'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Slantload questions-tying horses

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-31 10:04 PM
20 replies, 6825 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-26 6:59 PM (#88328)
Subject: Slantload questions-tying horses

Regular

I am considering buying my first truck/trailer. I have discovered that the typical "starter trailer" is now a 2h slant, and the little straight-load manger trailers of my 4-H days seem to be disappearing. The dealer nearest me doesn't even carry them anymore, saying that they have no resale value and that no one will buy them as they can get a slant with a dressing room for a few hundred more. Would you experienced haulers agree with this?

My inexperience with the slant leads to my question. I know that when loading, I should close the butt bar and door, then tie the horse and when unloading I should untie the horse before opening the back. With a slant without drop-down windows on the head side, I could close in the front horse and then tie him by walking in the trailer. But how would I tie the back horse? It seems I would have to tie him, then leave through the back door, which violates the principle of not having a horse tied without being closed in in back. And when letting him out, I wouldn't want to open the back door while he is still tied. Is there typically room to reach through the bars to tie/untie from the outside? Or do I need to make sure I get the drop-down windows? I guess I would have the same issue with a stock trailer--no experience with those either.

Thanks for any info! I am trying hard to learn as much as I can so that I don't make a bad expensive decisison...

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tuffyspop
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-26 7:11 PM (#88329 - in reply to #88328)
Subject: RE: Slantload questions-tying horses

Regular

Here's how I load ours...

We have a 3 horse Slant Load Exiss.  I load the first horse that likes to turn around rather than back out, and tie him to a quick release tie on the off side of his halter.  Close the stud wall on him.

I load the second horse (he backs out or turns around) the same way and close the barrier on him.

I load the third horse, tie her the same way...on the halter offside, then use my thumbs in her "get off me" spots behind her front leg and at her hip...move her over and back out of the trailer.  I hitch up the butt bar and close the door.

I keep the drop downs open, but leave the prison bars up.  When we get to where we're going, I unlock the offside halter lead on the two rear horses.

When I drop the buttbar, the last in is first out, and she comes out willingly...I tell her "step...step" to let her know to step down.  (Never used a ramp).

Second out is loose, but behind the slant.  I'll tell him to stand, then grab the lead rope and lead him out or back him out, whichever he seems more willing to do.

Third out, I open the slant, reach around  and undo the offside quick release, then lead him out.  He's 16 hands and turns around just fine in the 3Hslant.

It's all what they get used to, I suppose. 

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-07-26 7:45 PM (#88334 - in reply to #88328)

Elite Veteran

For convience, drops on the head are handy to tie/untie as needed, remove a hay bag, or quickly release a panicky horse.

Some 2-horse slants do not have a butt bar, but rather a full swing back door. I have this style for my day trailer and have taught my horse not to back until I give them the back queue. I would prefer to have the 60/40 door, but hubby likes the full door for hauling other things so I lost out on that vote. I do like to have slats with removable plexi-glass or drops on the hip for more ventilation and vents over each horse.

Remember to also consider the width and height of the trailer. Most newer trailers are at least 7 foot tall and 6'9" or wider. Are you looking at bumperpull with dressing room or gooseneck? There are some very nice newer style straightload trailers out there with dressing rooms that are Bumperpull - warmblood size.

I use quick release snaps on my trailer ties, but do not like the bungee type rope. I tie them in the trailer using trailer ties, remove the lead rope and then shut the divider.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-07-26 7:51 PM (#88335 - in reply to #88328)

Expert

In a "perfect" world the horse will wait calmly to unload.  With the proper training they should be fine most of the time.

That being said........in the real world I never tie solid in or to the trailer.  I use either "The Clip", Blocker Tie Ring, or velcro tear away trailer ties.

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-26 8:44 PM (#88338 - in reply to #88328)

Regular

Thanks for the suggestions. I love my Blocker tie rings and plan on using them in whatever trailer I get. I plan to get a bumper pull. I'm not finding straight loads with dressing rooms around here (Texas), at least not for <$10K, my absolute upper limit. Everything seems to be a slant--could that be a regional thing?

