'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Has anyone used or heard reviews of these rust treatment products?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-04 2:14 PM
2 replies, 4703 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sheryl63
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-03-04 1:54 AM (#78588)
Subject: Has anyone used or heard reviews of these rust treatment products?

Okay, I have an older solid trailer that needs some rust prevention work.  I have some leaks to seal, and have a plan for that, but was also considering these products.  I do not want to take on the whole sand down and paint the trailer project since unless you do a fantastic job, the rust tends to bubble through the paint soon, so I was considering using these rust converter industrial type products to solve a few problem areas.

Advantage of this stuff is that it is already uv tolerant and does not need a topcoat.  It isn't a like the other rust converter products so it actually goes on a color very similiar to my grey trailer:  http://www.rustbullet.com/

This stuff is a rust converter (leaves your finished product black) which you can then topcoat with either paint or use their rust preventor which can be tinted or use white:  http://www.rustguy.com/index.html

Anyway, in principle, they  do what I want to do - but I haven't found anybody that has used either product so I am curious if anybody knows anything about either one...  They are not cheap, but are within the budget and are less labor intensive then some other options.

Oh, and I am going to seal my leaky roof seams with externabond which comes in either white, black or gray and is paintable.  I have been doing my research looking at what people in the rv, automotive, marine and old bus restoration.  Some of the products are so expensive, and some require way more prep work then I want to do ... so I am trying to narrow my choices to something realistic for an '89 stock trailer!

Right now I am leaning toward using the gray externabond sealing tape with the gray rust bullet since I have a gray trailer already, minimizing the need for a head to toe paint job.

Anybody done used any of this?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-04 9:29 AM (#78617 - in reply to #78588)
Subject: RE: Has anyone used or heard reviews of these rust treatment products?

Expert

Subject : PAINTING AND RUST TREATMENTS
Posted : 2008-02-26 4:51 PM
Post #78047

There is a continual interest by the owners of steel trailers, on how to prepare rust before a finish is installed. There are paint primers that can be used over rust, but unless they have ingredients to chemically stop the oxidation, the finish may fail.

I just received a catalog form the Eastwood company. http://www.eastwood.com/   1 800 345 1178. They have a full line of automotive tools and supplies for the restoration of automobiles. They are presently having a 25% off sale.

In addition to the urethane paints that they sell at prices lower than my auto parts store, they also sell a full line of rust converters. This is what is needed to stop the rust and prepare the surface for a primer coating.

In the aircraft and marine industry, a converter which is a phosphoric acid product called Ospho is commonly used  http://www.ospho.com/  If you pull up their web site they have instructions for its usage and application. Steel tubing that is treated internally before painting lasts significantly longer.

No I am not a lobbyist for these companies. I have used the products.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions

BOL  Gard

mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-04 2:14 PM (#78635 - in reply to #78588)
Subject: RE: Has anyone used or heard reviews of these rust treatment products?

Regular

sheryl,

Speaking for the Eterabond product. When I was exactly where you are now I was so impressed with the Eterbond product that I became a local distributor for the product. The company will see to you direct but you have to buy a case of 100 square feet. (enough to do the seams on 4 - 4 horse trailers.  I can sell it for contractor case price one roll at the time and still make enough to justify keeping it around for horse showes.

If I can be of any help please drop me a line.

Thanks

Mike in Georgia

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World