'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Any 2horse GN, lq that a 1/2 can tow safely?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-07-18 11:31 AM
23 replies, 12758 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-13 1:47 PM (#135598)
Subject: Any 2horse GN, lq that a 1/2 can tow safely?

Hello from Kansas City,  I've been searching through threads but have yet to find any topic regarding what a 1/2 ton (Chevy Avalanche) can safely tow.  I am looking to upgrade my current WW 2hr straight load and of course I'm getting the gimmies and started thinking well for a bit more I could find a good used weekender.  Am I delusional thinking there's a gn out there I could pull safely?  I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the choices and looking for some good advice and guidance.  My needs are simply for trail riding. I  could make due w/ a dressing room alone, but like I said I just have the gimmies at this point.  I have done a lot of research (hence the overwhelmed feeling) in regards to the "best" trailer.  I do love my truck and not looking to upgrade it. I am working on my trail buddy though, haha. So please I appreciate hearing about your fav. weekender, and the best brands when it comes to those as well as 2horse bp, dress/tack rooms. 

I'm pulling under 2000lbs of horses, when it comes to the bp 2horse, I've found some good deals on Hart, Eclipse, Logan, Sundowner and Four star.  From what I've read so far, the newer sundowners aren't the best choice, and I've read four stars are good.  I've stayed away from Featherlight on advice from friends.  I get overwhelmed trying to figure what's the "best", go combo frame, all allum, or steel.  *sigh* If anyone can just point me in the right direction I'd be enternally grateful!  Regards, Nicole

p.s.  I also have read alot of lq ads that say, rarely used or only used twice.!  I'm a lil gun shy to invest in something that so many people thought they too would use but then don't.  Thinking I may just be better off w/ a bp w/ tack room, keep my truck and stay in cabins!  Do people just underestimate how much effort it is to haul w/ lq? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
shannon7
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-13 2:06 PM (#135599 - in reply to #135598)
Subject: RE: Any 2horse GN, lq that a 1/2 can tow safely?

New User

I just don't know that I'd pull a lq with a 1/2 ton, much less something with a short wheel base. Even if it was a light LQ, when you add 2000 lbs of horses, passengers in the vehicle, tack, and any gear you're taking with you, it can quickly go over the hauling capacity of your truck. Not only will it take its toll on the engine and tranny, it will be tougher on the smaller brakes of a 1/2 ton (even with a brake controller and trailer brakes. Sorry, I totally understand the 'gimmies'...I have a whole loooooong list of them. Why risk the safety of your animals, yourself, and other vehicles on the road, not to mention the toll it will take on your vehicle?
Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-13 2:17 PM (#135600 - in reply to #135598)

Thanks Shannon, I assumed as much but honestly didn't know if there was something out there I hadn't found yet? I know there are lightweight gn out there.  And many claim an suv can tow.   I know w/ the Avalanche it's a diff configuration as well but guess I needed to hear it from someone else.  Why must I love my truck so much? *sigh*  Sounds like I should just work on my trail buddy instead.

Now something like this http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=310514  wouldn't be a problem would it?  It doesn't list the weight but this is the type I started looking to upgrade to.  Back to the drawing board.  Thanks again!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-07-13 4:14 PM (#135606 - in reply to #135598)

Expert

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=15401&posts=15
Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-13 5:21 PM (#135609 - in reply to #135598)

Thanks Gard, I was looking through at least 10 pages and couldn't find any reference.  I'm sure this forum gets that question asked all the time.  I figured w/ the Avalanche having such a shorter bed it too would impact it's ability when it came to a GN. 

I'm thinking perhaps a 2 or even 3hrse bp w/ tack area could give me the extra storage I want w/o upgrading the truck too. 

Can you give me your opinion on a trailer like this.  http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/2492140738.html

I could use the extra stall for hay and whatnot along w/ the storage upfront.  It's not LQ but would be safer pulling it seems.  Haven't been able to find reviews regarding this particular make. 

I've read through a lot of threads and it's amazing there's so much to know about trailers.  I just wanna hop in my truck and hit the road!  Appreciate your knowlege and opinion!

ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-07-13 5:47 PM (#135610 - in reply to #135598)

Regular

if it helps, lots of people set up pretty posh camps in the back of their BP trailers, or in the dressing rooms :)

LQ are super duper heavy, what with the water tanks and cabinets. even a basic 2 hrs gooseneck is going to weigh significanly less than the same trailer with a weekender package installed!

good luck :)

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-07-13 9:57 PM (#135611 - in reply to #135598)

Veteran

Not to rain on your parade but I doubt that your Avalance would have enough towing capacity, brakes, etc for that Titan trailer 3H. Isn't that a steel trailer?

I'd double check the towing capacity of your vehicle and then the weight of any prospective trailers you are considering. Then add weight of horses, people and gear and compare. Better to be safe than sorry.

