'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Eco-nuts strike again!!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-27 11:47 PM
25 replies, 7035 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-07-20 7:32 PM (#87781)
Subject: Eco-nuts strike again!!

Extreme Veteran

Trying to plan for a fall riding trip with friends, we thought we'd like to return to Cherokee Trail Ride in Alabama.  We went there a couple years ago and just had a wonderful time.

I went to the website  http://www.cherokeetrailrides.com/  and there is a notice at the top of the home page that the camp is closed because the wildlife management is no longer allowing horses!!!!

I AM SOOOO MAD!!!

I also feel bad for the family who ran the camp.  They had relocated there and had worked so hard to spruce things up.

GGRRRRRR 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-07-20 9:44 PM (#87792 - in reply to #87781)
Subject: RE: Eco-nuts strike again!!

Veteran

Stinkin tree huggers

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-07-20 10:48 PM (#87797 - in reply to #87792)

Expert

There are folks who would prefer that we never take horses on public lands. This is  why it's so important to be involved in some sort of organization that supports our horse interest. You choose the organization that supports those interest in your area.

It is also important that when you use a trail ( especially on Forest Service or BLM lands) that you sign the log book at the trail head. The government agencies justify funding and land use based on WHO uses and HOW MANY people use those trails. It's often an inconviences to get off the horse and sign a log book. But please do.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-07-21 12:41 PM (#87825 - in reply to #87781)

Elite Veteran

This is happening at an alarming rate. Current River area in MO is being threatened right now. What I can't get some hikers and tree huggers to understand is that true trail riders help clear and maintain the trails and do not throw beer cans/bottles/trash on to the ground. I will stop and get off my horse to pick up trash along the trail to ensure the continued use of it not to mention preserving the beauty of the forest. It's not just trail riders that I seen abuse the land - hiker, mountain biker, ATVers too. It's too bad that a few rotten apples spoil the large majority of conscientious folks privileges.

Look at Shawnee Nat'l forest. Miles of trails have been closed to trail riders and are now so over grown that not even hikers can use them. I frequently write my congressman and senator on the issue of leaving public lands for public use.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-07-21 5:58 PM (#87849 - in reply to #87781)

The following is the reply I received from Alabama

Why horses have been excluded from public lands while hunting and atvs are still allowed

Horses are allowed on many public lands including the Walls of Jericho, Shoal Creek, the Wehle Land Conservation Center and more. Please call our state lands office at 334-242-3484 for more information on where horseback riding is allowed.

Kim G. Nix
Outdoor Alabama
Dept. of Conservation
64 N. Union St. Ste. 106
Montgomery, AL 36130

Phone: 334-242-3157
Fax: 334-242-1880

www.outdooralabama.com

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 12:20 AM (#87876 - in reply to #87849)

Expert

"They" are great at not answering quiestions, aren't they?
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 6:44 AM (#87879 - in reply to #87781)

Extreme Veteran

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. The hunters and ATV riders have a much larger coalition to voice their opinions concerning public lands. If the equestrian associations would band together and lobby for the right to use public lands, their influence would also be felt. The other side of the coin IS the trash, beer bottles and cans, that are deposited alongside the public trails. Back in February, wife and I were doing our volunteer trail work for the USFS when we came across a couple also picking up trash. They were from the Kansas City area and had come to Texas to ride. They were members of the Backcountry organization and said it was part of their creed to leave trails cleaner than they found them. We were VERY impressed. Public trails need more people of this caliber instead of the "Bubbas" who could care less. And yes, I'm a tree hugger.
goethetrail
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-07-22 11:36 AM (#87906 - in reply to #87781)

that's why we need to attend and support trail conferences like http://www.southeasternequestriantrails.com/  This year it is in Charleston, SC..next week!!!!

If you can't make it this year, we are hosting it in Gainesville FL next July 2009....click here for a preview http://www.geocities.com/goetheforest/volunteer.html

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 2:41 PM (#87928 - in reply to #87879)

Expert

Longrider.  I'm no tree hugger, but I agree.  I HATE people that throw trash on the ground.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-07-23 6:22 AM (#88006 - in reply to #87781)

Extreme Veteran

I also hate to see litter on the trails.  I don't even throw down cigarette butts, just stick them in my back pocket until I get back to camp.  I return from nearly every ride with several pieces of other people's trash in my saddle bag.

All trailriders are "tree-huggers" of a sort.  We go to the forests because we love to be surrounded by nature.  Riding the roads or through pastures just doesn't cut it.  We want to see the trees and wildflowers, big rock formations, caves, rocky creeks and waterfalls, birds, deer, turkey...  I could go on and on.

