'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
hauling backwards

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-28 2:03 PM
2 replies, 3339 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sadie
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-01-28 9:32 AM (#98390)
Subject: hauling backwards

New User

if i put my mare in the slant load and haul her backwards what are the chances of her pushing the jail bars/screen/windows out with her butt? the regular butt windows are a bit higher than the head windows, just wondering out loud.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-28 12:33 PM (#98404 - in reply to #98390)
Subject: RE: hauling backwards

Expert

Don't know about that, but... I bought a 2yo filly from NCSU on their annual sealed bid auction this week. Picked her up Tuesday afternoon with the 14' BP stock trailer. She had never been in a trailer let alone been hauled. I figured she was going to be a nut... Opened the big back door, about 15 seconds later she stepped up and in, took the halter off, fired up the truck and eased around the barn, waiting for her to EXPLODE... She never did anything more that hollar a couple times at the mares in the front pasture. I stopped and started several times so she could get her legs underneath her before we left the barn. We drove about 60 miles back home, some of it through downtown Raleigh,N.C., part of this was on the interstate, 30 miles of it was two lane... She never hardly moved a muscle, eating hay, looking about, watching traffic, not bothered by the tractor trailers passing at 80+ mph, standing in the center of the trailer looking out the rear.... She never turned and looked toward the front. I could see her the whole time through the windows in the front of the trailer. It seems that they do like to ride backwards... Maybe the folks in the U.K. are really on to something!!! Our new AQHA Registered Appendix filly is settling in nicely!! First QH we've ever owned.

So far as your windows... You'll have to load her up and take a look. I know all of our horses are short enough that I don't think it would be a problem... Tallest may be 15.2. I know some of the Sundowner drop down windows are so large that it looks like a horse could jump or crawl through them.

Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2009-01-28 2:03 PM (#98407 - in reply to #98390)
Subject: RE: hauling backwards

Regular

Most horses if given a choice will ride backwards in a trailer.  It is doubtful that she will pop out your window if it is built properly and closed properly.  I would think it would be easier to do with their head than their butt!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)