'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How do you decide

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-19 4:18 PM
23 replies, 7188 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JcNhEmI
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-02-14 10:35 PM (#116586)
Subject: How do you decide

if you really need a LQ or not?I'm on the fence about this?what did you weight on before you did or didn't get a trailer with living quarters in it?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-02-14 10:54 PM (#116587 - in reply to #116586)
Subject: RE: How do you decide

Extreme Veteran

If you camp or travel a lot then I would say get a LQ. If you just haul horses around and rarely camp then you would just be wasting money to get a LQ. You've got to decide if you would use it or not. I like having mine, it's nice to be able to take a hot shower, sleep in a warm dry bed, and have a kitchen and bathroom with you.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-14 11:17 PM (#116589 - in reply to #116586)

Expert

If you are getting a GN trailer, a LQ, even a 4' weekender is a god send. Even if you are not sleeping over, there are times when a soft mattress is greatly welcomed. Having a refrigerator, even if it only used as an icebox, affords cool drinks and unspoiled food. The best part is a toilet; having your own privacy and sanitation. Cabinets invite regulated storage. You can have heat or cold as you wish.

A 4' weekender weighs about 800#'s more than a bare dressing room, takes up no more space, and offers both comfort and utility.

We sold an 3H 18' stock/combo BP and bought an 18' box, 3H GN with weekender. The difference in utility and comfort is night and day, for the same floor space. We have two LQ's and use the smaller one far more often than the large one.

Gard

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2010-02-15 6:35 AM (#116593 - in reply to #116586)

Veteran

We had our non LQ trailer for about 12 years and used it a lot. I started taking a solar shower with me and made due taking a shower in the horse compartment. Then I got the great idea to buy a LQ, after 2 years of searching a bought a small 6 ft short wall LQ. I marked all of our trips on the calendar and figured we spent over 30 nights in it last year. That is a lot of money saved on a hotel room and nothing beats staying close to your horses while you travel. Even when we were not traveling over night, you can't beat your own private bathroom as Gard mentioned. There are other benefits too like an auxilury quest house when the power goes out in your house. They certainly are not cheap, but I tell you, it is the best toy I have ever gotten, next to my horse of course.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-02-15 6:57 AM (#116595 - in reply to #116586)

Expert

I show horses locally as well as out of my area and I was camping in my dressing room. It was ok but after a while I just wanted more than a cooler and extension cords. I started looking into a LQ and bought a small one-4ft SW with a midtack. Wow! Just being able to flick on a light,turn up the heat and watch TV was great. Now i don't have a shower or flush toilet but that's ok...I do have the ability to heat and cool my living space,watch tv and dress in comfort with clothing hung up neatly. Its nice!
JcNhEmI
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-02-15 9:30 AM (#116597 - in reply to #116595)

Originally written by farmbabe on 2010-02-15 5:57 AM

I show horses locally as well as out of my area and I was camping in my dressing room. It was ok but after a while I just wanted more than a cooler and extension cords. I started looking into a LQ and bought a small one-4ft SW with a midtack. Wow! Just being able to flick on a light,turn up the heat and watch TV was great. Now i don't have a shower or flush toilet but that's ok...I do have the ability to heat and cool my living space,watch tv and dress in comfort with clothing hung up neatly. Its nice!

What kind of trailer do you have?

I've found some that seemed like good buys til i found out it didn't have a toilet or shower.

Shower I could prolly do without but I think it's I'm going to put money into a LQ I would want a toilet.

Do you wish you had either or both!?

To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-02-15 11:20 AM (#116599 - in reply to #116597)

Veteran

I went from a 3 horse slant with a finished dressing room...( bench seat, couple cabinets, sm table, stereo, porta potty in the back, cowboy shower) it was cozy, but it got alittle old..I hated the camping totes , hauling it in and out, digging for stuff, no frig, just coolers, cooking outside, etc. ...and finally last fall got the trailer of my dreams...ful LQ, not huge 10 ft. with a full bath, kitchen, frig, furnace, cabinets, table & bench..I am in heaven.  I loved the other trailer until it got to be such a hassle putting it in, taking it out, limited area to move..I couldn't be happier with the new one...and NO it isn't brand new..it is 12yrs old, very well taken care of, and Oh, do I have plans for this summer... I trail ride, and hopefully someday will be able to take extended trips West..and if that time comes, I am prepared, I have the living area I need to do it comfortably..