And why is it assumed that trailriders are the only trail users leaving trash???? 

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-07-23 7:38 AM (#88016 - in reply to #87781)

Veteran

Dwight-I would see if I could find out why horses are no longer allowed.  It could be a reason such as the trails not being safe for horses.  Here in North Texas we have trails around Benbrook Lake and we have a local group that works VERY hard to keep them safe and clean, but there are many times that they cannot use them due to flooding, so maybe it could be something like that?  I'm with you-litterbugs are, to quote, a boil on the butt of humanity.  I can't stand it when I see people just throwing their trash out the window from their car. You don't sh*t where you eat...some people just don't get it.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-07-23 7:43 AM (#88018 - in reply to #88006)

Expert

It's not just trail riders. It's everybody who uses the area.

Last week I rode 9 miles into the Uinta High Wilderness.  It was a tough 9 miles in. The only way to get there was by horse or hiking.

I found a camp, probably from last fall/summer.  I could see where they had tied their horses to the trees. They left the ropes hanging off the trees. Part of a blue tarp was laying there. two old lawn chairs, and bunch of aluminum tent poles. Along with some empty cans and other small garbage. First off I know this was a horsecamper.  No hiker hauls that kind of stuff in on his back, Plus I could see the evidence of horses where they had been tied to the trees. So why leave that kind of garbage in the mountains?  The only thing I could think of was that they shot a big elk and had to use one of their pack horses to haul the meat out and didn't have enough room left to haul the other stuff. And it appears they didn't want to make the return trip to pick up what they considered expendable. Maybe a bad storm pushed them out in a hurry and some of the stuff got covered in the snow and just forgotten. But it left a mess.

In another wilderness area, a plane had crashed years ago. A fellow came in with a pack train of mules and loaded up all the debris from the plane crash that had layed on the mountain for years and hauled it out. I appreciate his efforts.  I don't know his motivation. whether he just wanted to see it cleaned up, was paid by the Forest Service to do it, or just wanted to sell the metal for scrap.  But it's all gone now and we just tell the story to new comers about a wrecked plane laid there for years.

The point is some folks go the extra mile, some don't, but we all live with the results

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-07-23 9:46 AM (#88038 - in reply to #87781)

Extreme Veteran

Everyone's correct. It's not just trail riders but all users of the trails. And as Dwight said, it makes all of us an honorary tree hugger when we try to protect those trails from trash and refuse.
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-07-23 9:49 PM (#88137 - in reply to #87781)

Veteran

Sorry, but I don't consider trail riders tree huggers.  A tree hugger isn't someone that loves the outdoors, we all have that in common, I'm talking about those extreme people that don't want ANYTHING using the forest. 

It's sad in Shawnee, so many trails have been cutoff.  And YES, it was due to extreme types of people.  I agree with keeping the trails clean, and no litter.  My 9 year old and I play a game called "trail or trash", we see who can clean up the most.  We feel lucky if neither wins

Good idea about signing in for the trails, not all the places I ride have that. 

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-07-23 10:00 PM (#88140 - in reply to #87781)

Extreme Veteran

If wanting clean air, clean water, and pristine wilderness to restore my soul means that I am a tree-hugger, then I proudly accept the honor.  But like everyone else here, I would like to stomp the hide off those who do not respect our public lands.  I too believe in leaving a camp site cleaner than I found it, and would much rather see a pile of horse apples than a coors can on the trail.

Marla

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-07-24 6:49 AM (#88162 - in reply to #87781)

Extreme Veteran

Very well stated, Marla.  Those are exactly my sentiments.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-07-24 8:14 AM (#88167 - in reply to #87781)

Veteran

The old commercials stated it best:

Take nothing but pictures.

Leave nothing but footprints.

And for the Texas trail riders:

Don't mess with Texas!!

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-07-24 9:25 AM (#88171 - in reply to #87781)

Elite Veteran

I think that most of the "eco-nuts" probably live in town. I am always amazed at how the hiker/bikers leave their campsites after a weekend out. three weeks ago, we rode down at buffalo river in Arkansas. We were riding down a gorgeous trail near Hemmed in Hollow when we saw an enormous pile of human crap!! followed by several piles of toilet paper strewn accross about an eighth mile!!! There were BOY SCOUTS camping there!!!!!!!!!!!I would like to give them and their leader a BIG enema!! I wish we could get pics of them in action. That these people are threatening our trails just makes me crazy(er).
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-24 11:08 AM (#88175 - in reply to #88171)

