'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse trailer makers/your favorites/why?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-21 6:40 PM
26 replies, 8515 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2009-04-04 9:28 PM (#102758)
Subject: Horse trailer makers/your favorites/why?

Veteran

I've been looking on horsetrailerworld for a new trailer for awhile.  I know of the "better" brands, and would love to buy one, but money isn't free and I have to be reasonable!

I've really been looking at the Bison trailers, they are on the lower price end, but is the quality on the lower end too?  I always stick with the saying "you get what you pay for", but I can't pay 50,000 for a trailer! 

Any thoughts, experience???

It would be a LQ trailer, 4 horse too.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-04-05 3:34 PM (#102783 - in reply to #102758)
Subject: RE: Horse trailer makers/your favorites/why?

Expert

Everybody will have their own favorites. Mainly because of the options that each person find important. I woudn't worry so much about the brand as the features that the trailer has you want.  Like you I don't have money growing on trees. I refuse to borrow money to buy toys. So I've had to buy my trailers with what cash I had at the time. And I have done several upgrades over the past 15 years as I was able to add a little more money to the project.

I like an aluminum trailer. but I have not saved enough to buy a 4 Star, Platinum, Hart etc. So I've stayed in the middle class of trailers. I have owned two Classic trailers. I worked them hard and they held up well. The last two trailers have been Logan. They build a Stee Frame with an Aluminum skin. And they have held up well.  Both of these companies install their own LQ.  They use cabinets that are made out of particle board with a hardwood veneer. These are competitively priced interiors. I found them very functional.

I have liked my Logan the best. Mainly because it is 7'6" tall and 7'3" wide.  The extra room is definitely nice.

I live in Utah and it gets cold in winter and pretty hot in the summer. I want to be be to close the windows in the winter and open everything up when it's 100* outside. So I prefer drop down windows on both the Head and the Butt side. And some sort of window in both rear doors. I prefer Jailbird dividers vs the solid panels. I like to see my horses in the trailer, let them see the other horses and let the air move through the trailer easier. I like the ONE key fits all locks. An earlier trailer I owned must of had 5 keys to open everything. What a pain.  On trailers with out mangers/under manger storage, I like a mid tack. I frequently stuff 5 horses in my 4 horse trailer. With a rear tack their is no stuffing an extra horse in the trailer. Plus alot of rear tack rooms are colapsable. This means they are not sealed. Horses pee on the floor and what every you have laying on the floor in the tack area gets wet. Not a problem with the mid tacks I've owned.

I don't go to horse shows or hang out at fairgrounds. I need a trailer that can get down a forest service road and not leave it's bumper or holding tanks along the way. I'll put up with a higher step up for the horses vs dragging over bad spots in the road. I rarely use the stove and never have missed not having an oven. I do use the microwave and I cook outside a lot on either a grill or George Foreman type electric grill. I usually roll out my awning and leave a kitchen set up under it outside of the trailer. I've gotten kinda spoiled with my hydraulic jack. Not sure I'd want to go back to a manual crank. I rarely use my A/C. but I frequently use the furnace. When the sun goes down at 8000' elevation it's cold not hot.

I haul a generator in the pick up bed. I always install Hi Ties to the outside of the trailer so I can tie the horses at night. The Logan trailers come with a 35 gallon tank for horse water in addition to the water inside for the LQ. which I appreciate.

I would look at brands that are readily available in your area. The more trailers of a given make in your area, the more choice you have in what you purchase. I'd probably consider a trailer that was made closer to home for you. It gives you the chance to visit the factory, see reps at trade shows, have warranty work done, buy spare parts etc.

Good luck.

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2009-04-05 4:21 PM (#102785 - in reply to #102758)

Veteran

Thank you for taking the time to give me such good information!!!!

I really like the 4stars, sundowners, Bloomer's, and such, but they're a bit out of range!

I really don't know the advantage or disadvantage of a steel frame with aluminum skin, or all aluminum?

I've checked out the logans too, nice lookin rigs.  I'm going to the midwest horse fair in 2 weeks, I hope to kick a few tires there.  You would think there would be some deals around with the job market so down?  (although I hate to benefit from someone else's troubled times). 

