'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
MIley Trailers

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-03 5:41 PM
25 replies, 13219 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ck81392
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-05 10:48 PM (#47922)
Subject: MIley Trailers

New User

Hey everyone. I am new here, but had an urgent question - has anyone heard of Miley Trailers? I haven;t seen any ont he road, but found one that I like, new, but it seems underpriced. I was just wondering if this was a reliable brand or not. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!!! Also appreciated would be brands that you have found to be reliable over the years. I need to find a trailer in the next few eeks, but want to do as much research as I can. Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ck81392
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 7:32 AM (#47937 - in reply to #47922)
Subject: RE: MIley Trailers

New User

I am assuming from thelack of input that mot much info is out there about Miley trailers....
sonysgirl
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 8:31 AM (#47939 - in reply to #47922)

Hey there--welcome to the forum--I am new on here as well!!   I am having kind of the same problem that you are---trying to find a brand of reliable horse trailer....I had been checking out the Ponderosa trailers---if you will checkout my thread named Ponderosa Gooseneck Trailers, you will see what people have told me about that brand...Right now I am checking into the Delta brand---have had several people tell me that they are made well & not over priced...Don't know if you are looking for alum or steel--I am guessing steel--there is a really nice two horse straight load that a guy e mailed me about today---brand new--has never had a horse in it--you can take a look at it on his web site--seems to be priced pretty well--  www.west40ranches.com --go to equipment & you will see it.  It is too long for us--we are looking for one that is no longer than 17' including the gooseneck....Have never heard of the trailer brand you spoke of--neither has a good friend of mine that has dealt with horses & trailers for years--I will keep asking around though & see what i can find out for ya...have a great one & good luck!!
Ck81392
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 8:36 AM (#47940 - in reply to #47922)
Subject: Sundowners/Was Miley trailers

New User

Thanks much for

our reply! I have already decided that the Miley trailers are just way underpriced...it kind of worries me. Sooo....I am now asking what everyone thinks of Sundowners, particularly a 2 horse, straight load with a small dressing room. They ae a little out of my range, but I am sure I can try to manage somehow....
statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 8:57 AM (#47942 - in reply to #47922)

Veteran

My wife and I recently purchased our first new trailer, I looked at a ton of them before we settled on one. One of them in the running was a Miley- the cheap one with the stock sides covered in plexiglass (no drop down windows). Not sure how it hauls, but it seemed to be a well built trailer, but we had the same problem with it we did with a couple other galvaneal trailers:
Lots of rust. On trailers that were "new". Nice coat of orange film on the rubber mats. Same problem with the S&H and Titan. Ended up getting a Featherlite STL- no rust to be found on it anywhere except the latches. It is painted steel, but seems to me as though the Featherlite painting process if far superior to the galvaneal on the cheap trailers. Also the corrugated sides on the STL trailer seem very very strong compared to the S&H and Titan (both about the same price as the Miley- I don't remember checking for trailer side wall flex on it). The S&H had a little bit of give to the side walls, the Titan seemed paper thin and very weak. Probably fine for an average horse, but my 1800lb monster would have bowed out the sides of the Titan with a single lean...
Also be very concious of trailer weight. The Titan only has 3500lb axles, yet the trailer empty weighs in at 4400... That only leaves 3100lbs for 3 horses and tack! The STL trailer on the other hand only weighs 3200, yet feels much more solid. The Miley we looked at had 5200lb axles I believe, but not sure if that was an added option or not.

The Miley was the nicest of the "cheap" galvaneal trailers, but it was also the most expensive by several hundred. Those are just my thoughts having looked at a ton of trailers in the last 8 months.

We also looked at Corn Pro (too bulky and heavy looking- farm equipment not horse trailer!) and Moritz. The Moritz was about the same price as the Featherlite and not as nice, more "stock trailer" feel to it.

We also drooled over a Hawk warmblood model that I wish we could afford. Some day!

Cheers!
~Kevin
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 9:05 AM (#47943 - in reply to #47922)

Veteran

If you go to the search on this site and type "sundowner", you can see several threads where different trailers are compared. It should give you some good insight.
sonysgirl
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 9:39 AM (#47945 - in reply to #47922)

I am afraid that i may have steered you in the wrong direction---a friend of mine just told me that if at all possible, stay away from the "straight load" trailers--she says that the slant loads are easier to pull & are alot safer....I am still a rookie at all this, so I am soaking up things like a sponge hehehehehe

Sundowner trailers---every time i see one---I need a bib---they are nice trailers--so are the Exiss.....way of my price range, but MAN.....they are nice---

Bumper pulls I will not have anything to do with EVER-My uncle in Texas had a bumper pull trailer that came loose on an interstate--& needless to say, ended up putting BOTH horses down---I know that probably is just a freak accident, but I just don't trust them---he lost a very valueable palomino stallion in that accident...not something that i will ever risk with my horses---See ya!

