'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tire blow outs

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-26 8:46 AM
25 replies, 7371 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-07 12:46 PM (#44207)
Subject: Tire blow outs

Extreme Veteran

This Monday on my way back from Platter Flats, OK I had my second blow out on my horse trailer. I had a blow out coming back from the Houston Live Stock show earlier this year. Both times the tread came off. The thing in common was that it was hot, and I had been going 65 mph for over 45 minutes. The brand of tire was the Carlisle Trail-something, a D rated tire. The tires that blew out where on the same side of the trailer, but different axles. So I replaced all the tires with UniRoyal Laredo E rated tires this week. ($$$ - ouch). When it blew the tire took out the brake wiring on that side of the trailer, so I didn't have any brakes on the trailer for about 60 miles. Lucky for me, my hubby is very handy and was able to fix my brake wiring for me for about $10 in wire and splices.

The tires correctly inflated, and had like new tread on them.

One of the guys from the ride that was about 20 minutes behind me stopped and changed the tire for me. Good thing. I could get the tire off, taped up the torn up wiring, but for the life of me, I could not lift the new tire up onto the hub. I wonder if there is some kind of gizmo to help us weaker ladies lift a tire when needed? Coming back from Houston, a good looking Cowboy stopped and changed the tire for me, but I might not be so lucky next time. I think I'm going to invest in US Rider, sure would hate to be stuck by the side of the road with no one to lift a tire for me.:-) A friend told me that they had to replaced all the tires on their new trailer because of blow outs also. If I ever buy another trailer I think I'll make sure it has good E rated tires on it.

I carry a trailer helper and a star wrench, both a must have, I think.

-Betty
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-07 2:34 PM (#44217 - in reply to #44207)
Subject: RE: Tire blow outs

Elite Veteran

US Rider is fantastic - I urge you to get it ASAP.  course the tow truck drivers might not be as good lookin' as the cowboys....

My dad gave me a pipe that fits over the star wrench handles to provide more leverage.  It really works great in loosing up the luge nuts that are too tight to get loose otherwise.

As far as lifting tires, if ya lift bags of feed & bales of hay I'm surprised you can't lift/roll tires...  eat yer wheaties girl!!

Edited by Dunoir 2006-07-07 2:36 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-07 3:05 PM (#44218 - in reply to #44207)

Expert

Originally written by bjhouten on 2006-07-07 12:46 PM

This Monday on my way back from Platter Flats, OK I had my second blow out on my horse trailer. I had a blow out coming back from the Houston Live Stock show earlier this year. Both times the tread came off. The thing in common was that it was hot, and I had been going 65 mph for over 45 minutes. The brand of tire was the Carlisle Trail-something, a D rated tire. The tires that blew out where on the same side of the trailer, but different axles. So I replaced all the tires with UniRoyal Laredo E rated tires this week. ($$$ - ouch). When it blew the tire took out the brake wiring on that side of the trailer, so I didn't have any brakes on the trailer for about 60 miles. Lucky for me, my hubby is very handy and was able to fix my brake wiring for me for about $10 in wire and splices.

The tires correctly inflated, and had like new tread on them.

One of the guys from the ride that was about 20 minutes behind me stopped and changed the tire for me. Good thing. I could get the tire off, taped up the torn up wiring, but for the life of me, I could not lift the new tire up onto the hub. I wonder if there is some kind of gizmo to help us weaker ladies lift a tire when needed? Coming back from Houston, a good looking Cowboy stopped and changed the tire for me, but I might not be so lucky next time. I think I'm going to invest in US Rider, sure would hate to be stuck by the side of the road with no one to lift a tire for me.:-) A friend told me that they had to replaced all the tires on their new trailer because of blow outs also. If I ever buy another trailer I think I'll make sure it has good E rated tires on it.

I carry a trailer helper and a star wrench, both a must have, I think.

-Betty

ONE way that works for me when I have a heavy wheel (e.g. my tractor's 17.5 inch wide tire) is to roll it around until one stud does poke through.
I put a nut on that just to hold it and then wedge my foot under the tire and roll it up onto my foot, a bit more jiggling and the rest of the studs poke through. It helps a LOT if you have the axle only just high enough to get the wheel on, which is hard to judge when you push or pull the trailer's good wheel up a ramp (or "trailer helper")to change the other one.