You need to take a look at what you do with your horses and what you plan to do 2 yrs from now, 5 yrs from now, 10 yrs from now...the older I got the more amenities I wanted/ needed... Good Luck in your pursuit of "happiness"

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-02-15 11:38 AM (#116600 - in reply to #116597)

Expert

I don't camp out of doors just at horse shows were facilities are provided. The porta potty works well for my needs. The shower..well..thats something I'd perhaps want in the future but right now I can take a real "cowboy shower"- heat up hot water and just take a sponge bath..it works.The set up I have is comfortable for me ( since I travel alone) but if there was another person along..no it wouldn't be enough room for two.I have a 3 H Gn Exiss event with mid tack..I love midtacks. Personally, I didn't want the hassle of added plumbing,pumps and so forth that comes along with a flush toilet and shower. I have one pump for the sink and one water tank. In the fall, I drain the tank, add anti freeze and run it til its coming out of the sink faucet-thats it.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-02-15 11:41 AM (#116601 - in reply to #116586)

Veteran

Jc, I camp locally quite a bit and went across the country a couple of times with an older standard GN stock trailer, lived a couple of months one year in Texas and off and on about 4 months another year in Oregon in said stock trailer, got cold, rained on, showered with one of those solar shower water bag things.  Now, I am very appreciative of my LQ's.  At the end of the day I can sleep in a dry bed, have a hot shower and don't have to worry about finding some brush, out house or whatever.  Like Gard, I get more use out of my small one. Never leave home without it!  I pull it just the same as anybody else would pull a travel trailer. You can pretty much haul anything you want, anywhere you want, stop any where you want, sleep, eat, shower, use the toilet.  It's like insurance too, in case of an emergency, you're never homeless!  You can pull into pretty much any rodeo or fair ground. If you pull into an RV park (without horses), you do get some funny looks though.  Also, it's a pretty good guest house.

Even on the little trailer(6ft SW, 2H), I didn't have to compromise.  My must have's were: Propane furnace, propane stove top,  6cu fridge with separate freezer, sink, toilet and shower. All this and it's one foot shorter on the deck than my stock trailer! This little trailer is a Featherlite that I bought from Don Johnson's up in Walla Walla.  Just a super LQ.  Being as I'm not too far from retirement (I hope!), I just recently got a bigger 10ft LQ Elite 3H for extended camping stays.  Jc, I've ridden a bit of your and Painted Horse's southern country and God willinging I'll be able to ride some more.  You guys have some great country.  If you like to ride the trailer and camp,you will really like an LQ trailer.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-02-15 12:44 PM (#116605 - in reply to #116586)

Elite Veteran

I attend horse shows that are 3-4 days long and the first year or two either stayed in a hotel or camped in the dressing room of my gooseneck trailer. Hotels are expensive, and camping in the dressing room got old real quick. As my goals got bigger and the number of days on the road for shows got higher, I did the math and figured that if I sold my non-LQ trailer and bought a LQ trailer, showing the number of days I planned to show, I would pay the difference in hotel rooms and eating out in under 3 years. And there is no way to assign a value on the convenience factor of having your own space right on the show grounds. I love having my own shower and bathroom and not having to tromp through the camping area to use the bathroom or take a shower. I love being able to take a short nap between classes if my classes are spread out through the day, but not have to leave the show grounds to head back to the hotel. Even for one day haul-in shows, its sure nice to have my own beverages, snacks, and bathroom.
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-02-15 2:40 PM (#116610 - in reply to #116586)

