'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cowboy Tired of Bad News

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-15 5:23 PM
27 replies, 8294 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-11-13 9:35 AM (#71053)
Subject: Cowboy Tired of Bad News

Elite Veteran

FOXNews.com

Cowboy Crosses Country on Horseback to Reveal Unseen American Culture

Tuesday , November 13, 2007

AP

FREDONIA, Kan. — 

When rancher Bill Inman decided to show there's more to America than what's seen on the nightly news, he hopped on his horse Blackie and started riding.

And riding, and riding.

Weary of the daily drumbeat over war, crime, poverty and assorted social ills, he and his wife are burning through their life savings to tell the stories of hardworking, honest everyday people in rural America. Inman soaks it all in atop Blackie, a 16-year thoroughbred-quarter horse mix who's averaging 20-25 miles a day along backroads from Oregon to North Carolina.

"Unfortunately, the image they are portraying is there's corruption in every politician and there's criminals running everywhere," he said. "I guess guys that rope like me, we wouldn't need to rope steers. You could just sit out there and rope a criminal because they're coming by every 10 minutes."

Inman, 48, started June 2 from his hometown of Lebanon, Ore. Halfway through his cross-country trek dubbed Uncovering America by Horseback, he's rolled up 1,700 miles. His wife, Brenda, also 48, drives ahead in a pickup and horse trailer filled with water and provisions for Blackie, three dogs and themselves.

"The scenery in America is changing and I'm really proud we're taking a snapshot at slow motion of this time period because 20 years from now it will be different," he said.

The couple estimates the journey will cost them $45,000. They want to make a documentary film and write a book, and a filmmaker and Web site operator are tagging along.

"If we waited until we could afford to do it, we could never do it. It was do it now or never do it," Brenda said. "We gave everything up in our lives to do this. We used all our savings and everything else."

Said Bill: "It's probably the most stupid thing I've done financially, but I truly believe in it."

Hundreds of interesting people have greeted Inman along the way. There's the Dodge City man who collects bridle bits, spurs and barbed wire. A Wyoming deputy sheriff who drove 25 miles through a rain storm to bring dinner to the Inmans where they were camped. A Wyoming woman who gave Bill a pair of stirrups she bought as a Christmas present for her grandson before he was killed in car wreck.

He arrived in this rural town with jeans tucked into boots with spurs, a sweat-stained Stetson and a weathered face, leaving no doubt that ranching has been part of him all his life. As with most stops, they rely on a combination of media coverage and word-of-mouth to let people know.

Raised on a Texas ranch, he's worked cattle, herded wild horses and managed a ranch on an Indian reservation in Nevada before moving to Oregon last year and selling horses. He's also an auctioneer and has done horse shoeing for nearly 30 years.

Among those meeting Inman on the outskirts of town was Kurly Hebb, former rodeo cowboy and Kansas Cowboy Hall of Fame member.

"He's got my respect. I can tell from talking to him he's going to make it. Just be a cowboy, that's all you got to do," said Hebb, now an area rancher.

Joyce Cross met Inman when he came to her restaurant in Fall River, about 10 miles to the west, looking for a place to sleep for the night. She found a place for them and allowed her 4-year-old son, Kadyn Covey, to ride with Inman the next day.

"The diversity he has unveiled is a lot of forgotten heritage in this country. It's a great eye opener for anybody who runs into him," she said.

Mention diversity and Inman talks about the retired rancher in Idaho who he considers "a true image of America with his honesty and hospitality," or people he's met working multiple jobs to make ends meet, or another Idaho rancher e-mailing the progress of the journey to his son in Iraq.

"There is nothing like riding across the nation to learn about the people of this country," he said.

Inman has Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and most of Kansas behind him. Ahead are Missouri, Tennessee and North Carolina, where he hopes to spend Christmas his wife's family in Hendersonville.

They often rely on strangers since they don't have national sponsors to underwrite them. Sometimes it's a meal, a place to sleep, some cash or donated feed for Blackie, who daily eats about 20 pounds of high-fat feed.