This method works pretty well in work boots, sneakers maybe, in sling back sandals it would probably be be ouchy (-:
I don't often see horse women in high heels anyway, unless they're cowPERSON boots.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-07 3:10 PM (#44219 - in reply to #44207)

Expert

I can lift the tire on to the hub, but as you found out, it's darned heavy.  I have a large screwdriver that I lay across a chunk of wood under the hub.  Like a seesaw, I roll the tire onto the screwdriver and step on the other end.  I then have both hands free to guide the tire onto the hub.  Sometimes, I have to wrestle the tire a bit to rotate it, to line up with the lug bolts.

Hope something similar works for you.

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-07-07 3:22 PM (#44221 - in reply to #44207)

Extreme Veteran

I worked a very similar claim when I was in the insurance business a few years back.  One of our insured's had a blow out just like what you were describing on a enclosed trailer.  It did extensive damage to his trailer though.  I am almost certain that he had Carlisle tires.  The reason being is that he had two separate blow outs with them and I swore to never have any on a trailer of mine.  After I looked into the claim, I discovered that they were manufactured by Goodyear at the time.  I contacted Goodyear and took the tires to a local dealer to be picked up and inspected.  They paid for new tires and the damage to the trailer and the other vehicles that were involved in the debris from the blowout.  You might want to check into this in case there is some way to be reimbursed.
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-07-07 7:01 PM (#44240 - in reply to #44207)

Veteran

Get a tire spoon at harbor freight its like a small pry bar.
Then slid it under the tire and lift the added leverage makes all the diffrence.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-07-08 3:18 AM (#44250 - in reply to #44207)

Expert

You answered your own question about blowouts with one single word. "Carlisle" , enough said. Put the correct tire on for your trailer's GVW and make sure it's a good name brand, and you may never have to worry about picking up a tire and rim again on the shoulder of the road. You pick what you like or what suits you. I run Michelin XPS rib, 235-85x16 lr-E on my trailer. Tires have birthdays also, code #'s are stamped in the sidewall of the casing. After about five or six years of twisting and turning on those tandem axles, and even if they are not worn out, they still should be replaced. The tires on your truck are no better than what's on your trailer. This time of year is tuff on tires and horses on the side of the interstate waiting for a tire change, because of dry, rotten tires.

Edited by retento 2006-07-08 4:23 AM
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-07-08 6:14 AM (#44254 - in reply to #44207)

Veteran

This seems to be a recurring disturbing trend with Carlisle tires. However a half dozen blowouts with maybe tens of thousands out there may not be that high.Perhaps they are just a popular tire to use. I propose we poll this to see what other brands people have or are using and have had blowouts.Underlying motive: my brand new trailer has Carlisle on it and if the problem is that bad I'll get my wallet out to replace them.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-08 8:51 AM (#44260 - in reply to #44207)

Elite Veteran

Hi bjhouten and I worry about my wife and 18 year old daughter for the same reasons you have stated while you experienced extended stays on the side of the road.  I'm a little nutty when it comes to tires and my wife doesn't understand my logic. On my daily work truck I'll run anything that will hold air, pass a D.O.T. inspection, has some tread on it and is relatively the right size. I get so many punctures on a jobsite that buying an expensive set of tires that are ruined before they wear out is wasteful to me. However, on our horse trailer/truck and family vehicle I get really nutty about the tires that are on them and taking care of them. I'm even nuttier about the brands that I will buy to put on them. Carlisle, Goodyear, B.F. Goodrich and General are some that I will not purchase when I need tires. I will buy Cooper and Michelin.

As for changing a tire on a vehicle, it's a real chore for a woman as a rule. I taught my wife and daughter to use a shovel and almost any shovel will do. Get the tire close to the hub, put the point of the shovel under the tire and then sit down on the handle. They can kind of move their butt around to move the tire around and still have both hands free to help the tire on the studs. Grain shovels, flat tip shovels and regular spade shovels work really well. Snow shovels don't work as well. A steel pitchfork will do the job as well.

Happy trails.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-08 11:16 AM (#44264 - in reply to #44207)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for all the great suggestions on lifting the tire. I should have a shovel im my trailer anyway, so I'll get one today on before I leave. The board and the tire spoon sounds like good choices also. I can lift 50lb bags of hay & feed, but I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to lifting odd shaped things like tires.

Carlisle did replace my first blowout. I didn't have any real damage to my trailer either time, got very lucky that way. But I don't want Carlisle tires on my trailer any more, so I don't think I'll bother them about replacing this tire.

