'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ponderosa gooseneck trailers

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-10 9:18 AM
26 replies, 7323 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sonysgirl
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-04 9:54 AM (#47826)
Subject: Ponderosa gooseneck trailers

We are thinking about buying a Ponderosa Trailer---2 horse slant--I would like to know if there is anyone out there who has had problems with this trailer or any advise that anyone can give me.  This is the first time that we have purchased a new one & we don't know much as far as what to look for.  Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-04 12:26 PM (#47833 - in reply to #47826)
Subject: RE: Ponderosa gooseneck trailers

Extreme Veteran

Hi, and welcome to the forum.   If you do a search, you will find there are a couple of threads on Ponderosa trailers.  I have owned one in the past just as a knock around trailer.  The one I had did fine.  We have discussed on other topics the paint issues with the newer models.  Just go to the search function and you should be able to located these discussions.  Good luck with your purchase!
sonysgirl
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-04 7:33 PM (#47842 - in reply to #47826)

Thank you for your input---I did however see a really negative letter that someone posted on the internet about the factory---these people feel as thought they spent all this money to have a custom trailer & didnt' get what they had specified to their sales person.  According to them, they don't feel the trailer is safe to haul anything in & feel like the only thing the trailer would be good for is for someone in construction to haul tools in.  I don't know if they were just angry at the company or if this is true.  Makes me pretty cautious about them.  So I am going to do more research on them before I put any money down on a trailer.  Any other brands that maybe I should check into????  Thanks again for your help.
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-04 8:06 PM (#47845 - in reply to #47826)

Veteran

My husband and I bought a Ponderosa trailer for our first trailer. Rust was a big problem. We sold it real quick to insure we got our money back out of it. I still see the trailer every now and then(5 years later) and it is pretty rusty but not as bad as I would have expected. I know the lady who bought it had to have a new roof put on it but I can't honestly tell you the reason. Could have been from rust but not sure. It was the only 4 horse trailer we could afford at the time and we loved it for that reason. Also had a guy show up to help us transport some neighbors horses that were shot to the vet and he had a Ponderosa, It seemed to be in fair condition for its age.

Problably the best thing to do is look at some older Ponderosa's and see how they are holding up in your opinion, because everyones idea of too much rust is different.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-09-04 8:37 PM (#47847 - in reply to #47826)

Elite Veteran

I have a Ponderosa 3 horse slant BP.  The paint is thin and has popped off where it's been nicked by rocks.  It leaked at some of the seams, but hubby caulked, and all is well now.  The trailer pulls great, and the lights & brakes work fine.  Bottom line is, it's a  cheap trailer without any bells or whistles, but it serves my needs as an around town  trailer.  I can't pull a 12ft. shortwall LQ to peoples houses to do pony rides.  I pull this trailer at least 3 times a week.  I firmly believe I will get my money's worth and then some. 
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-04 8:48 PM (#47848 - in reply to #47826)

Extreme Veteran

I guess it all depends on your budget as to the other brands.  I looked at a Corn Pro before and was really impressed with the looks of how it was made.  Around here, a comparable low end brand to the Ponderosa would be a Delta.  I would suggest looking on this website and set the search functions to your price range and then see what trailers are available.  The trailer I had was a much older model Ponderosa.  Therefore, I cannot lend any advice as to how the newer models are made, I was just going off what my older model was like.  I do know that when we traded it in for a newer one, all of the welds were in good shape. 
sonysgirl
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-05 6:26 AM (#47862 - in reply to #47826)

Thank you all so much for your input on this trailer brand!  I will also check into the Delta brand & see what their trailers are like as well.  I did look at a '99 Ponderosa about two weeks ago & it did have quite a bit of rust on it---my husband climbed up the side of the trailer to check out the top & they have caulked the seams more than once he said.  When I asked the salesperson about this her response to me was "if proper care is taken, rust shouldn't be a problem" & said that they would send a booklet telling us what we need to do. My husband & I already decided that IF we do get this trailer, we will have a friend of ours who works painting autos, put a clear coat on it right after we get it.  Maybe that will help a little.  The first trailer that we bought, was a nightmare---you could see daylight through the axles, the wheels were "split rims" which are illeagal now & so those had to go....in other words, we spent all this money on getting this trailer road ready & safe & it STILL isn't done...hope I never run into the guy I bought it from again  --he is a scam artist---If my dad hadn't been a mechanic, I could have had a real tradgedy on my hands---those axles would NOT have held the weight of horses.  Anyway, thank you all again---I appreciate all the help & if anyone else wants to chime in, I will continue to check for advise or thoughts!  Have a great day

Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-09-05 7:58 AM (#47869 - in reply to #47826)

Regular

We have one! My advice is,  DON'T  BUY A PONDEROSA. I have nothing good to say about the Ponderosa trailers so I won't say anything other than that.

sonysgirl
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-05 8:31 AM (#47872 - in reply to #47869)

Okay Horse Crazy---You are going to have to help me out here---Did something bad happen to one of your horses using this trailer????????????  I need to know--if something like that did happen, we will NOT be looking at this brand of trailer any longer---I would rather save our money & buy a different brand than risk my horses safety......That is my biggest concern above everything else....
Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-09-05 9:07 AM (#47875 - in reply to #47826)

Veteran

Three years ago I bought a 2H bumper pull Ponderosa. It was a solid, decently built trailer that was strong, pulled well and all the lights and brakes always worked. Yeah, the paint wasn't the best, it got rock chips, some of the detailing wasn't so good. But the trailer--for what I paid for it--was a darn good value. I sold it to buy a 3H gooseneck...and I got almost what I paid for it. Ponderosa's aren't fancy...but they are safe and strong...at least the one I had was.
Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-09-05 9:28 AM (#47876 - in reply to #47826)

Regular

NO, Nothing happened to the horses. However, you'll read alot about the paint issues on these trailers. Here are some of the issues that we have had with ours. Every time we use it my husband spends an hour or two fixing the lights, we custom ordered ours with a 4 ft short wall it came with a two foot. We had all ready paid cash before it arrived. Now, they may have done something about that but we were so excited to get it we couldn't wait to use it so we did. Also when it arrived my husband had to add 2 pieces of wood to the floor. That's just how much gap was in the floor. The trailer is a 1999 and it looks to be about 10-15 years old all ready. The paint is indeed horrible. We live in SC. The trailer is rusted so bad it's just an embarassment for us to haul.  After it arrived my husband added some insulation and paneling to it. It's made so inexpensivley that it's hard to do anything to theinside of it. The tail lights fell of the trailer before to long. The trailer came with car tires. Since then we have changed that. But why would you put a radial car tire on a horse trailer? This was our first trailer. We just didn't know any better. BE CAREFUL. Do some research on some other brands of steel trailers before you buy it.

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-09-05 9:36 AM (#47877 - in reply to #47826)

Regular

I bought a two horse slant Ponderosa last July.  Went and picked it up in Arkansas myself.  For the money, it couldn't be beat.  It was a solid trailer that pulled well.  It did have some cosmetic issues, but I never doubted that it was a safe trailer.  Just go look at one yourself.  I sold mine because I decided I wanted a trailer with a bigger dressing room and got $200 dollars less than what I paid for it 8 months later.
go2italy
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-05 10:58 AM (#47886 - in reply to #47826)

I have one and, for the money, I love it.  Haven't had the first problem with it.  Although I should add a disclaimer here - my horse loves to eat anything shiny.  So I have had to repaint it and have made sure it got a good paint job.  That's the only thing I was not impressed with when I got mine.

It hauls great and is very sturdy.  So, like I said, for the money, I love it.

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-05 3:45 PM (#47898 - in reply to #47826)

Veteran

Horse Crazy reminded me that we also had to put heavier tires on our 1999 ponderosa, and a couple of times we went to leave for a show we had to fix the lights. We had a couple of unhappy kids when we had to miss a junior rodeo one night because of lights.
But, that was a 99 model. They could have improved by now.
sonysgirl
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-05 6:44 PM (#47912 - in reply to #47826)

I have been doing some checking into Circle J trailers & also Delta---anyone know anything about these two??  I would really like to go aluminum, but they are just way out there price wise it seems like. Thanks again to everyone for all the thoughts & advise---
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-05 8:52 PM (#47917 - in reply to #47826)

Extreme Veteran

We have a Delta dealer down this way and they look real comparable to the Ponderosa.  From what I looked at, the paint and the welds help up real nice.  The school system I work for was getting ready to purchase a stock trailer for us and I looked at the Delta.  I was real impressed with the quality of the workmanship.  In the end we ended up going with a Gooseneck brand since we haul more cattle than horses.    I would not be hesitant in buying a Delta from what I saw.  As with any trailer, each one has their own problems and favorable parts.  I would check the trailer all over before I bought it.  One person's Delta trailer might be completely different than another individual.  I have no expericence with the Circle J.  Best of luck.

