'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
spring check up time

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-10 10:57 AM
2 replies, 2707 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-03-10 9:08 AM (#79158)
Subject: spring check up time

Veteran

My trailer is about a year old. It's probably got 1000 miles or less on it. We've had a long tough winter here in Maine (as has most of the country). They have used a lot of salt and sand and also that spray on stuff, whatever it is, that melts the snow and ice on the roads here, and the trailer has been hauled a few times through some of that nasty stuff. As soon as the weather warms a bit, I will get out there with my pressure washer and give it a good going over. I plan to have my mechanic give the trailer a once-over later this month or early April. Can someone provide me with a simple checklist of things that should be done for a spring tune up?

There are no trailer dealerships within 150 miles of here, so I have to bring it to a regular car mechanic. Would I be better off to haul it to an RV place (2.5 hours away) or can a regular mechanic do as good a job?

It is a steel (galvaneal) Titan Avalanche II - if that makes any difference.

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-10 10:49 AM (#79165 - in reply to #79158)
Subject: RE: spring check up time

Expert

Cleaning the trailer of the road salts is most important and will contribute greatly to its longevity. As soon as the temperatures rise above freezing, the corrosive effects will increase.

A qualified mechanic closer than your RV dealership should be able to repack your wheel bearings. He will have to obtain grease seals from an auto parts store. While he is repacking the bearings, he can inspect the brakes.

Inspect your running lights and trailer plug. Some dielectric grease on the pins/blades will promote a good contact and allow the two halves to slip together easier. Lubricate all the door and window hinges, latches, locks and window slides.

Inspect the tires, including the spare for dry rot and thread depth and air pressure. Wash and wax and enjoy.

If you have a LQ, there are several things to do with the water system and appliances.  Your owner's manual can help with the specifics.

BOL  Gard

Edited by gard 2008-03-10 10:53 AM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-03-10 10:57 AM (#79167 - in reply to #79158)
Subject: RE: spring check up time

Expert

You shouldn't need a lot of service at 1000 miles of use.

Make sure the tires have the proper air pressure, make sure the batteries are full of water ( Distilled water)

Grease any zerk fittings.

Greese or oil any hinges, jack stand, gooseneck coupler, any moving parts.

A good wash job to remove any of the salt/snow melt and a wax job and you should be good to go.

Give the floor a good going over. Make sure the planks are in good condition.

I'm pretty sure the manual for my dexter axles said that packing the bearings is only required every 8,000-10,000 miles Of course if you only drive 1000 miles a year, I wouldn't wait 8 years to repack them. I'm sure somebody with more experience will comment on the bearings.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)