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 10:03 AM (#47948 - in reply to #47922)

Veteran

Strictly my opinion, Sundowners have nice bells and whistles but you pay for them. I wouldn't own an Exiss. Walk through one and you will notice the whole trailer shakes;especially the Sports model.

Have you looked through the used trailers on this site. There are some great trailers within your price range.

3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 10:45 AM (#47955 - in reply to #47940)
Subject: RE: Sundowners/Was Miley trailers

Regular

Hello, If you are thinking about a Sundowner, you are on the right track...yes I sell them and I believe that once you step into the Sundowner, it is easy to see why they are one of the best...yes you are right they are alittle more, but it is like anything else in this world, you get what you pay for....I would love the opportunity to talk to you about Sundowner trailers....I will be open minded and help you in any way I can....Please IM me if you get a chance...Thank you for your time.....
Rik
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-06 11:18 AM (#47961 - in reply to #47940)

Regular

Originally written by Ck81392 on 2006-09-06 8:36 AM

Thanks much for our reply! I have already decided that the Miley trailers are just way underpriced...it kind of worries me. Sooo....I am now asking what everyone thinks of Sundowners, particularly a 2 horse, straight load with a small dressing room. They ae a little out of my range, but I am sure I can try to manage somehow....

This is what we tow and it's a great trailer. It's three years old now, and outside of an LED going out (replaced on warranty), there has been nothing else to note. Everything works as it's supposed to and we've never had any problems with horses trailering in it. It's just been a solid trailer through and through. I wouldn't hesitate purchasing another.
As for the staying away from a straight-load BP, to each their own, you'll get plenty of opinions. But if they were that inherently dangerous, I would think the marketplace would reject them and they wouldn't be making them any more.

Edited by Rik 2006-09-06 11:29 AM
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 11:29 AM (#47964 - in reply to #47922)

Veteran

I don't want to start a debate but as a woman pulling a trailer alone; I love the gooseneck. It is always right there behind me through curves, hills etc. I always felt like the BP was weaving. It probably wasn't but I never felt good about it. I know of 3 people who have had accidents with BP but it is just which type of trailer you feel good about when you are hauling.

My original GN was a WW and I thought it was a great trailer at a reasonable price. I now am on my second 4-Star and I am sold on it.

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 11:37 AM (#47966 - in reply to #47922)

Veteran

As someone who has been around a long time, I can tell you that in the 1960's, and early 70's, Miley made a very well constructed trailer. They were based in California, as I recall. I did not know they were still manufactured. Learning the history and resurgence of the name would be interesting. I have no idea of the current quality. So much for my history lesson :)!

Brenda 

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-06 11:43 AM (#47968 - in reply to #47964)

Expert

Originally written by arlene21 on 2006-09-06 12:29 PM

I don't want to start a debate but as a woman pulling a trailer alone; I love the gooseneck. It is always right there behind me through curves, hills etc. I always felt like the BP was weaving. It probably wasn't but I never felt good about it. I know of 3 people who have had accidents with BP but it is just which type of trailer you feel good about when you are hauling.

My original GN was a WW and I thought it was a great trailer at a reasonable price. I now am on my second 4-Star and I am sold on it.

theres no reason to debate, you stated your opinon, not that bp are dangerous. but what does you being a woman have to do with it? isnt that a little "reverse sexism"?
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 11:55 AM (#47970 - in reply to #47922)

Veteran

You are right, gender shouldn't figure into the equation. I just feel safer pulling a GN, that's personal, not gender. I pulled a 2 horse BP for years but I never felt comfortable coming home from shows in the middle of the night on dark, winding, narrow roads.

SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 1:58 PM (#47978 - in reply to #47961)

Veteran

Hey Rik - Glad to see someone else from CT here.  Are you saying you have a Sundowner trailer?  If so, where did you buy it?  I'm having limited success finding dealers in our area.  So far I've gone to a dealer in Northford that specializes in Bison and Featherlite - Neither one is exactly what I want, but the Featherlite was very decent ($$$).  Then I was off to RI to look at Hawks and Exiss - I was pretty pleased with the Hawk brand.  Lastly I hope to get up to Whately MA this weekend to look at Kingston,. 

Thanks all for the lively discussion in this thread - I heartily concur with the earlier remarks about the cheaper steel (Galvaneal) trailer... the ones I've seen have started rusting the moment they left the factory.  THese were 2007 Bisons, were just delivered the day before I looked at them, and there was already several areas where rust was very apparent.  I'm sure it will be aluminum skin for me. 

