'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
120 Wiring Questions ???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-08 8:50 AM
2 replies, 2867 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

independenceday
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-07 5:07 PM (#73952)
Subject: 120 Wiring Questions ???

I wanted to add 120 wiring to my DR conversion, and I'm at that stage of completing the paneling. Can you briefly explain your 120 cord/plug instalation ? Where'd you buy it ?  I already have 12V wiring. Silly question - Horse camping & RV power poles...the same ?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-01-07 5:21 PM (#73954 - in reply to #73952)
Subject: RE: 120 Wiring Questions ???

Expert

If you already have installed the 12 volt side, then you must already have a way of charging your batteries. Most trailers have a convertor installed, the convertor will hold the a/c side(breakers) and the 12 volt side(fuses) plus they have a built-in battery charger. If you are not useing a convertor then you can use a panel box like you see in small a shed/ buildings it will hold two or three breakers/circuits and the power cord will be the supply side. As far as electric at horse camps, some of the newer camps have an RV post with 30 amp plugs and 15 amp plugs. I would use a 30 amp power cord and have an adapter to adapt down to 15 where needed.
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-08 8:50 AM (#73982 - in reply to #73952)
Subject: RE: 120 Wiring Questions ???

Veteran

Independenceday, here is the easiest way to get ac power into your trailer:

First, install one of these thru the side of your trailer:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/outdoor-receptacle-110-volt.htm

This is a male 110v receptacle.  12 ga. ext cord goes to 110v outlet, other end goes into this outlet.  Inside of the trailer, you'll install a 30amp load center that has 2 slots for breakers.  Install a 10amp gfci breaker in each slot.  Wire your outlets off of the load center.

This is the easiest way, not necessarily the best. 

Sure, you can go with a 30 amp rv twistlock plug, but I don't see a need if you are not powering up a ton of appliances in your trailer.  If you find yourself at a campground that has 30a, 3 prong rv plugs, you'll need an adapter.

The set up I outlined will get you enough power to un the basics -tv, lights, small fridge.  No electric heaters, no hairdryers, no coffeepots, no a/c.  Those appliances draw 15amps, and this set up is not designed to handle that.  If you want to allow for more power, then the same basic idea is used, but you'll have to go with a 30a set up.

(I am not implying that this conforms to any code; fed, state or otherwise.  This is a cheap, safe, and easy way to get 20a of power to your trailer.)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)