Thanks again, great info!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-04-05 10:46 PM (#102801 - in reply to #102758)

Expert

The ecconmy sucks, but steel, aluminum and other metals as well as other parts of a trailer have not dropped substantially in price.   Go check the price on tires. Are they cheaper this year than last?  I wouldn't expect to find anything outrageous deals.  Dealers only have so much margine to work with.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-04-06 8:23 AM (#102815 - in reply to #102758)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by appy4me on 2009-04-04 9:28 PM

...I've really been looking at the Bison trailers, they are on the lower price end, but is the quality on the lower end too?  I always stick with the saying "you get what you pay for", but I can't pay 50,000 for a trailer! 

Any thoughts, experience???

It would be a LQ trailer, 4 horse too.

While the Bison may appear more affordable now you may end up having to put more $$ into it down the road.  A friend of ours who is an obsessive researcher before making any purchase of any kind did look into the Bison trailers and found them to hold up okay the first couple of years but after that the troubles started.  The aluminum skin is much thinner than most of the other brands and he was able to push a dent into the skin by hand.  Of course, every manufacturer can have a "bad run" but the man of which I am speaking talked to many trailer owners in person and online.

We have an older model 4-star.  We too were on a pretty tight budget.  We bought it used on Horse Trailer World and have been very happy with it.

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-04-06 10:38 AM (#102826 - in reply to #102758)

Extreme Veteran

I would buy an older model all aluminum trailer over a newer aluminum skin.  Our first LQ trailer was a Sundowner all-aluminum which was 5 yrs old and was in very good condition.  We kept that trailer about 3 yrs before trading it in on a new trailer.  We got the $$$ we were asking for this trailer when we traded it.  The all-aluminum trailers seem to hold their value.  We currently own an Exiss Event LQ and have enjoyed camping in it.  We were able to get an all aluminum trailer with the LQ we wanted without having to pay for lots of fancy extras that we did not need.  I would purchase either of these brands again. 

The problem we had when we were looking for another trailer last year was trying to find one within our budget that was not overdone or fancy.  I personally did not need anything with a fireplace or copper sinks.  I needed room for 4 horses; 2 kids and plenty of storage.  Finding a late model used was almost impossible.  They either cost as much as a new one or did not have a floor plan to suit my family.  Only you can decide what is in your budget and the personal wants you have in your next trailer.  For me, it was bunk beds for the kids, a generator, ramp and a trailer to last to next 10 years until my kids graduate from high school.  Universal trailer who makes Exiss and Sooner have been great to work with. I feel we got a quality trailer that we could afford. Good luck in your search.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-04-06 12:33 PM (#102833 - in reply to #102758)

Extreme Veteran

My  last trailer was an Exiss.   The real selling point for me was that I could get the Exiss built to exactly my specifications.  Some of the other manufactures have two or three different floorplans that they mass produce and no or very little customization is possible.  With the Exiss, it was no problem to get exactly what I wanted.  The trailer has held up very well, and the current owner is as pleased with the rig as I was.  When I am ready to hit the road again Exiss will have the opportunity to build my next trailer.

Marla

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-04-06 5:31 PM (#102853 - in reply to #102758)

Expert

Our Exiss Event LQ has held up well under conditions of sitting outside and taking to hunting camp as well as various trail rides in the Ozarks and Ouachitas, Rocky Mountains, and Kiamichi in Oklahoma too.  Can't complain, bought it used for a reasonable price (it has every feature we wanted if we had ordered it)  we really do like it, still! 
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-04-06 7:46 PM (#102868 - in reply to #102758)

Regular

WE have a 2006 Bison 4H W 8 ft short wall, WE LOVE it! It has full living quarters and we have taken it for w/e trips about 40 times, has been to Clinton chuckwagon races 2 yrs (9 days each time), Okie Arkie ride twice, and this is pulling to a new location each day, sometimes on pig trails! We havent had any problems with it at all. I would recommend them!
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-04-06 7:58 PM (#102869 - in reply to #102758)

Elite Veteran

I am curious to the longevity of trailers...the ones that are at least 10 years old. I am curious to where they have been hauled, how many miles they have been hauled, and the pros and cons. Interesting....

