'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2001 Kiefer Built Needs Rear Doors

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-21 12:58 PM
2 replies, 5443 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Amy G
Reg. May 2011
Posted 2011-05-19 3:21 PM (#134231)
Subject: 2001 Kiefer Built Needs Rear Doors

New User

We have a a 2001 Kiefer Built that needs new rear doors.  I am aware of the Todco door issues and that Kiefer is no longer in business.  Does anyone have suggestions on where to start as far as getting new doors or having them repaired???  Any suggestions would be appreciated!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-05-20 8:49 AM (#134243 - in reply to #134231)
Subject: RE: 2001 Kiefer Built Needs Rear Doors

Elite Veteran

Amy,
Kiefer is still around. If you look at www.kiefermfg.com you'll find contact info for ordering new doors.
RTSmith
templarsheart
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-05-21 12:58 PM (#134267 - in reply to #134231)
Subject: RE: 2001 Kiefer Built Needs Rear Doors

New User

Hi, I completely rebuilt the back end of a Kiefer that had the same issue. I hired a fabricator, and used 4" Angle stock to build what essentially is a picture frame to slide into the existing frame of the trailer. This solved the problem of the cracked out frame on the corner and made the trailer stable again. From there we built steel framed doors, that were primed and painted to match the aluminum. They were mounted on semi trailer weld on hinges with grease fittings. These doors were sealed and then skinned in white aluminum, with high density foam in between, and on the inside of the doors I put mat up the walls. They came out very professional looking and it solves the issue of the long trailer (6 horse + DR) causing too much body twist for the back end of the frame. I pretty much had to rebuild most of the rest of the trailer as well, but this is how I handled the door. It does require a professional fabricator to make it look right, as you have to re-cut the holes for all the lights and switches with a plasma cutter, which is not your average backyard piece of equipment. I also put the right kind of latches on the trailer doors, the kind that lock into the frame with the cams top and bottom. I am sure you can order new doors, but you have to look at the frame under all that. Some of the longer trailers take a lot of twisting stress and this can cause weld failures at the corners of the back. If you don't address this your doors will not last long.I hope this helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)