'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Clarks Fork ride (beware picture intense!!!)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-30 11:02 PM
21 replies, 8231 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-09 10:08 PM (#85445)
Subject: Clarks Fork ride (beware picture intense!!!)

Extreme Veteran

Itchin' for that first campout, hope the moutains ain't to crowded for where I"m going....

Heading up Hwy 108 to check out the back side of the Dardenelle mountain range. I ride on the other side which is where Spicers Res. looks up to (all my snow rides.) I've heard about this place called Clarks Fork and lots of people go there, a horse campground. I've been researching on an old cabin I read in a "70's trail book and sound like a neat place to see, an old packers cabin, hope it's still there. The easiest and quickest route seems to be from a trail and Clarks Fork is where I need to stay. So with a 1 1/2 hour haul to over to Hwy 108 I reach Clarks Fork Fri. night. Figured I'd get up early and ride Sat. and have a chance to kick back after the ride and go home Sun. Yeah, first campout of the season. 4 rides in the sierras under the belt for 2008 and 1st campout!

With camp set up and Josie's pen up and her content I cooked up a quick Filet Minogne courtesy of the F2 Cattle Co......
 -

The road into Clark Fork horse camp is 5-6 miles back on a paved road so you can go 30 mph to get there with the curvey roads and the road to the camp is a nice dirt road with not too many chuck holes.......the road into the campspot in the horse campground......
 -

The view looking out my trailer door....
 -

With dinner in my belly I set down early for the night so I could get up and going the next day as the trip I planned was to be a 16 mile trip but could be longer depending on the terrain and trees that may have fallen and made the trail unmanageable from the snow this past winter.

The first of many fords I come across on this trip, but this was to be the calmest of them all. The rest were like rushing rivers with the snow melt off being so high and had to get off for one to lead Josie across as it was pretty swift...............
 -

and once I crossed a few more light fords we come into this gorgeous meadow and so green with the snow melt............
 -

We start to go up hill fast and a long haul of uphill up switch backs that get steeper and narrower.....The beginning of the climb going up into Jenkins Canyon......
 -

Once out of the switch backs and to a flat plateu we come into view of another beautiful small high mountain meadow.....good place to stop and let Josie munch down some feed!
 -

posting more hang on.......
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-09 10:09 PM (#85446 - in reply to #85445)
Subject: RE: Clarks Fork ride (beware picture intense!!!)

Extreme Veteran

We travel the trail that is less traveled by the looks of it, and hard to read. I look over a crest and see an awesome view of the back side of the Dardenelle range. It's spectacular back here! Great photo opps here!!!!!!!!

Back side of the Dardenelle's is full of volcanic rock........
 -

-

What a shot of Josie TWH!!!!!(so named by a board member buddy! and that ain't short for Tennesse Walker Horse as she is a reg. old blood quarter mare.).......
 -

Had to get myself in one with her too as she packs my butt around everywhere up there, bless her heart for taking the hard trails!
 -

The mules ears are just starting to come up and those that are already are smaller ones.....
 -

-

After a break behind the Dardenelles we continue to climb up and then down into Jenkins Canyon. Wow! It is really hard to find the trail or anything down in here! Thank gosh I've got the Gps to kinda read a trail and manuever a little easier around the down trees and snow drifts of 4-5 feet still! There is water rusing around everywhere and you can hear some big waterfalls running too. Here's a shot of one of the smaller ones I was able to get down to to photograph.....

-

still more to come.......
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-09 10:09 PM (#85447 - in reply to #85445)

Extreme Veteran

Ahhhh! finally we've come to Highland Creek, and it's pretty deep and rushing good! But I belive we can make it across just fine without getting off. As we ride across I have to keep Josie steady and going straight with my legs as the water with her looking at it is making her go sideways and all goofy. Just trust me this one time girl, I always put my faith in you, trust me to guide you through this one.

The pic. doesn't do justice to how deep and swift it is, but I've got another on below on what it looks like just up above from where we crossed..................

Highland Creek..........
 -

and up above...........
 -

the trail comes into Slaughter Canyon and I can see why, it's pretty granite like with lots of slicks..................
 -

-

A view along the Highland Creek with Hiram Peak in the background......
 -

Shoot! We should be coming up onto Hiram Meadow soon and the old cabin should be just before it. Ahhh, but what through the trees do I spy?
 -

The cabin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-09 10:10 PM (#85448 - in reply to #85445)

Extreme Veteran

-

Views around the cabin. It's such an awesome spot along the Highland Creek with views of Hiram, Airola, and Icerberg Peaks in the distance. Lots of lush grass and mountain cabbage plant too. I wished I would of brought hubby's mare and packed in as I don't want to leave I could stay here for the night easily!!! and well worth the catastrophy canyon trail!