I hope everyone goes out and check's their spare & make sure they can change that tire somehow! I wish for no blow outs for anyone here!

Cheers,
Betty
Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-10 8:03 AM (#44329 - in reply to #44207)

Veteran

Tires have birthdays also, code #'s are stamped in the sidewall of the casing. After about five or six years of twisting and turning on those tandem axles, and even if they are not worn out, they still should be replaced.

What part of the code tells you how old the tire is? I just had to swap my spare out for one of the regular tires that had cracks in the sidewall. Tires have a lot of tread because I don't haul much. But I do worry about dry rot etc. What do you look for to determine if a tire needs to be replaced, even if it still looks good?
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-10 8:49 AM (#44331 - in reply to #44207)

Elite Veteran

LET THE TIRE DEALER KNOW YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH YOUR TIRES,IF THEY DON'T KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM THEY CAN'T FIX IT !! ALOT OF THINGS CAN DAMAGE A TIRE,GRAVEL,NAILS,AND OTHER OBJECTS.I FOUND A BROKEN WRENCH IN ONE ONE TIME. HEAT WILL CAUSE THE TIRE TO EXPAND AND MAYBE IT WILL BE FINE WHEN COOL BUT AT HWY SPEED THEY HEAT UP.GET A REAL GOOD TIRE PRESSURE GUAGE AND CHECK YOUR PRESSURE DON'T RELY ON A GAS STATION GUAGE THEY CAN BE INACCURATE. RUS THE BEST TRAILER TIRE YOU CAN FIND.WITH THE LOAD RATING EXCEEDING YOUR EXPECTED WEIGHT. HAPPY TRAILS
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-07-10 10:40 AM (#44348 - in reply to #44260)

Veteran

Originally written by deranger on 2006-07-08 8:51 AM

Hi bjhouten and I worry about my wife and 18 year old daughter for the same reasons you have stated while you experienced extended stays on the side of the road.  I'm a little nutty when it comes to tires and my wife doesn't understand my logic. On my daily work truck I'll run anything that will hold air, pass a D.O.T. inspection, has some tread on it and is relatively the right size. I get so many punctures on a jobsite that buying an expensive set of tires that are ruined before they wear out is wasteful to me. However, on our horse trailer/truck and family vehicle I get really nutty about the tires that are on them and taking care of them. I'm even nuttier about the brands that I will buy to put on them. Carlisle, Goodyear, B.F. Goodrich and General are some that I will not purchase when I need tires. I will buy Cooper and Michelin.

As for changing a tire on a vehicle, it's a real chore for a woman as a rule. I taught my wife and daughter to use a shovel and almost any shovel will do. Get the tire close to the hub, put the point of the shovel under the tire and then sit down on the handle. They can kind of move their butt around to move the tire around and still have both hands free to help the tire on the studs. Grain shovels, flat tip shovels and regular spade shovels work really well. Snow shovels don't work as well. A steel pitchfork will do the job as well.

Happy trails.

Out of curiosity, why will you only buy these two brands?

Ardly

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-10 7:52 PM (#44387 - in reply to #44348)

Elite Veteran

Cooper has been in business forever and makes a great tire right here in America. Michelin is a great tire and it's a tough tire as well. With these two brands, I feel I get "the best bang for my buck" and I'm getting what I'm paying for!!!

With any other brand of tire, I know I'm not going to get my best deal. Happy trails.

laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-07-11 9:53 PM (#44455 - in reply to #44207)

Veteran

Michelin owns BFG and Uniroyal, right?
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-12 6:24 PM (#44507 - in reply to #44207)

I have had good service from Goodyear Unisteel G159 tires. They may be a little stiff for trailers under about 10,000# loaded since they carry 105 psi, but they last and I haven't had a blowout, and very few flats. I've been getting about 60,000 miles out of a set, and they have some tread left, but I change to avoid problems. I don't know if they stand up over several years of light use since I change about 14-16 months or so. I have used these tires on the last 3 trailers and think they provide good service, for what it is worth. As far as date of manufacture goes, on Goodyear tires the last 4 digits of the serial number tells you the week and year they were built, for example 0707 would be the seventh week of 2007, I don't know if this code is uniform to all tire brands.