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-09-06 10:34 AM (#47952 - in reply to #47826)

Veteran

You get what you pay for!
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 11:04 AM (#47959 - in reply to #47826)

Veteran

Has anyone heard of Pony Express?
sonysgirl
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 7:32 PM (#48008 - in reply to #47952)

Not always true---You don't ALWAYS get what you pay for---sorry, have to disagree there---I have seen some very HIGH DOLLAR trailers at training clinics that were just thrown together very sloppily....not all of us can afford all the bells & whistles, but that doesn't mean that we don't love our horses & want their safety to be a priority. All I asked was for help & advise from other horse people who have been in this longer than I--don't need the sarcasim thanks...

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-06 9:44 PM (#48012 - in reply to #47826)

Extreme Veteran

I purchased a used 2000 Bonanza 2H stock/combo w/ dressing room, a couple of years ago and just love it. I use it for running around. I just had it repainted because the paint was real faded, but everything else on it is sound. No rust that I can find at all. You might look at that brand.

-Betty
ridinhigh
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-09-07 5:03 PM (#48063 - in reply to #47826)

I'd have to agree with the "you get what you pay for" statement, to a degree.  Yes there are some companies out there, that from time to time will put out a bad trailer.  It happens, just like cars or any other consumer product for that matter.  "Mr. Ponderosa" didn't build the trailer,  Bob or Joe, or whomever built it and could've made a bad weld, or slightly undersprayed it.  PEOPLE build these trailers not brands.  People make mistakes.  I don't understand people sometimes.  Waaaahhhh...I spent 2,500 dollars on a trailer and it's steel and it rusts and it doesn't have the highest quality this that or the other.  Give me a break.  Do a little research, buy within your means from a dealer you trust, and TAKE CARE of it, then you will get your mileage out of it.     Yupee horsepeople piss me off.  If you want a bulletproof trailer... forget it, not gonna happen.  They will ALL have problems from time to time.  I be rich if I had a nickel for every person on this forum who thinks trailer companies are out to screw them and make a 55% margin on everything they sell.  Time for a reality check for everyone.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-07 5:23 PM (#48065 - in reply to #47826)

Veteran

I think you are being too hard on people who are on this site to learn. I came on here myself to get information from a variety of people on horse trailer subjects. You may be familiar with all of this but many of us are new and we are listening. I am true to my brand of horse trailer but I did a lot of research and asked questions before I made a decision. Yes, maybe someone on the line had a bad day but when you hear from many others that they had problems with the same type trailer; that is not a bad day for 1 worker. It is a flaw coming from the company for whatever reason.

I research my cars the same way and I didn't buy a Rambler or a Yugo. Please be patient with those of us trying to learn. You chose to read this thread.

Steph_735
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-09-07 7:22 PM (#48066 - in reply to #47826)

Regular

I know someone with a ponderosa trailer, it works great for her, she didn't want an expensive trailer as it she doesn't use her trailer that much. Her trailer seemed to be built good and the paint was good.

I went out and bought a ranch king 2 horse slant. They arnt expensive trailers either, mine costed $4750 with the options i wanted. Yeah its not the best, but the trailer is built good for the money. The paint is good on it. I got it in july. The only rust i have on it was where the latches rub and where the divider rubbed on my trailer when my sister hauled it with the divider open. I have a can of touch up paint to fix rust spots. I also plan on washing and waxing it a few times a year also. The reason i went with this trailer was because i dont use my trailer that much yet, and i didn't want to buy an expensive trailer to have sit like 355 days of the year. In the future i plan on buying an aluminum trailer for when i get into rodeos. But until then my little trailer works great for me.

ridinhigh
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-09-07 9:48 PM (#48090 - in reply to #47826)

Very well said. 
Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-09-08 7:16 AM (#48107 - in reply to #47826)

Regular

arlene21,

Thank you I couldn't have said it better myself. At the time we purchased our trailer we did not know about this forum. As I mentioned in my previous post we just didn't know any better. Had we known what we were buying we may have taken our 5700.00 cash money and purchased a nicer trailer with a small payment and no regrets. I have been riding horses since I was 4 and I am 45 this year. I don't know it all but I do know a lot about horses. However, it was my first trailer and I didn't know anything about horse trailers. It's just been a  disapointment for us. And yes I do agree to some degree that you get what you pay for.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)