'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer prices - wonder about the outlook?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-08 9:25 PM
28 replies, 9291 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sheryl63
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-06-04 9:21 AM (#85180)
Subject: trailer prices - wonder about the outlook?

So, with gas prices at record highs, and likely to stay pretty high, I wonder what will happen with trailer prices.  Seems to me that they just keep going up and up and up.  I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying a new one, and I keep wondering if people will start selling and if there will be deals to be found.  So far, used ones are expensive and really used... new ones are just expensive.  :)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HTWOK
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-06-04 9:39 AM (#85181 - in reply to #85180)
Subject: RE: trailer prices - wonder about the outlook?

Regular

Edited by HTWOK 2008-06-04 9:41 AM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-06-04 9:40 AM (#85182 - in reply to #85180)

Expert

We came upon a wonderful new Twister Memorial Day weekend while on a trip with our horses in MO.I called the guy to ask him about it,we were able to see it on his lot inside and out,and it was a beauty.He had a really good price on it for such a nice trailer,too,he is a small dealer with hardly any overhead.But the issue for us is: we still owe so much on our current LQ,and he can't take a trade in.And in order to buy the Twister,we'd have to sell ours first,so,we're kind of stuck.I think that is where some used trailer owners are,they need to sell but maybe they owe what they are asking,and have to have it to pay it off.Well,aluminum trailers are expensive,and steel isn't cheap,either.I haven't been able to find a used aluminum 4H slant GN for under $9500 yet,and I've been looking.That's about the going rate on one of those,I believe.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-06-04 9:42 AM
HTWOK
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-06-04 9:47 AM (#85183 - in reply to #85180)

Regular

You are absolutly right about people wanting to trade in used trailers but owing alot on them and not being able to sell them.  Right now it seems that our customers are either wanting to downgrade to smaller trailers and sell their big trailer or they are just going huge so that they can haul other people or horses to save on fuel, and so that they can stay overnight as well instead of drivimg 2-3 hours back home and do it again the next day.   
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-06-04 9:58 AM (#85184 - in reply to #85180)

Expert

It is true that the cost of materials on trailers being built is going to have their cost more elevated than before, I believe.  I imagine the used truck and trailer market may get some good buys going out there, but when a seller is upside down on their financing on their trailer, it is hard for them to get out from under, or even trade up.

We bought the exact trailer we wanted and have truck/trailer paid for, and plan to keep them as is.  The fuel will cost more, and we may travel less or less often, in order to economize, but just feel fortunate to have the rig.  They were both purchased used...again to save $ when possible.

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-04 10:05 AM (#85185 - in reply to #85180)

Without a doubt, you will have to see them go up. Most everything that you see in a trailer...aluminum, steel, rubber is costing to more to make because it takes fuel to make it. Just like the parts that they buy will go up...axles, tires, windows, jacks, couplers, etc. Everyone one of those parts have at least one of those first three things, if not two. And then you have the delivery charges on top of those parts, plus the delivery charge on the trailer after it is completed. It looks like it will be a never ending circle.

At scrap prices right now...I am sure seperating piles of steel and aluminum at the house getting ready to make a haul. With fuel mprices the way they are, I might get enough for a tank of fuel....

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-04 12:32 PM (#85194 - in reply to #85180)

Expert

I sure wouldn't want to be in an 120/180 month loan on a new trailer right now, in the next 2 or 3 years there will be some real bargains setting on peoples lots. When money gets tight the first thing to go is peoples toys/unnessasary items, and most LQ trailers will fit it that catagory.

In the past few years banks were loaning anything to anybody........... so now the reality will start setting in on these items.

Edited by HWBar 2008-06-04 12:35 PM
Sheryl63
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-06-04 12:47 PM (#85196 - in reply to #85180)

Okay, so probably people like me just looking for a good quality 2 horse with a tack aren't gonna be finding the bargains.... more like the big LQ luxury models that people might want out from under.

You know, for the first time I really thought about a Brenderup.  I guess I am a little biased against them because they seem so insubstantial, but frankly, if gas keeps going up, a trailer that can be pulled by a smaller vehicle might be worth the other trade offs.

