surprised how many people travel full.
All these a are very helpful hints!

There's a difference between fresh & waste tanks. I never leave home that my fresh tank isn't full- be prepared. But every one i've seen sits on the floor. Weight- yes, but not on any straps, etc.

Waste tanks should not be treveled full if possible, as they are suspended. I've done it, but it is not suggested.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2013-03-22 8:57 AM (#150725 - in reply to #150698)

Expert

I show my horses so rather than pack for each excursion I simply bought the same stuff I have in the house that i use.All my hair care and bathroom needs,blow dryers,flat irons makeup,lotions,..etc..then there are kitchen appliances-espresso maker,toaster,a few pans,utensils. I have enough crap to pack for the horse i don't need to be hauling my stuff back and forth. As for don't- if you are using it don't leave in the trailer. After a few trips you will notice the stuff you really need and they stuff you don't. That way you aren't wasting space.
lottarate
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-03-22 10:48 AM (#150730 - in reply to #150698)

I'll be looking into the micro / convection combo (after hydraulic jack)
I already have my travel "girlie" bag, I'll arrange it in the bathroom.
Keyring holder is on the list~ for flashlight, dog leash & maybe even keys
Black-out curtains will be added as well !!! My 4yr old likes to sleep in~~~ 'til 6 Maybe that'll help !!
Never thought "wick solid" would freeze = note to self
I will leave all the cleaning supplies in the trailer and
Thanks Everyone ~~ I respect ALL the tips & ideas. Think I'll be using most!!
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-03-22 1:01 PM (#150732 - in reply to #150698)

Veteran

Lots of good replys.

The first few trips especially- make notes on what you forgot or would like to have.   I usually forget when I get home.

I went to the dollar store and got lots of items for the kitchen.  I keep all silverware, paper plates, cups, etc , etc in the trailer at all times.    Towels go right back in after a trip.

A small heater is a must-- like the crock pot.   We have a "road trip" grill that folds pretty flat -- love it.

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-03-22 1:03 PM (#150733 - in reply to #150698)

Veteran

Also-- (wouldn't let me edit above)

You can't have too many feet of fresh water hose and electrical cord.  Some places you have a ways to go for electric or water

lottarate
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-03-22 2:09 PM (#150734 - in reply to #150698)

Awesome replys !!

Dollar store will be getting many $$$ from me today !!

I will get more fresh water hose, the one I have seems very short!

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2013-03-22 5:23 PM (#150736 - in reply to #150698)

Extreme Veteran

Have a spare tire and make sure it's aired up good.  A must have is one of the jacks you can pull your trailer up on to change your tire like a jiffy jack.  I carry a shovel to put under the tire to help me lift the tire up.  A tarp is nice to put down if the ground is muddy. 

I had a flat on a highway with no shoulder and had to change the tire right on the hightway so I was thankful to have safety cones to put on the highway.  I've had problems getting off lug nuts off so an extra heavy duty 4 way wrench or a breaker bar is helpful.  I've put WD40 on the lugs before to help loosen them.  

I had a flat within two miles of getting to my parents and didn't have a cell phone at that time. I had the trailer up and all lugs off but the tire was stuck on the trailer and I couldn't get it off so thankfully the trailer was empty so I unhitched it and left it to get my dad to help.  Be sure to carry something like a wood block so you can set your trailer down if you need to.  I now carry a small sledge hammer so I can beat a tire off if I have to.

I carry a tool box with miscelleanous tools so if I can't fix it, maybe someone else can if I have the right tools.  I also use a tool box to carry an emergency medical supplies for my horses for cuts, colic etc. 

I have to agree to having the black out curtains because it helps to keep your trailer warmer in the cold and cooler in the summer.  It also helps with privacy on changing clothes at night with the lights on : - )

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2013-03-22 7:56 PM (#150737 - in reply to #150698)

Extreme Veteran

A fan that will run off of 12v is nice when camping in an area without electricity and I keep a bigger electric one too. I've seen people using the box ones when they have electric and have it outside blowing on them when they're sitting around during hot days.I put my hay in my third stall and put the bales in hay bags. I have a walk thru and like to use my third stall for storage/mud room. With keeping the hay in bags, I don't track hay back into the trailer and it keeps the area cleaner.When I travel going on vacation, I don't usually fill my water until I get there. I do carry a bucket of water with a lid and put it in my shower so I have water to offer my horse. I carry an extra bale too to have on hand in case of a breakdown where I might end up being gone an extra day.
longearsruletwo
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2013-03-23 9:57 AM (#150747 - in reply to #150698)

Regular

Lots of good tips here.  I think I use most of them myself.  One thing I don't think was mentioned about the toilet paper tho.  We don't flush paper.  I have a small garbage can with a lid and a plastic bag in it to put our paper in.  Gives you a little more room in your black water tank.  If we camp somewhere with bathrooms we try to use them as much as possible too.  We always haul with some fresh water because you never know when the water may go out at the camping area.  That has happened to us a few times.  Hope you have a great time on your first trip.
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-03-24 7:21 AM (#150775 - in reply to #150698)

Veteran

I am kind of an organizer so I purchased three rubbermaid containers for electric, water and sewer. They can stack in the extra stall and keep all your items easily accessible. For the water I have a pressure regulator so I don't blow my water lines and I purchased the inline water filter. I am fussy about the taste of water and some campgrounds have lousy tasting water. This keeps junk out of your water lines in the trailer as well.
Often times LQ don't have enough towel racks so we bought a couple clothes pin hooks that hang over the shower door. You clip your towel into that and hang on the door.
For the kitchen my wife bought some small baskets. You can put your items in them, they don't tip over and roll around and when you need stuff in the back, simply pull out the basket for easy access.
Someone already said it but I will second the motion...don't clean out your house when you go camping. Buy a second set and leave it in the trailer. You will most certainly forget something if you have to keep moving it back and forth.
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2013-03-31 9:34 PM (#151006 - in reply to #150698)

Veteran

I have a small table lamp with the adjustable neck (Walmart $10) I use for reading. I take an electric blanket for early spring and late fall. I have a laundry bag I hang in the horse area for dirty clothes. If it's rainy or windy I go thru the horse area to LQ. You can leave your wet coat and shoes by the pass thru door. I have a small fan that is both AC/DC I use at night for the noise to help sleep and circulate air. And most important, I have a drug bag that has everything from Tylonel PM to Kaopeptate.
memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2013-04-01 9:05 PM (#151038 - in reply to #150698)

Veteran

I keep matches, electric blanket, rugs for indoor and outdoor, extention cord and power strip, sunblock, kleenex, baby wipes, extra garbage bags, deck of cards, flash light, mud boots, and I also carry some lumber in my truck in case it rains and I have trouble backing up under my trailer again. Duct tape and zip ties also stay in there.
CYA Ranch
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2013-04-01 9:29 PM (#151039 - in reply to #150722)

Originally written by horsey1 on 2013-03-22 8:28 AM

Originally written by lottarate on 2013-03-21 11:50 PM Partially filling tanks makes sense to me, but was surprised how many people travel full.All these a are very helpful hints!
There's a difference between fresh & waste tanks. I never leave home that my fresh tank isn't full- be prepared. But every one i've seen sits on the floor. Weight- yes, but not on any straps, etc.Waste tanks should not be treveled full if possible, as they are suspended. I've done it, but it is not suggested.
I agree. The last thing I do before I leave my yard is fill my fresh water tanks. One in the LQ and one on top of the hay rack. My LQ fresh water is above the frame - under the couch. Never seen one not like that. My black and gray tanks get dumped before I hit the road.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)