Edited by Gone 2009-04-06 8:03 PM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-04-07 10:40 AM (#102893 - in reply to #102758)

Expert

Well, our LQ is an 01, but it has been to California twice, Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma, etc...will let you know more in a few years!
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-04-07 10:48 AM (#102894 - in reply to #102758)

Regular

where in Oklahoma did u go? Do u go to the Chuckwagon races in Clinton AR?
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-04-07 3:04 PM (#102909 - in reply to #102758)

Extreme Veteran

We traded our 2000 Sundowner in 2008.  It was a 3H with a 12' shortwall and a 4' mid-tack.  It was 8' wide and had a blocked axles.  It was 7' tall and had a dropped nose.  We pulled this trailer monthly for camping trips over the 3 yrs we had it.  We live in GA  and traveled many times to the mountains of TN, North Ga and Alabama.  We hauled it down some questionable roads and many interstate miles.  The previous owner of this trailer used it quite a bit; but usually for going to horse shows.  I don't think it saw the rougher road until we purchased it.  It was a great trailer, but we outgrew the sleeping accomodations as our girls got older.

If I was to buy another used all-aluminum I would look for blocked axles and a 7'6" tall and 8' wide.  You get more space in your LQ and horse area.  We also never drug a tank while hauling this trailer.  We ordered blocked axles on our Exiss when we purchased it last year.  Our Exiss also came with small rollers  (2) mounted just under the the back doors.  We did not request this, but these little rollers work great to help from dragging over low spots and especially over RR crossings.  I don't know if this is something that can be added to any trailer, but it's a really neat idea and works great.  The other thing our Sundowner had that we did not really like was the axles were set really far back.  It made it very hard to turn and back into tight campsites.  Aside from that it was a great trailer and we learned a lot about what we would want when we did purchase our next one. 

Bat1
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-04-07 8:14 PM (#102930 - in reply to #102758)

Whatever you do, don't buy a Trails West, they won't stand behind them.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-04-07 9:06 PM (#102931 - in reply to #102758)

Expert

yep to Clinton several times, park over down at Soutfork.  Clinton is the Cowboy Rendevous ... the western woodstock, of all time!

Oklahoma, ... Clayton to some friends, Robbers Cave, Cedar Lake, friends over in the east part by Westville...

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-04-08 12:35 PM (#102955 - in reply to #102909)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by tom-tom on 2009-04-07 3:04 PM

We traded our 2000 Sundowner in 2008.  It was a 3H with a 12' shortwall and a 4' mid-tack.  It was 8' wide and had a blocked axles.  It was 7' tall and had a dropped nose.  We pulled this trailer monthly for camping trips over the 3 yrs we had it.  We live in GA  and traveled many times to the mountains of TN, North Ga and Alabama.  We hauled it down some questionable roads and many interstate miles.  The previous owner of this trailer used it quite a bit; but usually for going to horse shows.  I don't think it saw the rougher road until we purchased it.  It was a great trailer, but we outgrew the sleeping accomodations as our girls got older.

If I was to buy another used all-aluminum I would look for blocked axles and a 7'6" tall and 8' wide.  You get more space in your LQ and horse area.  We also never drug a tank while hauling this trailer.  We ordered blocked axles on our Exiss when we purchased it last year.  Our Exiss also came with small rollers  (2) mounted just under the the back doors.  We did not request this, but these little rollers work great to help from dragging over low spots and especially over RR crossings.  I don't know if this is something that can be added to any trailer, but it's a really neat idea and works great.  The other thing our Sundowner had that we did not really like was the axles were set really far back.  It made it very hard to turn and back into tight campsites.  Aside from that it was a great trailer and we learned a lot about what we would want when we did purchase our next one. 

