'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
ten year old quarter gelding " blew up"??could it be teeth???

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-07 10:19 PM
26 replies, 7178 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-10-07 10:11 PM (#68968 - in reply to #68569)
Subject: RE: ten year old quarter gelding " blew up"??could it be teeth???

Extreme Veteran

My horse can run forward, as long as he wants to, with his head cranked around to my knee. He is exteremely supple in the neck and athletic...he can go any direction with his head bent around. Fortunately for me, he does not do this any longer, with lots of work and the help of the occasional poke with a spur. But it is possible, absolutely. When he was 3, he ran me into a tree trying to avoid a creek, with his head pulled around to my knee. I realized at that point I would need to think ahead of this horse and anticipate every problem area and what I was going to do about it, well in advance. If there was a place I felt I could not safely win, I did not go there. I chose trails I could always safely win the battle. Once he gained confidence, we ventured out to the questionable trails and then the challenging trails. Now, at 8 years old, he is the best horse I have ever owned... smart and wants to be a good riding partner. We ride endurance and he is awesome, but can still run forward with his head cranked if he wants to.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-10-07 10:19 PM (#68970 - in reply to #68672)
Subject: RE: ten year old quarter gelding " blew up"??could it be teeth???

Extreme Veteran

My first guess would be that he was getting frustrated and a little muscle cramped with the backing and tuning... I never realized how much back strength it took a horse to back up, until I worked with my horse as a youngster.  It takes alot of muscle strength to back up and spin, etc.  If your horse was worked too much after sitting so long, he may have gotten really uncomfortable.  If this was the case, the rider should have sensed something was not right.  Not trying to assign blame, just offering a possible explanation.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)