'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Virginia Creeper Trail

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-31 8:37 PM
2 replies, 3131 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

colormemax
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-29 2:13 PM (#124173)
Subject: Virginia Creeper Trail

New User

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT Ride the Creeper.  We rode from Damascus to past Taylors Valley yesterday because I have always wanted to ride the Creeper.  It WAS the worst ride I have ever been on.  There were nothing but Bicycles, and the worst part is they were all kids and vacation bikers.  Not professionals.  Our horses do pretty good in most situations, but this made them a nervous wreck.  Bikes ran over us, on top of us, into us, and 1 out of 10 bikers actually announced they were going to pass us.  One woman with her dog and some bike-buggy combo actually ran us off the trail to get to the bridge first.  The sad thing was that we were going to stop and let them go first.  There were PACKS of bikers, PACKS!  And 90% of them were so rude.  Ride the Creeper as your own risk!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-08-30 12:34 PM (#124206 - in reply to #124173)
Subject: RE: Virginia Creeper Trail

Veteran

Bummer, that's why we usually avoid flat trails, rarely do I encounter bikers in the mountains except the hard core mountain bikers and they have always been courteous. 

Edited by Rich M. 2010-08-30 12:37 PM
Summerset93
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-31 8:37 PM (#124265 - in reply to #124173)
Subject: RE: Virginia Creeper Trail

There are a couple of tricks to riding the Creeper Trail. #1 and most important -- make sure your horse can handle being passed by bikes both approaching from the front and from the rear. #2 -- never ride on the weekends/holidays. #3 -- ride early, early, early in the morning traveling down-hill first, that way when you are ready to turn around, you are "facing" most of the bikes as they descend (even my "bicycle-proof" horse is happier when the bike approaches from the front). #4 -- have some sort of traction aid on your horse's shoes (or go barefoot). Many of the wooden bridges were washed out by a major flood a couple of years ago and the new flooring on those bridges can be slick, even when dry.

The section of the Creeper Trail that runs between Abingdon, VA and Damascus, VA is a little less traveled although not quite as scenic as that "upper" section from Damascus, VA to Taylor's Valley. If I just HAVE to ride the Creeper Trail on a weekend day, then I would probably head for that "lower" section (Abingdon to Damascus).

I am fortunate enough to get to ride the trail a couple of times a year, but would never consider going on a weekend, especially in the summer. I'll take a couple days off work and go in the middle of the week to have the trail mostly to myself. I have met some bike riders that were less than courteous on the trail, but mostly I find that if you ask politely for their cooperation during an encounter, bike riders will be happy to oblige. Many bikers just don't know what to do when they meet a horse. And again, it is my #1 responsibility to have a horse that doesn't get upset when crowded by a group of bicycles.

There are a couple of trails that run parallel to parts of the Creeper Trail which offer a little more secluded riding (the Iron Mountain Trail is one). Those trails are worth checking out on the "busy" weekend days then stay and ride the Creeper on a Monday or Tuesday.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)