Edited by Tx. Vaquero 2006-07-12 8:08 PM
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-13 6:40 AM (#44535 - in reply to #44455)

Elite Veteran

laxpatrick, that's a question that I can't answer.  I like Michelin because they wear like iron, not because of the other companies they own.  Even Cooper has "an off brand" of tire they make, that I can't remember the name of right now.  Happy trails.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-07-13 12:53 PM (#44565 - in reply to #44207)

Expert

Cooper's off brand tire is called Master Craft. They pretty much are Cooper's except for the tread design.
joe q
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-14 10:41 AM (#44616 - in reply to #44207)

New User

Hi I do hope you'll still read this. Please look at all your tires just not the side walls of the tires there could be dry rot inbetween the tread so we all have to look there. Just don't look at the tire say that they are only 2yrs old and think that everything look good. Get down and look for crack in there also buy tire conditioner so that the sun does not dry them out. As for taking them off get yourself a jiffy jack and  pipe to go over a four way lug wrench and this will make it easyer to take them off. I hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to email me at sonya1316@aol.com.

joe

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-14 3:27 PM (#44632 - in reply to #44207)

Expert

You can proplong your tire life by spraying the sidewalls with silicon spray lubricants.  I tested it on my "manure trailer" and the dry rotting was GREATLY reduced over time on the treated tires.  (Note this test was run on new tires and was applied weekly.)

I run BF Goodrich commercial grade tires on both my truck and trailer.  I'll get over 100K miles off my truck tires.  I was lead onto this brand by my Ford dealer.  He's a personal friend.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-15 7:46 AM (#44666 - in reply to #44632)

Elite Veteran

huntseat, there's a saying that "time=money" and I find that to be true since I'm self-employed. I agree, you can prolong the life of tires by spraying them with silicon. My thought on this is the expense of the spray, the time it takes to apply it and how much money is saved? I build a lot of fence and customers always ask me, "should I stain it or paint it?" My answer is always, "it will not last longer compared to the amount of money and labor you will spend applying the coating. It will be cosmetically prettier to look at and that's the only real advantage." As for making your tires last longer, a simple way to beat the UV degradation of the rubber is to shield it from the sun. I try to park our new horse trailer so the sun isn't baking the tires. If that's not possible, I take trash can lids that are missing a trash can and put them over the front of the tires. No money spent and I'm recycling the lids into another use rather than just tossing them. Just my thoughts on the matter. Happy trails.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-07-24 8:34 PM (#45350 - in reply to #44207)

Expert

Went out just before dark to give the trailer another once over before 700+ mile trip on friday and discovered that I'm going to buy four new 235-85x16 LR-E's tomorrow morning. The setting sun was hitting the right rear just right to reveal a bulge in the tread and sidewall. Mind you, I go down beside this trailer 2-3 dozen times a day and I'm always looking at the tires. Today the light was just right for me to notice. Glad I saw it before I had the chance to try out my USRider account on I-40 in the N.C.-TN. mountains..............if it would have made it that far. The tires are six years old, so, it's not that I wasn't expecting to have to replace them. I believe another set of Michelin XPS-RIB's are in order. The tread on the old tires look super, guess the birthdays mean more than good tread.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-24 9:03 PM (#45352 - in reply to #44507)

Expert

Originally written by Tx. Vaquero on 2006-07-12 6:24 PM

I have had good service from Goodyear Unisteel G159 tires. They may be a little stiff for trailers under about 10,000# loaded since they carry 105 psi, but they last and I haven't had a blowout, and very few flats. I've been getting about 60,000 miles out of a set, and they have some tread left, but I change to avoid problems. I don't know if they stand up over several years of light use since I change about 14-16 months or so. I have used these tires on the last 3 trailers and think they provide good service, for what it is worth. As far as date of manufacture goes, on Goodyear tires the last 4 digits of the serial number tells you the week and year they were built, for example 0707 would be the seventh week of 2007, I don't know if this code is uniform to all tire brands.

60,000 miles in 14 to 16 months ?
You're on the road full time, right ?
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-25 7:11 AM (#45361 - in reply to #45352)

I rope professionally and that keeps me on the road. I also do a little bulldogging at the bigger rodeos to try to help pay the bills. For fun I do some cutting and that adds more miles.
Trailer Warranties
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-25 6:34 PM (#45397 - in reply to #44207)

New User

We offer both 5 and 7 year warranties for tire blow outs, and road hazzards.  Give us a call if we can help, or see our sight here  www.horsetrailerwarranties.com

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)