"Do I wish a national firm would grab hold and help out? You bet," he said. "I don't want it too easy, I just want it a little easier."

Inman ticked off a list of what's been bad about the trip — temperatures ranging from 108 degrees to freezing, pesky insects, water shortages, crossing mountains and desert and riding in a lightning storm. People aren't on the list.

"I haven't run into any bad people," he said.

Inman bought Blackie in 2001. The two have clearly bonded.

"I know his capabilities and I know his flaws and I think he can say the same thing for me," he said. "Now if you think we're constantly kissing buddies, I don't think so. Do I brag about him a lot? Yeah."

--------------------------------------------

My wife just spent the last 30 minutes on cell phone talking to this guy.  Very interesting.  He needs a hand.  If anyone out there is close to his trail, feel free to let us know.  We'll try to keep you updated.  Right now he's near Marionville, MO outside of Springfield, heading east.

Here's a map.

Map

DaveM
Horse Trailer World

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
element
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-11-13 10:02 AM (#71061 - in reply to #71053)
Subject: RE: Cowboy Tired of Bad News

Veteran

This is Awesome. What a true cowboy!!! Talk about going back to our roots!!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-13 10:23 AM (#71063 - in reply to #71053)

Expert

Our country is full of wonderful, hard working, generous people. Decent folk who pay their taxes, follow the rules and obey the laws. We strive everyday to raise our kids and take care of not only our familes but neighbors. More importantly, we take care of those who don't even know by giving to charities and worthy causes.

Its the people of this country that make it great- not the government, not politicans, not the regualtions and not the laws. Its not doom and gloom out there.I am glad this guy is doing what is doing to make that known. let him know if he traels to northeast michigan, we have a empty stall for the horse, a place for him to rest and the coffee is always on.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-11-13 10:35 AM (#71064 - in reply to #71053)

Elite Veteran

We live just south and west of Ava,Missouri... He and his family (2 and 4 legged would be welcome to camp out and rest up at our farm.. get ahold of me at 417-894-7020 (cell) and we can get ya watered/hayed/fed and a real bed in our bunkhouse in the barn (with a bath & kitchen)... I am proud that someone is livin our dreams and has the guts to actually do it! I hope the ride is smooth and safe.
krgs
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 10:45 AM (#71065 - in reply to #71053)

New User

Is there any way to track their progress on-line? There was mention of a website person tagging along. It would be nice to be able to send something to one of their stops like supplies.
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 11:11 AM (#71066 - in reply to #71053)

Veteran

Very cool.  My neighbor rode from Green Bay, WI to Billings, MT and back in 1969.  Quite the story.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-11-13 11:25 AM (#71068 - in reply to #71053)

Expert

He is bound to come pretty close to me in KY, in the next few weeks, I'd love to give them a warm meal. How do we keep track of them?
trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-11-13 11:53 AM (#71070 - in reply to #71053)

Regular

Thanks for posting! Great story! I admire this couple!

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-11-13 1:29 PM (#71083 - in reply to #71053)

Extreme Veteran

Great thread. I wish he was coming closer to me.

Dave,

Keep us posted on where he is if you can and how he is doing. I would love to follow along with this thread.

Edited by Spooler 2007-11-13 1:34 PM
olabola!
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 1:54 PM (#71085 - in reply to #71083)

Bill Inman has a website,UncoveringAmerica.com, on which his progress can be tracked and you can even email him.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2007-11-13 3:36 PM (#71099 - in reply to #71085)

Dave, I admire what this family is doing. Having done a little cross country "raiding" my self, as a civil war reenactor, I know it can be quite expensive. I don't expect this man has a lot of support in this area, so I'd like to start a small fund to help him. I'll put up $500, and I challenge all the dealers on here to do what ever they can to help out too. Would you be so kind as to advise the man, and to accept the money on his behalf? I am sure you can arrange getting it to his bank, etc., so that its available to him. If I were not so busy, I'd join him. My thanks to him and you for sharing it with us. Please advise if this suits you & I'll send a check. DON SMITH, OWNER, DHMCO.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 3:43 PM (#71100 - in reply to #71053)

Expert

Great idea. What about private individuals? There are probably many people who would like to help out. Please advise.

