'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Metal Wax

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-28 10:08 PM
22 replies, 11066 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

whh
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-03-12 6:15 AM (#117490)
Subject: Metal Wax

I just recieved my order of metal wax products. Have not tried it yet just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-12 9:46 AM (#117492 - in reply to #117490)
Subject: RE: Metal Wax

Expert

Be cautious about long term performance claims, when shown a finished product that is stored indoors. One flight of an aircraft is equal to many months wear on a finish, when compared to an aircraft sitting statically outside on the ramp. There are few environmental issues effecting the aluminum skin, whilst protected in an indoor climate controlled storage.

There are many products that will allow you to successfully polish aluminum. The final protective coating that reduces the aluminum's ability to oxidize, will be greatly compromised by various environmental issues. Hot sun, UV rays, rain and snow will all reduce the long term affectivity of any surfactant.

Only by using the product on your trailer in your location, can you determine how durable the long term results will be.

BOL  Gard

gaitin
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2010-03-12 12:23 PM (#117496 - in reply to #117490)

Regular

Please let us know how you liked the product. I have debated on ordering this product also. I just tried an aluminum polish that I bought at the automotive store; results were okay but not great. I just did one fender to see the results. I wash my trailer with an acid type cleaner but the finish dries dull and with streaks and water marks. Only the rear part of my trailer is unfinished aluminum but having to go through 3 or 4 steps to clean and polish really seems labor intensive. Just polishing the fender resulted in several terry cloth towels coated with the black residue; I can only imagine how many will be needed to polish it all.Any other suggestions out there? Please keep us posted. Thanks
whh
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-03-12 3:43 PM (#117508 - in reply to #117490)

Well I have tried the metal wax cleaner and I will have to say I am not one bit impressed. I did OK on the bare metal but did little to nothing on the painted aluminum. I plan to call back and let customer service know. I talked to them before buying the product and before using it and felt good about what I was told. I do not feel as good after trying the product. Mind you I have only tried the cleaner. This is just my experience others may have or will have better.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-12 4:45 PM (#117511 - in reply to #117490)

Expert

Many manufacturers make unreasonable claims about their products. Polishing aluminum is NOT an easy process, and involves many steps, products and a lot of elbow grease. There isn't a polish made, that can be simply wiped on and off. Once the aluminum is polished, it then has to be completely cleaned before any final sealant is applied.

Only through forums such as these, can the experiences of the purchasers of these products, be made public. We can all benefit from a product that works well, and refrain from those that don't.

LonghornTRL
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-03-12 7:24 PM (#117517 - in reply to #117490)

Don't waste our money. Acid wash will do the same and is not has expensive has Metal Wax. I order some and could not tell any different. Wash one side with Metal Wax the other side I acid washed. Was not impressed.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-03-13 8:06 AM (#117530 - in reply to #117490)

Expert

I know this thread is about Metal Wax.I have not tried it,however,I have tried a another similar product of an aluminum brightener and then a wash-on protectant with good results.I've been pleased with these products for quiet some time.

Washing and polishing either a (mill) all-aluminum finish trailer or one with painted/bright aluminum combo that is 20+feet long is NOT an easy undertaking.You know that detailing a car,especially a black one,is labor intensive and requires several steps.only a full day of busting your --- is going to yeild the results that the trailer had,brand new,the day it rolled off of the assembly line,and,it's not going to stay that way.

To each his own,and,if you have the time and energy I'm sure the products work (within their limits) fine.Black streaks are hard to remove from a painted surface and I'm not 100% sure that they don't make and recommend a different product just for that problem.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-03-13 8:28 AM (#117531 - in reply to #117496)

Expert

Originally written by gaitin on 2010-03-12 12:23 PM

Please let us know how you liked the product. I have debated on ordering this product also. I just tried an aluminum polish that I bought at the automotive store; results were okay but not great. I just did one fender to see the results. I wash my trailer with an acid type cleaner but the finish dries dull and with streaks and water marks. Only the rear part of my trailer is unfinished aluminum but having to go through 3 or 4 steps to clean and polish really seems labor intensive. Just polishing the fender resulted in several terry cloth towels coated with the black residue; I can only imagine how many will be needed to polish it all.Any other suggestions out there? Please keep us posted. Thanks

In a defense of sorts of the Metal Wax guy,Mark Jones,I commented on the original  Metal Wax thread( began by Dave) about the # of products offered.This is a copy of what Mark Jones replied about polishing an entire rig:

The next product is the Metalwax Polish. This is used on the stainless steel and fenders ,running boards, diamond plate. As it relates to the aluminum sides, it is best just to use the cleaner. Once you start to polish the extruded aluminum, it can be a never ending process.

The next product is the Top Wax. It is used on all painted surfaces and will remove black streaks with ease. It deep cleans the paint.

