'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse Heaven

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-01-20 3:10 PM
2 replies, 3925 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-01-19 2:21 PM (#129043)
Subject: Horse Heaven

Extreme Veteran

Okay we usually go to Cedar Lake. We have a long weekend coming up and are contemplating going riding if the weather is doable. We have ridden to Emerald Vista once, in 6 inches of snow Christmas a year ago. It was breathtakenly beautiful (you though I was gonna say cold huh) but I would like to ride it again without the snow. Was also looking at Horse Heaven and maybe A to Z. So what are the trails really like in these places? We have ridden at Honobia on WIld Horse Mountain a good bit so I assume A to Z is similar trails. Anyone know, and are they marked? Have heard alot about Horse Heaven's campground being so plush, but am more concerned about the quality of the trails. How many miles are there really, and what level of riding? I am wanting some good climbing to help condition for upcoming CTR's in March. Will be going to flat rides to start with but climbing sure builds cardio and wind.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-01-20 9:31 AM (#129058 - in reply to #129043)
Subject: RE: Horse Heaven

Elite Veteran

Horse Heaven's camp IS great! The trails are so-so.. they are about 17 miles as the crow flys from Cedar Lake... if you pack in, you can ride over there. We have not been to A-Z but people we know seem to rave more about the food than the trails.(?). I also think J-D trailcamp is suppose to have great trails.... If you are "legging up", I would really recommend traveling another 3-4 hrs. and going to Falling Waters Horsecamp near Pelsor, Arkansas. What breed do you ride? Arabs?
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-01-20 3:10 PM (#129079 - in reply to #129043)
Subject: RE: Horse Heaven

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for replying. We will probably go to Cedar Lake because I know what I can get out of the trails. We cant really drive any farther (we live in NE Texas) as its just a long weekend so time is a factor. I just would really like to know about the trails at Horse Heaven. I get the impression they are really easy trails. Guess this summer we can trailer over and check them out when we have more time. I do competitive trail and I ride Paint Horses. Last couple of years I rode a couple we raised that are running bred, so tall, leggy and lean. This season I am riding a mare I was given as a gift. She is a Paint but solid palomino. She is cow bred, about 15 hands, but very lightly muscled, which is good. I did an open ride on her in early December to see where we were at and need some more milage rides and cardio work out. Emerald Vista has some long slow grades to climb and then the last hard 3 miles. I think its about an 18 mile round trip. Maybe 20 depending on how you come and go. I have done a good bit of conditioning on her but not been able to get in long milage rides. She got a tad tired at the December competition, which I expected, but she finished fine. About 26 miles each day I think the map said. Its hard to compete one horse and ride another also for conditioning. Both the horses we raised have achieved National Championships and since I did start and train this mare we want to try for one with her.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)