Anyway, still haven't bought, but really do need to do something soon.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-04 2:12 PM (#85201 - in reply to #85196)

Expert

Originally written by Sheryl63 on 2008-06-04 12:47 PM

Okay, so probably people like me just looking for a good quality 2 horse with a tack aren't gonna be finding the bargains....

I would say the trailer you are looking for is in higher demand now than ever............

I picture some lug pulling into a trailer dealer with a 20ft. shortwall and a payment book that looks like a phone book, trying to trade it in on a 2 horse with a dressing room...........

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-06-04 2:23 PM (#85203 - in reply to #85194)

Expert

I don't have to get rid of mine,I just found one that I like a little better,but mine is sure good enough to keep living with for the time being. Trying to learn a little contentment with what I have been blessed with at this stage of life is a good thing,I think.

There are a few good bargains on the internet for now,that is true.The problem is that most people are needing to finance something in the range of 30-40K and over unless they have won the lottery or are independently wealthy,and banks typically won't lend for very long on something of this nature,you have to go with companies geared toward financing this type of purchase.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-06-04 2:35 PM
dallye
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-06-05 11:07 PM (#85288 - in reply to #85180)

My family owns two dealerships, and we currently have a lot of inventory!  With that said we would take most any reasonable offer on the higher end trailers.  Sales are very few and far between on the high end trailers, our entry level trailers are doing well.  Flooring costs are eating a lot of dealers profit up!  We have been doing business since 1976, and will weather this storm, sadly I would not be surprised to see a lot little companies go under.  Used trailers are really holding their value, and many of them if there fairly new, are not much under a new price, great for those selling them.  As Americans we need to contiue buying locally, and support those businesses around us. 
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-06 4:02 AM (#85291 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Hi Guys Just thought I would add a little light into your world. I live in South Africa and have just purchased a new Cherokee Tomahawk 4 H slant with 4'8" dressing room from Tobruk Trailers in TN. The reason I didnt purchase one in my own country is firstly that we do not have such luxuries as nice trailers like you have available in the US and secondly I couldnt get a manufacturer to custom build me one at a price that I could afford. And bear in mind that the US currency is much stronger than ours. You guys need to realize how fortunate you are that you can just pop down to your local dealer and get exactly what you want... and your prices are very reasonable. This new trailer I have just bought cost $23000 to which I had to add 10% to get relative value, then 15% duty and then 14% VAT and on top of that it cost $7775 to ship it here - and our currency is R7.80 to the dollar. With all this it is still chaeper for me as I am getting what I want, and a top quality product at that. In SA a BMW M3 costs the same as an average 3Bed home, with all the mod cons...your vehicles are very affordable compared to the rest of the world - so smile and be happy ... you guys have it all - and should be proud of that. Greetings from sunny South Africa
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-06-06 9:32 AM (#85299 - in reply to #85180)

Expert

I have recieved price increases on steel every month for the last 4 months. The steel I buy has increased almost 50% in cost in the last 120 days.  The steel I use in building a new home is different than the steel used in a trailer, But it's still steel. I don't buy aluminum, but I expect it has also jumped in cost also. That kind of material price increase, HAS to effect the cost of new trailers being built after the price jump.  I would fully expect the price of new trailers to increase this year.

If new trailers jump in price, then the value of a used trailer should stay a little higher.

If the demand drops because folks stop buying large trailers because of the fuel cost to tow them. Then you will see prices drop reflecting the supply vs demand. The number of used trailers for sale will have a much greater effect on the pricing than it does on new trailer sales. If the price of raw materials increases 15% on a new trailer, the manufacture and the dealers have no choice but to pass that increase along.  Owners of used trailers can sell for less. They bought the trailer at older prices, and when they consider depreciation, they can and often due discount the price in order to get rid of something they can no longer afford.

