'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How do you deal with people that think you should haul green horses in your LQ rig?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-11-03 6:25 PM
23 replies, 7209 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-08-23 8:10 AM (#109851)
Subject: How do you deal with people that think you should haul green horses in your LQ rig?

I was just wondering how everyone else handles this?  Hubby will not let me haul other people critters in my LQ trailer. He may consider special circumstances but not until they have been proven to him to be quiet and well mannered. We have had several "friends" horses damage our rigs in the past and none of it repaired by them to pre damage condition. We now have the hard earned "top of the line" rig for our golden years. Most of them could not afford to repair it properly or replace it should their horse tear it up. I can't afford to take the chance. But I am so sick of hearing the comment that what good is it if you can haul horses around without worrying about every little mark. My trailer....my mark. I have to live with the mark plus I also have to live with the decrease value in the trailer that the mark cost me!

Oh, I have even  offered to leave my big rig at home, take the smaller one and share in the expense of the cabin rental.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-08-23 9:33 AM (#109853 - in reply to #109851)
Subject: RE: How do you deal with people that think you should haul green horses in your LQ rig?

Elite Veteran

Amen Sister!! That is why (until now) we have an extended cab dually and a three horse LQ trailer, using the stud stall as a tack room... A few years back, a tightwad woman we know wanted us to haul her horse to Buffalo River...at our expense and risk. I re-scheduled our trip for another time. I am generous to a fault, but not with my horsetrailers. We work too hard to pay for them.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-08-23 11:22 AM (#109861 - in reply to #109851)
Subject: RE: How do you deal with people that think you should haul green horses in your LQ rig?

Elite Veteran

I used to haul other folks horses in my trailer. But after too many of those horses damaging my trailer, I had to stop...because their owners would not pay for the repairs to my trailer. Sad.
luvarabs
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-08-23 11:55 AM (#109864 - in reply to #109851)

I too have hauled other people's horses cuz they wanted to ride with me but didn't have a trailer. They never offered to clean the poop out that their horses left behind. I would always clean my trailer out after I got to where we were going, so it was clean for the ride home. And never offered to clean it out after we got back to their house. They also would also "manage to" get their saddle back in the trailer after I would get mine in and proceed to get their dirty, sweaty girth and saddle pad all over my saddle. So I had to spend part of the next day cleaning my saddle to get the mud and sweat off. They also would never offer any gas money or pack a lunch/snacks for me. Always had to pack my own. I stopped hauling other people's horses when they quit vaccinating for the same things I did. Didn't want to take a chance on taking anything back home to my other horses. Some people don't get what a big investment a trailer is to some people, no matter how big or small the trailer is.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-23 2:34 PM (#109867 - in reply to #109851)

Expert

With very few exceptions, most people will not respect your property as much as you do. To them I say.........NO.  To the few, welcome.

Gard

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-08-23 3:22 PM (#109869 - in reply to #109851)

Extreme Veteran

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-08-23 3:25 PM (#109870 - in reply to #109869)

Extreme Veteran

OOOPS....

Did not enter the text first!

Yeah, no matter what other folks will not respect your things or your feelings as well as you might. I have a small two horse with tackroom and thats all we use, as we have two horses, and two riders......end of tale!

Sad. but a reflection on human kind I am afraid.

Steve

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-08-24 7:40 AM (#109895 - in reply to #109851)

I think y'all are right. But, sometimes I just feel pressure from some folks and stress out over it. Either way  I look at it, I am stressing! I don't want to hurt my freinds feelings but I don't want to take the chance of my stuff getting tore up! Period!

I don't look at it as a line between the haves and the have nots. But priorities. Although a nice rig was a priority for us as a family, we didn't get our dream rig until we were empty nesters. Now that we have it, we just want to protect it.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-24 8:20 AM (#109898 - in reply to #109895)

Expert

Originally written by brushycreekranch on 2009-08-24 8:40 AM

I don't want to hurt my friends feelings but I don't want to take the chance of my stuff getting tore up! Period!  Now that we have it, we just want to protect it.

If your friends are true friends, and are the type to return a borrowed item in better shape than when you lent it, and with whom you have a good rapport, then you might want to include them in your plans. But if their horse is known to be errant and cause damage, they will understand your reluctance to chance your valuable equipment. They will still be your friends.

If they are among the type that are previously described, and are only using you to their advantage, they are not your friends.

You shouldn't feel any reluctance to say "NO", to anyone who is placing you in an uncomfortable position, when causing damage to your person or property. Unless it involves an emergency or there are other possible extenuating circumstances, there is little reason for you to sacrifice your prized possessions.

