'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
another couple of WDH questions....which brand?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-29 5:37 PM
2 replies, 2717 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-29 9:04 AM (#90669)
Subject: another couple of WDH questions....which brand?

Elite Veteran

Hi guys..

I'm upgrading to another, heavier trailer and I thought I'd do it right (max tow weight 6000Lbs, trailer @ 3500, horse #1 @ 800- 900 lbs, pony # 2 @ 600 - 700 lbs... at least until she sells).. I've been seeing alot lately about WDH's and actually looked at the Equal-i-zer video. this morning. ...which all looked sensible to my untrained eye.. But I read something either here or on another forum about not wanting a WDH that was a bolt kind because it pushed something too far down..I think.. That a saw-toothed ratcheting kind was more desirable.  Does any of this make sense to any of ya'll? If so please either enlighten me or tell that I'm hallucinating..  As I stated, i saw the equal-i-zer video and it stated that the hitch helped distribute the weight between the whole car, instead of the rear axle.. How exactly does this do this if it is connected to the car at the same place a conventional ball hitch is?.. and i noticed the sway arms clipped in place on the mounted brackets with pins.. Is that strong enough?

What brand do ya'll reccommend and why?

THANKS! ....Leslie

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-08-29 11:45 AM (#90680 - in reply to #90669)
Subject: RE: another couple of WDH questions....which brand?

Expert

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2008-08-29 9:04 AM

Hi guys..

I'm upgrading to another, heavier trailer and I thought I'd do it right (max tow weight 6000Lbs, trailer @ 3500, horse #1 @ 800- 900 lbs, pony # 2 @ 600 - 700 lbs... at least until she sells).. I've been seeing alot lately about WDH's and actually looked at the Equal-i-zer video. this morning. ...which all looked sensible to my untrained eye.. But I read something either here or on another forum about not wanting a WDH that was a bolt kind because it pushed something too far down..I think.. That a saw-toothed ratcheting kind was more desirable.  Does any of this make sense to any of ya'll? If so please either enlighten me or tell that I'm hallucinating..  As I stated, i saw the equal-i-zer video and it stated that the hitch helped distribute the weight between the whole car, instead of the rear axle.. How exactly does this do this if it is connected to the car at the same place a conventional ball hitch is?.. and i noticed the sway arms clipped in place on the mounted brackets with pins.. Is that strong enough?

What brand do ya'll reccommend and why?

THANKS! ....Leslie

Yes I read the post about the toothed adjustment being better, I would not pay too much attention to that, there was also some other incorrect info in that post. I have used the Equal-i-zer and was very pleased with it.  I prefered the smaller holes in a the A frame that the L brackets vs. chain brackets required, and I didnt like messing with the chains to begin with.  While you shouldnt need sway control it will stiffen the connection between truck and trailer giving a more solid feel.  Yes all the pins and clips are strong enough.

These sites should answer your questions about weight distribution,

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_weightdistribution.aspx

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14265335.cfm

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-08-29 5:37 PM (#90699 - in reply to #90680)
Subject: RE: another couple of WDH questions....which brand?

Elite Veteran

Thanks chad...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World