What kind of 2H bp do you have now? Do you use a weight distributing hitch? Does your Avalance have a tow package?

Good luck finding the right combination to truck and trailer.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-07-13 10:47 PM (#135612 - in reply to #135598)

Expert

2011 Avalanche - 8100 lbs with the 2WD...8000 lbs with the AWD
NOTES ON AVALANCHE: Trailer tongue weight should be 10 to 15 percent of total trailer weight (up to 600 lbs.). A weight-distributing hitch and sway control is required for trailer weights greater than 5000 lbs. A 7-wire trailering harness is standard on
all Avalanche models. (K5L) Heavy-Duty Trailering Package including (KNP) external transmission oil cooler and (KC4) engine oil cooler must be ordered in order to achieve maximum trailer ratings. Addition of trailer tongue weight cannot cause vehicle
weights to exceed Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (RGAWR) or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). Avalanche is not designed to tow 5th-wheel or gooseneck trailers.

NOTE: Maximum trailer weight ratings are calculated assuming a base vehicle, except for any option(s) necessary to achieve the rating, plus driver. The weight of other optional equipment, passengers and cargo will reduce the maximum trailer weight
your vehicle can tow. See your Chevrolet dealer for additional details.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-07-13 11:13 PM (#135614 - in reply to #135609)

Expert

Originally written by Spotteddream on 2011-07-13 6:21 PM 

I'm thinking perhaps a 2 or even 3hrse bp w/ tack area could give me the extra storage I want w/o upgrading the truck too. 

Can you give me your opinion on a trailer like this.  http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/2492140738.html

It looks like a good trailer, I'm not sure what it weighs. You'll notice that the axles are situated under the third stall. If the horses are loaded into the center and last stall, you may not drastically effect your tongue weights.

We pulled an 18' 3H BP steel horse/combo for a few years with a Ford Expedition. It's basically a half ton truck with a softer suspension. The Corn Pro trailer weighed ~3600#. It pulled well and because the axles were placed forward, it was easy to balance the loading with various numbers of horses. We never needed any additional mechanical hitch devices. The third stall was rarely used for anything but storage, with two horses being the common loading.

The trailer had a large dressing area and additional spacing behind the rear stall. With some imagination, additional and specific storage and creature (human) comforts could have been installed. Two people spending a weekend inside would have been cozy, but doable for an overnight or so.

I don't personally know anyone who pulls with your type of vehicle, so I can't accurately comment on its abilities. Many BP trailers are safetly pulled with half ton trucks. I don't see why you can't be one of the group.

Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-14 7:17 AM (#135619 - in reply to #135611)

I've looked at so many trailers, I thought I had posted an allum one. No I wouldn't attempt a big steel, I thought if I kept it at the current weight roughly 3000+ lbs, Id be fine. Not raining, you're educating! Thanks!I haul a WW 2horse straight load,extra tall. I don't have a weight distrib hitch but the previous owner hauled w/ an suv and put.... ack can't think of what it's called, on the front to keep it from swaying? Shoot too early and not enough coffee yet.Yes my truck has a tow package, it's also a 4w drive too. Which has come in handy getting stuck in the mud. :O) Thank you for your time!!
Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-14 7:23 AM (#135620 - in reply to #135610)

Yes it does help, haha. I figured smart thing to do if I'm not going to upgrade the truck is just pimp out a nice allum w/ dressing room. win/win!
Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-14 7:27 AM (#135621 - in reply to #135612)

Thank you very much. Guess I could of just looked that up b/c it says right there, NO GN! In my defense I happened to stumble upon this forum while researching a trailer and figured why not jump in and ask, Thanks for finding that for me.
Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-14 7:50 AM (#135622 - in reply to #135619)

You'll notice that the axles are situated under the third stall. If the horses are loaded into the center and last stall, you may not drastically effect your tongue weights.>>>I'm so thankful to find this forum b/c b/f, all I looked at was the total weight, not taking into consideration axles or otherwise. I thought this one was allum but will double check, shoot b/f yesterday I didn't even know what tounge weight was. My knowlege base is gaited horses, not trailers, I'm so grateful you are all so kind to share your expertise w/ me. I have no doubt w/ the forums help I'll find just the right trailer. Much thanks! And should you ever have any gaited questions I'm here for you. :O)
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-07-14 7:52 AM (#135624 - in reply to #135619)

Expert

Originally written by Spotteddream on 2011-07-14 7:17 AM

I've looked at so many trailers, I thought I had posted an allum one. No I wouldn't attempt a big steel, I thought if I kept it at the current weight roughly 3000+ lbs, Id be fine. Not raining, you're educating! Thanks!I haul a WW 2horse straight load,extra tall. I don't have a weight distrib hitch but the previous owner hauled w/ an suv and put.... ack can't think of what it's called, on the front to keep it from swaying? Shoot too early and not enough coffee yet.Yes my truck has a tow package, it's also a 4w drive too. Which has come in handy getting stuck in the mud. :O) Thank you for your time!!

you posted pictures from 2 ads,one was a Titan from MO,that would be a steel trailer.The other was a super nice 3H 4Star from an ad on HTW here.

