'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
WERM in LQ section?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-20 10:50 AM
2 replies, 2855 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2009-01-19 9:28 PM (#97814)
Subject: WERM in LQ section?

Veteran

I have a 2002 Silver Star and want to put living quarters in. If I were to put tanks in underneath the trailer (for grey/black water), I am told the existing floor would need to be replaced since Silver Star in its infinite lack of wisdom did not put in flooring appropriate for LQ installation in its extended-tackroom trailers. I am considering using portable tanks for black/grey water... or mounting them inside the trailer under the bathroom floor. I've seen many tanks ripped out from under trailers or damaged at endurance rides and want to avoid the issue. At any rate, trailer leaks lots of cold air through the floor area, and I'm thinking it would make sense to put WERM flooring in the LQ section on the floor, gooseneck "wall", and area beneath where the mattress goes in the gooseneck section. Is there any reason I should NOT do this? Is the material toxic, or will outgassing on a hot day be toxic or cause an odor problem? What other material might I consider? My interest is in insulating the cold metal floor of the trailer from the floor I walk on, and more importantly, in preventing any leaks from below from messing up my LQ flooring or rotting the metal horse trailer floor. Also, can anyone suggest a place in the middle part of South Carolina who installs hay racks on top of trailers? Any trailer part places where I can look at different styles of hay racks and order? Thanks!! Mike
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-20 1:22 AM (#97820 - in reply to #97814)
Subject: RE: WERM in LQ section?

Expert

Try these folks... They were Silver Star dealers.

Blooming R Ranch
2173 J L Moak Road
Elgin, SC 29045
803-438-5999

I would skip the WERM and try to insulate it with foam board, strip it, then plywood and carpet and or, vinyl flooring. Maybe this will give you some idea... http://todd.redwrench.com/index.htm

Edited by retento 2009-01-20 1:29 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-20 10:50 AM (#97844 - in reply to #97814)
Subject: RE: WERM in LQ section?

Expert

I don't know of anyone who has installed a werm flooring in a living space, or why there would be a need for it. Your metal floor, if it is intact, should prevent any extraneous water from entering the living space. If it does leak, it should be repaired before any other improvements are made.

Werm has little insulating "R" qualities, other than stopping any air movement. Spray can foam, and rigid or flexible insulation would all offer much greater results at a less expensive price.

Sleepers, an other name for floor joists, can be added to the floor with the spaces between, filled with various types of insulation, with foam board being the most predominate. A vapor barrier and plywood can then be securely screwed to the sleepers, and your choice of floor covering later added to create a comfortable and attractive floor. The same can be effected on the bulkhead wall.

Truck campers often use holding tanks that are installed above the floor line. Some toilets sit directly onto the tanks, with the drain line exiting towards the back, above the floor line. I've owned a couple of campers with this installation, and often wondered why they aren't considered by a DIYer for an aftermarket trailer LQ installation.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)