'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
D.O.T. numbers

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-11-16 11:01 PM
27 replies, 8134 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-11-10 6:07 PM (#94647)
Subject: D.O.T. numbers

Expert

How many of you haul with a vehicle that's got a GVWR of 10000# or above? You haul your own horses, nothing commercial even though you have commercial plates. You cross state line with your own horses and bring them back home. No buying or selling involved, example: Just ride down to Florida from North Carolina for a trail ride. I get a letter today suggesting that I get a D.O.T. number for my dually!!! I just renewed my North Carolina Drivers License back in September..... Must have tripped the trigger on something when it went through the computer.

The letter states: This request only applies to those vehicles crossing state lines in trade, traffic, or transportation of goods, property and passengers. This also includes vehicles transporting hazardous materials within this state.

Here's a link.  http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/   click on "registration and licensing" and follow the instructions.

Now, Do I do, or, Do I don't need a USDOT number?

Motto: Don't start nothing, won't be nothing!!

Edited by retento 2008-11-10 6:08 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
daisycake123
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-10 6:51 PM (#94649 - in reply to #94647)
Subject: RE: D.O.T. numbers

North Carolina has different rules for trucks and trailers. Call you DMV and find out what rules apply to your truck and trailer.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-11-10 7:11 PM (#94650 - in reply to #94647)

Expert

It says  "traffic" .  I think that would apply to everyone.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-11-10 7:49 PM (#94654 - in reply to #94649)

Expert

Originally written by daisycake123 on 2008-11-10 7:51 PM

North Carolina has different rules for trucks and trailers. Call you DMV and find out what rules apply to your truck and trailer.

You can call three different times and get four different answers..

Terri... Looks like they would just say.. "If the vehicle has a GVWR of 10000#, you must have a D.O.T. number". That would be too easy. Go to the website I posted and  click on "registration and licensing" and follow the instructions. It's all kind of crazy.... Next thing we'll be getting that micro-chip in the back of our neck, so we can be scanned by the DOT officers or the guys and gals at the scales!!

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-11-10 9:46 PM (#94658 - in reply to #94654)

Expert

Better be 100%  positive what is ON that microchip before you agree to have it implanted! Know what I mean,Vern?

Better yet,just say no.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-11-10 11:41 PM (#94663 - in reply to #94647)

Elite Veteran

Unless you are hauling commercial goods (would include horses for sale, sold, slaughter, or show for profit), or for hire, or commercial equipment, a DOT number is not required. All they are trying to do is to get more vehicles registered because the more registered the more employees and a higher budget request to the legislature. My neighbor is a State Trooper who works with the MN DOT and he said they send out those letters to justify their existence.
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-11-11 10:22 AM (#94676 - in reply to #94647)

Veteran

They can also make you pay a yearly fee for every truck and trailer you own once you get DOT number. I own half of business which involves trucks and trailers. We have to pay a yearly fee to the state of MN for the number of trucks and trailer which our company owns. Yes it is terrible that you can call the dept. of transportation and talk to 3 different people and get 3 different answers. I think that they need to get their sh#t together and have one answer.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-11-11 10:30 AM (#94677 - in reply to #94647)

Expert

(Quote)... They can also make you pay a yearly fee for every truck and trailer you own once you get DOT number.

On their website when you are applying online, one of the first things they ask for is a.... Credit Card number!!! LOL! When I got to that part I just stopped and said to hell with it.

skippyvcu
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-11-11 11:05 AM (#94681 - in reply to #94647)

Regular

The DOT site is confusing but I did find the exemption below.

§372.115 Commodities that are not exempt under 49 U.S.C. 13506(a)(6).

49 U.S.C.13506(a)(6) provides an exemption from regulation for motor vehicles used in carrying ordinary livestock, fish, and unmanufactured agricultural commodities. Certain specific commodities have been statutorily determined to be non–exempt. Administrative Ruling No. 133, which is reproduced below, is a list of those commodities that are non–exempt by statute.

threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-11 11:49 AM (#94683 - in reply to #94647)

Extreme Veteran

This DOT crap is coming. Sooner than later it will be requirement for anyone over 26k to have a cdl. Even RV's until the law gets straightened out. It is not clear and 10 people will give 10 different answers from 10 different states.