You worked hard to own the things you have. Enjoy them and keep them safe. Friends will understand and respect your wishes and property.

gard

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-08-24 12:30 PM (#109907 - in reply to #109851)

Elite Veteran

You have done the hard work and paid for the trailer. I get tired of people expecting something for nothing and not working hard for items that are desired. Just because you have a LQ doesn't mean that it is a rolling Holiday Inn with Limo service.

I wouldn't feel bad at all for saying "Sorry, but I do not feel comfortable hauling your horse and don't want to be responsible for him/her becoming injured".

If those folks want persue an interest in horse recreation such as camping/trail riding, then they need to step up to the plate and work for the LQ trailer or stock trailer and truck. I camped years in a non-LQ trailer and even a tent before that. So if those "friends" want to trail ride and camp, then they need to be willing to invest in just the basic equipment such as truck and trailer that is needed to support the recreation.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-08-24 8:00 PM (#109929 - in reply to #109851)

Expert

First off, it's not a green broke horse problem, It's a misbehaving horse problem.  I've hauled plenty of foals, yearlings and 2 and 3 year olds.  None were even green broke, and I've never had one of them damage my trailer.  My problems have come from good horses getting spooked for some reason and doing something totally out of the ordinary for them.  Or peoples horses that were old broke horses that weren't well behaved about trailers,.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-08-24 9:27 PM (#109935 - in reply to #109851)

Expert

I've had friends/family ask if they could borrow our camper and my truck since none of them have the correct hitch.  $60,000, um..... no.  I can't understand someone asking to "borrow" something that cost that much. 
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-25 1:50 PM (#109968 - in reply to #109851)

Veteran

We just purchased our first brand new LQ 3 horse last fall. I wouldn't have a problem saying no. Right now I can think of only one of our friends that I would let them use it. As for hauling other people's horse we don't have room. WE have 2 horses and the first stall if full of camping things.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-08-25 7:04 PM (#109980 - in reply to #109851)

Elite Veteran

When I had a motorhome pulling a four horse(used the front half for horse stuff)trailer, I had people coming out of the wood work. They wanted a shower, place to sleep etc. It got OLD quick. Not one ever offered a five gallon tank of water to replace my fresh water they were using when showering. Not one even considered my privacy when camping, meaning I didn't want people in my camper every time I camped. None ever considered how long 60 gallons of fresh water will last on a 4 day campout with more than 2 adults using the water. I bought bottled water for coffee and drinking to help and I'd ask myself why? I do not owe these people because I have a camper and they do not. I had to keep a 100 gallon water tank in the front of my stock trailer not just to water the horses but for weight due to the horses being behind the axle. I had to keep at least a third of the tank full. I had idiots even after I had told them not to use my water, washing their feet and filling buckets for their horses because they didn't want to walk to the camp pump! That time I had to drive 50 mph on the way home. The trailer would start swaying due to the uneven wait. What the heck am I, the Hilton? NO! I have slept in tents, used mother nature in the snow, slept in the back of a Tahoe, and have taken cold cowboy showers outside in 40 degree weather......I would haul another "friends" horse and they would always make ME wait! HELLO? The wear on my couch, pump and everything else.....No more. There is one person I would open my trailer to but this same person never wants any help.....I went from having it to losing it to having it again. Now is my time and I don't care how big my trailer is....I do not owe anyone.

It is your time. You have earned it! Do not feel guilty.

Edited by Gone 2009-08-25 7:20 PM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-08-25 7:06 PM (#109981 - in reply to #109851)

Expert

Let me say that BCR really does have some beautiful top of the line equipment, that she keeps under roof and takes care to maintain beautifully.  She is generous and helpful, and kind.

So, her anxiety to not hurt feelings, but not get her equipment destroyed comes from a good heart, not a cold one.  We second her and her hubby's decision to be very selective about what gets hauled in her rig.... when it comes to getting your rig torn up, well, you can't unring a bell.  I have hauled others, and I have borrowed trailers, too. 

I have never borrowed anything that I could not have purchased a replacement (altho it would have been $$$) and I understand that if I haul someone, I will probably have to absorb the cost of repairs and loss of value.

To not hurt feelings, I make either a general statement about how my insurance would cancel me and not pay if some damages occured, and I can't afford to take that chance, or, I might just say,

"""" hey, talk to me when your horse stands tied very reliably and loads very well, and you are willing to work to create a broke animal.  I care too much about my animal to have one in there beside them that I KNOW is a fit thrower, and that is the price you pay for not accepting your animal is unstable and you are to blame for always making excuses instead of demanding of yourself and your horse the work necessary to fix all these problems."""""

