'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hi Tie placement

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-08 1:07 PM
27 replies, 11248 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

upslady
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2009-08-20 5:04 PM (#109710)
Subject: Hi Tie placement

I am having trouble figuring out where to place the hities on my trailer because of the slide out and outside closet on the side of my trailer. I am wanting to keep both horses on the same side but am worried about being too close to the slide out. I have a 3 horse 10 1/2 sw. Any suggestions on where to put them.

Linda

Edited by upslady 2009-08-20 5:07 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nashyboy
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-20 8:12 PM (#109725 - in reply to #109710)
Subject: RE: Hi Tie placement

Linda- I wouldn't take a chance on damaging the trailer if I were you. Maybe way in the back, or I wouldn't use them.
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-08-21 5:38 PM (#109794 - in reply to #109710)

Veteran

Those things don't look like a good idea to me. The horse can still bang up your trailer. Unless I had a horse that stood calmly while tied, I'd still run an ole fashioned picket line...far away from my valuable trailer. I've seen horses get their feet stuck in between the tires while pawing...or pull back then lunge foreward into the trailer. I avoid tying to my trailer unless my horse is attended. So where would I place a Hi Tie? Nowhere.
Amanda
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-30 12:37 PM (#111272 - in reply to #109710)

Extreme Veteran

Just wanted to say since 2003 I have competed in Competitive Trail with the North American Trail Ride Conference. One of our rules to promote equality is that all horses be stabled alike during competition.To accomplish this we are generally required to stationary tie to trailers or pickets. Most all of us have one of the brands of Hi Ties mounted on our trailers. Some have one on each side. Horses do very well on Hi Ties. They give your horse room to move around and lie down and they get him back away from the trailer. Of course our horses are trained to camp and tie on a Hi Tie or picket before we actually go to a competition. The Hi Tie mimmicks the picket line. Hi Ties have an amount of give to them when a horse pulls on them. I find it hard to discount something when you have no first hand knowledge of its use.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-09-30 12:53 PM (#111274 - in reply to #109710)

Elite Veteran

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-09-30 12:56 PM (#111275 - in reply to #109710)

Elite Veteran

I LOVE and my pony Huginn... LOVES my HiTie!!

It gives Huginn lots of space to move around and lay down.

It gives me a sense of peace, knowing that I can "feel" my pony during the night, and be alerted should he get into "trouble" while on my trailer.

I highly recommend the HiTie and as soon as I can afford another one, I will buy one for the other side of my trailer for my mini horse mare.

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-09-30 12:57 PM (#111276 - in reply to #109710)

Elite Veteran

Oh...here's a link to a photo showing Huginn on the HiTie.

http://tinyurl.com/ydvqa5a
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-09-30 4:15 PM (#111283 - in reply to #109710)

Expert

Put them up high enough that they are above the horses head.  Low enough you can rach them.  I put mine as high as possible on the trailer.

position them so when a horse is teethered it won't interfer with you awning ( or other outiside accessory)

I'd prefer them a little higher than this., But to each their own.

I had two on the street side and one on the curb side of this trailer, because of the awning

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-10-01 2:46 PM (#111318 - in reply to #109710)

Elite Veteran

I've been looking into these also.. My problem is that I have a 2H bumperpull .. One of my mares is a bee-otch and will kick the bejesus out of the other one.. If I placed one to the very front and the other to the very back of each side, will that give them enough separation?  My trailer is a hart 2 horse medallion.. I'd guess @ 14 feet box length..
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-10-02 12:58 PM (#111364 - in reply to #109710)

Extreme Veteran

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-10-02 1:01 PM (#111366 - in reply to #109710)

Extreme Veteran

Oops the post got sent without the text. Sorry. Anyhow I was going to say that lots of people use 2 inch PVC pipe to make "fence " dividers between horses tied to trailers. Get a couple pieces of rebar and hammer into the ground then put the PVC "panel" together using slip pvc collars and set it down over the rebar to hold it up erect. Then you could put the Hi Ties on each side of our 2 horse with the "panel" extending out from the center rear of your trailer. Have even seen people drape a blanket over it for more reinforcement.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-10-03 6:11 PM (#111409 - in reply to #109710)

