'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Kanopolis State Park in Kansas

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-08 4:06 PM
2 replies, 3180 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-05-25 3:57 PM (#84632)
Subject: Kanopolis State Park in Kansas

Elite Veteran

Anyone been to Kanopolis State Park in Kansas. Since Diesel is so dang high, looking for closer areas to ride at home.

What are the trails like, and the campground? I was reading that only one pen can be used per site. Is it one big pen, or two connected? Really need two. Taking a gelding and a bossy mare.... hence she rules the roost and I don't want the ol'guy to get kicked. So are there sites with 2 pens?

Any info would be very helpful.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-05-25 10:03 PM (#84651 - in reply to #84632)
Subject: RE: Kanopolis State Park in Kansas

Regular

tammy,

i haven't been there yet this year, but have several times before.  the campground is nice, you can see a overhead photo on the park website. the link is below.  All the blue marked sites are elec and water.  the red ones are elec only.  there's a nice shower building and an additional vault toilet, too.  there are several wash racks and sets of pens.  each campsite has a crosstie hitching post.  I'm not sure about the use or number of pens per site.  the trails are varied, some woods, beautiful canyons, some very challenging and all scenic.  the website describes each trail and cautions about deep water crossings on some.  heed the instructions about staying in the middle of the crossings, that's where the bottom is safe. 

Kanopolis is one of my favorite places to ride, come join us  

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/state_parks/locations/kanopolis/kanopolis_gallery/rockin_k_campground_aerial_photo  

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-06-08 4:06 PM (#85398 - in reply to #84632)
Subject: RE: Kanopolis State Park in Kansas

Elite Veteran

We went to Kanapolis last week and had a great time, even though it was only for 1 day. Once again severe storms and tornado threats drove us home. But the terrain was gorgeous, very different than the treed, hilly terrain that we normally ride. We are planning to go back in the fall when the weather cools down. Definately not a place to go in the summer.

I wish the pens were closer to the campsites and not connected. But we were the only ones there, so other horses were not a problem. Except for the stage coach horses. One was running loose during the day. Camp host said it was normal for some of the horses to be running loose. He said the owner can't keep weght on them on just hay and grain diet. hmmmm.... mine are on hay and minimal grain and are very plump. Must be the hay quality and worming program that needs evaluated.

Anyway, had a very nice time and the trails were marked very well and corresponded to the map. Also enjoyed seeing Mushroom rock state park. Found a geo-cashing tin too. Very fun!! And the pan fried chicken at Valley Cafe in Marquette was delicious.

Edited by ponytammy 2008-06-08 4:12 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)