'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Robber's Cave Trails

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-02-28 11:40 AM
2 replies, 4174 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

brendaclemens
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-02-26 7:05 PM (#130834)
Subject: Robber's Cave Trails

Regular

I'm headed to Robber's Cave in a few weeks and would appreciate some trail input. I received my trail map today from the park, and notice a lot of named "spots" Hidden Falls, Cindy's Corner, Haliburton Trail etc...If anyone has insight to terrain, interesting features, cool things to see...please let me know! Thank you in advance :)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-02-28 11:24 AM (#130882 - in reply to #130834)
Subject: RE: Robber's Cave Trails

Extreme Veteran

The map and trail markings at RC are very good. You cant really get lost. The terrain is very rocky. You will need hoof protection. To me it is easy riding. Not alot of hard climbs like Cedar Lake has. Big John is a series of switchbacks going up and down and probably the hardest thing there. It is not exceptionaly long or steep. I think it takes us about 30 or 40 minutes to climb it. Rim Rock trail just out of camp is to me the most beautiful. I would not ride it on a horse that is acting stupid though as the drop offs are really tight. We love to stop at Lookout Point where Rimrock starts out of camp. Dogwood Trail out of camp is pretty and has some nice little climbs up some interesting rock features. Near the top the trail is a bit sketchy from the ice storm damage so you will need to really look ahead for trail markings for a mile or 2. Some places such as Hidden Falls are just big rock formations. Lost Lake and Twin Ponds are nice areas and the ponds have a picnic area. Cindys Corner is a wooden sign on a tree. LOL The red/white/blue NATRC Competitive Trail route marking ribbons are up so you can follow them easily for a 15 to 25 mile ride loop. We love the Butterfield Trail down around Coon Creek Lake where you cross the dam. There is some erosion at the end of the lake after you cross the dam where you head back into the woods to get on trail but you can easily ride around it along the lake. We were last there on January 1st. All of RC is great riding. The camp is nice and most spots have 2 corrals now. Take strong leaf bags for the manure, which must be bagged and set by the camp road. Also I would take a wheelbarrow. Makes cleaning the pens lots easier. You MUST visit the cave and take a camera. Great climbing and gorgeous views. There are trails starting in behind camp and across Hwy 2. Should still be plenty of water if you want to make lots of miles.
brendaclemens
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-02-28 11:40 AM (#130885 - in reply to #130882)
Subject: RE: Robber's Cave Trails

Regular

Thank you! I am so excited :)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'