'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Lots of questions about fixing dressing room, ect.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-18 11:05 AM
2 replies, 2835 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Pmoore
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-18 8:23 AM (#87675)
Subject: Lots of questions about fixing dressing room, ect.

Now that we have solved the trailer door problem we are moving on to the dressing room, this is a 1991 Kiefer built GN trailer that has set up for several years, we are gutting the interior, it was paneling that has gotten wet or humidity has ruined. We are in the process of stripping it down to the wall. Of course it goes without saying that we will reseal everything to make sure to stop any leaks, but my experiance is you haul it down the road at some point it could leak. We are currently looking at a product called FRP to put up that is a reinforced fiberglass that will tolerate some water, for insulation we will use a styrafoam insulation. Has anyone used this product? Our first choice was aluminum sheet but $$$$ are prohibitive on this. Also there is a gap between the floor and the back tack that allows all the stuff (HAHA) in the horse compartment to get into the back tack, What would work to stop this, I know you have to be able to move it because the rear tack is collapsable, but seems like there should be something you can do to make it work. Last question for right now, do you use shavings in the horse compartment, I have heard that will help with corrosion from horse urine, just curious if anyone knows if this works.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-18 8:51 AM (#87680 - in reply to #87675)
Subject: RE: Lots of questions about fixing dressing room, ect.

Expert

I'm not sure about your question. FRP means fiberglass reinforced plastic. It is a term used in the construction of fiberglass products. I assume you are planning to fit your interior with sheets of this material. It is water resistant and moisture will not harm it. It is available in different thickness and will become a durable and  maintenance free surface. It can be painted if desired.

The gap under the rear tack can be handled in couple of ways:

One is to cut and add additional mats to the tack floor area, raising its surface height, to prevent anything on the floor from becoming urine soaked.

A second way is to install a temporary rubber or foam gasket between the bottom of the divider and floor. This could be a garage door molding, foam pipe insulation, various entry door insulations etc. A trip to your home center can provide several alternatives.

Most people trailer with bedding being used most of the time. As you said, it absorbs urine and creates a less slippery environment. Various products are used for bedding, pellets, shavings, straw, sawdust and shredded paper being some of them. Whatever is used should be cleaned out shortly after your return trip. Damp bedding, left in the trailer, will quickly become a cause of increased corrosion.

BOL   Gard

Lena's Mom
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-07-18 11:05 AM (#87687 - in reply to #87675)
Subject: RE: Lots of questions about fixing dressing room, ect.

We used foam pipe insulation along the bottom of our removeable tack and the bottom of my home-made stud wall.  It's very "bendable" and it seals off "most" water/urine.  We also put another mat on top of the werm flooring to help keep our stuff dry.  Hope this helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)