My trailer is a toy for me. I pay cash for toys. No loans.  Like many, I am feeling the effects of the current recession. It would be nice to sell my $40,000 trailer to have cash to pay my other expenses. That money would pay my household expenses for many months. I've run a local ad and the only call I got offered me 1/2 of what the trailer should be worth. I'm just not hard up enough to sell it at that kind of loss, because I know what every I buy to replace it with when things get better will cost me more.

I expect the trailer industry will go through an evolution similar to what I am seeing the housing industry go through.  The past decade people kept buying bigger and more extravagant homes. Now I see people cutting their plans back to smaller sizes and cutting out some of the options. Instead of a 3000sf rambler, they are back looking at 2000sf ramblers. They are more energy consious about their designs.  They are asking questions like, Do I really need 14' ceilings that make the room hard to heat in the winter? Would a 2000 sf home with 9' ceiling be more energy efficient? People are going to ask the same questions of their trailers. Can I get by with a 8' short wall instead of a 12' short wall LQ. Can I live with a 3 horse instead of a 4 horse trailer. Will a 7'3" wide tow more efficiently than a 8' wide?

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-06-06 10:17 AM (#85302 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

We were fortunate enough to have a very good experience with a trailer dealer in Texas when we bought our lq last year, got a great deal and felt very satified, but this spring we have been looking for a trailer for my son. The dealers just don't want to deal. One dealer that had a trailer that I was very interested in, that I made an offer and they just shot me back a rude remark and said I said so and so and that is it. They did not even try to work with me on the price or even try to get my business. With the price of fuel I could not afford to go to every trailer place and try to work on a deal. We ended up buying one from on individual that did come down on the price. With the way the economy is don't tell me that every one is in line trying to buy a trailer.
rionito
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-06 9:47 PM (#85329 - in reply to #85180)

New User

In my opinion, in a matter of time horse trailers, and other similar items, will hold very little value, except maybe for scrap. There are tough times ahead, especially for anything that requires a good deal of energy to propel it.
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-06 9:52 PM (#85330 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

We have been in the trailer business since 1972, and are now experiencing an economy that is changing the way we operate.  We have every LQ trailer on our lot priced at our original cost (can't even come close to replacing them at that cost) and in some cases a bit less.  It is difficult to trade when you have no profit or even a loss on the new trailer.  We are giving serious consideration to not inventorying LQ trailers, just ordering to our customer's specifications.  More than half of our LQ sales are custom ordered anyhow. 

Two horse bumper pulls both new and used are still selling well, but the non-LQ goosenecks are slow.  Our sales in utility, flatbed, equipment, cargo trailers are normal or better, but it seems that the recreational horse trailer market is the most affected by this whatever-you-call-it economy.

Tried to sell a good horse lately?  The $250,000 show horses still seem to find new homes, but  you can hardly give away a weekend show horse or good trail horse.  Hopefully this will slow down some of the rampant reproduction trends when you can't sell a baby for the amount of the stud fee!!

End of tirade.  Thanks for listening.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-07 1:09 AM (#85341 - in reply to #85330)

Expert

Originally written by Kay on 2008-06-06 10:52 PM

We have been in the trailer business since 1972, and are now experiencing an economy that is changing the way we operate.  We have every LQ trailer on our lot priced at our original cost (can't even come close to replacing them at that cost) and in some cases a bit less.  It is difficult to trade when you have no profit or even a loss on the new trailer.  We are giving serious consideration to not inventorying LQ trailers, just ordering to our customer's specifications.  More than half of our LQ sales are custom ordered anyhow. 

You are about to do what John Deere AG Dealers have been doing for several years now...everything on the lot is sold before it shows up...then they throw in a few of the smaller models just to have something for the walkin trade to see and touch and hopefully buy... 

Originally written by Kay on 2008-06-06 10:52 PM
Tried to sell a good horse lately?  The $250,000 show horses still seem to find new homes, but  you can hardly give away a weekend show horse or good trail horse.  Hopefully this will slow down some of the rampant reproduction trends when you can't sell a baby for the amount of the stud fee!!

