'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
4 horse straight load on a 1996 Taurus sedan !!!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-10 9:41 AM
27 replies, 5897 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

6t8stang
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-04 7:10 PM (#44012)
Subject: 4 horse straight load on a 1996 Taurus sedan !!!

HAHA !!!

I'm a newbie to this forum and I figured I'd join with a laugh. Seriously, I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. I am buying my first trailer and am looking at a 1983 Trail-et 4 horse straight load BP. It does have some surface rust, but it's not in bad shape at all. The floor boards look like they are in really good shape also. Of course the price is really nice too.

I was wondering if anyone has any information on this trailer or other trailers like it. I plan on doing some body work and making it look nice again, although it is in very usable condition as it is. What I'm concerned about is being able to find parts for it. Are the parts pretty standard or will I have to use modern parts and try to retro-fit everything? (hardware, brakes, etc.)

I only have two horses, but I have two younger children who are showing interest, so it probably won't be long before we have all stalls in the trailer full. For now, we will use the extra space for gear or maybe the two pygmy goats that follow the horses everywhere.

If anyone has any info or can point me in a direction, I would be very grateful. TIA
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-07-04 8:42 PM (#44016 - in reply to #44012)
Subject: RE: 4 horse straight load on a 1996 Taurus sedan !!!

Veteran

Welcome to the forum  

I hate to rain on your parade, but that's an awfull lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton truck.  Before you buy that trailer I suggest that you look at the GCVWR for your truck.  I'll bet that the trailer loaded with two horses, feed & tack and your truck loaded with fuel, passengers etc. is at or over your GCVWR.

A 4 horse bumper pull trailer should really be pulled with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Edited by RoperChick 2006-07-04 8:45 PM
6t8stang
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-04 11:03 PM (#44022 - in reply to #44012)

I was concerned about that too, so I did a little searching online and found out that my truck's max towing capacity is 8350 lbs. The 2500 only has a few hundred more pounds of capacity unless you go to the diesel. I have also pulled a friend's 4 horse steel stock/combo with the horses and tack etc. with no problems. I did not have a brake controller at the time so I was extra cautious of following and braking distances and the truck pulled through with minimal effort.

I'm not saying that I'm not worried about the weight issue but I do feel comfortable that the truck can handle it. I have a feeling that by the time the kids get their own horses we will more than likely have a bigger truck also. I will not hesitate to park the trailer if it proves to be too much. I'm not one to sacrifice safety when comes to my family or my animals.

We do not take the horses to shows nor do we do any long distance travel with them. The trailer's primary use is for weekend rides usually within 50 miles of home. No major highway travel, in fact where we live there are more dirt roads than tar roads.
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-04 11:37 PM (#44025 - in reply to #44022)

Regular

Originally written by 6t8stang on 2006-07-04 12:03 AM
I was concerned about that too, so I did a little searching online and found out that my truck's max towing capacity is 8350 lbs. The 2500 only has a few hundred more pounds of capacity unless you go to the diesel.

Really? Because it's my understanding (and I understand little about trucks;)) that it's not the engine itself that only determines towing capability - it's suspension, wheel base, etc.

As well, my husband's 2500 is rated to pull over 13,000lbs. Big improvement over 8350.

How much does the trailer weigh, empty? Because it's not really about the pulling...it's about the stopping....:)

And I wouldn't tow a horse trailer, even in a pinch, in an emergency, ever, ever ever - without a brake controller. YOU may know what you are doing, but the other yahoos on the road won't always.

6t8stang
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-05 12:05 AM (#44026 - in reply to #44012)

With a rating of 13,000 pounds you must have a diesel. I stated that the 2500 is only a few hundred more unless you go to the diesel. I'm not an expert either and I agree that it is not just the engine that determines towing capacity. Along with suspension and wheelbase, you must also factor in gearing, strength of drivetrain (tranny, driveshaft, rear end), and I'm sure their are several others. Like I said I'm not arguing the fact that their is a weight rating to consider.

I'm saying that I feel comfortable that the truck can handle it. I'm not saying that I am not going to be concerned about the weight issue nor am I saying that it's not possible that the trailer may be too much for the truck. If it is, then I will have more time to work on the restoration of the trailer while I look at upgrading trucks.