The rollers are a great idea and they can be mounted on any trailer. I had rollers installed on my exiss both under the rear ramp and about mid-way between the gooseneck and the axles. Never got hung up on rr tracks or gas station ramps. Marla

Edited by Marla 2009-04-08 12:37 PM
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-04-09 4:27 AM (#102992 - in reply to #102758)

Regular

WE love Clinton! Cant ever see the time we wont be there every year. We park either on up on Snowy River hill or Buffalo Rock area, depending on the weather. FYI we have family down in Jonesboro and would love to take the horses down that way to camp but we dont know of any place to ride down there close.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-04-09 7:01 PM (#103062 - in reply to #102758)

Expert

Will check and see, Camp Robinson is maybe somewhat close, or maybe Village Creek campground?

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-04-10 10:31 AM (#103118 - in reply to #102758)

Elite Veteran

I have a 03 Exiss  Event that I bought used. I knew the previous owner, so I knew the trailer..This is my 2nd Exiss first with full LQ. I have never had a problem with either one. If I was buying again I probably will go back with the Exiss. They are good trailers for the money. I think that the sundowners are over priced.jmo
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2009-04-12 5:19 PM (#103233 - in reply to #102758)

Veteran

JMHO Ya get what YA PAY FOR TOO.We bought new Sundowner in 1999 and than moved up to bigger lvnqs and bought another Sundowner(used 1999 Sundowner Siesta) loaded with everything could need/want.Sold 6 year old trailer for $2000. less than paid for it after using it 6 years.We took really good care of trailer and since trailer didn't show wear and tear quality hows up and sales.We ran trailer around IL.IA,WI,IN and MO. quality trailers will hold value as long as keep up reg maintance and clean etc.We like large windows in bed area for air flow and floorplans and large stall widths Sundowner makes plus quality installed livingquartes.Recently bought small gn trailer for vet trips and dayrides and looked at Hart and 4 Star and ended up with Sundowner.
SarahR
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-04-13 7:15 PM (#103308 - in reply to #102758)

We have a 2003 Logan 3H LQ trailer and love it. My only complaint is they don't have an 'off road' version as we have damaged it several times by taking it off good roads. Luckily my husband is good at fixing it :) Other than that it's a solid well-made trailer and the LQ part iis laid out very well and is really comfortable. We've spent up to 5 weeks at a time in it, it's truely our second home :)

Sarah
www.fourcornerstrails.com
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2009-04-15 12:56 PM (#103410 - in reply to #102758)

Extreme Veteran

I have a '92 Featherlite(bought new) that I still love. It's been a dream. I didn't get a LQ with it, so just camp primitively. It probably has 80 -100K mi, but that's just a guess. I keep looking at new trailers, and though they look great, sparkly, and shiny, I can't see anything I really need/want that I don't already have. One thought about checking how older trailers last, is that sometimes the quality changes with the years. I don't know if mgmt changes, design changes, or what. I think you need to look around at what's available now in your price range, verify structural integrity, warranty issues and take the plunge. Good luck!
Noonmark
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-04-16 3:55 PM (#103485 - in reply to #102758)

The Bisons do fall apart and several people over the past two years have posted major problems with them.  They have very thin roofs and sidewalls attached by tape, they are not well put together at all.  The floors are tack welded on.  Currrently you cannot get warranty work done on a Bison.  I would choose a major mfg that stands behind their products.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-04-19 1:41 PM (#103610 - in reply to #102758)

Extreme Veteran

I've had two Bison AlumaSport trailers. The first was an '03 that was a great trailer. Unfortunately, I managed to wreck it. So, I bought an '05. I've had good luck with Bison. Been to Colorado, Wyoming, SD, ohio, Kentucky, PA, Tenn and Ark with them. Went down some rough roads that are better just talked about, not driven. Whenever I needed parts or repairs, they were quick to help. The warrantee is 3 years head to tail and they stand behind it.

Do they hold up for 10 years? Can't answer. But my current one is now 4 years old and going strong.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-04-19 2:12 PM (#103611 - in reply to #102758)

Elite Veteran

A new trailer should last more than ten years without any major issues. They are not cheap. I guess my expectations are high.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)