You are right on the button on the horse market currently...but if the economy tightens up anymore, even the high end horses will start to feel the pinch...

st_pinetree
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-06-07 9:03 AM (#85353 - in reply to #85291)

Originally written by Barfly on 2008-06-06 3:02 AM

Hi Guys Just thought I would add a little light into your world. I live in South Africa and have just purchased a new Cherokee Tomahawk 4 H slant with 4'8" dressing room from Tobruk Trailers in TN. The reason I didnt purchase one in my own country is firstly that we do not have such luxuries as nice trailers like you have available in the US and secondly I couldnt get a manufacturer to custom build me one at a price that I could afford. And bear in mind that the US currency is much stronger than ours. You guys need to realize how fortunate you are that you can just pop down to your local dealer and get exactly what you want... and your prices are very reasonable. This new trailer I have just bought cost $23000 to which I had to add 10% to get relative value, then 15% duty and then 14% VAT and on top of that it cost $7775 to ship it here - and our currency is R7.80 to the dollar. With all this it is still chaeper for me as I am getting what I want, and a top quality product at that. In SA a BMW M3 costs the same as an average 3Bed home, with all the mod cons...your vehicles are very affordable compared to the rest of the world - so smile and be happy ... you guys have it all - and should be proud of that. Greetings from sunny South Africa

Hear Hear!!!!  Thank you for shedding some much needed perspective.  I think as Americans we definately need to understand how good we do have things, even in shakey economic times.  We like to complain about the price of fuel etc and blame everyone.  Well, what are you paying for a gallon of #2 diesel fuel right not is SA?  It's a new world economy, we will get through these tough times soon enough and there will be more prosperity around the corner.  This really isn't anything new.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-06-07 9:42 AM (#85354 - in reply to #85353)

Expert

I hear ya! There is a lot of doom and gloom going around,and it is understandable.And I'm still eating and have a roof over my head and  jobs so it's easy for me to view it as half full instead of half empty.This is what we farmers have gone through for years,only,most of the time,it has been on the downside for us,for years.Only twice now in my lifetime,(that I can remember) have prices for farm commodities been this high,the other time was during the Nixon administration.But with them sticking it to us on fuel and fertilizer,puts us right back even again,so,no big deal,you are no better off,but maybe not any worse off,and we're still hanging in there,so that is something to be grateful for.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread,but,things all go in cycles.Maybe if Obama gets in the White House,it will be brighter,ya think??? (Ooops,probably opened up a can of worms,there!)

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-07 1:50 PM (#85357 - in reply to #85180)

Expert

GLOOM and DOOM!! We didn't drive 300 miles to a show this weekend because we.......Just didn't want to!! We were loading the trailer with hay, feed, water, etc. for 4 horses for four days, looked over at the thermometer and it said 105. Went up to the house 105, out to the dog pen.....105! Ain't going to haul 6 hours in this 100+ heat for some ribbons. Our horse usually do pretty good so the competition will be glad we stayed away! And the best part is we're about $1200.00 to the good.... That's what we saved by staying home. It's 102 now!!

I have not bought any fertilizer, It hasn't rained in several weeks, so another year with no pasture and having to scrounge around for some hay to get by this winter, I guess I'll spend our Asheville, saved horse show money on hay to feed this summer!!

http://www.entrancesbysandy.com/id229.htm

Edited by retento 2008-06-07 3:29 PM
Cool Dually
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-07 2:20 PM (#85358 - in reply to #85302)

Originally written by classygirl98 on 2008-06-06 10:17 AM

We were fortunate enough to have a very good experience with a trailer dealer in Texas when we bought our lq last year, got a great deal and felt very satified, but this spring we have been looking for a trailer for my son. The dealers just don't want to deal. One dealer that had a trailer that I was very interested in, that I made an offer and they just shot me back a rude remark and said I said so and so and that is it. They did not even try to work with me on the price or even try to get my business. With the price of fuel I could not afford to go to every trailer place and try to work on a deal. We ended up buying one from on individual that did come down on the price. With the way the economy is don't tell me that every one is in line trying to buy a trailer.

