'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
"extendable" tire gauge?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-18 9:33 AM
2 replies, 2547 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-07-18 9:11 AM (#87681)
Subject: "extendable" tire gauge?

Veteran

After reading all the posts on tire age, wear and blow-outs, I'm paranoid now. I keep asking my husband to check the air pressure. "Looks good to me", he says. UGH! I got out the tire gauge but can't get to the valve stems because of the (I think they are called) simulators. Is there a way to check the air pressure without removing these every time? I've heard of people losing these so I'd rather not be messing with them all the time. Also, where on the tire do I find the year it was manufactured? I need specific directions, please.

Edited by Candy girl 2008-07-18 9:12 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-18 9:30 AM (#87682 - in reply to #87681)
Subject: RE: "extendable" tire gauge?

Expert

Some Sims don't have a large enough hole around the valve stem to get the head of a pressure gauge to fit well enough to get a reading. Some of the dial gauges with a short hose will fit into these spaces. I purchased valve stem extensions at walmart that extend past the Sims to allow easy access for the gauge. They are inexpensive and replace the caps.

The downside is that some people have experienced flat tires, caused by horses pawing and damaging the extensions, causing them to leak. Also if they were buried in mud, it's possible to off seat the valve and end up with a flat tire. I have never had either of these problems.

In previous threads, there was a lengthy discussion about older tires. If you click on these threads,

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=9566

you will find instructions on how to determine the age of your tire. There is also a link to the video of the original newscast, which also described how to determine the age of manufacture of the tires.

Gard

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-18 9:33 AM (#87684 - in reply to #87681)
Subject: RE: "extendable" tire gauge?

Get a tire gauge like this...

Here are the threads on how to read the code that gives you the build date of the tire:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=9444&forumid=2&MessageID=84103

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=9566

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)