Elite Veteran

That's actually a great idea.. I have overkill on containment; ie: hi-line, elec fence, and portable corrall as well as wanting the hi-tie.. The problem comes in that one won't do the elec fencing, the other won't respect the portable corral..tries to stand on the bottom rung and ends up putting her hoof thru the bottom rung, and although both tie well, I've never tried the high-line as well as not having proper tie-to materials the times that we've been.. Right now when we go to bandera, we've used the provided iron corrals at the equestrian camp-sites, but again.. I can't leave the one mare because she will climb up the rungs like a dog until she is standing straight up on her hind legs like a dodo..I could also put her on a hi-tie and use the portable corral for the other.. I'll have to figure something out.. Any more good ideas are appreciated..
dbochy
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-13 9:07 PM (#114214 - in reply to #111409)

Stake her out.  Attach a rope you've threaded through a substantial heavy garden hose (right up to the snap).  That way there's no tangling, no rope burns, etc.  Use your tire jack to loosen or tighten a stake or screw in stake.  It's pretty safe...easy to transport..tough to hammer in..but worth it if you don't have to move every night.   Always attach glow sticks (from Wal Mart) to halter at night...of any horse when away from home.  Makes em easy to see if someone is driving through the camp area...and easy to find if they get loose.  

Happy Trails..

DB

dbochy
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-13 9:10 PM (#114215 - in reply to #111275)

Loved the pictures!  I have a question - how long do you make the rope on a Hi-Tie? (So they can lay down) do you tie it off to the length that the snap just touches the ground?  Or only long enough that they can lay down with their head up (legs just folded under them)?

Thanks..

DB

dbochy
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-13 9:12 PM (#114216 - in reply to #111272)

To allow them to lay down...how long do you leave your rope?  Do you measure enough rope so they can lay flat out?  Do you measure and let the snap on the end of the rope just touch the ground?

DB

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-12-13 9:15 PM (#114217 - in reply to #114216)

Elite Veteran

Set the snap so it's about 4-5" of the ground. Then you can pull down on the lead line and you will see how low it will go when your horse lies down. Did that make sense?
dbochy
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-13 9:21 PM (#114218 - in reply to #114217)

Yes..I understand..thank you.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-12-14 8:26 AM (#114229 - in reply to #109710)

Extreme Veteran

They have some give to them. My brand, Spring Tie,  has a spring and original Hi Tie's are made of a fiberglass type rod that flexes some. You tie the rope so that the snap is about 3 inches off the ground when hanging straight down. If the horse needs more  he will simply pull and the Hi Tie rod or spring will flex. I had Tie Rite's on the trailer I just traded off that had very little give to them and one of my horses somewhat bent it. For one of these brands I would use a bungee type tie to get some give. I also use panic snaps on both ends of the rope as well as a swivel so the rope doesnt tangle up. I will have to get pictures of my set up and post them. They are a wonderful way to camp with horses if you dont have picket lines.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-12-14 9:01 AM (#114231 - in reply to #109710)

Expert

I set mine so that when the horses flex  the fiberglass rod, they can barely get their nose to the ground. I place their feed in haynets.  During the day, when I can watch them, I might give them a little more length. but at night, I keep it fairly short.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-12-14 3:46 PM (#114256 - in reply to #109710)

Elite Veteran

I can understand the need when there is a lack of trees....Have any of you picketed trailer to trailer?

Tying to these as opposed to tying to a picket I would think to be similar in length. My picket is taught. When I tie my horse to it, I leave the lead rope long enough ( I'll tug some on the line) so it is about 6-12 inches from the ground. This leaves enough room for them to lay down without getting hung up on the lead.....checking/possibly adjusting the picket from time to time....

Edited by Gone 2009-12-14 5:38 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-12-15 8:30 AM (#114277 - in reply to #109710)

Expert

Most of the tie rings on horse trailers are 4'6" to 5' off the ground for easy access. They are not high enough to highline off. I've also worried about breaking the tie rings. It's enough of a risk when one horse pulls on his teether. I can imagine if 4 horses got nervous and pulled on leads that inturn all pulled on one ring.

And then we need to consider that primative camping doesn't always allow us to park the right distance apart to highline between two trailers. I'm not pulling into horse camps with manicured lawns to park on. We have to deal with rocks, sagebrush, etc.

