'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer wiring, 7 to 6 pin adapers, etc.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-07 7:38 AM
2 replies, 2821 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-06 10:48 AM (#44143)
Subject: Trailer wiring, 7 to 6 pin adapers, etc.

Expert

I know, in the past I've said to just chop off any 6 pin connectors from old trailers and re-wire to current 7 pin truck standards, but - there's always a big BUTT !!!

I moved an old trailer for someone recently, it had a 6 pin connector, my truck has 7 pin, I have a 7 to 6 pin adapter, so thought it would be an easy hook up and go. Nothing worked, no lights, brakes, turn signals. Since it was a short rural hop I chanced it (bad me, I know).

Anyway, we're still trying to get this old trailer figured out and the trailer wiring document on this site's home page has a note saying that RVs often use the center pin for electric brakes whereas horse trailers often use that pin for +12V.

The eureka moment was when I noticed that the adapter plug has "E brake center pin" molded into it - come to think of it I probably bought that adapter at an RV store. There are PROBABLY 7 to 6 pin adapters that have "E brake pin S" molded into them. Point is the thing comes apart and you can switch the wires around, it isn't a one piece molded_together_forever thing.

Just an FYI
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-07-06 11:54 AM (#44148 - in reply to #44143)
Subject: RE: Trailer wiring, 7 to 6 pin adapers, etc.

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the heads up Reg. My truck has the 7 pin wired to it and the trailer has the 6 pin. I'm wondering if I might have any problems if I have to tow someone else's trailer. I had to replace the female socket in the truck and my 6 to 7 adapter this past weekend due to me being a dumbdumb and not taking out the umbilical before pulling away from the trailer. While replacing the the female connection I noticed that the wires were not hooked up to the colors listed on the connector. Glad I noticed that cause if I wouldn't have put everything back the way it was I'd of been puling my hair out trying to figure that out.

greywynd
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-07-07 7:38 AM (#44188 - in reply to #44143)
Subject: RE: Trailer wiring, 7 to 6 pin adapers, etc.

I've made several adaptors that are all homemade using connectors. When dealing with older trailers, I've found that there are basically two or three things to remember. 1. A test light is your best friend. 2. Don't assume anything about what 'the other guy' did. 3. Bad ground connections cost a lot of people a lot of hair.

I remember being asked by friends several years ago to move a trailer for them after their pickup had died, it had surge brakes, so only had a 4 pin flat connector. When I went to join them I had to scratch my head, at some point the connectors had been changed, and the wrong ends used on truck/trailer. This meant the truck end had the 3 live wires for feeding the lights exposed whenever the trailer was disconnected!! Fortunately I had a spare connector with me in the truck (I often do) and was able to wire up something to work. A roll of electrical tape is a necessity to have in the glove box too, it's my version of duct tape.

Mark
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)