Regular

My decision on buying a used 4' SW with insulated dressing room and AC was based mainly on price.  Most of the campsites I now frequent have running water and showers.  I bought a Honda generator, have 4 deep cell batteries, a porta potti, microwave, fridge, etc.  I've been camping all over IA, WI, MN, SD, MO.  Sometimes run into places without showers.  Heat the water up in my microwave and clean up in the back.  The one thing I must have, even in the Midwest is AC.  Why did I purchase this unit.  I paid cash for it.  I couldn't justify taking out a loan on a $25,000 trailer to haul 2 $2,500 horses around to weekend campsites, and a once a year week long camping trip.  I'm not saying my setup is perfect, but I like 0 payments, and being able to comfortably pull with a 3/4 ton.  If I get real busy at work during a year and can't ride as much, don't want to be making payments on something that's not getting used regularly.  This is my personal preference, and probably not the norm.  I'm out there to ride horse, not watch TV.  Like my friend says, the nicer the trailer the less horse riding gets done.

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-02-15 5:20 PM (#116618 - in reply to #116586)

Extreme Veteran

It's a luxury so I decided by what I could afford. If I had room for storage I would have 2 trailers. The LQ and something smaller for a runabout. But then I would need another truck so I wouldn't have to unhitch. Then I would need extra tack so I didn't take off with my stuff in the wrong trailer.

Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-02-15 11:58 PM (#116642 - in reply to #116586)

Regular

I'll go the opposite direction as most people here and say that I doubt I will ever get a LQ horse trailer.  We camp a fair amount (about 10 weekends and a week long trip last year) and I still don't think it's a smart economical decision for us.  When we have the money I will start asking opinions on the best stock trailer and then we will look for a nice pickup bed camper.  We do a lot of activities besides horse camping and having the pickup camper would allow us to have a multi use item for other camping trips.  Same idea behind the stock trailer, can use it for the horses and camping gear or to haul large, bulky objects.  And shopping smartly I believe we can get both for less than the cost of a LQ trailer that would not be as useful to us.  But this has been our analysis of of our needs, everyone will vary (as obviously stated above).
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-02-16 1:06 PM (#116660 - in reply to #116586)

Veteran

Here is a math way you could look at it....

cost of lq=nights in motel room a year X cost of motel room X number of years you keep trailer.

If cost of lq trailer is less than the other side of the equation than the lq trailer is worth it.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-16 3:59 PM (#116669 - in reply to #116586)

Expert

The cost of convenience?       Priceless
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-02-16 4:58 PM (#116671 - in reply to #116586)

Regular

And then, if like some of us, you plan to do camp/trail rides (with family)...there are other things to consider. A friend went a slightly different route. She has a camper on back of her truck and pulls a 2H slant bumper pull behind. Gives her much more flexibility for turning, etc. Of course, it's quite a camper, sleeps 4 (really only 3, but you can stuff 2 in the over cab sleeper portion) has a little stove, fridge, potty. She's quite happy with it. Just another idea to think outside the box!
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-02-16 7:10 PM (#116673 - in reply to #116671)

Veteran

I posted above about my LQ trailer...I wanted to add, my husbands idea of "the perfect arrangement" in his opinion is....buying a small motor home pulling a BP stock trailer...you have everything you need in the motorhome plus the trailer for the horses..but you can also use the motor home for other outtings that didn't involve the horses... He does make a good point...other than the fact that He doesn't ride or go with me camping..he stays home to "babysit" the rest of the livestock... That may also be an option you might want to consider...  :)
LazyDayHorseFarm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-02-16 7:42 PM (#116679 - in reply to #116586)

I'm one of those who have been towing a 2 horse straight load behind my Motorhome for the last two years. It's not a very large motorhome at only 21 feet, but it works well trailering within a few hundred miles of home. If I have to go through any mountainous areas for any great distances, it's a bit of a strain on the motorhome, so I use my three horse w/o living quarters for those type of trips which are few and far between.