OK, I'm new here, and my family owns an RV dealership (no horse trailers). Why does everyone expect the dealers to make 0 profit? It's the same way here. People come in and try to talk you down to a nothing price and when you finally get sick of it, you are accused of being rude. We are in this business for a profit too. We have land payments, salaries, utilities, floorplan interest, taxes etc., and everyone wants the deal of the century. Our cost of doing business is higher than it's ever been, and we make the best deals we can. Do you really think we want a serious buyer to walk out the door? No way. If we let you walk, then your offer was unreasonable and unacceptable. We also see a lot of people in upside down trades. I have a nice 4 Star LQ trailer that I've had for several years. I know where the economy is going and I plan on keeping mine for a lot longer. If I can't afford what I want, I won't insult a dealer or seller by trying to steal one.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-06-07 4:14 PM (#85359 - in reply to #85357)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2008-06-07 1:50 PM

GLOOM and DOOM!! We didn't drive 300 miles to a show this weekend because we.......Just didn't want to!! We were loading the trailer with hay, feed, water, etc. for 4 horses for four days, looked over at the thermometer and it said 105. Went up to the house 105, out to the dog pen.....105! Ain't going to haul 6 hours in this 100+ heat for some ribbons. Our horse usually do pretty good so the competition will be glad we stayed away! And the best part is we're about $1200.00 to the good.... That's what we saved by staying home. It's 102 now!!

I have not bought any fertilizer, It hasn't rained in several weeks, so another year with no pasture and having to scrounge around for some hay to get by this winter, I guess I'll spend our Asheville, saved horse show money on hay to feed this summer!!

http://www.entrancesbysandy.com/id229.htm

Why is it so hot all of a sudden this early into summertime? Esp.in NC?
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-06-07 10:53 PM (#85370 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Cool Dually, I own and operate a business so I know all about costs of operating and profits. I did not really expect the dealer to accept my offer, but if they were truly interested in making a sale they could have acted like it and tried to work with me instead of being so rude and acting like they did not care if they sold the trailer or not. Last I looked the trailer was still for sale and has been for a very long time. To me, it would make more sense to come down on it a little and make the sale versus sitting on it for so long. I did not say that I thought a dealer should not make money. Don't blame me for wanting to buy what I want at what I can afford. When I make a major purchase I have a budget and usually go over it sometimes, but not if I have to.
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-08 2:18 AM (#85376 - in reply to #85353)

Veteran

Hello there

Diesel costs about $6 a gall and low sulphure diesel is about $7,80 a gall. not really sure if I converted it properly. but in Rands it is R11,90/L and the Rand Dollar is at 1R/$7.80.

Our diesel price has basically doubled in a year. But as I said previously, life goes on.

My motto in life is "1 life - LIVE IT". I have been very fortunate in life to have been able to do a lot. I have raced moto-x, Dirt track stock cars, regional saloon's, SASCAR (which is the SA version of NASCAR) and my last racing was Transam V8's.

I now play Polocrosse and have recently been selected to the Springbok squad (our National side). We were due to play a test match in Zimbabwe on the 27th of June. It has however been posponed bue to the unrest there and the re-election. Now those guys have it hard...a loaf of bread cost a couple of million zim $. One guy said that if you walked down the street with a wheele barrow full of money - and thief would turf the money and run away with the wheele barow - it worth much more...

I must say with all I have done I have come close to bankrupsy a few times, but I do not have any regrets....we earthlings have to learn to enjoy what we have and make the best of all situations... I understand that you guys are facing a difficult time, but keep your heads high - America is a great Country and you will survive....Just be posative....

Greetings from Sunny South Africa

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-06-08 11:36 AM (#85383 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Retento- right now I'd trade your heat for my WET and unseasonably cool (almost cold) summer. After one of the longest and coldest winters in history, we have been lucky to get a week of sunshine. I have not even got my haybine out of the shed yet and normally am about done haying my first crop. Got a call from my brother-in-law @ 5:30 this morning that we needed to get horses and sheep out of his pasture. We got 6 1/2" of rain over night and the creek was flooded. Sheep were standing in 1 1/2 foot deep water. Luckily all five horses were on high ground where we could get to them. Was a real adventure!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)