Can someone please share some information about my original questions about whether the parts are standard or will I have to modify newer parts and maybe a few leads for things like brakes and hardware (hinges, handles, etc). Thank you.
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-05 8:16 AM (#44038 - in reply to #44012)

Veteran

Howdy,

What color is the truck? That will make a difference in towing capabilities also!!  Does it have a bedliner or just a bed mat?  What about tinted windows, a slider?  WE NEED DETAILS!!!  LOL  Just kiddin ya, I knew ya had a sense of humor from your post.  Here's a pretty good web site that may have some of the stuff that you will need for your trailer, I've used them, they're worth a look,  http://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/  I'm not sure what kind of latches and so forth they used on that kind of trailer so I can't say weather or not you'll be able to get more like them or not, BUT, seems like you can find about anything with enough good brains workin' on a situation, and there are alot of smart folks with good info. on this forum.  Good luck and talk to ya later.......

P.S.  DO NOT leave the goats to home, they will hate ya for it and you know how goats can hold a grudge!!  Besides there's always room on the trail for a good goat or two! (although some others horses may NOT see it that way) lol

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-05 8:16 AM (#44039 - in reply to #44012)

Elite Veteran

I'm pretty sure Trail-et is still in business, so google them and see if you can find a website to find out about replacement parts.  Trail-et makes aluminum skin trailers, so it might be surface rust now, but it will get worse and they are very heavy trailers.  

I'm betting that trailer weighs around 4,000 lbs with nothing in it, add 2 horses, tack, hay, people, etc and you're at 6,500 lbs. 

6t8stang
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-05 9:23 AM (#44043 - in reply to #44012)

Broken Bit,

It is white, no bedliner or mat but I do plan getting a spray in soon, and it does have tinted windows but no slider. LOL

I appreciate the link, I didn't see that one when I was searching. I did visit redneck trailer supply through another thread in this forum and it looks like they have quite few things, but you can never have too many part places to choose from.

You don't know how true that is about our goats. Even when we are riding down the road ditches, the goats are in tow. They love getting out and following behind. It's weird how they get really attached to a horse and never seem to leave their side.

Dunoir,

Trail-et is still in business but their website leaves much to be desired. They barely have adequate info on their current trailers let alone any archived info.

I am sure the trailer is heavy which is why I'm looking for a supplier for brakes and stuff. I want to ensure that I have the stopping ability for those emergency situations.

Thanks for all of your info.

Edited by 6t8stang 2006-07-05 9:29 AM
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-05 12:07 PM (#44058 - in reply to #44012)

Regular

Something else to consider. Brakes are heavy duty on 3/4 and 1 ton. 1/2 ton brakes ..........................iffy pulling a big load.

Happy hunting. Stay safe

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-05 12:29 PM (#44063 - in reply to #44058)

Expert

Originally written by nanny on 2006-07-05 1:07 PM

Something else to consider. Brakes are heavy duty on 3/4 and 1 ton. 1/2 ton brakes ..........................iffy pulling a big load.

Happy hunting. Stay safe

NONSENSE, 1/2 ton brakes will stop a 1/2 ton size load, aka ~8000#, just like 3/4 and 1 ton brakes will stop a 3/4 and 1 ton size load, aka ~15000#. yes 1/2 ton brakes are smaller, one of the many reasons 1/2 tons are rated to pull SMALLER loads, smaller being a relative term of course.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-07-05 1:10 PM (#44066 - in reply to #44012)

Extreme Veteran

Yep....and the trailer axles  have brakes rated for the load they are rated at to haul.

nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-05 1:13 PM (#44067 - in reply to #44012)

Regular

Exactly my point.  Half ton will stop half ton load. I'm speaking of 4-horse trailer,loaded, 4 horses, tack, etc, with a 1/2 ton, might be too much for brakes.

We had a half ton and now have a 3/4 diesel, huge difference in brakes, suspension, etc.' First thing hubby noticed was stopping power of heavy duty brakes.

Just want driver and load to be safe. 2 horses , no problem.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-05 1:24 PM (#44069 - in reply to #44067)

Expert

Originally written by nanny on 2006-07-05 2:13 PM

Exactly my point.  Half ton will stop half ton load. I'm speaking of 4-horse trailer,loaded, 4 horses, tack, etc, with a 1/2 ton, might be too much for brakes.