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-26 10:13 PM (#88343 - in reply to #88328)

Expert

I would get the front drop-downs at a minimum.  Back drops allow a lot of air flow during the summer.

We went from a 2 horse straight load to a 3 horse slant.  I used to have to use leg wraps to prevent leg & hoof injuries.  Haven't had a single injury in the slant load.  The slant stalls let the horse brace between the next horse's feet.  The front drops helped in retraining the horses to load.  As soon as the horse loaded, he got a treat or a bite from a bucket of grain through the drop-down.  Now they self load, waiting to be tied through the window and the treat. 

Unloading, the last horse is tied till the butt bar is down.  When his halter is released, the "back" command starts the process.  We call "step" when the next step is out and down.  The next horse is unloaded backwards from inside the trailer.  Otherwise, he'll turn around and jump out.  I let him get the back feet on the ground and ask him to halt 1/2 out of the trailer door.  Otherwise he'll rush out like a shot.

Your horses may need a different approach to load & unload.

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-26 11:00 PM (#88345 - in reply to #88328)

Regular

Thanks! Most of the slant loads I am seeing do not have butt bars. Is this a problem? It sounds like your slant load has them--or just the back stall?
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-26 11:12 PM (#88346 - in reply to #88345)

Expert

Originally written by jtravis on 2008-07-26 10:00 PM

Thanks! Most of the slant loads I am seeing do not have butt bars. Is this a problem? It sounds like your slant load has them--or just the back stall?

Just the back stall.  When the divider is locked in position, the trailer walls form the stall front and back.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-27 9:44 AM (#88351 - in reply to #88328)

Expert

OKay - so your first question is, are their side-by-side trailers for less than $10k?  I have to believe there are - you might have to order one from a more northern or east coast location (NC, SC, etc.)  Heck, the bare-bones version of my 3H GN Titan Avalanche is less than $10k (windows at the head and butt, 2 rear doors, 4' short wall) before shipping and tax.

SO far as tying the horses when you don't have windows at the head.  Tie your lead rope or trailer tie to a post or ring and leave it there. Use a different lead rope to load the horse. Exit the trailer and reach through the slats - or, with a trained horse, just clip the lead/trailer tie and then swing the divider closed.

So far as no butt bar on slant loads - Yup... it makes me crazy. Unless there is a rear tack, there is typically no butt bar on the rear stall of a low cost slant. HOWEVER, you could take the trailer to a car collision place or trusted welder and have U-bolts/rings installed and then add a chain that you can cover with the pipe insulation and duct tape.  It scares the crap out of me to have a horse that MIGHT be leaning on the back doors.  Or special order your trailer with a rear chain.

Good Luck.

30wheeler
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-07-27 12:15 PM (#88360 - in reply to #88328)

JTravis, My advice is to study the forums on this website. Especially the truck/trailer combos. The local D.O.T. in your area is not driver friendly. I have personally hauled too much heavy equipment there. Do your homework and enjoy.........
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-27 9:13 PM (#88377 - in reply to #88328)

Expert

With the heat and humidity down here, I would absolutely have the head drop downs, and either a stock slat or drop down on the rear.  This will aid in the loading having the head drops as well.... good luck with your new rig, enjoy!
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-28 8:44 AM (#88391 - in reply to #88328)

Veteran

This is a personal thing, but I will never own a horse that does not self-load.  I travel alone far too much... I can't count on having help.  Here's the drill for me, my horse, and my 2h slant-load GN with headside drops... I find that doing it exactly this way every time decreases the risk of stupid things like forgetting to detach the trailer tie before asking him to back up:

1: Open drop-down and bars
2: Open back door and butt-bar
3: Send horse into rear trailer stall
4: Put up butt bar and drape end of lead rope over it
5: Climb up onto wheel fender
6: Attach trailer tie to halter cheek ring
7: Detach lead rope from halter and snap it to a ring on the hay bag
8: Close the bars
9: Close and latch the rear doors