Talk about convenient. I love traveling with the motorhome and do as much as I can. I'm sure the larger motorhomes are much more powerful then mine and do fine with long hilly trips, so if that is the route you ever think about going. Cheers to you.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/lazydayhorsefarm/RVsetupEastFork5-2008-1.jpg

301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-02-16 10:12 PM (#116685 - in reply to #116586)

Veteran

Many good replies, I'll add my 2 cents.  We started out with a pickup camper and a bumper pull.  Benefits, price (had less the 25k in truck, camper and trailer), easy to maneuver, could be used for other things.  Could still go back and get along with that setup and it was comfortable.  Now use an expensive LQ.  Benefits, very comfortable, more conveniences, can make trips to town without packing up camp.  We also carry electric fence so we no longer have to buy stalls at most rodeo's.  Also, like having the horses right there for feeding and care.  For us the cost of motels and stalls made it easier to spend the money.  One thing you also want to consider, if you do your homework find a nice used LQ, take care of it, you will get a pretty good percentage of your money back when you sell it.  Yes you will burn some more fuel pulling it and you will have some upkeep, but in my opinion the convenience of an LQ is worth it.  The money you pay for motels and stalls is gone forever.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-02-17 12:46 AM (#116693 - in reply to #116586)

Elite Veteran

Yeah- get used. They are out there. Let some one else pay the depreciation. I have seen some nices ones at $19k. Saw a nice 2-horse Featherlite LQ for only $16,500 !!!

Too bad the banks won't lend to me- : (    ( self-employed )

muleygirl
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-02-19 11:11 AM (#116797 - in reply to #116586)

If you get into the backcountry very much, it is easier to have a Truck/Camper pulling a smaller trailer, than a long LQ. And there are times that I just want to take a trip without the horses, and use the camper and truck.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-02-19 2:03 PM (#116806 - in reply to #116586)

Elite Veteran

I went with LQ trailer over truck/camper and BP trailer because I do lots of highway driving including mountain passes and wanted the stability of the gooseneck trailer at highway speeds. If your plans include longer hauls at highway speeds, you will probably be happier with a gooseneck hitch and LQ trailer. If your plans are mainly local hauls and rural roads/camping trips, you might be happier with the truck/camper and BP trailer setup.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-19 3:21 PM (#116810 - in reply to #116586)

Expert

We started out with the camper and BP trailer combination, owning four before we changed. Because we do almost no camping without the horses, the GN trailer was a better choice. A truck carrying a camper while pulling a BP trailer is very unstable, in cross winds, crossing bridges or while traveling uneven roads. The GN trailer is far superior in towing security. It is easier to hook up and storing one piece of equipment is easier than two.

If you often camp without your horses, the camper is a viable option. However, when you shop for a new camper, be sitting when you realize their costs. You can purchase a very nice, used all aluminum trailer with LQ for the same pricing.

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-19 4:18 PM (#116813 - in reply to #116586)

Regular

How do you decide? I think it takes time, and one day you'll just know what you really want to do, and you'll find a way to do it. Don't rush your decision.

If you are only wanting to go out a few weekends a year, and if you aren't loaded with extra money just wanting to be spent, then consider a gooseneck with a dressing room. An aluminum 3 horse with basic dressing room is reasonably priced. If you aren't concerned about being pretty - then you can make do in the dressing room at first. Last year I showed at breed shows by sleeping in my dressing room, and didn't spend over $300 to make it work. I bought a porta-potty ($100), bar fridge ($140), tiny microwave ($40) and a space heater ($40). Then I hauled in an old dresser to be my counter top/storage area, used an old easy chair as my seating and a wood TV table. It wasn't luxury, but I was close to my horses, comfortable and dry, able to read in the evening, and the bed on the gooseneck was really comfy.

If you find that you enjoy the whole deal, but want things better, then you can turn around and resell the basic trailer with dressing room and buy a LQ, or you can fix up your own dressing room.

I think this decision will vary from person to person, depending upon their budget, the frequency and location of their horse activities, their interests (some people hate camping and consider it work) and their other options.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)