'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll Alder or Oak wood in LQ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-17 4:06 PM
2 replies, 2323 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Trails02
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2010-01-17 1:16 PM (#115384)
Subject: Alder or Oak wood in LQ?

Regular

We are trying to decide what kind of wood to use in our new LQ. We know oak is a hard wood and holds up well. Conversions are coming out with alder wood which is supposed to be 50% lighter which would make the trailer lighter, and would be a plus for us. The looks of each is not a problem with us. Has anyone had any experience with the alder wood and how it has held up? We would appreciate opinions from anyone who has used it. Thanks!  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-01-17 3:23 PM (#115394 - in reply to #115384)
Subject: RE: Alder or Oak wood in LQ?

I had knotty alder in my last LQ trailer and it was nice and easy to care for. I didn't even keep the trailer 2 years, so I can't attest to the longivity. I have, on the other hand, kept a LQ done in solid oak for a number of years, sold it to a riding buddy that still owns it today, and it looks brand new! I think the alder wood would hold up just as nice. My current LQ has both red oak and hickory that is holding up very well.
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-01-17 4:06 PM (#115395 - in reply to #115384)
Subject: RE: Alder or Oak wood in LQ?

Extreme Veteran

I have had more than I should of LQ,, go for the alder you will not be sorry.  Durable and lighter in weight than most other woods.  Especially oak, hickory, etc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)