Before its clarified it will become a mess. This is my theory.

I am also going to be caught up in as well. We are about 30k. RV use for pleasure. We certainly are not making money or even trying too. What I dont understand is why should I have to get a CDL when my neighbor in his 250k motorhome with diesel pusher and air brakes doesnt? I have trailer is the only thing different. Sometimes he is towing a full size truck. Weight is weight so what is the difference?

For awhile we will be able to get by with things but like I said its coming to a head. The law doesnt bother me or I am not really worried about a ticket. What concerns me in this ACLU loving world we have is say I get into a wreck with my truck and trailer. Its over 26k, air brakes, etc. I have only a class C drivers license because for RV use I am not supposed to be required by GA law. The law is so vague, how far do you think that will get me? Probably sued to high heaven. That is what worries me about not having the CDL. On the other hand, they are not supposed to give you tickets if you are in a non CDL vehicle. They are supposed to go by what you are driving. However that doesnt work all of the time. With an honest guy it may, but not with the average cop. All they see is CDL and "you should know better because you make your living with this license" attitude. I have seen that with my own eyes. Its coming I know. So far GA and FL are and from there to TX I havent had a moments trouble.

DOT friend of mine told me to get rid of my 26000lb tag and get a regular tag so that it doesnt look like I am running commercial. I havent yet but I am going to do so.

I have my CDL book but have not taken the test yet. I keep trying to decide if I really need to or even want to.
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-11-11 11:54 AM (#94684 - in reply to #94647)

US DOT numbers are for commercial motor vehicles. This is right off of their web site-

"Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number. The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company’s safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections."

For what you are describing, you are not operating a commercial motor vehicle. Now, if you were transporting horses for hire, it could be a different situation.

Now I just re-read your original post- it says you have commercial plates- that could change things. Why the commercial plates?

windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-11-11 12:22 PM (#94686 - in reply to #94683)

Originally written by threeman on 2008-11-11 11:49 AM

This DOT crap is coming. Sooner than later it will be requirement for anyone over 26k to have a cdl. Even RV's until the law gets straightened out. It is not clear and 10 people will give 10 different answers from 10 different states. Before its clarified it will become a mess. This is my theory. I am also going to be caught up in as well. We are about 30k. RV use for pleasure. We certainly are not making money or even trying too. What I dont understand is why should I have to get a CDL when my neighbor in his 250k motorhome with diesel pusher and air brakes doesnt? I have trailer is the only thing different. Sometimes he is towing a full size truck. Weight is weight so what is the difference? For awhile we will be able to get by with things but like I said its coming to a head. The law doesnt bother me or I am not really worried about a ticket. What concerns me in this ACLU loving world we have is say I get into a wreck with my truck and trailer. Its over 26k, air brakes, etc. I have only a class C drivers license because for RV use I am not supposed to be required by GA law. The law is so vague, how far do you think that will get me? Probably sued to high heaven. That is what worries me about not having the CDL. On the other hand, they are not supposed to give you tickets if you are in a non CDL vehicle. They are supposed to go by what you are driving. However that doesnt work all of the time. With an honest guy it may, but not with the average cop. All they see is CDL and "you should know better because you make your living with this license" attitude. I have seen that with my own eyes. Its coming I know. So far GA and FL are and from there to TX I havent had a moments trouble. DOT friend of mine told me to get rid of my 26000lb tag and get a regular tag so that it doesnt look like I am running commercial. I havent yet but I am going to do so. I have my CDL book but have not taken the test yet. I keep trying to decide if I really need to or even want to.