UNLOADING
1: Open the bars
2: Open rear door
3: Shovel out poop
4: Return to head window, climb up onto wheel fender
5: Attach lead rope to halter, detach trailer tie, double-check that lead rope isn't tangled in hay bag straps
6: Return to back of trailer, pick up end of lead rope
7: Drop butt-bar
8: Gently tug, saying "back, back" and then "STEP" when he gets to the edge
9: Rinse, lather, repeat (just kidding)

EDITED TO ADD A COUPLE OF MISSING STEPS... like drop the butt-bar.  LOL

Edited by Sharon 2008-07-31 9:10 AM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-07-28 9:12 AM (#88392 - in reply to #88328)

My preference for a bumper pull is a stock trailer designed for horses. Delta builds nice ones (as do many others, I just happen to be familiar with Delta). The slant dividers add weight. My current stock trailer is a gooseneck with a cut gate in the middle. But I started out with the bumper pull stock type and used them happily for a long time with a half ton pick up. Happy shopping.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-28 11:50 AM (#88403 - in reply to #88328)

Expert

I have a slant which I prefer. Anway- my horses will walk right in themselves. its not hard to teach them, just takes time. No beating or shouting. I do not tie them,they load up, I shut the divider and load the next ( if there is one) up goes the butt bar, shut the door. When we off-load, they wait til I go in and ask them to back out. Everything is done calmly, no shouting and no hurrying. They know what we expect them to do.

Edited by farmbabe 2008-07-28 11:51 AM
trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-07-28 1:14 PM (#88408 - in reply to #88391)

Regular

Originally written by Sharon on 2008-07-28 8:44 AM

This is a personal thing, but I will never own a horse that does not self-load.  I travel alone far too much... I can't count on having help.  Here's the drill for me, my horse, and my 2h slant-load GN with headside drops... I find that doing it exactly this way every time decreases the risk of stupid things like forgetting to detach the trailer tie before asking him to back up:

1: Open drop-down and bars
2: Open back door and butt-bar
3: Send horse into rear trailer stall
4: Put up butt bar and drape end of lead rope over it
5: Climb up onto wheel fender
6: Attach trailer tie to halter cheek ring
7: Detach lead rope from halter and snap it to a ring on the hay bag
8: Close the bars

UNLOADING
1: Open the bars
2: Open rear door
3: Shovel out poop
4: Return to head window, climb up onto wheel fender
5: Attach lead rope to halter, detach trailer tie, double-check that lead rope isn't tangled in hay bag straps
6: Return to back of trailer, pick up end of lead rope
7: Gently tug, saying "back, back" and then "STEP" when he gets to the edge
8: Rinse, lather, repeat (just kidding)

I like your style. Like you.. I travel alone most of the time. I have a similar routine but there a few things you do that I will add to my routine. Speaking of forgetting to unhook a trailer tie.. our older mare backed out of a trailer once while still connected to a "bungee type tie".. it wasn't pretty. I threw the rest of those bungee trailer ties in the trash and also decided the ramp on the trailer was contributing to her backing out entirely too fast. I loved the ramp for ease of loading saddles into the rear tack, but went back to a step up trailer. I also make sure horses get to "stand" in the trailer for awhile after we have arrived at our destination. Scooping out the manure will give me something to do while they stand. :-) We have also had our share of issues loading and unloading over the years. I don't enjoy getting in the trailer with a horse. It is especially tough if you aquire a new one that is used to turning around and jumping out and you are trying to teach the horse to quietly back out.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-07-28 1:52 PM (#88409 - in reply to #88403)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-07-28 11:50 AM

I have a slant which I prefer. Anway- my horses will walk right in themselves. its not hard to teach them, just takes time. No beating or shouting. I do not tie them,they load up, I shut the divider and load the next ( if there is one) up goes the butt bar, shut the door. When we off-load, they wait til I go in and ask them to back out. Everything is done calmly, no shouting and no hurrying. They know what we expect them to do.