Expert

Well,let me ask: just where DO you "do"? Because I've had that happen to me,and I guarantee I'm going to use TP.I take a WalMart bag with me with the TP inside now just in case tho.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-07-24 12:46 PM (#88180 - in reply to #87781)

Extreme Veteran

There was a great book I saw in our local USFS station, and I laughed! It's called "How to s**t in the woods", The ranger looked at me funny, and I told her I was laughing at the book. She goes, "well I believe horses should bury their manure or the rider at least get off and bury it in a hole", and I go, yeah, well so should the bears!!!!!!!!!!  LOL!!!!!!! Maybe a bear wrote that book...........LOL!!!
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-07-25 5:11 AM (#88233 - in reply to #87781)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you Cowpony!!!  That's what I have said also...bears, deer, bobcats...they all s**t in the woods.  I accidentally found some hiker's blog one time and he was going on and on about what a horrendous mess the horses made on "his" trails.  I really wanted to ask him where he thought all the woodland critters did their business.

Incidentally, I have also seen that book.  I came across an ad for it while doing a search for some sort of potty for my trailer.  I laughed so hard I spit sweet tea all over the computer screen!

CRG -  On the rare occasions when I have had to "do" my business in the woods, I scoop out a hole in the ground with the heel of my boot and deposit all evidence in it.  TP and poo can also be burned, but this is obviously not a good idea during the dry season.

Edited by Dwight 2008-07-25 5:14 AM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-07-25 9:23 AM (#88254 - in reply to #87781)

I am disappointed at Boy Scounts not knowing/practicing proper primitive camping technique. Back in the dark ages when I was one, Girl Scouts were taught proper primitive camping manners, and same were enforced by the leaders. Personally, I believe manners should be taught and enforced just like our horses teach the youngsters so........ Maybe a bit more formality (etiquette) in our society would be a good thing....
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-07-25 12:36 PM (#88265 - in reply to #88254)

Veteran

I am sad to see the Cherokee camp closed. I was planning a visit this fall when it would be cooler and the trees turning.

However........I can see the State's position as well.

I grew up in that area and used to hunt the WMA long before any horse camp was around. It is steep hills, streams and valleys, which with alot of horse traffic on the trail will lead to major errosion of the soil, and eventually no passable trail. Alabama Game an Fish Dept does not allow any ATV traffic on this WMA except on paved roads. Plus there is hunting season to consider......samll game opens in August with Deer bow season in October I believe, gun in November on thru Feb. 

I dont know what arrangment the owner had with the state as to maintance of the trails, but it takes alot of work to prevent the errosion. We have a local group here in Memphis who asked the state for permission to re-open equestrian trails in a state park that had been closed for several years. 

3 years later, after having an environmental study done, the state says OK ...IF....you build the trails like this, build this bridge like that, gravel here and there, parking lot, have plans and equipment for continous maintaince, you can build it. Only cost $100K for the first year............

I dont like it either, but alot of horse traffic will disrupt the landscape, unless there is a maintence plan.

Edited by Ike 2008-07-25 5:28 PM
Tuffyspop
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-25 6:43 PM (#88285 - in reply to #87781)

Regular

We took a proactive stance on ensuring our equestrian trails are open for our use.  We joined our local Back Country Horseman organization, and adopted our local State Park as our home base, taking responsibilty for policing the trails, making improvements, and more importantly, riding in "official" vests and reporting on misuse of trails (i.e. specific horse-folk going "off trail" for their amusement).

We participate with the Park Ranger, the Conservation Department, partner with the hiker groups and other multi-use participants to ensure the trails are kept nice and our "footprint" is minimal.

This year, it's been kind of difficult with all the rain, muck, and mud, but repair work will keep things headed in the right direction.

I think it takes partnership and participation, building good relationships with the cognizant "owners" of the land.

Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-07-26 9:03 PM (#88340 - in reply to #87781)

Veteran

Tuffyspop is right on.  Here is a park, smack dab in the middle of Memphis that allows private horseback riding.

Shelby Farms Equestrian Alliance has done the things Tuffyspop outlines and has a good relationship with the local gov. who run the park.  We spend alot of time and energy maintaining the trails, not only for horses but for hikers and bikers too.

Unfortunatedly our web page is down, so here is the gov webpage for the park.

http://www.shelbycountytn.gov/FirstPortal/dotShowDoc/Government/CountyServices/PublicWorks/ShelbyFarms_index.htm

Then again ....these things might have no bearing on the WMA in ALA....might be for safety for the upcoming hunting season.

Edited by Ike 2008-07-26 9:08 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)