We had a half ton and now have a 3/4 diesel, huge difference in brakes, suspension, etc.' First thing hubby noticed was stopping power of heavy duty brakes.

well that was worded much better. dont know what 1/2 ton you were coming from, but my new to me gmc diesel brakes are not even in the same catagory as the trailblazer it replaced. i did some research to back up my "seat of the pants meter", the trailblazer stopped from 60mph on average 20 feet shorter than the 3/4 ton gmc.....go figure. so pulling the same trailer it looks like the smaller truck had the edge, that ally tranny will sure save some brake pads in the long run though. i guess it all depends on the actual vehicle.
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-07-05 1:26 PM (#44070 - in reply to #44067)

Veteran

Originally written by nanny on 2006-07-05 1:13 PM

Nanny you are so right about the brakes, I've hauled with 1/2, 3/4 and one ton trucks.  The 1/2 ton isn't even in the same league as a 3/4 ton in stability and braking power.  Unless it was an emergency and I had no other choice, I wouldn't haul anything bigger than a two horse bumper pull with a 1/2 ton truck.  The other issue, besides the brakes, is the suspension.  Because the hitch point is on the back of the truck, bumper pull trailers have a lot of leverage on the truck, if the horses get moving around in the trailer, it isn't hard for the trailer to get the truck moving around.  If the suspension isn't heavy enough to handle it, it can cause a wreck.  The size of the engine is always the last thing I consider when hauling, wheelbase, suspension and brakes are of greater concern to me.

Edited by RoperChick 2006-07-05 1:31 PM
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-05 1:47 PM (#44075 - in reply to #44012)

Regular

Roper Chick

Couldn't agree more. We've been hauling horses for 30 years, and there is a HUGE difference between 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks. We driven them all. The feel behind the wheel tells the story. As soon as we moved up to hauling 3 and four horses, we moved up to a 3/4 ton diesel (chevy, duramax with allison.  Pulled many a 2horse with 1/2 ton. Safety is paramount.

Ride on

6t8stang
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-05 5:48 PM (#44088 - in reply to #44012)

Ok, before you start saying 1/2 ton this 3/4 ton that, you guys are talking about two totally different trucks. If you take a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.9L and a Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.9L there really isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. The body, frame, engine, tranny, tires, etc are the same. The only difference are the springs in the suspension and maybe some decals. So you may add a few hundred pounds to the max capacity.

Now, most of you are trying to compare a 1500 with a 5.9L to a 2500 HD with a Cummins or similar and all of the components are different. So how can you compare them? You can't. Obviously, the diesel and all of it's HD parts are going to net you a higher rating than the 1500 gasser.

Now that we have all of that out of the way. Can we get back to the original focus of this thread? Can anybody provide links or leads to parts suppliers for older Trail-et trailers. I don't understand how asking about parts for a trailer started a flame war between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks.

Please don't take the tone of this email the wrong way. I'm not upset, in fact I'm kind of amused at where this thread has ended up. I would just like to try to keep the focus of it on it's original purpose. Thank you.
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-05 8:11 PM (#44098 - in reply to #44012)

Veteran

6t8stang,

I did a bit of investigating, after several phone calls, some computer work, and a LOT of asking around I've come up with the answer to your original question!  It's YES you will be O.K. with the four horse on your '96 Taurus sedan. Isn't that great! you don't need to buy a 3/4 ton truck!!!!  You will, however, need a weight distributing hitch and anti-sway bar, and for heavens sake get a Prodigy brake controller for safe (and smooth) stoping.  I figured you should be able to afford one now that you don't have to upgrade tow vehicles.  The great part is that there should (if properly loaded) be room for Ralphie and Isabelle (the goats) in the backseat of the car.   You are beyond set, buddy!  With the money that you saved at the website that I so kindly directed you to, you should be able to get an x-tra case of adult refreshments!

Say, that reminds me... if you don't feel quite comfortable with the rear of the Taurus setting a couple of inches lower than the front you may want to look into a set of air bags to help with that good ole' Ford suspension.  Just an idea.

Well, that's about all for now, good luck with everything and obey the speed limits, a outfit like that will sure be apt to get away from ya before ya know it... feels like 55 but the speedo. shows 82  hmmmmmm           talk to ya later..........

cookiesforme
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-07-05 9:20 PM (#44103 - in reply to #44012)

I once went on a trail ride with my friends three dogs (uninvited of course) and after about 20 minutes, heard a noise, looked back, and OH MY LORD their GOAT was following me too.  What to do ??   Contemplated turning back, naw, didn't want too.  Hmmm.  Decided if goat wanted to follow then have at it!  Just was hoping that I didn't meet anyone on the trail, so embarrassing trying to explain the three dogs and a goat....  That dang goat followed me and my horse for 2 hours on that trail, followed me right back to the barn, the dogs?  Took off and went home halfway through.....  lol, good times!