Exactly, no drama, no tieing, no untieing, I pull on the first ones tail to get him/her to unload. Never had a problem. I have seen more problems from folks that tie than those that don't.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-28 2:24 PM (#88416 - in reply to #88328)

Expert

Making sure their head is untied before dropping the butt bar could save animals and people some problems.  Ours are broke to load by sending them in, and they are really broke to tie, but they get the same safety sequence in not tying til the butt bar is in place, and not dropping the butt bar til they are untied, as if they were not as broke as they are.  You never know when you animal might have to load in anything from a stock trailer, slant load, or litte straight 2 horse, or be unloaded and tied in an emergency, so having them really broke to load and really broke to stand tied is time well spent as safety measures.
KCW
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-30 4:08 PM (#88623 - in reply to #88328)

Veteran

Trailer: Two horse straight load (Walk-thru) gooseneck with a Dressing room and a few options. Note:The stalls in a slant load aren't as big, that is why I'd go with a straight load.
Horses like: Room, light and ventilation
Truck: 3/4 ton truck (Note: Get the 8' bed.)

The perfect combination! That was simple.
Have fun...........Be safe. 

KCW
Email: kcwalker@mail.com 

Edited by KCW 2008-07-31 9:48 AM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-31 12:06 AM (#88645 - in reply to #88328)

Expert

Are you looking for new or used?  There are dozens of used ones listed on here.  Here is a 2 horse slant with a dressing room.  http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=163970

We had a 1980 WW 2 horse and didn't have any trouble selling it when we decided to.  Maybe the dealers near Houston are just trying to get rid of what they have on the lot instead of getting what you want.  I think the "days of that trailer are gone" statement is wrong.  There are LOTS of them running around here. 

Edited by Terri 2008-07-31 12:08 AM
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-31 2:19 PM (#88684 - in reply to #88645)

Expert

Originally written by Terri on 2008-07-31 1:06 AM

Are you looking for new or used?  There are dozens of used ones listed on here.  Here is a 2 horse slant with a dressing room.  http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=163970

We had a 1980 WW 2 horse and didn't have any trouble selling it when we decided to.  Maybe the dealers near Houston are just trying to get rid of what they have on the lot instead of getting what you want.  I think the "days of that trailer are gone" statement is wrong.  There are LOTS of them running around here. 

I think the OP was originally looking for a 2H side-by-side - hence the "days of that trailer are gone".... but it's not true at all.

Look at all the Trail-ets, Hawks, Merhows, Kingston, Logan, etc. I think even Valley (VERY starter trailer, not the best designed) has a side-by-side stock type.  My girlfriend has Bison 2H side-by-side. It has built in mangers, is 7' tall, divider and 2 rear doors.  I had a Circle J galvanealed that I loved.

I bet CM, Circle J, Titan, Corn Pro, Featherlite, and many others offer what the OP is seeking.  It just depends on what the OP wants in material and longevity. Under 10k... primarily steel. have to watch the flooring and ceiling, vents, and doors. Some are alum, some are galvanealed.

Also - the OP should consider buying from dealers farther out from home town.  

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-31 10:04 PM (#88715 - in reply to #88328)

Regular

Thank you for the great suggestions. I do know there are still straight load trailers out there--all I meant was that many of these seem to have been replaced by slants. When I search this site, I see very few straight loads with dressing room in my area. The straight loads I see are the little ones with the tack area under the manger. At the barn where I board, nearly all the 2H trailers are slants. I think it is a good suggestion to broaden my search beyond the Houston area. Of the trailer manufacturers mentioned a couple posts back, I think the only one I see carried by local dealers is CM. CM has a straight load manger (no DR) and a slant, but I think the slant stalls may be too small. Of course maybe there is a dealer I've missed, and I know they occasionally get trade-ins by those other manufacturers. And of course individuals will be selling their 2Hs when they upgrade. I will keep looking. And I just bought my truck, so if I run across something, I can go ahead and get it if I like it. Thanks everyone for all your help!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)