The above changes to Mark's post were made by me.(bold and font color for emphasis of his statement.) Give him a call and chance.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2010-03-13 8:32 AM
whh
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-03-13 3:53 PM (#117547 - in reply to #117531)

I Did not intend to come off talking junk about metal wax as I said I had talked to them and felt good about them and there product. That being said I called Mark and he gave me some good pointers and there product did what I was wanting it to.i had already acid washed the bare aluminum so I really could not see a lot of difference there. The white skin on our trailer was so dirty that it just was not coming clean till I used the cleaner and top wax the way Mark said. i have to say Mark is a stand up guy and I will order more metal wax products when the time comes.I guess part of the problem was I was thinking this was going to be real easy but there is a little effort required. But not nearly as much as trying to use compound and regular car wax. I tried it that way this morning just to see which way was easier and metal wax won hands down.
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-13 4:13 PM (#117548 - in reply to #117547)

Veteran

SO your opinion changed ...can you tell us wh it is you weren't doing and what it was exactly you did differently to change your original opinion...we learn for others mistakes...THANKS
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-03-13 9:22 PM (#117555 - in reply to #117547)

Expert

How much of the acid or flouride wash product  does it take to mix up enough to wash a big trailer? It looks as though it takes a 32 oz bottle to make a gallon,is that correct? that's a lot,IMO.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2010-03-13 9:24 PM
metalwax
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-03-13 9:39 PM (#117558 - in reply to #117490)

Folk's

Thank you for your comments...good and not so good. I continue to find ways to apply these products for the best results and I will soon have video and pictures on the site of what they can do and how to use them. I am getting good feedback from customers and I also have some challenges I am working on as well. If I am successful with some of these challenges, I will let you know on the web-site and if I am not, I will let you know on the forum.

Contact me on the site with any questions.

metalwax
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-03-13 10:03 PM (#117560 - in reply to #117490)

The amount of cleaner and water mix can depend on how bad the oxidation is. The rule is for a big trailer, one 32 oz bottle to 3 gallons of water. You can start out with 16 oz and 2 to 3 gallons to see how it will clean. It will work slower but allows you to control it better.  
metalwax
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-03-24 10:15 PM (#117976 - in reply to #117490)

This is Mark from JMT Distribution. I indicated that I was working to help someone with a tough situation on her Horse Trailer. We were successful and if you would like to see her e-mail to me, go on my site and look under Metal Wax Applications/testimonials.

We will be at Equine Affair in Columbus, Ohio next month as part of Mr Truck's booth. Come by and see us if you are there for first hand demonstrations.

fastguard
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-03-25 8:13 AM (#117986 - in reply to #117490)

Regular

A few before and after photos from my day today - about 1/2 bottle of greenmetal cleaner, some yellow wax, a few carpet swatches and a roll of papertowels. AMAZING job on the paint stains, can you see the heart I made?Although I couldn't see much difference on the silver corrugated aluminum (because I had it acid washed last week at almost 100% concentration and I amalmost happy with it.)To brief you, this trailer has been acid washed 2x, buffed and waxed toomany times to admit by many different detailers - to the point where some of the paint is down to the metal, and today the stains came off almost like magic with hardly any elbow grease and about two hours of my time. I can't wait to get it all done! And I haven't even used the top wax product yet.I am looking forward to trying your product on the hull of my dark navy blue boat.My friends that are so lucky to "just" have black streaks will soon becalling you...Please send more carpet! Just joking, is there anything else I can use?here is a link that shows before and after photos.http://picasaweb.google.com/JangleJones/Metalwax#or feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
fastguard
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-03-25 8:16 AM (#117988 - in reply to #117490)

Regular

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-03-25 9:09 AM (#117989 - in reply to #117490)

Expert

Lets see if this link works....  http://picasaweb.google.com/JangleJones/Metalwax#

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-03-26 5:41 AM (#118017 - in reply to #117490)

Expert

I looked at your pictures, it looks like you have used it to clean the white skin of the trailer? I have been using Purple Power($3.00) for that for years with great success, I thought this metal wax was for the bare aluminum?

Edited by HWBar 2010-03-26 5:43 AM
metalwax
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-03-26 7:22 AM (#118020 - in reply to #117490)

The Metal Wax product line has 4 different components. Depending on the job, you may not need all of them.

High Performance Cleaner is used to clean and brighten bare metal surfaces and also  prepare painted surfaces for the polish. When diluted properly will remove hard water stains on glass.

Metal Wax Polish is for bare metal surfaces( aluminum, diamond plate,stainless, brass , copper, wheels) and may also be used to clean dirty painted surfaces. It will not polish the paint, only the bare metal. If your painted surface does not require a deep cleaning then you would only use Top Wax

Top Wax is used on all painted surfaces to clean and polish. Very easy to apply and wipe off. Makes glass and plastic shine and provides UV protection. Makes windows and Plastic frames on Trailers and RV's look new again

Quick Shine can be used as a touch up for the Metal Wax. It will also clean jewelry.

These products do not contain any abrasives or silicone. They are smooth to go on and come off with not a lot of rubbing and polishing.

These products are professional grade and AMS certified. Full product instructions are listed on my Web-Site  www.jmtdistribution.com.

metalwax
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-03-26 11:27 AM (#118033 - in reply to #117490)

here's a few pics of what METALWAX can do by hand and no power ball in about 30 minutes.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-03-26 9:26 PM (#118043 - in reply to #118033)

Expert

I know it's a trite expression,but---OMG!!11 Received my products today,Mark.

BTW,this man sent me a box of his line of products today,free,I have not even paid for them.He told me if I dont' like the results,I don't have to pay for them,and,I don't have to return them. I haven't had a deal like that in a long time!

Thanks,Metal Wax (Mark.) Can't wait to try them out.I'll send you pics.I keep my trailers pretty clean to start,but,there are some tough spots on the older ones.

RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-03-28 7:50 PM (#118106 - in reply to #117490)

Veteran

It tasted bad but it spreads very easy on toast.
metalwax
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-03-28 10:08 PM (#118113 - in reply to #117490)

this is from one of our METALWAX customers, notice how the heat stains have been removed from the stainless. this was done with the H.P. metal cleaner and metalwax gel polish in about 10 minuetes.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)