Now you know why I am just a sugar coatin sweetheart!

It is less about money (altho that cost of repairs cannot be ignored) and more about manners and a difference in philosophy.

Slidinspots
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-08-25 9:38 PM (#109990 - in reply to #109851)

Veteran

I just tell them that I do not have insurance to cover someone elses horse/equipment.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-25 10:19 PM (#109993 - in reply to #109851)

Expert

I agree with your hubby! Better half went on a weekend trail ride last year and took a friend and horse with her, the other horse was a pawer, so after 2 miles the better half to the friend and horse back home and went by herself! NO MORE DAMAGE and come to find out it really was not that good of a friend. (had the nerve to say, "he did that to my trailer, that's why I did not want to take it")
Sorry people!
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-08-26 6:50 AM (#109998 - in reply to #109851)

Thanks y'all. I shouldn't let it bother me. Wow, I guess I do have a "sensitive" side after all! 

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2009-08-26 9:22 AM (#110005 - in reply to #109851)

Extreme Veteran

I hauled a horse for a good friend to a little weekend ride. The horse started kicking so bad I could hear it in the truck and she could hear it in her car following behind me. About 10 miles from the ride I pulled over and unloaded her horse, well it's really her husbands buggy horse, and took my horse on to the ride and came back and got hers. She crippled my horse and tore up the center gate on the trailer. The friend felt really bad about it, but her husband did fix the center gate for me. But I told them I'd never haul that horse again. They understood why. That was one of the most hateful horses I have ever seen.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2009-09-16 9:10 PM (#110769 - in reply to #109851)

Extreme Veteran

I have only done it one time. That was an emergency. Friends truck broke. I had no horses at the time. His wife was like, can you take the stall dividers out and take the 5th horse? I said, "NO". I unloaded his horses at the fairgrounds and unhooked my trailer. I went back and got his trailer and last horse who was a stud but a very quite one at that. His trailer was wired differently then mine so I had to pull the fuse for the 12v trailer supply and limp off the mountains with no trailer brakes. He was very greatful. Boy, was that a stressful trip. Don't feel bad at all about not trailering someone elses horse.

When I was in the service I had a ski boat and loved to kneeboard. Fellows I would go to the lake with wouldn't let me buy anything. I freakin tried, gas, food, drinks, they even would hall it for me on one of their vehicles. Those are true friends. I tried everytime to help pay for something, they weren't having it.

Edited by Spooler 2009-09-16 9:15 PM
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-11-01 12:06 AM (#112664 - in reply to #109851)

Veteran

Well, its your trailer and your money paying for it.  If you feel bad telling someone NO then think about drawing up a contract that they have to read and sign.  Make it look as legal as possible with the signatures at the bottom and notary signature.  In this contract state a pre-inspection and a post inspection will be made by you and them.  Any damages, broken ties, padding torn, etc will be paid for by them by a certified repair company. State that any injuries to your horse caused directly or indirectly by their horse will be paid by them.  State that you will not be held responsible for injuries to their horse.  All manure, wet bedding and hay will be removed by them that their horse does.  Also state that if their horse starts to act unrulely you can and will stop and unload the animal and it is their responsibility to have the horse hauled from that point.  Also include the outside of the trailer if they wish to tie to it without you hauling it.  If you make one up, make copies and bring up in conversation that you have drawn this up for insurance purposes and let them read it.   I seriously don't think they will ask you again.   A friend of mine hauled a horse home for someone in a 2 horse trailer years ago.  As soon as they started moving the horse started kicking and climbing the walls.  It was a 2 hour drive and the owner said to just keep driving the horse would straighten.  He spent 2 days straightening his back door out to get it to close right.   

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-11-01 10:10 AM (#112673 - in reply to #109851)

Extreme Veteran

I guess we're just lucky. We've hauled a lot of horses for friends, and never once had a problem with any of them.

Good friends don't ask you to haul something that is not trailer friendly.
oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-11-02 7:36 PM (#112736 - in reply to #109851)

Regular

I have shared my rig many times since I usually go by myself. I guess I have been lucky because all have been good camping buddies and I never had a problem with their horses. Sometimes I enjoy going by myself and other times I let my friends go with me. They get to sleep in the guest room now since I have a LQ with a walk through door. The horse part becomes the guest room.

HOWEVER, it is your rig and you make your own decisions.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-11-03 6:25 PM (#112786 - in reply to #109851)

Extreme Veteran

Just say NO.  It really isn't all that hard!

Marla

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)