Gard

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-11-13 4:56 PM (#71106 - in reply to #71053)

We are about 80 miles north east of Memphis;  would be glad to provide overnite accomodations for people and critters.
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-11-13 5:04 PM (#71108 - in reply to #71100)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Don and all of you on Horse Trailer World.  I agree.  This is uplifting to say the least.  We also have this posted on Barrel Horse World and the next two nights they have places to stay already. 

One of the volunteers came from this site.  We have people calling in to get them through Kentucky I think.  I'll keep you all posted.  The local Purina Rep. Ernie Rodina, is donating feed.  Ernie has two sons in the Marine Corp.  This is really great to see.

Gail, (my wife), is in touch with Bill and his wife by cell phone.  I would suggest calling Gail on her phone.  913-221-3454.

Here's their website.  http://www.uncoveringamerica.com/the_journey  I'm still trying to figure out their exact route. 

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2007-11-13 5:29 PM (#71110 - in reply to #71108)

Thanks Dave! I'll call your wife & arrange for the donation. I hope others will too. I am sure glad to know they have sons in the military. I support that completely. This is a salt of the earth family. Thanks, DON
Toranoda
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 5:56 PM (#71112 - in reply to #71053)

Please let the rest of us readers know how we can donate too.  Us back yard riders may not be able to give as much as the big guys but we sure would like to help too.  This man is living my dream! 

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2007-11-13 6:06 PM (#71113 - in reply to #71112)

TORANODA, I just spoke with Mr Inman via cell phone. Had a very nice conversation. He is real. I'm sending mine thru his website at www.uncoveringamerica.com. They accept credit cards etc. I am sure they can use whatever anyone can give. I know they will appreciate it. Thanks, DON SMITH
olabola!
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 6:10 PM (#71114 - in reply to #71113)

If you go to the home page of his website, you can make a donation and see a map of his progress. http://www.UncoveringAmerica.com
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-11-13 8:23 PM (#71124 - in reply to #71053)

Extreme Veteran

Yeap, he can take donations through Paypal. Look at the top left on his website.
Dallas the Film Guy
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-14 10:26 AM (#71167 - in reply to #71053)

New User

Wow... you guys are all so kind and generous. What a lift in spirit this gives.I've been traveling with Bill, Blackie, Brenda and Jonny since day 1. I am filming the adventure and all the good folks we meet along the way for a possible documentary or travel series. We've all jumped into this journey together, without any budget or savings. We continue to be amazed by the giving spirit of the people in this country.Thanks for all your support. Hopefully I can make something worth watching out of all this footage.- Dallas p., The Film Guy (that's what Bill calls me)

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2007-11-14 10:43 AM (#71169 - in reply to #71167)

Dallas, thank you for filming! I'll look forward to seeing it on RFD!! Thanks, DON SMITH
Dallas the Film Guy
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-14 10:51 AM (#71170 - in reply to #71167)

New User

by the way, I took a short break to come to NYC to sell off some belongs and raise money for my production. will catch back up with the crew in a week.I just spoke with Bill's wife Brenda on the finances.. they have about $20 left right now, so your generous donations will be a real boon!
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-11-14 11:12 AM (#71171 - in reply to #71170)

Elite Veteran

Dallas, if you need to put your documentory online and need bandwidth, we do that too. 

www.equinemediaworld.com

I think my wife ( Gail from www.barrelhorseworld.com ) is in contact with Brenda and helping to line you guys up with places to stay the rest of your trip.

Good luck!  I will love to see your story line when you get back.

dinero01
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-11-14 12:56 PM (#71179 - in reply to #71053)

He came thru my home town - Fredonia -

Our local newspaper wrote that article.

KCW
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-15 9:39 AM (#71238 - in reply to #71053)

Veteran

More on Bill Inmam:
http://news.google.com/news?q=%22bill+inman%22&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=news_result&resnum=4&ct=title

KCW
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)