6t8stang
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-05 9:21 PM (#44104 - in reply to #44012)

ROFLMAO !!!

Broken Bit, you are a riot. If you weren't 12 hours away, I'd have to drop off a few adult refreshments. If we ever get through that neck of the woods, I'll make sure to have a few extra in the cooler. After all your hard work you deserve a few. LOL

I'll make sure to bring George, Winnie, and Harley (dad, mom, and baby goats) too. After what George did in my daughter's kindergarten class during show and tell, I'll leave them in the trailer. Have a good one and thanks for the link.

Cookiesforme,

It's funny how attached they get sometimes. When we bring our horses into the barn at night, George goes right into Tanner's stall with her. Harley was just born this spring so she and Winnie are content in their own little pen for now. But if we ever take Tanner somwhere and leave George in the barn, he runs around screaming until we let him out or bring her back in.

Edited by 6t8stang 2006-07-05 9:41 PM
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-07-06 8:08 AM (#44132 - in reply to #44012)

Veteran

6t8stang,

Check your mailbox, you've got a P.M.

greywynd
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-07-07 8:02 AM (#44189 - in reply to #44012)

As far as your brake parts are concerned, any decent/local trailer (sometimes the truck shops too) should be able to get parts for you. As long as Trail-et used a 'standard' axle when it was built, shouldn't be a problem at all.

Another thing to watch with a 4 horse straight load. When hauling less than 4 horses, you may have to do some fiddling with the critters to get the loading right. (We have a 4 horse straight and a F250SD gas) Two horses at the rear doesn't give enough extra tongue weight, two at the front gives too much. We generally stagger them for two, one front left, the other rear right. If there's a third horse going, then two in the rear, one goes front left still. Of course you may find something slightly different works better in your situation.

Back to the GCWR. While you may 'feel comfortable the truck can handle it', the law (especially if there's ever an accident) will go by weights, not comfort level.

In your case, your truck has a towing capacity of 8350. General rule of thumb is 10% tongue weight, so your truck should be able to handle a tongue weight of 835 lbs. (Actual numbers may differ, and a WDH can also affect things greatly.) I know our 4 horse straight (also an older model steel trailer) weighs in right around 4000 lbs. Add 4 horses, average 1000 lbs, and you'll be at 8000lbs, plus any tack, equipment, feed, etc. and you're going to be awfully close, if not over the rated towing capacity for your truck. I'm also not taking into account any extra weight in the truck. If your towing capacity is that close, I would guess that your GCWR is close too. (You seem like a bright guy, just in case someone else reads this post though, Towing capacity and GCWR are two different things.) Towing capacity being the max that a vehicle can pull, Gross Combined Weight Rating being the total weight of truck, trailer, and all the 'stuff' in them.

There are cases of vehicle combinations that one can be exceeded and the other isn't, and vice versa. Something to keep in mind. In your case, having two (or three) horses everything may handle well, and be completely legal too. That fourth horse may still handle ok, but might put the weight numbers over the limit. Depending on the kids though, maybe you'll never get that fourth horse, or, you may very well have a larger truck by then too.

Mark

Edited by greywynd 2006-07-07 8:16 AM
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-07-07 9:24 PM (#44246 - in reply to #44022)

Veteran

Originally written by 6t8stang on 2006-07-04 11:03 PM

I was concerned about that too, so I did a little searching online and found out that my truck's max towing capacity is 8350 lbs. The 2500 only has a few hundred more pounds of capacity unless you go to the diesel. I have also pulled a friend's 4 horse steel stock/combo with the horses and tack etc. with no problems. I did not have a brake controller at the time so I was extra cautious of following and braking distances and the truck pulled through with minimal effort. I'm not saying that I'm not worried about the weight issue but I do feel comfortable that the truck can handle it. I have a feeling that by the time the kids get their own horses we will more than likely have a bigger truck also. I will not hesitate to park the trailer if it proves to be too much. I'm not one to sacrifice safety when comes to my family or my animals. We do not take the horses to shows nor do we do any long distance travel with them. The trailer's primary use is for weekend rides usually within 50 miles of home. No major highway travel, in fact where we live there are more dirt roads than tar roads.