-

-

-

Oh cool! and my favorit thing to photograph, outhouses!!!!!!!
 -

Josie chillin' out in the background while I eat a sandwhich......
 -

still posting one more page.....
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-09 10:11 PM (#85449 - in reply to #85445)

Extreme Veteran

After an hour stop I finally had to convince myself that we had to go back, as it was a 4 hour ride in, but should only be 3 out as I knew where to manuever around the bad spots in the trail.

Views going back out that were behind us going in......

A very boggy meadow with mountain cabbage plant just waiting to pop up through the snow.....
 -

A very cool cornice! I used to love to ski off of these in my hot dog ski days!!!!!!
 -

-

And finally after a 20.7 mile round trip with all the maneuvering around the trail to get to the trail we come back down into Clarks Fork camp.

A view of Clarks Fork itself.....
 -

Along the paved road going back into yet another trail head into the sierras was this neat rock wall along it............
 -

Too tired to cook and eat and too tired to care. Think I'll take a shower, brush and feed Josie and settle in early for the night and watch "Young Guns", should make for a nice campout movie................

-

Hope all enjoyed the ride to the Hiram Meadow Pack cabin...........
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-06-10 8:17 AM (#85453 - in reply to #85445)

Expert

Made us want to grab the mules and packsaddle and head thataway!

Thanks for going to all that trouble!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-06-10 10:28 PM (#85494 - in reply to #85445)

Expert

t's nice to see somebody getting out for a camp out. We still have too much snow in the high country.  I had to back my rig up a 1/2 mile last week, because of several snow drifts I couldn't cross and no where to turn around.  Got the horse and still couldn't ride very far, too much snow in the shadows of the big trees.

Plus it was only 60 today and tomorrow and spitting occassional sprinkles.  It's hard to get motivated to ride the horse in cold wet weather.

But theres hope. Supposed to get well into the 80's for the weekend.

Peanut
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-10 11:03 PM (#85496 - in reply to #85445)

Boy am I jealous!  You have some of the most beautiful places to ride that I have ever seen.  Were there any other campers there, is this someplace that stays busy with a lot of riders?

I know I can't drive to California from Tennessee, but it is something to dream about doing...........

Cathy

Jellbelle
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-06-11 12:34 PM (#85533 - in reply to #85445)

I'm soooo totally jealous!
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-12 8:56 AM (#85562 - in reply to #85496)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Peanut on 2008-06-10 9:03 PM

Boy am I jealous!  You have some of the most beautiful places to ride that I have ever seen.  Were there any other campers there, is this someplace that stays busy with a lot of riders?

I know I can't drive to California from Tennessee, but it is something to dream about doing...........

Cathy

When I pulled in there was an older couple way at the far end in the group camp, I drove down there to turn around. They left that night, so I had the whole campground to myself......This place come around late July and Aug. is swarmed with horses, but none really take the trail or trails I did. They kinda just hang out around camp. I can't see why they would do that as there is tons of places to adventure to as you can see from my pics

dancinon
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-19 12:27 PM (#85988 - in reply to #85445)

New User

Wow! All I can say is you and Josie are my new heros! You did that ride alone!? And MY horse won't even get in the trailer by himself without emotionally crashing!
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-19 4:53 PM (#86013 - in reply to #85445)

Veteran

WOW!!! TO have something that close to ride is awesome. Back here in Se Minn. it is flat lands, our horses don't know what to do with steep hill.
Wild Bill
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-23 6:20 PM (#86213 - in reply to #85445)

Regular

CowPony,I spend about 1 1/2 months at Clarks Fork every year and thier is alot of trails you can ride. Arnot trail you can take it all the way to Highlands Lakes and come back down Disaster Creek Trail back to the horse camps. I guess about 12-14 miles round trip, just guessing. If you are interested in the Clarks Fork area trails just let me know and I'll give you information on them. I'm going up after the 4 of July so most of the campers will be gone. The picture of the meadow at the top of Jenkins Canyon is were I camp at some times, it sure is pretty. Thanks for shareing your experiance with us.
PS, the pictures are awsome
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-24 12:53 PM (#86267 - in reply to #85445)

Extreme Veteran

Hey there Wild Bill,

Yeah, I know there are "tons" of trails, just wasn't enough days for me to do them all. Going back up in July also with family, they will camp and fish, I will be the only horse back person. Know about the Highlands area like the back of my hand. Husband introduced me to all that as he used to pack in his younger days. Gonna ride up into Half Moon Lake one day, and then take off over out of Iceberg and ride over to the PCT and ride up to some of the peaks. Maybe I will meet you along the trail somewhere......

What has been neat is alot of folk have been PMing me to say they have been there. Must be a busy place or had to have been one years back........

That cabin come to find out, I started to read all the writing on the door, Heck, I know the families that use that camp to camp and take care of thier cattle! The neat thing was checking out all the dates from back in the late 60's and 70's of when they wrote down how many pair they brought in and other things. It was cool to see that and actually know the folks really well.....

