'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Electric trailer brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-10 4:23 PM
2 replies, 2602 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-10-10 2:21 PM (#111707)
Subject: Electric trailer brakes

Veteran

on my trailer I have one wheel that is locking up when I apply my brakes.  Does anyone have an idea what would cause this and how to fix it, and can you adjust electric brakes.  And what I should look for.  All the other wheels are fine they are not locking up.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-10-10 3:33 PM (#111710 - in reply to #111707)
Subject: RE: Electric trailer brakes

Expert

You may have a grease/oil seal leaking onto the drum causing the wheel to grab... How many miles since they were adjusted?

You Dexter and Alko axles have manual drum brake adjusters. Some trailer axles have automatic adjusters but I have yet to see any. Use a brake adjusting spoon or a screw driver and turn the adjuster, "down and out", (which rotates the side of the adjusted next to the backing plate, opposite side from the tire, upward) until the wheel locks down, back the adjuster off until you can spin the wheel by hand and it will rotate 1 and 1/2 turns, (usually 6-10 clicks). Adjust the front axle then the rear.... Axles must be off the ground to properly adjust the brakes... Road test the trailer before you load up and hit the road, check for any excessive "heat' on any of the wheels. If you've got a wheel "getting hot" back the adjuster of a couple clicks. I can adjust all four of my wheels, by myself in less than 15 minutes and I'm in a wheelchair.... It's SO EASY, a ----man can do it!!

Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-10-10 4:23 PM (#111711 - in reply to #111710)
Subject: RE: Electric trailer brakes

Veteran

it a new trailer they just had them to tight so I backed them off some and they seem to be working fine thanks

Edited by Horsemen 2009-10-10 4:24 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)