4 Horse BUMPER pull with a half ton truck.  My advice is to stay away.  If you ever get into a sway situation with that trailer on your truck, you're done.  It'd be safer if it were a 4-horse gooseneck on your pickup.

Here's a little story.  I was pulling a loaded car trailer (U-haul), about 6300 pounds, with my '91 F-350 DUALLY.  Going through Oklahoma City at 12:30 in the morning, I encountered a construction zone on the interstate with those STUPID DADGUMMED cement dividers placed where the lines on the road normally would have been.  There was NO room for error.

Needless to say, after some miles of doing okay, I ran over the edge of one of those dividers with the truck's right/rear outer tire.  The truck pitched violenty to the left, then the right.  I thought I was going to roll the entire rig but stayed calm and saved her.

Any less of a truck and we'd have been through.  I had a truck that was more than adequate for the trailer I was pulling in normal situations, and that was capable of getting me out of a bad situation.  You don't have that luxury with your half ton pulling that big trailer.  I don't care if it will pull it.  It WILL NOT stop it nor will it MANEUVER IT if you get into a bad situation.  Besides, your insurance won't stand up if you're over your truck's ratings.  My wife's 2000 Silverado half ton would barely handle her 2 horse bumper pull trailer... didn't feel safe because that trailer pulled the truck, not the other way around.  Handling/steering were vague at best.

Edited by racesarabhorses 2006-07-07 9:35 PM
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-07-08 10:28 AM (#44262 - in reply to #44012)

Regular

yep, it's not what it can pull, it's handling and STOPPING.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-08 3:15 PM (#44271 - in reply to #44246)

Expert

Originally written by racesarabhorses on 2006-07-07 10:24 PM

Here's a little story.  I was pulling a loaded car trailer (U-haul), about 6300 pounds, with my '91 F-350 DUALLY.  Going through Oklahoma City at 12:30 in the morning, I encountered a construction zone on the interstate with those STUPID DADGUMMED cement dividers placed where the lines on the road normally would have been.  There was NO room for error.

Needless to say, after some miles of doing okay, I ran over the edge of one of those dividers with the truck's right/rear outer tire.  The truck pitched violenty to the left, then the right.  I thought I was going to roll the entire rig but stayed calm and saved her.

Any less of a truck and we'd have been through.  I had a truck that was more than adequate for the trailer I was pulling in normal situations, and that was capable of getting me out of a bad situation.  You don't have that luxury with your half ton pulling that big trailer.  I don't care if it will pull it.  It WILL NOT stop it nor will it MANEUVER IT if you get into a bad situation.  Besides, your insurance won't stand up if you're over your truck's ratings.  My wife's 2000 Silverado half ton would barely handle her 2 horse bumper pull trailer... didn't feel safe because that trailer pulled the truck, not the other way around.  Handling/steering were vague at best.

i do love "little stories", but i am really curious as to what you pull the 3H GN in your sig with?  if the 8000# dually is what it takes to get a 6000# trailer out of trouble, what are you going to do when it hits the fan with the bigger trailer? or is this just another case of the majic dust involved with the 2500/3500 being "oh so much better" than the 1500?

6t8stang
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-09 5:46 PM (#44294 - in reply to #44012)

FYI, I purchased the trailer Friday evening and drove it home. Obviously it was empty for the ride but my truck handled it like it was my little utility trailer. We had gust of wind up to 35 MPH and it just so happened that the road I was on put me in a cross wind for about 60 miles. No problems at all.

I do plan on putting the horses in the back stalls. The rear axle looks to be right in the middle of the rear stall and the front axle is in the front of the rear stall. So, I'll be putting all tack, hay, maybe a small tank of water and things in the front of the trailer to put more weight forward. Our horses are smaller low 14 hands so they don't weigh a whole lot.

As far as brakes, the truck stopped it no problem without the brake controller, with the brake controller I stopped on a dime. Obviously with the extra weight of horses, tack, etc. I will need the brake controller. Before I actually bought it, the seller let me hook up and take it down the road a bit. I was very conscious of pulling, bouncing, swaying, and braking and like I said, it was just like having my little utility trailer (7.5' x 10') on it.

Not saying, HAHA your wrong, because every one has their own opinions and experiences, and thresholds for what feels safe. I feel comfortable that I and my truck can handle this trailer and it's contents. YMMV <-- your mileage may vary.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)