One of my customers, an ex-state patrolman, bought a truck(semi tractor) from me to pull his race car trailer. This is what he did, and I think it's a good idea. He researched whether or not , under Colorado law, he was required to have a commercial driver's license or special plates or registration for his truck. Under Colorado law, he doesn't need a CDL, and his truck is licensed as a recreational vehicle. He also is not required to stop at the weigh stations or ports of entry in Colorado. He documented all of this, and some of it was letters from state officials on letterhead. He made copies of all this and carries it all in the truck with him in a folder. His reasoning was, if he gets stopped out of state, he can show that he is abiding by the law in the state in which he resides and his vehicle is registered. It shows what he is doing and why, and that he is not just "trying to slide by".

I personally think that is a good way to aproach this when you have one of these vehicles that depending on interpretation, can seem to fall under different regulations. Most (I can't say for sure all) states have reciprocity regarding the vehicle registration and drivers license requirements from other states.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-11-11 12:44 PM (#94689 - in reply to #94684)

Expert

Originally written by windy on 2008-11-11 12:54 PM

US DOT numbers are for commercial motor vehicles. This is right off of their web site-

"Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number. The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company’s safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections."

For what you are describing, you are not operating a commercial motor vehicle. Now, if you were transporting horses for hire, it could be a different situation.

Now I just re-read your original post- it says you have commercial plates- that could change things. Why the commercial plates?

Sorry, I said Commercial when it's actually a "weighted plate". I got 25000# plates on the truck. I used to run Farm Truck plates but that go beyond 150 miles from home base comes into play, so I bought the regular "weighted tag".

windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-11-11 2:09 PM (#94698 - in reply to #94647)

I just looked at the license and titling manual on North Carolina's web site- Holy cow! Talk about confusing- let's see- I don't need to license my pig roaster unless I pull it with cargo in it- including the pig! LMAO!!  I'd still say you don't need a US DOT number- that's just my opinion!

Bill

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-11 3:34 PM (#94701 - in reply to #94689)

Expert

As of now ANY thing 25,999lbs. or under is non-commerical!

We live in Texas and have a new 3500 Dodge C/C that is over 10-k gvw and haul a horse trailer that is over 19-k loaded with horses and a hay trailer that is over 22-k loaded and sill get to run farm plates! Good thing about that is FARM plates are good upto 36-k gross.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-11-11 5:03 PM (#94718 - in reply to #94647)

Expert

Boss... How far can you get away from your mailing address/home base with your farm plates? In N.C. it's 150 miles.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-11 9:40 PM (#94730 - in reply to #94647)

It is the gvwr (and purpose) that controls whether one must have a cdl and so forth.....this has been discussed at length before.  There is no reason to use "weight" plates on a private not for hire vehicle.  The plate is probably what triggered the dot letter.  If you do not want to use farm plates, then get a regular private vehicle plate.  The 150 mile radius is for commercial hauling of agricultural products (commercial purpose) like hauling cows to auction.  It is not necessary to comply with commerical vehicle requirements under that circumstance.  I have a 12K gvwr dually.  It does not have nor does it need to have anything other than a regular private vehicle plate.  Once a "weighted" plate is put on a vehicle, it creates an inference that the vehicle is being used for a commercial purpose.  So the question is:  Why did you choose to put a "weight rating" plate on your vehicle?

And the gvwr for inference of commercial purpose is 26,001 pounds.....

And the word "traffic" is a term of art in the legal context;  means commercial transactions

And if a smaller vehicle is used in a commercial enterprise, such as a half ton truck that has business graphics on it, then it must comply with commercial vehicle laws.

Edited by rose 2008-11-11 9:49 PM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-11-12 2:10 AM (#94735 - in reply to #94647)

Expert

Why did you choose to put a "weight rating" plate on your vehicle?  Because that's what the man at the DMV license plate place said I should run.