Wild Bill
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-25 5:00 PM (#86364 - in reply to #85445)

Regular

Cow Pony, Half Moon Lake is very pretty, I have been thier many times when I use to pack out of Highlands Lakes during deer hunting season back in the 70's. Clarks Forks horse camp is usually not to many people thier except during holidays like every other place. Thiers a Marine copter that went down years ago off of Boulder Creek trail that I'm going to look for when I go up in July, it's suppose to be close to the trail. By the way, what camera do you use? It sure takes nice pictures.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-26 3:40 PM (#86427 - in reply to #85445)

Extreme Veteran

WB,

Wow! Did that copter go down this year or last year sometime, or awhile back? If it's Marine they prob. hiked on in or helicoptered in and took it all back, figuring that' what the gov't prob. would have them do.....

I have a Sony Full HD 1080 (DSC-H7) with a 15x zoom. It's awesome! I graduated up from a regular Sony small digital. Husband got it for me for xmas. I do all those pics from the back of Josie, she hears me pull it out, stops, waits for the click then the little music when it shuts of and then trails on along! LOL!!!! I do all my pics with her and I in them with the self timer on it. It give me 10 sec. to run and get in any pic. and I"m getting really good at that! LOL!!!!!!

Hey, by the way, did you ever get any mulies up there hunting, as I know they cross up into Higlands and have been cross breeding with the others......

Wild Bill
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-27 5:27 PM (#86520 - in reply to #85445)

Regular

CP, the helio went down years ago, not for sure how long ago though. The people that run the camp grounds at Clarks Fork gave me a hand drawn map.Will be interesting if I can find the wreck.I've asked alot of horseman at the camps and no one has ever heard about it so it must be a old wreck. Your right, the govt. usually clears all wreckage after a crash but this one they left for some reason. Right now they have a fire up by
Kennedy Meadows. Hope its out and clear before I go up.
The largest mulie I ever saw in Highland Lakes area was about 1 1/2 miles southwest of Half Moon Lake about 4 years ago.He had a spread of at least 26-28" and he was high up in the rocks, way above timber line. I was doing a pre season scouting trip when I saw him.Of course he was no ware to be found on opening day, he didn't get that big being dumb. I'm sure some of the black tail and mulies interbreed.
Thanks for the info on the camera, I will have to check one out.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-27 5:52 PM (#86522 - in reply to #85445)

Extreme Veteran

Oh Shoot! Kennedies dont' need to get burned down again! They are trying to open the resturaunt by July! Do you know whereabouts the fire is at?
Wild Bill
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-27 10:29 PM (#86538 - in reply to #85445)

Regular

CP,when I said Kennedy Meadows I should have told you thats it's a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR)web site for aircraft that I was looking at. I'm a pilot and I always look up the TFRs before I leave home so I don't make a trip for nothing. I'm not for sure exactly where the fire is but it's close to Kennedy. They have TFRs so they don't have problems with pilots wanting to take a look and see and get in thier way, that way the tanker pilots don't have to be looking for stray aircraft. They also have fires going on around Grass Valley and Sugar Pine. If you want the exact location of the Kennedy fire I can send you the Lat. and Lont. As of right now they have 12 major fires in Northern California going on right now far as I can see on the web site that I'm looking at. Lighting strikes are the major problems. Would be nice if we got a few inches of rain without the lighting.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-28 10:35 AM (#86553 - in reply to #85445)

Extreme Veteran

That link would be great Bill! I'm only looking at NOAA and CDF or as they call it now Cal Fire. It was CDF when I was a firefighter years back, my how things change, and those aren't showing to much......or what I want to see I should say.
Wild Bill
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-30 4:13 PM (#86684 - in reply to #85445)

Regular

CP, Looks like Kennedy fire might be out as I couldn't find any thing on it or I missed the information some how. Her are the 2 web sites that I use. airspace.nifc.gov and nifc.gov/fire_info/nfn.htm
My dad was a tanker pilot flying out of Columbia and we lived in Jamestown back in the late 50's and early 60's. I take my hat off for any one that fight fires now or back then, very dangerous work.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-06-30 11:02 PM (#86705 - in reply to #85445)

Extreme Veteran

Ah very cool to fly for fires! I always wanted to be a smoke jumper, or work at the helibase for CDF. I did have the hotshots call me one season, wanted me actually full time, but I had gotten out of it, as firefighting paid my way through college so I could vet tech. After 10 years of large and small animal teching, I found my way to my husband and the ranch, now I'm a cattle rancher and he works his job, a heavy equip. operator foreman.  Thanks for the links! I will check these out and bookmark them.

Take some pics of that plane if ya find it and post them for me or IM me and I can give ya my email so you can send them.....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)