PS just my 2cents worth and IMHO,I wouldn't pull a 3H trailer with a 1/2T pickup,and,that's just from past experience trying it.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2011-07-14 7:54 AM
Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-14 8:00 AM (#135625 - in reply to #135598)

Okay I meant to post the allum one. NO steel, def. switching over to allum. I really like that 4star, it says 3hrs but looks 2hrs to me. FTR, I would never haul 3hrs. That third stall would be used for hay. That was a nice looking trailer and not a bad price either. Need to go have another look. 25Thank you for your two cents, I'm on a learning curve but I'm a quick learner!
Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-14 9:15 AM (#135626 - in reply to #135598)

Duh, this was the 2hr I was looking at. http://hortoninsuranceagency.insurance.officelive.com/19994star.asp... I've looked at too many trailers and need a break I think, haha. Thanks again to everyone who lent me their eyes and offered an opinion.I actually prefer the 3hr 4Star for extra room, and Gard you said as long as I put the horses in the second/third slots I'd be fine w/ the tounge weight? Think it will make a nice consolation prize. :O)
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2011-07-14 2:00 PM (#135631 - in reply to #135598)

Expert

Come on folks.... Why is it so hard to post a good/correct clickable link...??

http://hortoninsuranceagency.insurance.officelive.com/19994star.aspx

Edited by retento 2011-07-14 2:01 PM
shannon7
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-14 6:08 PM (#135641 - in reply to #135598)

New User

Not sure if anyone posted something like this, yet, but what about some type of light weight bumperpull 'hut'? This one may be a little large (you'd have to check the weight) but I've seen some that were more compact.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=303423

Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-15 2:32 PM (#135675 - in reply to #135598)

Thanks Shannon that was actually the trailer that led me here.  From what I read it was bad design and swayed all over the place.  But appreciate the effort nonetheless!

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-07-15 6:56 PM (#135684 - in reply to #135631)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2011-07-14 2:00 PM

Come on folks.... Why is it so hard to post a good/correct clickable link...??

http://hortoninsuranceagency.insurance.officelive.com/19994star.aspx

That's because this site seems to have problems with Firefox postings... If you put in a carriage return behind a link but NO spacebar event, then your link gets run into the next word you type...
Hankster1958
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-16 12:26 AM (#135699 - in reply to #135598)

Man, they just don't "make em like they used to"!!! We tow, with a 1975 Chevy "heavy half"!! (Half ton truck, with 3/4 ton springs etc) We've pulled a 4400 lbs EMPTY (add two horses, gear etc to that) Gooseneck.... and now, we've got a BIG two horse Bumper pull... weight i'll know tomorrow when we scale it... But Today's trucks, unless you specifically BUY a heavy towing rig.. are just too light.... Our old "tank" just plugs along! What we DID do... is get an older style (matching the truck) Camper on the back... and then used the BP (really, frame mounted receiver, NEVER tow with a bumper!)to haul the Horses ....sleep in the Camper. Works well, I put a bed/cabinets (lightweight framed) in the back.... best of Both worlds.. perhaps you could do something similar.Light Camper/shell.. and a weight appropriate BP.....then go camping! NEVER try to pull more than your truck can do... it can get ugly! Remember, once you get it moving, to have to be able to control it, AND Stop it too!! Be safe.. and good luck!Hank, From Missouri Trailblazing

Edited by Hankster1958 2011-07-16 12:27 AM
Rob77
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-17 7:50 AM (#135746 - in reply to #135675)

Nicole, if you go back to trailer world trailer listings and put in Florida and then 2 horse bumper pull you will see a listing for our Nextrail H-T 2nd gen 2 horse trailer with dressing room. This a new design that we have done for people in your situation. You will see a steamlined, light weight 2 horse trailer built to haul 2 horses by a vehicle registered to haul 4500 lbs or less. There is plenty of pics for you to look through and maybe give you some new ideas.
Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-18 11:30 AM (#135788 - in reply to #135699)

Hank thanks for the idea, I really hadn't even thought of that yet.  I've resolved to find a nice 2-3hr allum and we'll figure out the sleeping arrangements when need be.  I'm not looking to upgrade both truck and trailer and I've always been "saftey first" when it comes to my horse.  He's one in a million so I would never put him or myself for that matter in jeopardy, the whole reason I'm putting the time in before I buy!  Thanks again!
Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-18 11:31 AM (#135789 - in reply to #135746)

Thanks Rob, I'll check it out.  I'm hoping (as is my hubby) that I find something a little closer to the midwest.  But at this point after looking at hundreds of trailers I think I'd go about anywhere to find just the right one!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)