I had always run farm truck plates... We go to Fl., Pa., Tn, etc. My understanding was I could/should not go beyond 150 miles from home with the farm truck plate. Now you are telling me that I don't need a plate with any type of weight on it? You are saying I can get away with a plate like the one thats on my car? Truck and trailer all loaded up weighs 23000# and I don't have to have a farm truck/weighted/commercial tag to cover that weight? Confusing, too many rules that can be twisted and turned around. The truck is my personal vehicle, I don't haul "for hire"  I think they are just sending letters out, shooting in the dark if you will, to see how many folks respond and send in those fees..... Mo' money is Mo' betta for the state, like "genebob" said in his post!!    Here's a number I call a while ago, 1-919-861-3582.  They are overwhelmed with calls, so you'll get a recording as to what you should do!!! 

Edited by retento 2008-11-12 7:25 AM
Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-11-12 9:40 AM (#94745 - in reply to #94647)

Regular

Nobody should be taking anyone else's advice over legalities on a message board!  Do your own research for your own situation and make your own phone calls.  The person on thes board that is giving you advice, is not going to pay your fine when you are stopped by DOT!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-11-12 9:54 AM (#94746 - in reply to #94647)

Buffy You are correct.  Retento should contact a lawyer in NC who has knowledge of commercial and non-commercial hauling. 

Retento  So long as you are using your truck and trailer for your own personal recreation and fun, you do not need a "weight" tag.  Do you see "weight" tags on those RV buses?  There is a fuzzy area in the law about what consitutes an RV;  but do not take my word for it.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-11-12 10:20 AM (#94747 - in reply to #94718)

Expert

It used to be 150 miles, but now they say as long as you are doing soemthing related to your "farm" it does not matter.  We have been to KS, Ok, Ark hauling hay and (knock on wood) have never had any problems.  Been to KS and Ok with horses (in a 4 horse LQ trailer with farm tags) and have only been asked for health papers.

They are trying to chance the deale on the LQ trailers, but I'm not sure if they can get it done or not.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-11-12 10:26 AM (#94748 - in reply to #94647)

Expert

I don't think that I qualify as an "RV". I don't have a permanently mounted toilet with holding tanks, no running water, water heater, cook stove, shower nor do I have TWO sinks (one in the bath, one in the cooking area) that CRG is fond of!!  Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it, we'll just load and go.
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-11-12 11:49 AM (#94756 - in reply to #94746)

Here is the link to the North Carolina DOT Division of Motor Vehicles Title and License Manual.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/titlemanual/

Section 2 deals with license plates, body descriptions, and your rules regarding weights. We can all give you our best advice, but here are the rules for your state. By the way, it's a 391 page pdf document if you want to download and print it! If you move to Colorado, the laws are much simpler here!

Good luck!   

windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-11-12 11:53 AM (#94757 - in reply to #94748)

Originally written by retento on 2008-11-12 10:26 AM

I don't think that I qualify as an "RV". I don't have a permanently mounted toilet with holding tanks, no running water, water heater, cook stove, shower nor do I have TWO sinks (one in the bath, one in the cooking area) that CRG is fond of!!  Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it, we'll just load and go.

I'm with you on that!

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-11-12 12:11 PM (#94758 - in reply to #94748)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2008-11-12 10:26 AM

HA HA HA! Yep,love those 2 sinks that I can:brush my teeth and wash my face in one,and,wash dishes,ect in the other!! That's really roughing it,isn't it!!!!!(my idea of it.)Around here,in Arkansas,you'd be lucky to even SEE tags on trailers,friend of ours got stopped one PM hauling something on an old utility trailer w/out tags,the cop gave him a warning for the lights being out,said NOTTA about no tags! I see stuff that you can't imagine,homemade,ect just junk,no tags of any kind,much less weight rated tags.Big farm trucks seasonally used I mean,18 wheelers and tandem axle things to haul rice,no tags,ect.But if I tried to go w/out tags on any of my horse trailers (folks are fond of just swapping them around depending on which one they want to pull that day) I'd get pulled over and a ticket,myself.So,I registered and assessed on all 3 of the things,plus the utility trailer.My luck  is such that I'd be the one that got in trouble if I didn't.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)