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-09-06 2:07 PM (#47979 - in reply to #47922)

Elite Veteran

I pulled a 1958 model Miley trailer for 30 years, if that tells you anything!!  Replaced the floor several times, and repainted twice.  The welds were strong and it pulled like a dream.  I'm glad they're back.
Rik
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-06 3:01 PM (#47984 - in reply to #47978)

Regular

Originally written by SHMANN on 2006-09-06 1:58 PM

Hey Rik - Glad to see someone else from CT here. Are you saying you have a Sundowner trailer? If so, where did you buy it? I'm having limited success finding dealers in our area. So far I've gone to a dealer in Northford that specializes in Bison and Featherlite - Neither one is exactly what I want, but the Featherlite was very decent ($$$). Then I was off to RI to look at Hawks and Exiss - I was pretty pleased with the Hawk brand. Lastly I hope to get up to Whately MA this weekend to look at Kingston,.

Yes, my wife and I have a Sundowner 777 2-horse straight-load BP with DR. I got it at the dealer you're going to in Whately (Orchard). Action in Danbury also has Sundowners, but I don't think anyone more local to you has them.You should pick up a Horseman's Yankee Pedlar or a Stead Read and check out the trailer ads - there's plenty of them. I think Stead Read is free and distributed at many local barns and tack shops in the area.
Ck81392
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-06 11:34 PM (#48019 - in reply to #47922)
Subject: Sundowners/4-Star

New User

Well, I like both of these trailers. Hopefully I will be able to go down to QH Congress and look for myself. I definitely like the WERM flooring on the new 4-Stars,though...
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-07 7:14 AM (#48021 - in reply to #47922)

Extreme Veteran

The original question was about the Miley brand.  Mileys were very well made, and heavy, trailers that were at the top of the pile for years.  The company itself is long gone now, although a few old trailers surface now and then, lasting this long because they were built so well, with LOTS of steel.  My understanding is that the name was purchased or maybe just acquired by Universal Trailers, and assigned to a line of two and three horse slant bumper pulls.  Mr. Trailer will have the straight stuff.  Please correct me if needed.
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-07 1:44 PM (#48055 - in reply to #47984)

Veteran

Thanks Rik - I'll check them out when I'm up at Orchard.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-07 2:17 PM (#48061 - in reply to #47922)

Extreme Veteran

I had a 1970 Miley, got it for my 16th birthday as a present. I towed it from shang hi to shang low and got the best out of it!!! I sold it to move up to a gooseneck as I am always camping and needed more room. I see alot of them sitting in fields in the valleys, they'll be around for a long time, even the old timers (old trailers that is!)
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-08 7:14 PM (#48154 - in reply to #48021)

Veteran

It wasn't hard Google this one >>>>>

http://www.mileytrailers.com/

From the website:

"El Reno, Oklahoma -- Universal Trailer Horse/Livestock Group announces the launch of its newest product in the horse and livestock market – Miley. A well-known industry brand – Miley’s legend returns to the marketplace this month.. By acquiring the rights to the Miley name UTC brings back to the marketplace a well-known product that has been historically recognized as a national name brand. With a reputation noted for quality, user-friendly features and dependability, the Miley brand will be UTC’s entry in a broad segment of retail price points that range from $6,000 to $15,000."

Edited by arroyoseccofarm 2006-09-08 7:20 PM
Swartz Trailer Sales
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-09-10 10:10 PM (#48255 - in reply to #47922)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Miley is a Aluminum  skin trailer.And just wondering how rust spots get on the floor mats inside the trailer. The galvanneal trailers have a galvanneal skin.It is not the frame,so if it is not taken care of it will rust just like anything else made of steel.It all comes down to how well you take care of things to make them last.S&H has a double walled trailer with a kick plate and rubbermating on the inside,Alot of trailers have this.The 3 Horse weighs in around 3700 pounds and is made with 16 gauge steel with #5200 axles and we have sold alot of them and no problems with it being floppy.As far as Titan I think they do fairly good also.The customers I deal with are usually pricing back and forth  with us and Titan.I can't knock either of them
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-09-10 10:29 PM (#48262 - in reply to #47922)

Veteran

Had a old Miley 2 horse steel was 1960s model.We traded it in on 2006 Sundowner 2 horse slant load with dressing room.Miley had made quality trailers.We looked at all trailers at Indiana Horse Fair an went with Sundowner again.We have 3 horse full living quarters Sundowner Siesta.Only trailer would never buy is Exiss totally cheaply made on undercarriage twice as far apart on beams.They are not gonna last at all.Best of luck on trailer hunting.Do look at used so many on market now with job losses etc.
Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-11 10:21 PM (#48359 - in reply to #47922)

Veteran

I have a 2004 S&H 2 horse bumper pull with the "galvanneal" frame.  It pulls great (no swaying) and is solid and strong.  My trailer sits outside in all 4 seasons of weather and does not have one speck of rust on it.  I think S&H makes a very nice product and I would buy another one. 
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)