'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Beware Tire Signals

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-26 10:09 PM
2 replies, 2886 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-05-26 8:29 PM (#84688)
Subject: Beware Tire Signals

Veteran

So, I thought it would be a good idea to get those little doo-dads that screw onto your valve stem cap and show you that your tire pressure is okay based on a colored flag system.  I just look to see that all tires are "in the green" and we're good to go.  We were in a hurry the other day, and hooked up and loaded th horses. Lucky enough for me, I looked at the tire signals, and one was in the red.  Sure enough the tire was nearly flat. I filled it back up, and when I went to put the tire signal back on, it didn't stop hissing.  The signal cap was cracked or faulty in some way and drained all the air out of my tire.  Thank God my new tire wasn't defective. These tire signals are made of plastic, and can evidently fail suddenly and let all the air out of your tire.  Do not buy these. It's not worth the convenience.  A good tire pressure guage and normal valve stem caps are much more reliable.  However, I wouldn't have noticed that the tire was low if I didn't see the red in the tire signal.  Valuable lesson learned.  Don't be in a hurry, you won't save any time. 

Amanda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-26 8:47 PM (#84692 - in reply to #84688)
Subject: RE: Beware Tire Signals

Expert

This is a much better system...

http://www.mrtrailer.com/pressurepro.htm

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-26 10:09 PM (#84700 - in reply to #84688)
Subject: RE: Beware Tire Signals

Expert

Checking your tires before each trip is the safest way to lessen the chances of a blowout. The system Paul offers links to, allows constant monitoring. This would be the best system of all.

Many people don't realize, that many tires can loose half of their air pressure, and not look like they are underinflated. This happens more so on radial tires than biased ply tires. You can never assume by a visual inspection or a push on the sidewall, that a tire, is in fact, properly inflated. Purchase a good gauge and use it often.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)