I'm sure  high lining between trailers would work for many folks, It's just not something that has worked for us.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-12-15 9:13 AM (#114280 - in reply to #109710)

Extreme Veteran

Most of you know by now I guess that I compete, seriously and quite heavily, in NATRC Competitive Trail. Our rule book states to have the snap hang about 3 inches off the ground. We often just feed the hay on the ground, and I feed my beet pulp/pellet mix in a pan on the ground. Having the snap 6 to 12 inches off the ground, even with a give type Hi Tie, would be too high for the horse to eat.  And if you want to place your snap higher than the recommended 3 inches, you certainly can. Most you can do is loose Horsemanship points. LOL We have hi-lined between trailers at rides with no trees or pickets. Also hi-lined between the tree and a trailer. You do this (get your height for the picket line) by tying off on the side of your trailer and then going over the top of your trailer to the other trailer or tree. I would do this often with my older trailer but I will not do it with my new LQ because I worry about the rope rubbing the sealant on top of the seams. I am super picky about this trailer as it was expensive. I have seen people throw an old blanket over the top and throw the picket over that. I chose to purchase Hi Ties so I can pull in and park anywhere and have a nice spot to tie my horse for camping. Horses that are accumstomed to camping and being on a hi line do fine. Its training just like any other training and we do the training part at home before we go camping or to a competition.
tennessue
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-15 10:58 PM (#114305 - in reply to #109710)

New User

Has anyone here tried the new "Tilt Tie" . . . or if not, would you recommend the Spring Tie? We need to order a pair pretty quickly since our next endurance ride is just 3 1/2 weeks away, and I'm hoping they're simple enough my husband can install them (not that he's not handy . . . )    Thanks!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-12-16 9:41 AM (#114323 - in reply to #109710)

Expert

The Tilt Tie looks like it has more parts and is more complex than the HiTie.  I don't know if it works any better or worse.

I kinda prefer the simple product. The HiTie just has a fiberglass rod that flexes when the horses pull against it. Pretty simple.

I've installed several sets. Both on my trailers over the years and on friends. You just need to make sure that you mount them direct over an internal frame member. (Stud)  Don't mount them to just the skin of the trailer.  Hold them in place, mark the holes, drill the holes all the way thru.  place the mounting brackets in place and insert the mounting bolts, Go inside and place the washer and nuts on the bolts and tighten. 

If you don't get the mounting brackets over a internal frame member, when the horses pull, it will tear through the skin of the trailer. It's never happened to me, but I saw a trailer in a parking lot that had a big hole from one being mounted incorrectly.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-12-16 1:28 PM (#114330 - in reply to #109710)

Extreme Veteran

I ordered the Spring Tie because it was a little cheaper than the Hi Tie and one of the vendors for Spring Tie's are a sponsor of NATRC and AERC so by giving her my membership number she knocked off shipping as a discount. Have only gotten to use my Spring Tie once but was riding my half Arab who pulls a bit and it performed wonderfully. We had Tie Rites on the old trailer and while they were easy to work since you didnt need to stand on anything, this horse did bend the one he was on a little. Enough to make it harder to scope up and down. I have friends with Hi Tie brands and Spring Tie brands and they work equally well. Am not familiar with Tilt Tie but have seen pictures of it online. My husband installed the Tie Rites but he didnt want to do the drilling on the new LQ trailer so I took it to our local dealership/trailer shop. After talking to them I was under the impression they knew to drill through a stud. When I picked the trailer up it was drilled through the skin, which is how we had mounted the Tie Rites. My trailer is insulated and lined on the inside so does have a double wall, plus there is the backing plates and they assured me we would have no issues with it. I told them fine, I would staple the instructions, which I had left with them, and the bill receipt together and if it pulled through they could fix the side of my trailer. LOL I had mine mounted close to the rear corner because I have an awning on one side and mangers doors on the other. Plus the horses like to see each other and they have more walking room by utilizing part of the rear of the trail, and it gets them away from the tires. My Paint mare I compete on likes to sleep with her butt against the trailer and she would knock the hubcaps loose. Have forgotten to check them and lost a few on the road.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)